View Full Version : Lifechurch.tv's Block Party for the Homeless

metro
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
It's time for parts 2 and 3 to lifechurch.tv's homeless/inner city compassion ministries.

Love Is An Action November 10th Block Party

LifeChurch.tv is currently working in conjunction with local businesses as well as city and state officials to relieve Oklahoma’s homeless population.

It is estimated that 1.8 percent of the population of Oklahoma is homeless. That is approximately 60,000 men, women and children living on the streets.

This is an event that has the potential to change the perspectives of not only our church, but also our entire community. When we take the time to internalize what that could mean for our city, we are motivated to take the opportunity to use this event to make the best impact we possibly can. In an effort to learn more about our homeless population, LifeChurch.tv is throwing a Block Party which will be held on November 10th for the homeless and poor in Oklahoma City and in surrounding areas.

We are utilizing a building and vacant lot in downtown OKC and will set up a “free store” where people can come and get what they need. We are expecting anywhere from 1500 to 3000 people. The smallest kindness to them is overwhelming. This mission deals with relationships and showing the love of Jesus Christ. Giving these people a helping hand teaches us the true meaning of God’s grace and humbles us.

LifeChurch.tv is making every effort to build a true Christ like church, by doing what Jesus did when he walked among us, reaching out to the needy and seemingly hopeless. We, as a church, strive to be fully devoted followers of Christ, and are working to be instrumental in changing the face of Oklahoma. You will be in on the ground floor of this change in our community. We appreciate your commitment and flexibility in helping us carry out this event.

To register for this mission go to the missions’ booth. The cost for this mission is $10.00. You are not fully registered until you pay.

Oklahoma City, OK: Love Is An Action November 10th Block Party | LifeChurch.tv (http://blog.lifechurch.tv/OKC/2007/10/love_is_an_action_november_10t.html)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love Is An Action November 3rd Pre Party

We finally have a location for the Love Is An Action Block Party. It is a building directly across the street from the City Rescue Mission and is located at 823 W. California in downtown OKC. This building was purchased by a pastor from California, Tim. After the purchase of the building Tim discovered that the building was known as satin’s strong hold by the locals. It was being used as a hub for drug dealing and prostitution. Tim resigned his post as pastor of a church in California and moved to Oklahoma. With the help of the OKC Police Department he shut the building down and removed the occupants. Tim is now in the process of turning the building into a refuge for the homeless. The vision God has placed on his heart will be life changing for everyone who hears it. Tim does not claim ownership of this building but calls it a refuge for “ANYONE” whose goal it is to further the Kingdom.

The November 3rd Pre-LIAA Block Party Micro Mission will look like this. Each volunteer will go to the refuge armed with 3 sack lunches. The sack lunches will consist of (1) Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, (1) Snack and (1) drink. We will arrive at around 9:00 AM to do some cleaning, landscaping and to feed the homeless people in the area with our sack lunches.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Because yeah...They NEED a party.

60k of them? That sure seems like an awfully high number.

kevinpate
10-19-2007, 05:31 AM
I think 60K was a statewide total, not an okc total. Doesn't seem beyond the realm to me

Karried
10-19-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm so glad I re-read the article. When I first scanned it, it appeared that the 'big party' consisted of handing out Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches! lol, I thought, well, it's at least 'something' but not really going to attract 60K for that!

Then I read it again and realized that was the pre-party when volunteers will be cleaning the building!

Anyway, looks like it will be a big event where people can get some needed items. I think I will look into registering to help out at the party.

Question? Is there an age limit on volunteers? I would like to bring my very mature 14 year old to help.

CMSturgeon
10-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I can't believe this hasn't turned into a 20 page thread yet!

metro
10-19-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm so glad I re-read the article. When I first scanned it, it appeared that the 'big party' consisted of handing out Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches! lol, I thought, well, it's at least 'something' but not really going to attract 60K for that!

Then I read it again and realized that was the pre-party when volunteers will be cleaning the building!

Anyway, looks like it will be a big event where people can get some needed items. I think I will look into registering to help out at the party.

Question? Is there an age limit on volunteers? I would like to bring my very mature 14 year old to help.

Karried. I'm glad to see your interested in helping the homeless. No age limit to volunteer if a parent or guardian is in attendance. The $10 donation is a suggestion and if it stands in anyones way of participating, please let the church know and they'll cover your way. It helps pay for costs associated with the event, as well as signifies that there is a cost to help others, etc. I'm sure the Missions Pastor can tell anyone more about it.

Oh GAWD, it's not a "party" as you might be used to. As Karried said, it's helping the homeless and neglected get items/services/ and love they need bad. I see it as a good thing and teaching others to reach out to a neglected and often overlooked or stereotyped part of our society. However you view it, these people still need help and I encourage you to do so.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-20-2007, 04:03 AM
Oh GAWD, it's not a "party" as you might be used to. As Karried said, it's helping the homeless and neglected get items/services/ and love they need bad. I see it as a good thing and teaching others to reach out to a neglected and often overlooked or stereotyped part of our society. However you view it, these people still need help and I encourage you to do so.

I understand that. I was just being snarky.

:sofa:

Karried
10-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I love that word....

Snarky,snarky,snarky.. ... I could say that all day. I think I will ...snarky, snarky, snarky...lol

Yes, I think it's a great idea.. speaking of which, I'm going to post an Adopt a Family for Christmas thread with the info on helping out a family in need.... tis the season.

I always think about the stress and heartache a parent might feel wanting to give their children a memorable holiday and not being able to.

solitude
10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I really like this idea. Good stuff. One thing kind of gave me cause for pause though. On the Lifechurch site it says:

"LifeChurch.tv is making every effort to build a true Christ like church, by doing what Jesus did when he walked among us, reaching out to the needy and seemingly hopeless....To register for this mission go to the missions’ booth. The cost for this mission is $10.00. You are not fully registered until you pay."

Did Jesus charge the disciples for helping feed the poor? I'm not sure what the purpose is in charging those who are willing to go into the mission field. There sure shouldn't be a need for those willing to work to fund a project this size. There are too many corporations ready to give food, etc. to get this done. That first part sounds great, the second sounds typically megachurch. $$$$.

Maybe someone affiliated with Lifechurch can explain the rational behind this?

BailJumper
10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Here is my (what is sure to be very unpopular) two cents (which also matches the amount of money I'd give to the homeless).

Just what downtown needs, more reason to attract even more homeless.

I don't believe that 60K number for a minute - but they can claim it all day - since there is no way any organization can get an accurate count of the homeless.

For a majority of the 'homeless' it is a very temporary situation. For the rest it is a choosen way of life or the result of mental limitations (aka they are nuts) or substance abuse.

The persistent bums are a blight on OKC and need to be hammered, not pampered.

And, before you totally dismiss my opinions, yes, I have some limited experience with the homeless when I volunteered with the REST Homeless Day Shelter downtown for several years when it was run by Carlos Falcon.

Offer free stuff to the homeless and they will show up in droves. You won't solve anything, but you'll have plenty of participants.

metro
10-21-2007, 08:48 PM
BailJumper, as someone stated above the 60K homeless is STATEWIDE, not downtown OKC, the downtown OKC homeless population has been estimated between 2,000-3,000 by several agencies. Either way you view it, these people need help, they have some crisis in their lives that are causing them to be this way. The thing is we can choose to be a part of the problem or part of the solution.

BailJumper
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I never said I didn't understand the estimate was state wide. I simply do not believe that number. I also think they should qualify ANY number by stating MOST people/families are homeless for a very short period of time and raise themselves out of homelessness.

Try talking to the store owners in downtown near these homless facilities. They will tell you the homeless do nothing but steal merchandise and harass the customers. The only business they do is when they use their welfare Visa cards to buy alcohol.

I say chairty like this without requirements is worthless.

I'm all for housing and providing homeless with skills, education, food, healthcare, etc. but put a time limit on it on a case-by-case basis.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
I say chairty like this without requirements is worthless.

I'm all for housing and providing homeless with skills, education, food, healthcare, etc. but put a time limit on it on a case-by-case basis.

Quiet you! No about sense talking comes it when to homeless! the

solitude
10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I really like this idea. Good stuff. One thing kind of gave me cause for pause though. On the Lifechurch site it says:

"LifeChurch.tv is making every effort to build a true Christ like church, by doing what Jesus did when he walked among us, reaching out to the needy and seemingly hopeless....To register for this mission go to the missions’ booth. The cost for this mission is $10.00. You are not fully registered until you pay."

Did Jesus charge the disciples for helping feed the poor? I'm not sure what the purpose is in charging those who are willing to go into the mission field. There sure shouldn't be a need for those willing to work to fund a project this size. There are too many corporations ready to give food, etc. to get this done. That first part sounds great, the second sounds typically megachurch. $$$$.

Maybe someone affiliated with Lifechurch can explain the rational behind this?

No response, so I thought I would try again. My question about charging for missions is above.

Midtowner
10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
The church doesn't want to put a strain on its very limited budget by wasting money on charitable pursuits.

They need to buy projector bulbs and laser machines.

PUGalicious
10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
lol

bretthexum
10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Good grief - here we go again. BailJumper - whats your point? Do you think they pulled 60K out of the air? Is it just an artificially inflated number just to try get more publicity? Those darn churches distorting the facts eh....

bretthexum
10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
The church doesn't want to put a strain on its very limited budget by wasting money on charitable pursuits.

They need to buy projector bulbs and laser machines.

LOL... Amen to that!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Good grief - here we go again. BailJumper - whats your point? Do you think they pulled 60K out of the air? Is it just an artificially inflated number just to try get more publicity? Those darn churches distorting the facts eh....

Well, if you think that the church isn't above inflating the numbers to further their own cause...

I have a hard time with that number myself. That's what, 20% MORE than the population of Moore? That's a lot of homeless.

BailJumper
10-24-2007, 06:02 AM

My point was spelled out pretty darn clear. I DON'T BELIEVE THEIR NUMBERS. How more clear do I need to be? Also, like I said, every study I have read confirms that MOST situations of homelessness are TEMPORARY.

I put NOTHING past churches - with their 5-story gody crosses and million dollar Christmas plays, I think it's the biggest racket around.

metro
10-24-2007, 08:18 AM
So churches are wrong for spending any money that is not for compassion, however it's okay to pay for outrageous NBA and other pro athletes salaries so they can act like idiots and pay taxes for their palaces? Why does it matter? People willfully give to churches just like others give to pro athletes and such. At least the churches are doing mostly good in the community. I'm not saying pro athletes don't as well, but come on the hate and biasness spewed towards the church is obviously skewed and not equal with the standards people judge other things.

PUGalicious
10-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I wasn't aware that the NBA and other pro leagues were tax-exempt charitable organizations. Or that they held themselves to the standards of Scripture.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-24-2007, 08:52 AM
So churches are wrong for spending any money that is not for compassion, however it's okay to pay for outrageous NBA and other pro athletes salaries so they can act like idiots and pay taxes for their palaces? Why does it matter? People willfully give to churches just like others give to pro athletes and such. At least the churches are doing mostly good in the community. I'm not saying pro athletes don't as well, but come on the hate and biasness spewed towards the church is obviously skewed and not equal with the standards people judge other things.

Looking at it from the point of view of somebody that's picking at the church...Professional sports provide a product for the person giving the money. Churches really don't.

I'm not saying that the churches don't do any good, quite the contrary, but you hardly get a return on your investment. 8%, 10%, 2%, gross or net...Doesn't guarantee your eternal salvation, faith and devotion do.

Midtowner
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM

Churches and pro sports are very different groups. One teaches that you get into heaven by obedience to God. Supposedly, that one helps you get closer to God. The other is for pure entertainment purposes.

I'd like to see what Lifechurch's budget is for charity as compared to say.. the Methodists or Baptist churches.

I do think the tax exemption should be pulled, however.

metro
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Churches and pro sports are very different groups. One teaches that you get into heaven by obedience to God. Supposedly, that one helps you get closer to God. The other is for pure entertainment purposes.

I'd like to see what Lifechurch's budget is for charity as compared to say.. the Methodists or Baptist churches.

I do think the tax exemption should be pulled, however.

Guess what your blessed with the burden of? God's burdened in you the ability to change things you don't like in the church, such as tax exemptions and churches not doing more compassion and charity work. The question is, will you help the church (meaning God's church as a whole, perhaps through lifechurch.tv or elsewhere) or will you just complain about it.

Midtowner
10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Life Church, just like the "church" of Oral Roberts is not a democracy. I could involve myself in any of them, however, by doing so, I could do no more than suggest a change of course.

So what do we do when we don't have the power to change something? Complain :)

PUGalicious
10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Life Church, just like the "church" of Oral Roberts is not a democracy. I could involve myself in any of them, however, by doing so, I could do no more than suggest a change of course.

So what do we do when we don't have the power to change something? Complain :)
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: