View Full Version : Art Opening in The Undergroud

ksearls
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Art in The Underground

Downtown Oklahoma City’s award-winning tunnel system, The Underground, is quickly becoming a hot spot to view conventional and cutting edge art projects. The Underground will host Spirit Paths in the Invited Artist Gallery beginning Thursday, October 18. The show is one of a series in the Invited Artists Gallery sponsored by Devon Energy.

The concept of Spirit Paths is artists seeking aesthetic paths of spiritual enlightenment through a variety of personal approaches to art. The show features local artists Jack Titus; Marc Barker; Sharon J. Montgomery; Stacey Miller; Bert Seabourn; and Suzanne Thomas and is curated by Jeff Stokes of IAO Gallery.

Visitors to The Underground now also have the chance to interact with a new art installation titled A Conversation with Ishmael by Duff Bassett, an Oklahoma City artist who works in new media, photography, sculpture, and performance. The work is an interactive installation comprised of several closed circuit video cameras, digital processing equipment and video displays. Moving images of the activity in the tunnel are captured by the cameras. The signals are processed separately and displayed both in repetition and with varied time delays. The result is a continuous replay of the near past of The Underground and the people within it. The installation is located at the end of the light gallery tunnel.

The Underground, which is an amazing feat of function art in itself, provides another opportunity to Celebrate Oklahoma City’s creativity,” said Brett Hamm, president of Downtown Oklahoma City, Inc. “We recognize that art and culture is an economic driver that contributes nearly $700 million to Oklahoma City’s economy annually. The Underground not only makes it easier to get from point A to point B, but also creates a unique and memorable experience for our downtown workforce and visitors alike.”

There will be an opening reception for Spirit Paths on Thursday, October 18, from 5-7 pm. Regular Underground and gallery hours are 6 am - 8 pm, Monday through Friday. The Gallery is located in The Underground beneath Robinson Ave. and Robert S. Kerr. Enter through Broadway-Kerr Parking Garage. The exhibition remains on display through January 11.

The Underground is managed by the Downtown OKC Business Improvement District (BID). The purpose of the Downtown OKC BID is to manage, promote, improve and maintain Downtown OKC and to implement programs to achieve the strategy of making Downtown Oklahoma City clean, safe and friendly for businesses, workers, residents and guests. The City of Oklahoma City contracts with Downtown OKC Inc. to execute its BID initiatives. For more information regarding The Underground or the BID, contact Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. at (405) 235-3500 or visit Downtown OKC > Home (http://www.downtownokc.com).

karlanee
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Now THAT is cool. I have always wanted to explore the tunnel system with my girls, but I never get downtown to do it.

ksearls
10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Please come for the opening tonight! Everyone is invited to drop by, see that art and have a grape beverage and a lil'snack!

karlanee
10-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I would love to, but I've already committed to volunteering with the Oklahoma Food Coop delivery this evening from 5 to 7.

kevinpate
10-19-2007, 05:36 AM
For those of us with other commitments last night, would anyone who attended care to share their review?

ksearls
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I was there. The art is great. We had a pretty poor turnout for the opening. We sent out over 700 invites to the iao list, it was on a couple of news stations, sent and enews, and posted here.

We are considering doing a lunch-time opening for the next show. What do you downtown homies think about that? Would you come? Of course, we wouldn't offer wine at noon but still do hors dourves. What do you think?

Please remember, the show is on display through Jan so make sure and take a look when you are in The Underground.

Kim

kevinpate
10-19-2007, 08:01 AM
sad to hear of a low turn out. I was committed until after 7 last night. So I decided I want to enjoy the trip another day, not rush myself through just to beat out the closing buzzer. Another day for me it will be. Two or three if I really like what I see.

soonerfan21
10-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Personally I like the idea of a lunch opening / preview. Do you think many people skip the late afternoon opening to get out of downtown or for other commitments as were stated by a couple other posters?
Good that you are thinking of another way to generate interest. We need to show our support!