View Full Version : Jimmy's Egg plans franchise expansion

metro
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Jimmy's Egg eatery hatching franchises
The Daily Oklahoman

Oklahoma City investment company Burke and Grow recently finalized plans with the Jimmy's Egg Restaurant Group to franchise the breakfast eateries nationwide.

Beginning in January, the company will begin selling Jimmy's Egg franchises, concentrating on a 250-mile radius of Oklahoma City, said Jim Burke, one of the company's partners and former president and chief executive officer of Eateries Inc.

Burke and his partner Brad Grow sold Eateries Inc. at the end of last year.

Burke and Grow, which also owns pizza franchise Old Chicago, also recently announced plans to franchise City Bites nationwide.

Express Girl
10-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Is Jimmy's Egg any good?

metro
10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Yes, much better than IHOP, Waffle House and such. Plus it's locally owned so you can't beat that. Only thing is they have odd hours. Typically close by 2pm everyday.

Express Girl
10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Hmm. I just went to the website to check out the menu. I may have to check it out!

Misty
10-17-2007, 09:34 AM
The best good ole' fashioned greasy diner breakfast ever. Heart attack on a plate and well worth it. I go to the one near Belle Isle and sit at the counter so I can watch them cooking all the greasy goodness.

okclee
10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know of a healthy breakfast cafe?? I have been to a few healthy type cafe's in other cities, but don't know of any here.

metro
10-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Tropical Cafe in Edmond

Karried
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
I love Jimmys... I've never ever had a bad breakfast there.

My favorite when I'm indulging in about a million calories...

2 eggs over Medium, Corned Beef Hash, Hash Browns and Wheat Toast.

I can't move or eat anything else the rest of the day after all that!

My teenager orders Biscuits and Gravy instead of toast!

Man, to eat like that again without gaining weight! heavy sigh... I can't even look at gravy without it jumping off the plate and attaching itself to my hips!

teacher girl
10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
i like it because the atmosphere seems a bit "cleaner" then ihop and the like!

yum, breakfast sure does sound good now!

Doug Loudenback
10-18-2007, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I love all that great cookin' at the Belle Isle shop ... 2 or 3 eggs over easy, bacon, hash browns, bisquits and gravy, large V8 and lots of black coffee! What's so unhealthy about that! :dizzy: Metro is right about the hours, though, they do close early.

OTOH, I also like the IHOPS I've been in recently ... the one in Bricktown and the one on the Memorial Road /south access road for Kilpatrick Turnpike ... both were clean and the menus were teriffic and service was good ... actually, the menus were better than Jimmy's as far as choices are concerned.

Hey, it's 6:05 and time for breakfast!

dalelakin
10-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Mmmmmmm Biscuit Debris

SoonerDave
10-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Breakfast is top-notch, and a much better value than IHOP.

As far as relative "healthiness" goes, if you did it every day of the week, that wouldn't probably be the greatest idea, but a couple of times a month isn't that big a deal. Also, consider that I normally don't each much of anything except a very light snack later in the day if I have a full breakfast at Jimmy's Egg. It may be a less-than-ideal breakfast early, but it's a tradeoff for significantly fewer calories consumed later in the day...

PUGalicious
10-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I don't worry about the health aspect since I carry my portable defibrillator with me every time I go... One shock normally does the trick...

metro
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah try the biscuit debris, very good!

John
10-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Jimmy's Garbage Breakfast is where it's at!

SoonerDave
10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
They make a mean omelette, too.

Yum.

Wish they had an evening breakfast offering. Be cool to go in there at, say, 6pm or so and order ham steak and scrambled eggs.... gawrsh, now I'm hungry...

jbrown84
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
It will be interesting to see if Jimmy's Egg and City Bites are successful nationally. It would be a great way to diversify our economy if they become as big as Sonic.

SoonerDave
10-23-2007, 11:32 AM
I have my doubts. With our current national obsession over the "villain food theology" making the general menu at Jimmy's Egg non-politically correct, there's a great probability it will be met with disdain. I don't know that City Bites will differentiate itself substantially from other "trendy" sandwich places in other areas.

Of course, it would be great if a local entity were successful, just trying to be realistic about the obstacles...

jbrown84
10-23-2007, 11:45 AM
City Bites does have going for it a very unique and interesting atmosphere, assuming that is carried over to national franchises. And I don't see why Jimmy's Egg couldn't compete with IHOP and Denny's.

SoonerDave
10-23-2007, 01:16 PM
City Bites does have going for it a very unique and interesting atmosphere, assuming that is carried over to national franchises. And I don't see why Jimmy's Egg couldn't compete with IHOP and Denny's.

True. Jimmy's Egg is MILES ahead of IHOP in terms of value for the money and quality.

I wonder if Jimmy's Egg business model has any element that allows for expanded hours? That 7-2pm operation timeframe seems like it would be limiting on a broader scale, somehow, and it seems lots of people are looking for a cost-effective alternative to fast-food in the evenings for supper...

metro
10-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I think City Bites can easily carve a niche in the sandwich market, seems like their is a new chain of them all the time and they all have their own unique taste for the most part. Jimmy's Egg may have a slightly harder time since a hearty breakfast with eggs, toast, biscuits, gravy, bacon, etc. isn't a big of a deal on the coasts combined with Jimmy's odd hours of operation.

jbrown84
10-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I would assume the hours of operation could easily be changed, at least w/ the new locations.

metro
10-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I agree, however why don't they change their hours of operations here in their own backyard? I know myself and many more others would patronize them if they were open at night.

bombermwc
10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I have to say that I have had anything but a positive experience at Jimmy's. I liked to go when I was little and really enjoyed the food, but I have stopped going after a few trips that weren't a good experience.

The last few times I went (granted that was 4 years ago, but that's how bad it turned me), there was food all over the floor, the tables weren't very clean...and they were sticky, my water actually sweat brown!!!!. I had a Reuben since it was close to lunch time, and then later discovered I only rented that mean as I sat on the toilet getting rid of it. This was before the smoking laws, but the smoke always made it's way over to the main section, I could see roach motels along the walls...just one bad thing after another.

Hopefully things are better now??

SoonerDave
10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
The only truly adverse Jimmy's experience I've had was at their MWC location. That said, it was several years ago. I ate breakfast there a few weeks ago and it was fine.

The newest location, at I-240 and Walker, has been very pleasant each time I've gone there.