View Full Version : my pet quandry...

raw98682
10-13-2007, 06:45 PM
My guy and I looking at getting a puppy/dog.
I would like to know what is the average cost per month to own a dog. When we do get one, it may not include shots (how much?) and we need supplies, such as dog bowls, food, gates (I dont want a new pup making messes in my closest or on important things), per visits, collar, leash...
Whats the inital cost of a pup (I'd like to save one from the pound) and the cost of maintaining him/her?

sweetdaisy
10-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Well, this is going to be a long message. :)

Hi raw98682-

So pleased to hear that you and your guy are looking at adopting a companion into your home! It can be a little pricey to adopt initially (set up), but it's totally worth it.

First, I'll tell you that October is Adopt a Dog month at the OKC Animal Shelter...the dogs there are $25 throughout the month, and includes all shots (unless it's a puppy and too young for rabies vaccination) plus Spay/Neuter and Frontline. It's the best deal in town. This also includes a free visit to a participating vet (they'll give you a list) within the first several days of adoption (to ensure the pup didn't get an upper respiratory infection or something of the such, which does tend to happen in shelter environments) and I believe 3 free training classes sponsored by the shelter. Also, if you get the dog home and it's just not working or the dog gets extremely ill, etc., you have 7 (or 10?) days to take the dog back to the shelter and exchange it for a different animal. Sounds strange, but there are quite a few people who do take advantage of the "exchange policy".

Initial setup for the pup would include bowls ($5-10; but I just use some metal mixing bowls I have here at home already), food ($5-10) - you may want to get a 8 lb. bag of something to try until you find out what the pup really likes, and then I'd suggest buying the large bags (~$30) as they are usually cheaper by "bulk", Collar w/ID tag ($10-15), and leash (ranges from $5-25, depending on what you get). A gate can run from $20 - 50, and a crate depends on size (mine was about $60; couldn't use a gate, as my dog could jump it with several feet to spare). Remember, all of this stuff can be purchased low cost fo basic supplies or could get pricey for what I call "fru-fru" supplies. :) However, if you think you're going to want to get some more expensive stuff for the dog in the future, you might as well get it now, if you can afford it...it saves money in the long run!

I've also found there are toys & supplies at some Dollar Tree stores (63rd & May usually has a great selection), for $1! They have collars & 6' leashes, some bowls, & toys. It's definately worth checking out if you're low on funds.

Vet visits are the big question mark in the cost. Puppies tend to need to visit the vet more often than adults (they're babies, and have shots, get sick, etc.) If the dog does happen to be ill, usually the antibiotics are relatively low-priced.

Also, long-term costs you should consider. Keep your dog on flea/tick meds like Frontline or Advantage. It only takes a couple fleas to make your life nuts. And PLEASE keep your dog on heartworm medication. heartworms are disgusting and a very sad way for a dog to die...it's also prevalent in this area, so try to help prevent that. I ordered a 12 month supply through 1800petmeds.com and it cost $60 for heartworm meds for a 40 lb. dog.

Consider basic obedience training for your pup after he/she has acclimated a bit. Petsmart charges ~$100 for an 8-week session, and it's totally worth it. If nothing else, you'll learn some basic commands and let the dog know who is boss.

Finally, consider a microchip in case the dog gets out, lost, etc. I think it runs about $35 and is totally worth it. Shelters scan dogs that come in as strays to see if they have a chip and can expedite the dog's return home.

Enough on cost of owning a pup.

A great resource for looking at dogs available is Petfinder.com. You can put in your location and find shelters/rescue groups close to you, or if you're looking for a particular type of dog, you can search by breed. It's GREAT.

As a dog lover, may I suggest you look for a young adult (or adult) dog (as opposed to a puppy) that is already housebroken (the shelter/resuce group will know this about the pup) and it will save you time, frustration, your carpet :). If you've never had to housebreak a puppy before, it can be extremely challenging, although not always. But, I'm just a sucker for adult dogs...you know what their personality will be and they tend to be happy to just have someone to love them.

Okay, I think I've covered everything. I'll post more if I remember anything else. Good luck with your new companion...I really hope it goes well for you all. :)

sweetdaisy
10-14-2007, 07:06 AM
I remembered something else. This is another suggestion while you go on your dog hunt.

Try to do a little bit of research about the energy level of the type of dog you might be interested in. That tends to be a big reason people get rid of their dogs - the dog's energy level does not match the owner's energy. :)

If you are an active couple, get a dog that will be able to keep up with you on your outings (a bulldog may not be as likely to do a 10 mile hike). On the flip side, if you are a more low energy couple, a rat terrier is going to drive you crazy wanting to hunt, run, and bounce around.

This simple research should help all of you be happier in the long run.

PennyQuilts
10-14-2007, 07:21 AM
The days of dogs running free through the neighborhood and getting their shots hit or miss are over. I don't have dollar amounts for you because they vary but here is an overview of what you are looking at, probably as a minimum. And remember, a dog is an investment of about 12 - 15 years. If you don't see you and the boyfriend being together that long, who is going to get Rover? If you aren't sure about long term, you might want to think about a grown rescue, who is perhaps a bit elderly, instead of a puppy.

If you are getting the dog from the pound, they may already have neutered it. If not, you'll need to do that at 5 - 7 months. I've seen that anywhere from $50.00 - $200.00.

You'll have several rounds of shots the first year (2 - 3 vet visits). If the dog comes from the pound, some of those might already be done. You can check with your vet about what that costs.

I give my girls monthly medicine for heartworms and that is pretty pricey. Plus, you need a prescription. It is important, though. You'll also want something to keep the fleas and ticks away. I use Frontline (a liquid that goes on the back of their neck every month). Again, pretty pricey. I'd have to say that my dogs cost more than my kids did (when they were babies) because I had insurance and health clinics for them but the dogs are all out of pocket. The visits to the vet aren't that much less than to a pediatrician, truth be told.

The dog license doesn't cost much but it needs to be done. You'll probably want a fenced yard if you don't want to be walking him/her several times a day.

Swain Serum sells dog collars and leashes but you can get them just about anywhere, including the grocery store or Petsmart, cheaper. Depending on the quality, think $15 - $75.00. You'll want a collar, leash and play toys but you can get them at different places. Sometimes I get toys at the dollar store but you need to be careful to get some that don't have anything nasty for dogs in them. And don't get the bean bags. That should be obvious but not all of us are real swift. You can make toys or just give them a sock or a tennis ball. At my house, the dog thinks bras and panties are toys so I suppose you could get some cheap ones of their own at Wal-mart and quit fighting with them about it [g].

You'll need a brush. The type of brush may depend on the type of dog. I could brush my lab with an old hairbrush but my samoyeds have long hair and a double coat and need some specialty brushes to get at the undercoat. You need toenail clippers. If you have the dog groomed (which I don't, but should), that costs a lot.

I strongly, strongly recommend that you get a crate for house breaking if he/she isn't already. If it is a pup, you can get a crate that expands as they grow. I think I spent about $50.00 for one but that was years ago and I may not be remembering, correctly.

You can pay for a dog bowl and water bowl but they'll eat out of anything so that is more for you than them. Just be sure you get a water bowl that doesn't tip over, easily. Pups are fine with puppy kibble, in my opinion. There is a range of dog food and if you do a little research, you can see what is out there. I'd keep the dog on what he/she was using at first to avoid stomach upset. After that, you can switch to what you prefer. Pups usually are on puppy food for the first year. The cheaper food is not particularly nutritious and runs right through them. You'll be cleaning the yard, constantly. I get my dog food at Costco/Sams.

Some people get their dogs fancy dog beds but those are nancy dogs which is not particularly attractive. One of our dogs sleeps on the carpet, another on the love seat, and the other one, I kid you not, sleeps on a quilt beside the bed with her head under the bed and then switches to being in the bed her head on my pillow. My pillow is frequently wet and you have to factor the cost of new replacement pillows in the cost of dog ownership. When it is hot, my girls like to sleep on the hard bathroom floor.

There is a lot to be said for getting a dog whose parentage you know about. You can get a fabulous dog from the pound but it is a crap shoot. I spent $750.00 for my purebred and I know that she doesn't have hip dsyplasia or eye problems and that she comes from very, very healthy animals. She is 7 and never had a sick day in her life. Same with my youngest dog, who is 2.5. The next door neighbor got a hound from the pound who is a sweetheart but she is not healthy. She is 7 and they spend literally thousands of dollars every year on medication for thyroid problems, eye problems, hip problems and continence problems. Her health began to fail about 4 years ago. I've also had healthy mutts, so I am not saying they are all like that. I'd just want to know as much as possible about the parents and have the vet check out a pup. Cute puppies don't always grow up to be healthy adults. Same with people. Just checkout Wal-mart to see how a lot of kids turn out...

Here is a nice link from an OKC vet: https://www.neelvet.com/i-petguide.html

Here is another helpfullink: Pet Place:Pet Care Information - Pet Information - Pet Health Information (http://www.petplace.com/)

Good luck!

PennyQuilts
10-14-2007, 07:26 AM
SweetDaisy posted while I was writing - everything she said sounds right, to me.

sweetdaisy
10-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm glad eastcoastokie brought up the brush and nail clippers. I get my dog groomed, so I don't have to deal with the clippers, but I do have a good shedding blade for regular brushing. (I have honestly never seen anything drop as much hair as my dog does!)

Also, a very good point about the time commitment of 12 - 15 years. It's defiantley something to remember when people are getting an animal.

My thoughts on shelter mutts vs. purebred animals is completely opposite of eastcoastokie, though. Unfortunately, I have seen WAY too many "purebred" dogs 1) end up in the shelter or 2) have major health issues. Oklahoma is not known for it's high-quality purebreds...we have puppy mills, and BAD. I love shelter dogs...there are a few in there that do have problems, but overall they are generally healthy and have tons of personality and are just so THANKFUL to have people to love them. But, to each their own, and I completely respect eastcoastokie's opinions on the matter. I do know there are hundreds of unwanted animals out there that need homes and I'll always champion their cause.

PennyQuilts
10-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Let me clarify in support of what sweetdaisy said. I am not saying that you will get a sound dog just because they are "purebred." Heaven forbid. I used the word parantage meaning actually knowing how healthy that pup's family is. Puppy mills are horrible. When I got my last two girls, I saw their parents, grandparents and great grandparents PLUS a bunch of their siblings. That is ideal, of course.

And I SCOFF at the idea that sweetdaisy has a champion dog shedder ... [g]. Samoyeds are the all time champion dog shedders and get the gold in that competition! (I have three).

Sign in to Kodakgallery.com create photo gift, make digital Kodak prints, and more (http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=15591009203.767166120503.1192370457540&photoid=722966120503&folderid=0&view=1&page=1&sort_order=0&albumsperpag e=&navfolderid=2007)

sweetdaisy
10-14-2007, 08:18 AM
LOL! I will definately defer to your champion shedders! Samoyed shedding will overshadow my Australian shepherd mutt shedding any day. :)

I gave my dog a bath yesterday (which she hates, and she always smells like wet wool afterward), and once she dried, plumes of hair were following her everywhere...I was amazed the dog wasn't bald with as much as she dropped. I have hair "tumbleweeds" rolling through my house right now. guess I'd better vacumm.

As a tip for folks who are looking to purchase a "purebred" dog: if the breeders won't let you see the dog's parents or where the animals are kept, or are sketchy in any way, do NOT buy from them. Puppy mill people are only out for the money and don't care much about the animals. By purchasing from them (even if you "feel sorry" for the dogs and want to give them a better home, etc.) you are only encouraging their horrible behavior. Report the place to animal welfare as a concerned citizen. The only way to prevent puppy mills is for authorities to shut them down.

PennyQuilts
10-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Yesterday, I went after the stairs with a hand rake (actually, it is dog brush) and scraped up the hair. At our house, if you don't do that, first, the vacuum clogs up within seconds. One of my girls trotted up past me on the stairs and when I looked down at the "clean" stairs, there was fuzz wherever she took a step. If you aren't a dog person, save yourself the grief of coming by my house!

As for puppy mills, indeed they are horrid. They breed in bulk and that darling puppy in the pet store or being offered on the "net" may have been caged in its own filth, away from normal socialization for weeks and months. Imagine a human newborn left to scream, lie in filth covered with vermin and not be held for months and months at a time and you can imagine a canine equivalent. Like most mammels, they have their developmental stages and if they are kept in isolation or in abusive conditions, many of them will never be emotionally or mentally "right," again.

As for back yard breeders, they might not be a puppy mill but they can still be pretty iffy. Some BY breeders are careful with their bloodlines (don't breed dogs with known genetic problems, for example) and they properly socialize them. If someone is selling pups to strangers who simply show up at the door without checking them out, you need to think twice.

Two of my girls are from BY breeders and both are terrific dogs. The first one, Sapphire, has some health problems and was very difficult as a puppy - probably because she was taken from her mother too soon (at 4 weeks - my husband didn't know anything about dogs and didn't realize that was too soon for proper canine development). He showed up at the door at Christmas and they shoved a puppy in his arms. Sapphire has health problems but she is very old for a Samoyed and mentally alert. Both her parents were on the premises so at least my husband was able to see them. They both lived to at least 14 which is quite old for a Samoyed.

Our second girl, Jezebel, had the parents on the premises and her grandparents came from show stock from a local show kennel. Because of that, I was able to follow up to see if she would probably be healthy. This BY breeder was very careful about who got the puppy and our Jezebel is amazingly healthy. We wanted to go back to them for a third dog because they were planning to breed her sister. Turns out after testing that the sister was genetically predisposed to have pups with eye problems. They spayed her, instead, which was the responsible thing to do. We got our third dog (Evelyn) from the same show kennel as the grandparents and she is also healthy (she is not show quality but is a wonderful, loving member of the family which is all we are interested in).

raw98682
10-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow! Thank you all for the info! Much appreciated.

FritterGirl
10-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I can't add too much more to what others have said regarding the basic necessities.

We have 2 terrier/beagle/mystery mixes we got from Pets & People in Yukon. The first one we got almost a year ago last November. The adoption fee was $65 and INCLUDED all shots, plus her spaying. We adopted her sister/littermate six months later in May, after she had been returned to the shelter by the first family who adopted her (long, but wonderful story - I attached it if you really want to read it).

Pets & People charges $65/$75 per animal and that price includes shots and spaying. They work with local vets who provide low-cost services to P&P-adopted animals.

There is also a low-cost Spay and Neuter program in the city, which the OKC Shelter will gladly recommend to you if you qualify.

The one area I would not skimp on is quality food. We happen to feed our pups from a smaller food manufacturer (you can only get this food at specialty stores), and during the pet food scare last fall had not a worry in the world as our food was one of the few foods NOT on the list. There are also several high-quality commercial foods available. It's important to do your research, read those labels and know what you are feeding your animal. What some companies add to their food is frightening.

Training is also very important. We crate-trained our Sophie (first dog) from when she was about 3 months until she was 6 months old, when we "graduated" her during the day to the kitchen. She did very well with the crate training, and still uses her crate as her bed every night (she'll even take herself there to nap or go to sleep when she knows it's bedtime). Gracie (our second girl) does the same, although we don't think she was crate trained at the other place.

As for the pure-bred vs. shelter dog debate, I agree that with shelter dogs you take a risk, but the majority of folks I know who have ever adopted shelter dogs have had happy, healthy dogs who have lived wonderful productive lives.

My mom had "shelter" or pound puppies for years. Two years ago she adopted (and spend hundreds of dollars on 2 purebred dogs). They're fine, but to me, there's just something about giving a safe and loving home to a good and deserving dog who has perhaps had a bit of a rough start . It's the "least" we can do to end the cycle of neglect that's so prevalent in our society.

We have lots of great shelters and adoption groups in the area, so good luck.

sweetdaisy
10-14-2007, 06:13 PM
but to me, there's just something about giving a safe and loving home to a good and deserving dog who has perhaps had a bit of a rough start . It's the "least" we can do to end the cycle of neglect that's so prevalent in our society.

We have lots of great shelters and adoption groups in the area, so good luck.

Music to my ears (my eyes since it's in writing?). Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Great thoughts on the food, too. had forgotten about how devastating the food recall was. I use Purina products, and none of the ones I use were impacted by the recall.

Okay, I just read your story and can't stop smiling. What a wonderfully happy ending for your girls!!!! (And very well written!) Thanks for sharing.

sweetdaisy
10-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey raw98682-

I just noticed on another thread that you mentioned you live in an apartment complex. Since you were wondering about $$ of having a dog, make sure you check on pet deposits & if they charge pet rent (I don't know if complexes still do this, but it used to be quite popular several years ago). the hefty pet deposits can be quite a deterrent to getting a pet. :(

raw98682
10-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Good call, I think it's couple hundred. Yikes!
I appreicate all the info you've provided, sweetdaisy. You certainly are sweet!

raw98682
10-19-2007, 07:47 AM
"Pawprints and Purrs, an animal adoption agency based in Keithville, La., tells its clients to expect to pay these annual costs of pet ownership: cat, $640; small dog, $780; medium dog, $1,115; large dog, $1,500. Obviously, smaller is cheaper. The difference between a large dog and a small one is $720 per year"

bvilleokie
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Having a dog will certainly bring you a lot of joy. You can always buy supplies such as dog bowls, leases, collars and even brushes at a discount at such places as Tuesday Morning and Ross. What type of food you feed your dog can be very important and will certainly make a difference in the life and health of your dog. Do make sure you pick the breed carefully as previously stated and enjoy your new best friend!

OKCCrime
11-08-2007, 06:26 AM
Just want to add to the voices here. Go with a shelter dog, not a breeder dog. No matter what, you will have pet health care bills. If this is something that you are concerned about, you can actually purchase pet health insurance.

My family has had a total of four shelter dogs, all long lived.

OkCcrime