View Full Version : Tonight!

Joeldavidd
10-12-2007, 07:49 AM
OKC COMEDY NIGHT IS TONIGHT AT STAGE CENTER!

The show is at 8pm and features 9 comedians with OKC roots including Comedy Central's Nathan Anderson. Tickets are only ten bucks! However, there are a limited number of tickets left. You can get them by calling 297-2264, on tickets.com or by visiting the Civic Center box office until 5pm and after 5pm at Stage Center.

This is a one night only event and there will be alcohol served.

I truly believe that OKC can support a comedy scene, and that is evident by the number of tickets sold already! We've got a stellar music and film scene already, so come out and help the comedy scene.

See you tonight.

- Joel

metro
10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Do you need to create a new thread each day to promote your event? I hope you're event is a success as well as to see you contribute to other areas of this site.

Misty
10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
It's no worse than you posting the headlines from every newspaper and news website on here every day after I've already read them somewhere else.

metro
10-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Yes, but I post big news that affect the metro, that most people wouldn't read otherwise. You can often tell their appreciated by their comments, many several pages in length. The posts on this comedy night are every day and usually don't have any comments, big difference.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Do you need to create a new thread each day to promote your event? I hope you're event is a success as well as to see you contribute to other areas of this site.

Why don't you cry about it or something?

Did I miss the memo where metro gets to tell everybody else when, where, and how to post? Is the extra thread crushing your bandwidth? Does it cool the cockles of your heart? Does it cause painful urination? Or does it just get your panties in a wad.

Joeldavidd
10-13-2007, 04:16 AM
OKC Comedy Night was a huge success and I attribute some of that to my having posted daily threads on this site. A site I PAID to be a part of. If I want to post a new thread every time I feel something happens in OKC that I think people should know about, I can! And in return, you don't have to read it. You click on things I've posted. No one is twisting your mouse clicking finger.You're the reader with a choice as to whether or not you want to read what I post. If your precious time is so valuable that a few mouse clicks is gonna crimp your social life, perhaps the problem isn't with the threads, but more a problem of your inability to manage your time wisely.

OKC Comedy Night was created to help provide the metro with professional comedians doing professional comedy at a great venue. For someone to complain that my posting of a daily thread concerning this show shows how truly unappreciative some people in this town are when presented with something that someone has worked very hard to make a success. Something that is only good for OKC and it's residents. That is assuming that people want to have a good time, support local talent, and do something other than complain about some words on a computer screen.

Get over it. This site isn't that important. The people who read it and contribute to it are. I'm one of those people, so show a little respect and don't ask petty questions concerning the way in which I choose to utilize a service for which I have paid for.

Move on.

- Joel

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Don't sweat it man...MOST of us appreciate you letting us know. Don't let Captain McBignewsposter slow you down.

Congrats on the huge success!:congrats:

PUGalicious
10-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Did I miss the memo where metro gets to tell everybody else when, where, and how to post?
Obviously you missed it, GAWD. He's our self-appointed thread police.

What difference does it make if he starts a new thread each day to talk about it? As long as readers are interested, it shouldn't matter. And if it's a problem, why don't the moderators and/or administrators address it? Because it only bothers ONE person.

PUGalicious
10-13-2007, 06:22 AM
OKC Comedy Night was a huge success and I attribute some of that to my having posted daily threads on this site. A site I PAID to be a part of. If I want to post a new thread every time I feel something happens in OKC that I think people should know about, I can! And in return, you don't have to read it. You click on things I've posted. No one is twisting your mouse clicking finger.You're the reader with a choice as to whether or not you want to read what I post. If your precious time is so valuable that a few mouse clicks is gonna crimp your social life, perhaps the problem isn't with the threads, but more a problem of your inability to manage your time wisely.

OKC Comedy Night was created to help provide the metro with professional comedians doing professional comedy at a great venue. For someone to complain that my posting of a daily thread concerning this show shows how truly unappreciative some people in this town are when presented with something that someone has worked very hard to make a success. Something that is only good for OKC and it's residents. That is assuming that people want to have a good time, support local talent, and do something other than complain about some words on a computer screen.

Get over it. This site isn't that important. The people who read it and contribute to it are. I'm one of those people, so show a little respect and don't ask petty questions concerning the way in which I choose to utilize a service for which I have paid for.

Move on.

- Joel
Thanks for posting the info on it. I was one who thought the news was noteworthy and certainly of greater interest than other recycled news stories that are posted here.

lpecan
10-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for a great show last night! At $10 a pop, it was the best value in OKC. As to the question of multiple threads, I respectfully abstain.

MadMonk
10-13-2007, 05:37 PM
It does get annoying to have multiple threads about the same event/issue and it's common courtesy on forums to avoid doing so. It tends to clog things up on the forums and is somewhat spam-like. I also agree that it's the moderator's responsibility to mention it. Perhaps a friendlier reminder would've been better received.

dcsooner
10-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks joeldavvid I am very happy the event was a success. Keep posting information about great events on this site. the more entertainment options available in Oklahoma City the better

Misty
10-15-2007, 07:40 AM
I didn't make it but heard about it on the radio this morning, they all said it was great. Sorry I missed it.

Karried
10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Joeldavidd,

If by chance you have an inside connection and are able to purchase Jeff Dunham tickets we have a member here who needs help in that area .. he needs two tickets.. we have to get him out of the doghouse with his wife ..lol

If you do, please PM Dark Jedi..

FritterGirl
10-15-2007, 08:28 AM
It does get annoying to have multiple threads about the same event/issue and it's common courtesy on forums to avoid doing so. It tends to clog things up on the forums and is somewhat spam-like. I also agree that it's the moderator's responsibility to mention it. Perhaps a friendlier reminder would've been better received.

Perhaps something else that might be helpful is to ask that all members starting a thread use a thread title that is more specific to the subject at hand - i.e. "OKC Comedy Show Tonight!" That way, people who do not want to read about it can elect not to click on that particular thred.

On another board where I was a long-time moderator, it was a REQUIREMENT that thread titles speak specifically to the subject, and not just a vague one-word promo for that thread. It helped a lot with moderating, too.

Matt
10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I find multiple threads for the same topic annoying (especially when they have vague titles such as this one).

At the same time, though, I find metro's constant thread-policing to be equally-annoying.

But I will say that I think he picked the wrong person to heckle, this time around.

metro
10-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Matt, in self defense (and as others have mentioned, specifically ParksGal) that it is super annoying to read threads that you have no desire to read because of the vague titles such as "Tonight". If it said Comedy Show, etc. I would know I'm not interested in pass along, but by simply saying tonight it could be a multitude of different possibilities. And, as I mentioned before, the guy made a post each day the last several days on the same topic. I see no reason there can't be just one thread about the exact same thing. It seems like the only people above who disagreed with me are fairly new to this site or living in OKC first time or again.

Myself, and I think others that voiced a concern, are members that have been here for years and have seen numerous people come on to OKCTalk and promote their event and leave. To me that is tacky. I support this site in all areas and yet I don't come on here and promote my business. I don't say come by my product and services, etc. I'll admit I am one of the thread policers on here, but if people would take the 2 seconds necessary to do a search, it would save alot of people reading stuff they don't want to read.

Matt
10-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Matt, in self defense (and as others have mentioned, specifically ParksGal) that it is super annoying to read threads that you have no desire to read because of the vague titles such as "Tonight". If it said Comedy Show, etc. I would know I'm not interested in pass along, but by simply saying tonight it could be a multitude of different possibilities. And, as I mentioned before, the guy made a post each day the last several days on the same topic. I see no reason there can't be just one thread about the exact same thing. It seems like the only people above who disagreed with me are fairly new to this site or living in OKC first time or again.

Wow, I said the same exact thing.

Myself, and I think others that voiced a concern, are members that have been here for years and have seen numerous people come on to OKCTalk and promote their event and leave. To me that is tacky. I support this site in all areas and yet I don't come on here and promote my business. I don't say come by my product and services, etc. I'll admit I am one of the thread policers on here, but if people would take the 2 seconds necessary to do a search, it would save alot of people reading stuff they don't want to read.

That's an entirely-different issue.

Maybe the thread-policing is best-left to the staff, no?

PUGalicious
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
It seems like the only people above who disagreed with me are fairly new to this site or living in OKC first time or again.
Ummm.... no, newbies aren't the only people above who disagreed with you.

I'll admit I am one of the thread policers on here, but if people would take the 2 seconds necessary to do a search, it would save alot of people reading stuff they don't want to read.
And if self-appointed thread police would take 2 seconds to see that they aren't interested in the thread and move on without taking the extra 2 minutes to tell the original poster that they aren't doing it the way you want them to, then all this wouldn't be an additional unnecessary waste of time.

There are these people whose job it is to handle things like this... we call them MODERATORS and ADMINISTRATORS.

P.S. Sorry, Matt, for repeating what you said. I was writing as you were posting.

Pete
10-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I was just going to say (and sorry I didn't see this earlier)...

Please leave board moderation to the moderators.

I appreciate the sense of propriety some have here but the best course of action is to let the moderators do their jobs. If any of you have concerns in the future, just send one of us a message.

And please keep in mind that message boards are worthless without lots of people involved. We should all be doing our best to encourage and welcome posters, especially newer ones. Remember, we were all new ourselves at some point.

Thanks.

Matt
10-15-2007, 10:03 AM
P.S. Sorry, Matt, for repeating what you said. I was writing as you were posting.

It's all good; I didn't really say all that much to begin with.

Pete
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
One other point I'd like to make while this subject is out on the table (which is good thing, IMO)....

Tone means everything.

There is a commercial shown during Big XII football games paid for by the conference that shows people in everyday life acting like rude fans. One scene has the drive-through attendant yelling at the woman ordering: "Our fries don't curl!!!!" Their message is you don't do it in everyday life, so why act that way at a game?

And I think that sort of thing happens too often on the Internet, especially on message boards. I'm sure almost no one here is rude to others on a regular basis.

I always think of this when someone corrects someone on the subject of spelling or something similarly trivial. I always try and picture this same person correcting the grammar of someone they just met! Of course, that never happens yet it's too common in this type of setting.

It's too easy to fall into that mode when sitting at your keyboard in the relative anonymity of cyberspace.

But this site is first and foremost a community of people that want the best for OKC and the whole state. Please try to be as courteous to each other as you are to the others in your life.

Misty
10-15-2007, 10:37 AM
It seems like the only people above who disagreed with me are fairly new to this site or living in OKC first time or again.

Why on earth would that matter? If people aren't born/raised and never left OKC their opinion isn't as valid? The new people to this site AND city bring new ideas and new information.

metro
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
good points Malibu, tone and expression are hard to translate over the internet. I will say that next time I think an duplicate, triple, or quadruple post is unnecessary, I will notify a moderator directly since point of view is often hard to understand over the internet.

Pete
10-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks metro!

I know you mean well and you are certainly a very valued part of our site and community.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-17-2007, 04:52 AM
One other point I'd like to make while this subject is out on the table (which is good thing, IMO)....

Tone means everything.

There is a commercial shown during Big XII football games paid for by the conference that shows people in everyday life acting like rude fans. One scene has the drive-through attendant yelling at the woman ordering: "Our fries don't curl!!!!" Their message is you don't do it in everyday life, so why act that way at a game?

And I think that sort of thing happens too often on the Internet, especially on message boards. I'm sure almost no one here is rude to others on a regular basis.

I always think of this when someone corrects someone on the subject of spelling or something similarly trivial. I always try and picture this same person correcting the grammar of someone they just met! Of course, that never happens yet it's too common in this type of setting.

It's too easy to fall into that mode when sitting at your keyboard in the relative anonymity of cyberspace.

But this site is first and foremost a community of people that want the best for OKC and the whole state. Please try to be as courteous to each other as you are to the others in your life.

I don't know...I'm really nice, quiet, and easy going in public until I see a bully going after somebody they think will be an easy target and I'll step in and be rude, crude, and about as embarrassing as possible to the person. I'll make them wish they'd never left the house. Probably because I got picked on as a kid or something.

That doesn't translate well to online media, nor does it always comply with the ToS, so I've kind of got to watch it.
:D