View Full Version : Pam Henry new chairperson..

Keith
11-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Former newswoman Pam Henry chosen to chair Mayor’s Committee on Disability Concerns:

(November 19, 2004) – Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett has chosen former TV newswoman Pam Henry to be the new chairperson of the Mayor’s Committee on Disability Concerns.

Henry will serve as Chairperson-elect for 2005. In 2006, she will take over the chairmanship from George B. Lewis who has served since 1973.

"George Lewis has served with distinction for 31 years and for five different mayors. He’s an inspiration to all of us in public service. I have known and admired Pam Henry since she and I worked together at KOCO in the early 1980’s. I am thrilled that she agreed to become our next chairperson," said Mayor Cornett.

Henry was the national March of Dimes Poster child in 1958 having contracted polio at age fourteen months. Henry has walked on crutches all of her life. She had a career in television news and related fields for 31 years before retiring in 2002. She was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 2004.

Henry was appointed to the Mayor’s Committee on Disability Concerns in 1972 and traveled to Washington, D.C. to meet with the President's Committee on Employment of the Handicapped three times in the 1970‘s.

"I am very excited about this opportunity. I just hope I can live up to the standards set by chairmen George Lewis, James L. Dennis and others,” Henry said.

Other officers selected by the committee are:

• Vice Chairman Tim Johnson of Johnson and Associates

• Secretary Bobbie Walker of Oklahoma Christian University

•Treasurer Karen Hackett.

The Mayor’s Committee on Disability Concerns works to eliminate architectural, social and attitudinal barriers for persons with disabilities

Each year in the City’s Disability Awareness Month of October the committee presents awards to Oklahoma City area residents who have overcome their disabilities and helped others do the same.

I think this is great news for OKC. I remember watching Pam Henry anchor the news at KOCO-TV, when I was much younger. She did an outstanding job, however, I knew that she had some type of disability, I just didn't know what. I believe she will do an excellent job. :Smiley173

mranderson
12-01-2004, 09:37 AM
"I think this is great news for OKC. I remember watching Pam Henry anchor the news at KOCO-TV, when I was much younger. She did an outstanding job, however, I knew that she had some type of disability, I just didn't know what. I believe she will do an excellent job. "

If I am not mistaken, I think Ms. Henry had polio as a child. I think it was before the medication was approved that we all take now. She has shown a remarkable strength from it.

I also remember her. I more from KFOR (then KTVY) and KWTV.