View Full Version : Old School Bagel Cafe

metro
10-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Well I finally got to eat here since the reopening of the former "New York Bagels". For those of you former customers, it's the same owners, new name. I had the Smokehouse and my wife had the Pizza Bagel. I must say it was quite good however I don't remember the bagels being so chewy. I love water boiled bagels but it didn't seem to have the same taste. Perhaps we got bagels sitting out all day I don't know? Average sandwich bagel price is about $4.50. A bakers dozen of bagels is $7.00. I'll definitely be eating there again to get my fix of water boiled bagels. The decor was nice, reminds you of a nice old library. I was actually surprised how much money they probably sunk into the decor. Only thing I can say bad about the place really is I don't like the location. I wish they had one downtown or inner city.:welcome55

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11057-nyc-style-bagels-return-okc.html?highlight=school+bagel

teacher girl
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
i agree about the taste! I ate there a few weeks ago in the morning, so I "assumed" they were fresh. it is missing the "umph" that the NY bagels had, but I did like the texture.........go figure. maybe I need to get a sandwich and try that!

OneHappyOkie
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
My family and I are VERY happy to have the bagel shop back! We ate there daily in Stillwater and since they opened we have been in heaven breakfast and lunch! They have told us that they do make their bagels fresh every morning so I can't explain why they didn't seem fresh.

As for the location, it surprised us too, we never would have thought this would work, however I will say we LOVE the location, it is within walking distance from our home so we are often there! They are doing a great job if you ask me, hopefully they will keep doing well and will expand to other areas of the metro!

John
10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
They're most likely going to expand the current space to the south, and then the next location would be Edmond.

A CBD or MidTown location would be a gold mine.

betts
10-11-2007, 06:28 PM
They're most likely going to expand the current space to the south, and then the next location would be Edmond.

A CBD or MidTown location would be a gold mine.

I agree. I think in the next couple of years, when the population downtown increases significantly, that location will be a goldmine for a lot of restaurants. I'd love to see one in Bricktown or Edmond

JerzeeGrlinOKC
10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Just tried it out the other day, it was really good! :bow: Especially because I don't know of any other place in the metro that water boil bagels (the NY way!) - if I'm wrong somebody please correct me. I loves me bagels, its one of the things I've miss most (besides pizza, but Falcone's filled that gap). Plus they give you a PICKLE on the side with all sandwiches. Can't beat that! Garlic bagels rock my world.

Only thing is that they could have put some more lox on the bagel with lox. I know lox are expensive, but I'd rather pay a dollar or two more and have more fish than the current price with a tiny slice.

sgordon77
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Do they have a good selection of spreads or is it just sandwiches. I love Veggie Cream Cheese! If their Bacon, Egg and Cheese and Veggie spread are good, I'll eat there at least once a week.

JerzeeGrlinOKC, Papa Angelo's in Bethany is really good for a NY style pizza. I just moved to OKC from New Jersey in August, and it is the only REAL pizza I've had. The owners are from the Bronx. I'll have to try Falcone's.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Do they have a good selection of spreads or is it just sandwiches. I love Veggie Cream Cheese! If their Bacon, Egg and Cheese and Veggie spread are good, I'll eat there at least once a week.

JerzeeGrlinOKC, Papa Angelo's in Bethany is really good for a NY style pizza. I just moved to OKC from New Jersey in August, and it is the only REAL pizza I've had. The owners are from the Bronx. I'll have to try Falcone's.

Thanks sgordon! Ya know, I'm not sure what sorts of cream cheese they have there to be honest. I did try the veggie cream cheese one time, and it was very good. Veggie cream cheese on a garlic bagel...yum. I think they have a decent selection, you can take them to go too (they are on a refrigerated rack right by the cashier). I've only had plain and veggie. I'll pay more attention next time.

Thanks for the tip about Papa Angelo's, I'll give it a try!

BTW, where in Jersey are you from?! So as not to get off topic, send me a message or something! :tiphat:

elreylion
01-28-2008, 09:53 AM
tppk my kids there for breakfast, awesome!, theyt loved it, personal attention from the owners, bagels were wonderful, now a regualr stop

Pete
01-22-2016, 06:35 AM
I really love the location in The Rise.

For lunch last week I ordered their Cuban sandwiche which was really high-quality ham, pulled pork, melted cheese with spicy brown mustard and jalapeno relish.

Had it on a jalapeno bagel and it was served warm; pretty fantastic.

Martin
01-22-2016, 07:41 AM
i think the moore location on the i-35 frontage road between 19th & 34th has recently closed.

Tavia
01-22-2016, 08:58 AM
The Moore location closed last fall-

HangryHippo
01-22-2016, 09:09 AM
The Moore location's closing comes as no surprise. I've eaten at all of their locations and that one was by far the worst. It had the least pleasant ambiance, the food quality didn't match their other locations, and the service wasn't up to par.

Pete
01-22-2016, 09:12 AM
I really like the setting of their place at The Rise.

The two level space and the vibe is just kind of cool. Plus, the service has always been friendly and efficient.

And I've mentioned this before but they have some sort of lighting fixtures that do a great job of approximating natural sunlight and makes the place much warmer feeling. I need to figure out what those are because they make a big difference. Lighting and acoustics are two things very often completely overlooked in eating establishments and bars and for not a ton of money, can make a huge difference to the experience if done correctly.

iMAX386
01-23-2016, 06:28 PM
I agree, I really like the look and feel/vibe of the Rise location.

Plus there's a really nice light-hearted dude behind the counter that seems like the manager, he's been there the few times I've gone on weekend mornings...good service personality.

dankrutka
01-23-2016, 09:31 PM
I agree, I really like the look and feel/vibe of the Rise location.

Plus there's a really nice light-hearted dude behind the counter that seems like the manager, he's been there the few times I've gone on weekend mornings...good service personality.

That guy -- and I'm sure it's the same guy -- is great. His enthusiasm is almost uncomfortable, but he makes you smile and does his job well. I like unique people like that.

jrod
01-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Jacob-- Extremely nice guy, and really good at his job. He and Nico kill it. My wife and I go every Sunday for breakfast, have for about 6mos now. Haven't had to tell either our order for about the last 4mos. Obviously, we love the place.

Urbanized
01-31-2016, 10:51 PM
...A CBD or MidTown location would be a gold mine.

Check out THIS prophetic post from 2007!

shawnw
02-01-2016, 11:42 AM
If only the CBD location were open weekends...

bchris02
02-01-2016, 10:41 PM
I really like the setting of their place at The Rise.

The two level space and the vibe is just kind of cool. Plus, the service has always been friendly and efficient.

And I've mentioned this before but they have some sort of lighting fixtures that do a great job of approximating natural sunlight and makes the place much warmer feeling. I need to figure out what those are because they make a big difference. Lighting and acoustics are two things very often completely overlooked in eating establishments and bars and for not a ton of money, can make a huge difference to the experience if done correctly.

Do you know how business is doing there? I've personally wondered about them because of their location in the back of the building. A lot of people might not know its there.

betts
02-02-2016, 08:07 AM
I stop there to buy bagels for those of us working one or two Sunday mornings a month. I'm there pretty early and there is reasonably steady traffic considering how early it is. I think people are/have figured it out.

shawnw
02-02-2016, 08:32 AM
The Rise location has been quite packed most of the times I've been there, and steady in/out traffic the times it hasn't been packed.

sooner88
02-02-2016, 09:37 AM
I haven't been during the week, but have been several times for breakfast during the weekend. There always seems to be a steady crowd, but never crowded. A lot of there business seems to be to-go orders also... there also seems to be groups of regulars that come in that the manager mentioned above knows by name.

Pete
02-01-2022, 08:03 AM
OSB planning a new, stand-alone location with a drive-thru on Penn just north of 150th:

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bagel020122a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bagel020122b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bagel020122c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bagel020122d.jpg

barrettd
02-01-2022, 11:52 AM
This is kind of surprising, seeing how bad the quality of their stuff has become in the past year or so. We used to go to the store at Hefner and May weekly, but had 3 weeks in a row where the orders were messed up. The bagels are nothing like they used to be. Now I get better bagels at Sam's.

okatty
02-22-2022, 01:31 PM
This is kind of surprising, seeing how bad the quality of their stuff has become in the past year or so. We used to go to the store at Hefner and May weekly, but had 3 weeks in a row where the orders were messed up. The bagels are nothing like they used to be. Now I get better bagels at Sam's.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this regarding the Hefner/May location. Seems under new management or something, but it's just a bit "off" from my historical perception of the place.

Richard at Remax
02-22-2022, 02:25 PM
I stopped going years ago. Quality was just not great and only used microwave to heat things up.

dheinz44
10-19-2022, 12:15 PM
I realized today that the Norman location changed to The Bagel Factory and the Tulsa Brookside location changed to New York Bagel. Anybody know when this happened or if its still the same owners?

Jersey Boss
10-19-2022, 01:20 PM
I realized today that the Norman location changed to The Bagel Factory and the Tulsa Brookside location changed to New York Bagel. Anybody know when this happened or if its still the same owners?

I went to the one in Norman yesterday. I asked about ther name change and the counter help said it was still locally owned. That being said the topping on the everything bagels left a lot to be desired.

Swake
10-19-2022, 01:26 PM
Both Tulsa locations have gone back to the original New York Bagel Cafe name they had years ago.

They are still really good, no issues.

Jersey Boss
10-19-2022, 08:32 PM
There must have been a orginizational changing of direction.
OKC still carries the OSBC name on the outlets there. The OSBC web site lists future location on Classen at Hwy 9 intersection.

Martin
10-20-2022, 06:42 AM
i haven't had any quality issues with the new store on sw 134th and santa fe in okc/moore. to me, the bagels taste great and are better than pretty much anyplace else in the city.

however they do still microwave their breakfast sandwiches, which has always annoyed me... they taste decent enough (imo) but could taste so much better if heated up in a different way. i usually get sausage on bagel sandwiches and really miss the browning that you get through other cooking methods.

Pete
10-20-2022, 06:48 AM
Some of their locations are franchises.

I suspect those that changed their name were franchisees that opted out of the OSB framework.

Richard at Remax
10-20-2022, 08:12 AM
i haven't had any quality issues with the new store on sw 134th and santa fe in okc/moore. to me, the bagels taste great and are better than pretty much anyplace else in the city.

however they do still microwave their breakfast sandwiches, which has always annoyed me... they taste decent enough (imo) but could taste so much better if heated up in a different way. i usually get sausage on bagel sandwiches and really miss the browning that you get through other cooking methods.

This is the #1 reason I stopped going altogether. Much better ways to heat up bagels because when you microwave it tastes chewy. Some form of convention oven or those conveyor ovens like quiznos would be so much better. Just feel like it is the easy way out.

AMinEdmond
10-20-2022, 03:02 PM
They're building a brand new location south of Andy's on Penn and 150th. This location will kill it!!

Pete
06-09-2023, 10:43 AM
They're building a brand new location south of Andy's on Penn and 150th. This location will kill it!!

Just filed for sign permits so should be getting close to opening.

Swake
06-09-2023, 12:10 PM
There's an Old School Bagel location about to open near me in Glenpool. It's in a really odd location tucked away in a corner behind Sonic in the big shopping complex at 121st and US-75. The store is tiny compared to the "New York" Bagel locations and It actually looks kinda cheaply done. Regardless, I hope the bagels are good.