View Full Version : What's up with AT&T wireless these days?

jpeaceokc
10-06-2007, 01:53 PM
What's up with AT&T wireless these days? When the company was Cingular, I never had a dropped call. Now the AT&T network drops calls all the time. People tell me they had to dial several times to get through (typically they dial, AT&T rights twice, then it disconnects).

And then of course there is their more expensive/less quality information service.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is a temporary thing or should I just get used to AT&T's inferior service until my contract expires and I can go elsewhere without financial penalty?

Intrepid
10-06-2007, 02:01 PM
The towers are the same as Cingular. The only thing that changed was the name.

I do know that AT&T will be rolling out true 3G service in Oklahoma City sometime before the end of the year ( it was to have been in April '07). Perhaps they have been tinkering with the network.

With that said, I also experienced a drop in service a few weeks ago. I was getting very poor signal strength in certain areas of Moore. However, that has cleared up and I am back to near perfect service levels.

ksearls
10-07-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm having the same problem, tons of dropped calls and having to dial many times. Something is up with the system. I was thinking maybe I needed to update my phone's software.

redcup
10-07-2007, 02:45 PM
I was told you can update your "firewire" and that can sometimes help. I would suggest calling your local Cingular store and see if they can help or call their Customer Service. Pretty sure it is free.

traemac
10-08-2007, 03:24 PM
it is the 3g upgrade suppose to be done in october or november pretty much every tower is being worked on currently

Intrepid
10-08-2007, 04:47 PM
it is the 3g upgrade suppose to be done in october or november pretty much every tower is being worked on currently

Yeah, that's what I was thinking it was.

Thanks for the confirmation!

oklanole
10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Look for Oct. 15 for the 3G upgrade.

jpeaceokc
10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Any recommendations from folks about other cell phone companies? I've been with Cingular/ATT for 5 years, and I'm thinking I should check out another brand for our two household phones.

PapaJack
10-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Maybe I'm off the thread a little, but our Sprint cell service has been cranky for about three months, with dropped calls and dead spots in our home. Coincidentally a new communications tower was raised at the local elementary school over the summer. Have any other Sprint users out there in the Deer Creek area noticed a drop- off in service?

ALSO. AT&T "soliciters" came by last night. Their package deal was competitively priced, but they require new cable to the house AND inside the house. Before I would commit to their "trial" period I asked for time to think it over. They would not give me a card or number to call, they would only make a follow up visit. It was getting dark outside so I asked them into my home, and they said they could not enter my house. It was all very strange. Has anyone else raised their eyebrows at AT&T's apparent "covert" activites?

MadMonk
10-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I've had AT&T people selling at my house before too. I even agreed to bump up my DSL package with one of them. Unfortunately, the order never went through due to a mistake the salesman made and I had to call AT&T to get it taken care of. I doubt I'll waste any more of time with one again.

oklanole
10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Any recommendations from folks about other cell phone companies? I've been with Cingular/ATT for 5 years, and I'm thinking I should check out another brand for our two household phones.

I really think that the problems will be solved after the 3G upgrade on the 15th.

ElPuerco
11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
I really think that the problems will be solved after the 3G upgrade on the 15th.

Nothing happened (on my phone, at least) on 10/15. I'm still on Edge. Did someone forget to flip a switch at headquarters?

diesel
11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Nothing happened (on my phone, at least) on 10/15. I'm still on Edge. Did someone forget to flip a switch at headquarters?

do you have a UMTS phone (w/HSDPA)? if not, you will remain on the GSM network (w/EDGE)...

Intrepid
11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
do you have a UMTS phone (w/HSDPA)? if not, you will remain on the GSM network (w/EDGE)...

I do and still nothing. My bet is that the switch never got flipped.

diesel
11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I do and still nothing. My bet is that the switch never got flipped.

maybe leeper can fix it.. :)

lpecan
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
is anyone getting 3g? I certainly am not.

Andy1807
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm assuming that 3g has to do with quicker data? I've been working out in Western OK, and I seem to get quicker downloads out there than in the OKC area.

I've got about 4 months left on my contract. If I can't get quicker downloads by then, I'm going to start looking elsewhere.

oklanole
11-05-2007, 06:30 PM
I got 3G on my phone for like an hour two Sundays ago but nothing since. From what I am hearing we got postponed again. What is really sad Puerto Rico has 3G and OKC does not.

traemac
11-05-2007, 08:47 PM
november 15th and the holdup has been legal issues with spectrum

lpecan
11-06-2007, 06:51 AM
I got 3G on my phone for like an hour two Sundays ago but nothing since. From what I am hearing we got postponed again. What is really sad Puerto Rico has 3G and OKC does not.

Why would that surprise you? San Juan certainly seems more urban than OKC. It has a larger population, and people dont usually drive too far away. If I recall correctly, OKC is not even natively supported by verizon. That said, I hope we get UMTS soon, I've grown pretty tired of EDGE.

ElPuerco
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
november 15th and the holdup has been legal issues with spectrum

I hope you're right... it's kind of frustrating to have this 3G phone that only gets 3G in Dallas. :)

diesel
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
I hope you're right... it's kind of frustrating to have this 3G phone that only gets 3G in Dallas. :)

15th is correct... :) unless they have technical issues of some sort..

ElPuerco
11-17-2007, 09:34 PM
15th is correct... :) unless they have technical issues of some sort..

I'm guessing they had technical issues?

diesel
11-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm guessing they had technical issues?

I actually emailed one of the site techs and asked about the date and he was not for sure what date "specifically" it would be.. I guess they had to set a date and the date they picked was 11/15.. :) I want it as bad as everyone else.. If I hear anything I will post it..

traemac
11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
after thanksgiving now

diesel
11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
after thanksgiving now

yup i just heard by EOM (end of month)

Andy1807
11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
I just looked down and I've got 3G on my Tilt right now.

By the way, the Tilt is amazing.

diesel
11-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Yup.. I am using the tilt as well and 3G just appeared a few minutes ago.. NICE!!!

Intrepid
11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I have 3G on my SYNC now!!!!

Intrepid
11-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Well, I did have it. Now I'm back to Edge. :|

Intrepid
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, I did have it. Now I'm back to Edge. :|

And now it's back again! :)

John
11-28-2007, 12:09 PM
In north Edmond right now with 3G.

Intrepid
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
In north Edmond right now with 3G.

I'm in Moore, and it keeps going back and forth between 3G and Edge.

BradR
11-28-2007, 04:44 PM
i had great service with Cingular here in purcell...as soon as the change took place, i get terrible reception

you can say the towers are the same all you want, but there's a difference in mine and my wife's phones so it HAS to be the service

dismayed
11-28-2007, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine actually has an interesting theory, because he too has noticed a degradation in service. I have no idea if this could be it or not, but he thinks that AT&T powered off several of the towers around town in an attempt to save money. That would certainly account for weaker signals in places.

oklanole
11-28-2007, 08:51 PM
I have 3G on my 8525 in North Edmond. I get faster kb/s on my phone than on my home computer.

Andy1807
11-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I think a lot of the problems that people seem to have with AT&T/Cingular is because they have Motorola phones. Besides my razor, I've never had a motorola phone that worked well. I've heard good things about the Q, though.

I have two buddies who swear up and down that AT&T signal sucks. They both have Blackjacks. I've compared signal with them a bunch when they start whining and I frequently have 2 to 3 more bars of reception than they do.

John
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
A friend of mine actually has an interesting theory, because he too has noticed a degradation in service. I have no idea if this could be it or not, but he thinks that AT&T powered off several of the towers around town in an attempt to save money. That would certainly account for weaker signals in places.

I don't buy the theory, but you're probably right about one thing. I'm sure towers have been turned off, but only while they upgrade/switch out equiptment for the 3G network.

Andy1807
11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
we have a tower right next door to work and a couple of times today we lost all cell reception. Complete blackout, but I chalked it up to 3g and it always came back within a couple of minutes.

oklanole
11-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I think a lot of the problems that people seem to have with AT&T/Cingular is because they have Motorola phones. Besides my razor, I've never had a motorola phone that worked well. I've heard good things about the Q, though.

I have two buddies who swear up and down that AT&T signal sucks. They both have Blackjacks. I've compared signal with them a bunch when they start whining and I frequently have 2 to 3 more bars of reception than they do.
If your friends BJ are less than a year old, with a code on the back, near the IMEI number, thay says 06.11. Tell them to call Warranty Exchange at 800-801-1101. They may qualify for a BJ2 (Blackjack 2) or a brand new BJ. There were issues relating to drooped calls/signals with a batch of BJ's.

Intrepid
11-29-2007, 04:57 AM

I will buy that theory. In my 5 years with AT&T Wireless/Cingular, Motorola was the most returned phone due to poor reception/lack of battery strength/and overall poor performance. Now, with that said, the customers I spoke with the most were not in Oklahoma, as our calls were primarily from the east coast markets.

ElPuerco
12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Since the 3G switchover, our service has went from bad to worse. Before the switch, we would drop several calls a week. Now, we are dropping multiple calls PER CALL. It's insane.

We both have Samsung SYNC phones. Is it the phone or the service? I hate to invest in a few hundred dollars worth of new equipment only to still have the same problem.

BTW: AT&T's solution? Reboot often. Ugh.

Intrepid
12-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Since the 3G switchover, our service has went from bad to worse. Before the switch, we would drop several calls a week. Now, we are dropping multiple calls PER CALL. It's insane.

We both have Samsung SYNC phones. Is it the phone or the service? I hate to invest in a few hundred dollars worth of new equipment only to still have the same problem.

BTW: AT&T's solution? Reboot often. Ugh.

Actually, rebooting once a day ensures that you are on the closest tower possible and will fix most problems. Since wireless companies can't have towers in every location they want, they have roaming agreements with other carriers. The technology is supposed to "handoff" from one tower to the next, but sometimes that doesn't happen. I power cycle my phone once a day, whether I'm having trouble or not. An ounce of prevention....

Also, I have the SYNC and now that I'm getting 3G service, I have had no problems at all with voice or data.