View Full Version : October is Breast Care Awareness Month

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
October is Breast Care Awareness Month

Breast Cancer has more than likely affected or will affect each and every one of us in our lifetime. Whether it is an acquaintance, friend or co-worker who has just been diagnosed or a family member who has lost their battle, breast cancer touches the lives of so many on a daily basis.

Today is Oct 3rd and I had a Dr. appointment that just confirmed what I had suspected. A Lump. Now I await a scheduled Mammogram to further investigate what kind of lump. I'm only 36, and probably like most women think they are too young to be worried about breast cancer.

The National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM) program is dedicated to increasing awareness about the importance of the early detection of breast cancer through a nationwide campaign.

Don't put off doing your monthly check TODAY! The best prevention is early detection!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
10-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Has to be done.

http://s133702574.onlinehome.us/pictures/blog/freemamogram.jpg

bandnerd
10-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Our school is selling passes for students to wear jeans and/or pink shirts. They can also sign a pocket with the name of a relative or friend who suffered/died from breast cancer.

I won't be there for this. I will be in Dallas. But I will be thinking of you, Ms.R, and your loved ones.

Karried
10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I just read this post! (((( hugs ))))I'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear the outcome of your mammogram.

Let us know as soon as you find out, please.

Sending positive thoughts your way!

PennyQuilts
10-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Ms. Relatationstation - did you get your mammogram? Everything okay, I hope!

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I did go to my doctor appointment but she did not do a mammogram in her office, just confirmed there was a mass. I had one scheduled for this Friday, but due to a schedule conflict I had to cancel it. I have heard that there are free or low cost mammograms going on this month. I was hoping to find a place since I do not have insurance; however, I have yet to find a place. If any of you know where I can go to get one please let me know.

Karried
10-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm watching Channel 5 as we speak.. I'll post what I hear about free Mammograms.. I would like to find an inexpensive place as well.

What is a normal cost anyway.. anyone know?

Karried
10-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Project Women Coalition

Free this month - @ Lakeside Women's Hospital

(with a income of less than 38-43K for a family of four)

Coupon at Panera Bread or Project Woman Offices and it's all on the website Channel 5 KOCO.com

bvilleokie
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I do not know if this is exactly who you need to contact but if not they will certainly point you in the right direction. When I was 37 I found 3 lumps and had no insurance. I received a free mammogram and had the lumps removed. I did have to pay for the removal but at a reduced rate. This was done in CA so I do not think that info would help but I know that the Susan G. Komen will help you somehow that is what they are there for.

Empowering people, ensuring quality care for all: Komen for the Cure provides community grants for breast health and treatment.

Susan G.Komen for the Cure
5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250
Dallas, Texas USA 75244

grants@komen.org

Call Toll Free: (888) 300-5582
Fax: (972) 855-1640

Misty
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
You might try calling the OU Breast Institute for information, 271.4514. A lump doesn't always mean cancer or surgery. I had one once and it was a ?fibroid? or something and I just had to cut down on caffeine and it went away. However early detection is KEY if it is something worse and insurance or not, you'd better get it done ASAP. So many cancers can easily be cured but early detection is so, so important. Don't put it off.

bvilleokie
10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
That is so true! A lump can be many things, the 3 I had removed were benign. I have had 2 more since then, one was a fibroid, caused by fibrocystic breast disease, too much chocolate & caffeine make it worse, the other was absolutely nothing, a swollen milk gland possibly, per the doctor. Always though I have had the mammogram done ASAP. Misty is absolutely correct, early detection is the key. Don't wait, any place you get the mammagram will let you make payments and the cost is less if you are self pay.

redcup
10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
My bestfriend is going thru breast cancer treatment and happily doing well.
The cancer was discovered during her yearly mammogram. I have one every year as well and mine is coming up Oct. 22nd. I like to have it done prior to my yearly medical physical.

Here is one option for those with no insurance.

OHCA - Oklahoma Cares (http://www.okhca.org/individuals.aspx?id=130&menu=42&part1=542&part2=538&part3=540&column=true)

Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Program
Oklahoma Cares is a partnership of the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH), the Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA), the Cherokee Nation, the Kaw Nation of Oklahoma, and the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS). This program provides treatment for breast and cervical cancer and pre-cancerous conditions to eligible women.

:sofa:

PennyQuilts
10-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Honey, get in there and get it done. Your health is not something to fool around with and gambling to save money is just not worth it. I have a dear friend, age 39, who is fighting for her life against breast cancer.