View Full Version : Holiday Giving

Ms.Relaxationstation
11-28-2004, 04:21 PM
How many parents would say that their children have been ungrateful at one time or another? What better time of year than Christmas to teach your children what it's like to be less fortunate. I would encourage you all to pick a family/kid and take some of the money you would otherwise spend on gifts, and go out and adopt a family who might not be able to have a Christmas. It did alot for my kids to see that there are children who don't always get presents because their parents have to buy food to put on the table.

If you are looking for a family to donate to you can contact any church or organization and there is usually a list already in the making.

I think one of the most important values you can instill in your children is to care about other people and put their needs ahead of our own. :tongue:

Keith
11-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Hey, relaxationstation, excellent idea :Smiley173 . I know that my family has been blessed each year to be able to buy gifts for each other, although, there have been a few years that it was questionable. There are so many families in the metro area that are barely able to make ends meet (and some don't), and when it comes to Christmas, their children either get nothing or very little. During this time of the year, feeding the family gets to be more important than gifts.

If there is one thing I hate to see, it is children not being able to receive gifts at Christmas time. This is the time of the season for giving. So, let's celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ by giving to another family this Christmas.

Patrick
11-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey, do I just have the perfect idea! We're going to start this tradition this year and hopefully carry it on for years to come. Salvation Army has their angel tree every year. I believe they have several around town, but the one that comes to mind is in the Foley's Court at Penn Square. Look at the tags on the tree and find the tag that fits you best. Each tag has a child's name and the gifts they would like the receive. Of course, all of these children are from needy families! See, now there's no excuse to not help someone. You definitely can't use the excuse that you don't know anyone that needs help!

Hey relaxationstation...thanks for the great suggestion!

Patrick
12-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm going up to Penn Square this weekend to grab a tag off of the Salvation Army's Angel Tree. It will be a blast shopping for a needy Oklahoman. I hope others will consider to follow suit. By the way, I talked to the people up there.....they said you can go to Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart or wherever you want to get the gifts....bring them back unwrapped...they'll wrap them. So it's not too difficult. The drop off place is right there at Penn Square next to the Angel Tree. I believe the deadline is Dec. 12th!

I hope others will consider helping out a needy Oklahoman this holiday season.

By the way....give a little extra money to the Kettle Campaign this year. THe Salvation Army is taking a huge hit from Target's absence this year!