View Full Version : I-40 Barrier

Jon27
10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Anyone who drives I-40 between Morgan and MacArthur may agree with me. Why is the barrier taking so long!! I watch them when I drive to work, and see them gone when I come home. It seems like on a daily basis, no progress is made. Suddenly one day they decide to work, and a lot gets done. It's getting frustrating!!

dalelakin
10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
I feel your pain I drive it every day too. It is getting a little ridiculous and now that I was a passenger and really had a chance to look at the concrete work it is terribly shoddy. It should be a nice smooth even continous surface but it looks like something my 4 and 6 year old formed with Play-Doh.

Jon27
10-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey only the best for Oklahoma roads.

Andy1807
10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a friend who used to work in the road construction business. One day I asked him the same question about another stretch of road. His answer was brilliant:

When have you ever seen anything connected to the gov't (state or federal) move quickly/efficiently on a daily basis?

mburlison
10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I remember the Kirkpatrick going in seemed to really move along once it finally got started.

Saberman
10-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Thats the difference between the DOT doing work, and the Turnpike Authority.

Matt
10-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Yep. The quicker you build the turnpike, the quicker you can reap the rewards of all that toll money.

No money to be made from improving the interstate.

glennp
10-01-2007, 11:58 PM
I agree with you all about the government being involved in most work. During a conversation with a few politicians I have known over the years, stated that they must take the lowest bid. This means that quality of work and/or time means nothing when choosing a bidder, ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

To: Matt; there is a lot of money to be made from having a great interstate system. Oklahoma has two major corridors, that connect all of the country. So you are talking Gas Tax which is .13 to .18 cents per-gallon and any sales tax revenue. That can total upwards of 5 to 7 bucks by the time you pass through the state. Turnpike if you go from Tulsa to OKC is only 3 bucks.

metro
10-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I have a friend who used to work in the road construction business. One day I asked him the same question about another stretch of road. His answer was brilliant:

When have you ever seen anything connected to the gov't (state or federal) move quickly/efficiently on a daily basis?

Go to Texas or Florida, they construct quality roads almost overnight.

Saberman
10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Got this from the people that drive the roads the most. Along with the article, they have the rating for best and worst. Top 5 in each area. Only list we make, "WEAKEST ON TRUCK INSPECTIONS", we really should do something about that one.

Worst Roads: Southwestern Wonder - Overdrive (http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=29443)