View Full Version : Oklahoma City Memories

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

okcpulse
07-22-2004, 11:38 PM
I'll be 26 in September. I was born at Edmond Memorial Hospital in 1978, and my first home was right across the street from the hospital (now Edmond Regional Medical Center). My earliest memories of Oklahoma City go back to when Quail Springs Mall first opened in 1980. My mom bought me the General Lee matchbox car from Kay Bee Toys. To a toddler, Quail Springs was freakin huge! Today, I can traverse the mall in less than five minutes.

I remember when I-44 was being widened between Broadway Extension and I-35 to six lanes in 1984, and the construction of Remington Park Racetrack in the late 1980's. I watched the construction crane raise steel beams for 'The Tower', then the Bank IV Tower back in 1983. I remember the oil bust, and the effect it had on many people in the late 1980's, and I can still see that damn piggy bank icon that once graced the facade of 50 Penn Place, once known as the powerful Penn Square Bank.

But I also have these fond memories of Oklahoma City... popping fireworks in the empty streets of abandoned housing developments back in 1989. My cousin and I walked a hundred yards out on the dry bed of Lake Hefner in 1990 while construction continued on the Lake Hefner Parkway. Hell, I remember camping where the freeway now sits! I met Mayor Ron Norick in person during an NHL rally held at the Myriad 8 years ago. I watched the Oklahoma City 89ers bat it out at All Sports Stadium. I took a tour of Summit Middle School in Edmond in 1988 before I was supposed to go there for 5th grade. I watched a cover band play YMCA after an Oklahoma City Cavalry game. I met Mr. Roloff, the architect who designed Leadership Square and originally designed it as a single 60 story glass tower. I saw the renderings. He was my grandmother's neighbor.

I was there to see the Belle Isle Power Plant come tumbling down. I was freezing, and laughed MAO watching the OHP chase parked cars off the Belle Isle Bridge, shouting over their loud speakers "Okay people, let's move it! Let's go!" But more than anything... and this may be cheesy, but my most fond memory of Oklahoma City was riding my first roller coaster at Frontier City- the Orange Blossom- before they moved it indoors and called it the Nightmare.

Any interesting historic memories of Oklahoma City?

Patrick
07-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Hmmmmm. What a wonderful thread!

Let's see. Where should I start?

I'll be 24 in August, so I remember much of what you said. I was born at Deaconess Hospital. Back in 1980 the hospital was 4 floors and much smaller than today. I think the hospital has two wings......west and north.

Here are some additional memories:

I remember as a young child, looking off the Belle Isle Bridge (I-44) and seeing Belle Isle Lake below. I sure miss that lake....it was a lot nicer than the strip mall that's there now.....sure wish it would've been left! Would've made a nice city park!

I remember anything north of Northpark Pall being mostly farmland. Quail Springs, when it was built, was kind of out there, as was Mercy. Now they seem to be right in the middle of newly developing residential and commercial areas.
Funny thing, but my dad can remember the same about Penn Square when he was a kid...he said Penn Square and Belle Isle Power plant were on the outskirts of town. Nichols Hills was by itself, as was the Village.

I remember when the Myriad Gardens was being developed, shortly after the demolition of the 24 story Biltmore Hotel. I remember us school kids getting together to raise money to complete the Crystal Bridge. Actually, the city had funds for the building itself, just no money for plants. Originally the Crystal Bridge was supposed to be two cylinders....one with tropical plants and one with desert plants, but the city had to scale back the original plans due to finances.

I remember when members of the Lakehurst addition faught the city tooth andnail to try to prevent the Lake Hefner Parkway from being built.....I don't blame them because the lake used to come up close to their back doors, and a lot of wetlands were destroyed when the highway was put through, but I couldn't imagine May Ave. today if the Parkway hadn't been built.

I remember when Builder's Square was built at NW 36th and May Ave. This was before the days of home improvement mega stores, and this store, owned by K-Mart, was a first!

I remember when Shepherd Mall was booming! It was such a large mall that it had 2 J's Hallmark stores! Anyone remember the Pet Store at Shepherd Mall! I loved hanging around in there!!! Anyone remember Stones Grocery Store? Sometimes I miss old Shepherd Mall. It had 3 anchor stores, JC Penney, Dillards, and TG&Y.

I remember Penn Square adding on a second level and adding two department stores making the present day mall. That was 1986-1988.

I remember back when Crossroads was a destination. I'll let floater describe this one. He should put a nice spin on it!

Remember Lynn Hickey Dodge? I'll never forget Tom Park and them shooting commercials from a crane in the sky. And them blowing up Ford and Chevy pickups!

I remember when Lake Arcadia was first built! It started out as a hole in the mud, and still pretty much is one to this day.

I still remember the old Cowboy Hall of Fame....it's still under there somewhere!!! Remember when the western town used to be in the basement along with the John Wayne memorbilia? And the End of the Trail Statue was in that separate building where the children's area is now.

Anyone remember going to Enterprise Square USA as a kid. Can't forget the doughnut factory!!! That place isn't even there any longer!

I remember when the State Fair was actually an annual event worth going to!!! :) Had to throw that one it! Remember when the International building was first built? I thought it was a unique building! And it still is!

I remember watching Steve Balboni hit homerums for the 89ers.......one homerun helped the 89ers stay alive in the playoffs and go on to win the American Association championship.

I remember when the Blazers had to play at State Fair Arena, because the Cavs had first dibs on the Myriad! Actually the Blazers drew a larger crowd!

I'm sure I can think of more....I'll add more later.

Joe Schmoe
07-23-2004, 05:19 PM
I just read a fun site by a guy in California that grew up at about the same time I did, so I've been thinking about this... May I indulge?

Let's go into the wayback machine to a time when your impressions are of black & white but my memories are in full color.

I remember when Edmond had one stoplight at second & boulevard. I have friends who were born in the clinic above the movie theater (I think it's now Grafield's) in Downtown. We used to go to the Broncho Theatre on Saturdays for 25 cent movies! You could watch the nurse upstairs through a hole in the bathroom.

I remember when the Broadway extension was a two lane blacktop.

Further back, I remember watching 3D Danny & later, Forman Scotty & Superman after I walked home from school each day. I remember carhops at the Sonic wearing rollerskates. I remember getting expelled from school because my hair was over my ears & touching my collar! That averted social chaos I'm sure.

I remember making hotrod models by Big Daddy Ed Roth, popping wheelies on my cool bicycle while listening to Jan & Dean, it had a banana seat & wicked sissybar. My dad & mom listening to Jerry Lee Louis. My uncle David had a basement full of Playboys & lots of Ray Charles records, I spent many hours there every summer. He was my cool uncle.

The animated neon pig eating hamburgers at Hollies drive-in where the McDonalds is at first & Classen now. Driving a large delivery truck around the Classen Circle in rush hour traffic. Mom buying me blue jeans at CR Anthony's & reminding me to buy 'em big so "they'll have room to shrink."

Racing slot cars & making Aurora models of Frankenstein, The Phantom & Superman. Reading Prince Valiant on Sundays & marveling at Hal Foster's mastery of ink & anatomy.

Watching Connway Twitty & Roy Orbison at Springlake.
http://www.metrotech.org/campuses/sl-history/history.html

Riding the Tornado at Wedgewood.
http://www.picturemeonline.com/wedgewood/index.html

Heckle & Jeckle
http://www.toonopedia.com/hekljekl.htm

Mighty Mouse,
Captain Kangaroo,
Woody Woodpecker,
playing "Army"
Monkeymen machine guns & land mines,
Johnny Rebel
Rodan & Godzilla late at night with Count Gregor,
The summer that comic books went up to 12 cents!
Far-out, Bitchin', Boss, Outasight, Cool, Right on!
The first time I heard Jimi Hendrix,
Bridget Bardot,
The first time I watched a guy play bottleneck slide,
The Draft & the lottery.
Getting caught in a street riot when they caught people "recycling" tickets for Jethro Tull
Sophia Loren
Montey Python
After that the memories get too sordid for this forum...

mranderson
07-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Like Joe, I remember Forman Scotty, but also Ho Ho the clown, Miss Fran from storyland, and, unfortunatly, Danny Williams' talk show and saturday night wresteling ("watch out for flying chairs).

Also, drive in movie theaters out the (well, you know). Sooner Twin, Hillcrest, Twilight, Winchester (still in business), Rivera, Fourteen Flags. Never liked them, but I remember them. Plus, yes, Wedgewood and Springlake.

Also, being the "mascot" at the TG&Y at what is now I-240 and Pennsylvania. I even saw my first celebrity there... Buck Owens. He played the grand opening in the early 60's.

Penn Square as a shopping arcade and not a mall. Also, A&W drive in, plus skateorama, and Golf Acres.

The Mathis Brothers Show (we got them far blazin' prawces at Mathis Brothers fur-nit-ure), Jude n' Jody show and Evans Furniture show. The Mathis' showcased a lot of people who are now world famous. Buck Owens, Charlie Pride and others. I even remember living down the street a bit from Conway Twitty.

I even remember the houses across Pennsylvania from me being fields. My school opened in 1963. I remember that first day.

I wish a lot of those still existed as well as the simplicity of the times. People trusted people more, they were nicer, and kids respected their elders.

Well, those were the days... :)

floater
07-23-2004, 08:14 PM
This was indeed a great thread to start.

My first impression of Oklahoma was a vision, really. When my dad said we were moving to Oklahoma (we were living in Cleveland at the time) when I was seven, I thought we might see Bobby and JR Ewing hacking wheat. Seriously. This was 1980.

I remember the first time we went downtown. What is now the Westin, I saw as the Sheraton. The four of us, nicely dressed, took pictures in Kerr Park. We still have those pictures. Back then, what made me know I was downtown was the smell of freshly baked bread from the Wonder bakery.

It's amazing I'm such an unabashed urbanist now, because I have few memories of downtown until my last years of high school. As far as I was concerned, downtown was nonexistent and a place you only went to for events at the Myriad Convention Center.

One memory of downtown at that time was a group of us performing a native Filipino folk dance for Opening Night at Leadership Square. It was then, and still is, a slick skyscraper. The other memory was my high school band performing at the Myriad (the Westmoore band was honored as the best concert band in the state). We celebrated by dining at this new restaurant called Spaghetti Warehouse.

Since others have brought it up, the first figures I remember were Linda Soundtrack and the Trusthouse Jewelers couple. Bella Shaw was a correspondent for KTVY (whatever the call letters were before KFOR). Roger Cooper and Patti Saurez were at KWTV, and Channel 5 was known as 5 Alive.

Patrick must remember my previous posts about Crossroads. When I was in high school, it was THE place to be. All the cool kids had jobs there -- J. Riggings, Chess King. I actually took piano lessons there, when it hosted an organ shop. Before Foleys was SangerHarris. It was still fairly busy when I worked in JC Penney's Mens department as an undergrad.

Well, MAPS and my travels to other cities changed everything. The only remarkable event before MAPS was OK 89, the hosting of the U.S. Olympic Festival. It was fantastic, topped off by an awesome Closing Ceremonies on Owen Field. Ray Charles and Roy Clark performed. The former was his legendary self, but the latter really impressed me. The man could manipulate the guitar!!

MAPS got me thinking about OKC. The proudest I have ever been of OKC was the opening of the Bricktown canal. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had been living in Arkansas when I first joined Patrick and his merry men we called The Renaissance Group on the Oklahoman MAPS forum. I was frustrated that by the time I left, only the ballpark was in construction.

By the time I returned, the canal was a ditch. A couple of months later, after work at night, I hurriedly drove downtown to catch the opening. As I approached what had been California, I couldn't believe my eyes. Water taxis floating. Night lights. And the crowds, on different balcony levels. I didn't remember smiling so widely since I got my drivers license!!!

mranderson
07-24-2004, 07:50 AM
I wish I could still edit my last post. I forgot the Buck Owens show which was taped at then WKY-TV and syndicated nationally.

Plus the business of yesteryear. CR Anthony, my local pool hall, Gerald's donuts, Carnation ice cream, the Jolly Rancher ice cream guy, Knob Hill, Yale and Redskin theaters (later were Oklahoma Opry, a latino theater and a skin flick theater respectfully). Plus giving the 7-11 guy down the street notes I said were from my dad so he would sell me Playboy. And my first job... TG&Y (thanks to the late Gerrell Johnson).

Also when Oklahoma City was THE springboard to the networks for television reporters and anchors. Lola Hall at KWTV, viva la Weba at KOMA, and a lot more. :cool:

okcpulse
07-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I also recall some other great childhood memories of Oklahoma City. I do remember TG&Y. The store manager always gave me a piece of butterscotch candy after we checked out. They also had the coolest toy section.

However, you are definitely an Oklahoma Cityan if...

- You remember word for word the lyrics of the Tall Paul commercial and the telephone number... 524-1541

- You know the address of Mathis Brothers Furniture... 3434 W. Reno

- You know the history of the milk bottle building

- You know the unofficial Oklahoma Christmas Carol, the BC Clark Anniversary sale song

- Your biggest family fued involves OU and OSU sports

- You know how many times a year the city used to mow the river before its transformation... three times a year

- You know who the five most recognized music and movie stars from the Oklahoma City Metro... Color Me Badd, Flaming Lips, James Garner, Toby Keith and Vince Gill

- You've been at least once to one of Gary England's events- "Those Terrible Twisters"

- You know that Oklahoma City was born a city and stayed a city

- You remember Linda Soundtrak

- You can point out every movie flop in the motion picture film, 'Twister'.

And finally, you are definitely an Oklahoma Cityan if-

- You're the only one in the car that knows you're getting close to Oklahoma City by seeing the large cluster of TV towers on the horizon after dark and you tell your fellow passengers, "Well, we're about there," and they don't have a clue how you know that other than guessing you read a highway sign.

:p Continue the Renaissance!!!

Patrick
07-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Hey Joe........I know the building you're referring to in downtown Edmond. It's actually now Othellos Italian Restaurant! Went there just a few months ago in fact! It's pretty cool to go in there, and try to imagine how the place used to be as a theater and a hospital!

Boy, hasn't Edmond grown!

Just look at the growth of UCO, or should we say Central State College....or how about Oklahoma Territorial Normal School!!! :) That campus has expanded into a mini OU!

Last I heard, they're up to 15,000 in enrollment and looking at possibly getting NCAA I status!

Yup, I remember the Tall Paul Commercial! You could forget that one? Don't see that commercial anymore. I'm guessing they're still around....Paul Meade Insurance that is!

Yup okcpulse, I've definitely had to explain the TV tower story before....especially coming to OKC via Tulsa! On I-44, it's like you're out in the middle of nowhere, you start to see those TV towers, and all of a sudden you say, well, we're home! And people in your car from out of town are like.....huh??? We're out in the middle of nowhere!

Mr. Anderson, you have any idea what the Red Skin theater is now? Does it house the OKlahoma Opry, or are they located somewhere else? I haven't been down there in awhile!

floater, I definitely remember that new restaurant Spaghetti Wharehouse! I remember the 1st July 4th event they had down there. The first time I heard them say Bricktown on the news, I was like...what? Is there another town called Bricktown? By dad told me how it was an old warehouse district that a new restaurant had moved into! We went to the 1st July 4th festival! Wasn't much back then!

I remember when Spaghetti Warehouse and Bricktown Brewery were the only two restaurants down there! I was like 12 or 13 and in middle school! Then came Chelinos!

Anyways, thanks for the description of Crossroads. I knew you'd do a far better job than I would've. I still wish they had the fountains and ponds in the concourses. Although the carousel is okay, it made me sad to see them removed the last center fountain/pool in center court!

You sound like me in regards to the Bricktown canal! We went down there the 1st July 4th it opened, and I was extremely impressed. I couldn't believe how nice it looked.....even with only one restaurant open on that opening weekend, it looked fabulous! I must say, it looks far better today than it did then, but I was still impressed and definitely saw the potential! Seeing the movie theater beig built today, and all of the other buildings being built in Lowr Bricktown, I must say, Bricktown has made OKC what it is today! I know Jim Brewer gets a lot of criticism at times for trying to make a killing off of the properties he owns down there, but you have to hand it to the guy! Without his vision, it all wouldn't be there today! He and a few others are the ones that sold the idea to Spaghetti Warehouse and the owners of Bricktown Brewery! That's what got the ball rolling!

floater
07-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Here here, Patrick, about Mr. Brewer. :)

I, too, felt somewhat the same way, when I went back in December. Lower Bricktown is coming into its own!

okcpulse
07-24-2004, 09:10 PM
I also remember the cursive "kwtv 9" logo back in the 1980's. Every news anchor from what was newsline 9 is gone... except for Gary England.

mranderson, those personalities are before my time, but I have read about them, and the roles they had in our community.

I'll never forget some of the more impressionable names on local television... Uze Brown Washington (KFOR-TV 4), Jerry Bonds (KOCO-TV 5) and many others whose faces graced our TV sets for five or so years at 5, 6 and 10PM.

Patrick
07-24-2004, 09:20 PM
"The Strength of Oklahoma, 4- Strong!!!"

"The Spirit of Oklahoma, The Spirit of Oklahoma, T...V....9"

Anyone remember those songs?

floater
07-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah. Speaking of commericials, one those I remember was of Jim Varney's Ernest character doing one for Channel 4, that had him speaking of Linda Cavanaugh, Jane Jayroe, and Jerry Adams. He was the pitchman for Braum's at the time, too...

Patrick
07-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, wasn't that where Jim Varney got his start....Braum's commercials?

floater
07-25-2004, 04:28 AM
I'm not sure, but that was the first time I saw him...

mranderson
07-25-2004, 06:36 AM
The Redskin may be an empty lot now. The Oklahoma Opry is in the old Knob Hill theater, and the Yale is a junk pile. I guess I miswrote. The later use was in the order of the theater. Yale-Latino, Knob-Oklahoma Opry, Redskin-skin flick.

Here is an Oklahoma City trivia question for you. Who sung the Sprit of Oklahoma theme song for KWTV? :D

floater
07-25-2004, 06:41 AM
Here is an Oklahoma City trivia question for you. Who sung the Sprit of Oklahoma theme song for KWTV? :D

Oh oh, I saw the commercial of the lady singing it in a studio...but it passes me...

okcpulse
07-25-2004, 09:22 PM
That's an easy one... Toby Keith

Continue the Renaissance!!!

mranderson
07-26-2004, 06:11 AM
Okpulse: No. Keep guessing. A hint. It is an Oklahoman, however.

floater
07-26-2004, 06:17 AM
Reba McEntire

mranderson
07-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Floater wins the prize. Yes. It was that nice looking hick redhead from Stringtown. Reba McEntire. :D

okcpulse
07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Wow! I completely forgot about Reba McEntire's Spirit of Oklahoma song! Toby Keith's 1993 gig is the only one I could remember. Of course, there was about a five year stretch when my family watched nothing but Channel 4 news. Before that, they always watched 5 Alive back in the 1980s. Speaking of 5 Alive, you can catch a quick two-second glimpse of 5 Alive's old logo in the motion picture "Rain Man" when Dustin Hoffman's character 'Raymond' threw a fit on the front porch of an Oklahoma household when he was about to miss People's Court. The camera took a brief shot of the lady's TV set, showing the 5 Alive logo. In addition, while Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman were in Guthrie looking for a psychologist, Hoffman stops right in the middle of the street when the sign said "DONT WALK", I noticed the old Oklahoma Inspection Sticker on the windshield of a pick-up truck that belonged to an irate driver. It's wierd... that was ages ago... seventeen years! Well, I guess you can't beat the clock!

mranderson
07-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I guess we got each other. I was out of state in 1993, and had no idea who Toby Keith was, let alone that he had been singing a television jingle. :o

Patrick
07-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Back to Oklahoma Memories....I remember back when I was a kiddo and there was a grass median (not Kilpatrick turnpike) in the middle of Memorial Road! I sometimes miss that median!

I also remember when Northwest Expressway was only 4 lanes! I notice they're repaving much of the 6 lanes that was poured some 10 years ago! Anyone think they'll ever replace the May Avenue bridge.....it's aging!

My parents told the other day that where Shepherd Mall now sits used to be the old Shepherd Farm....it had a few lakes on it....wish I could've seen it!

TulsaTV
12-20-2004, 12:09 AM
I just added a picture of Ho Ho to the comments of Mike and Patricia Birchall in Guestbook 110 (see What's New page for the link, and see my profile for the link to my web site, Tulsa TV Memories.)

Midtowner
12-20-2004, 08:52 AM
I was born in 1979. Like many have said here, some truly great things have happened in our city in my memory. I remember when I was in Cub Scouts, my father (a former Oklahoma County Judge) took me down to the Court House. Another current judge gave me a tour of the then jail which was housed on the top floors of the courthouse -- hard to imagine it was ever that small.

When he was a Judge (there were certain days when I had to 'entertain' myself in his offices. I remember visiting the concourse. That place at the lunch hour was more busy than any shopping mall I've ever been in. I remember how cool and futuristic I thought the carpet and paint were (now old, ugly and held together with duct tape).

I recall visiting Martin Nature Park quite a few times -- back when the owl (which I believe is now stuffed and in an office) was still alive. I watched them feed it a couple of times.

I recall a time, not too long ago when the area around Quail Springs Mall was basically rural.

I remember when Edmond was just a small town of maybe 20,000 or so people. Our addition out there was definitely in the middle of nowhere. Across the street were fields with cows in them. Now, it's all big houses and subdivisions.

I started taking private lessons (violin) at UCO around 1991-1992. I graduated with my BA there in '03. Amazing how much that school has grown. It went from near-Rose State status to being the state's 3rd largest school (and highly underfunded) boasting an enrollment of around 16,000 students. I doubt that 10 years ago they even had half that many students.

Anyone remember going to the Myriad and watching the Blazers play there? How about the Cavalry (basketball team)?

Bricktown has been a long-time coming, but well worth the wait. I don't think I actually realized how great it was going to be until I attended the 2000 New Years Eve party at the Petroleum Club on the top floors of the Bank One building. I watched the fireworks and the crowd below me. Was an incredible sight. Not even the Sooners losing to Southern Miss in the Independance Bowl could spoil it for me.

Since then, I've chosen to relocate to the downtown area so I can be closer to all of these things. It's wonderful seeing project after project turn out to be successful. I think that businesses are noticing. I think that our state's two big cities are setting themselves up very well for future growth.

metro
12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I remember the smurfs

TulsaTV
12-20-2004, 12:47 PM
OK, now that I've done 5 posts, I'm able to add the link to comments about Ho Ho:

http://tulsatvmemories.com/gb072002.html

Keith
12-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Talk about memories….I remember when there was a shopping center at SW.44 & S. Western. There were several stores there, including a Rudy’s Bestyet grocery store. Around the corner from the shopping center, across from fire station 19, there was a Godfather’s Pizza place. I remember when the firefighters would run across the street to get a pizza if they didn’t like what was for dinner that evening.

I also remember when Lynn Hickey Dodge was always doing something strange to bring customers in. I remember when they had Evel Knieval up in the van that was up on the crane...and good ole Tom Park.

Speaking of Foreman Scotty, I was on his show when I was a kid, before most of you were born. It was actually my sister’s birthday, and naturally, I didn’t win anything. Also, good ole Kaptain Kangaroo..I sure miss him. I watched him every morning as a kid before I had to go to school.

I also remember the TG&Y in Moore (where I grew up). I actually purchased a bottle of flea and tick dip from the store, and accidently dropped it on the floor, shattering the bottle. It must have been potent stuff, because it ate the wax right off the floor. Just south of the TG&Y, there was a bicycle moto-cross track. It was fun to watch on weekends.

Then there was 14 Flags drive-in on south Western. When I heard they were tearing it down to build a housing addition, I though there was no way anybody would move in to that area. Now, it is packed.

In the media world, I do remember Linda Soundtrak and her annoying, shrilling voice. I don’t miss her. How about Ernie Schultz, Jim Williams, Lola Hall, John Snider, and Robbie Robertson (now doing Bob Howard commercials) as is Kevin Foreman (Joe Cooper Ford), a former weatherman.

I remember the U.S. Olympic festival also. I was out of a job during that time, so when it came through S. OKC by the Community College, I followed it all the way out to the airport. It was fun.

How about those Southwest Ford commercials. “That’s Incredible…no that’s Southwest Ford.” The original pitchman (can’t remember his name) was killed in a plane crash and he was replaced by another man who stayed with it for a long time.

Ok, how about those Tall Paul commercials? “Protecting all the things you own, like cars and trucks and mobile homes, with accidents and tickets too, call and we’ll take care of you at 524-1541…..that’s Paul Meade Insurance.” Scary…I still know that jingle. Ok, admit it....while reading the words to that song, you started singing it, huh?

B.C. Clark jingle…..”Jewlery is the gift to give, cause it’s the gift that will live and live, so give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clark’s…. anniversary sale. Most sales are after Christmas, but Clarks is just before, most everything is marked way down, savings you can’t ignore, at Oklahoma’s oldest jeweler, since 1892. So give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clarks anniversary sale.”

More memories to come.....

mranderson
12-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Talk about memories….I remember when there was a shopping center at SW.44 & S. Western. There were several stores there, including a Rudy’s Bestyet grocery store. Around the corner from the shopping center, across from fire station 19, there was a Godfather’s Pizza place. I remember when the firefighters would run across the street to get a pizza if they didn’t like what was for dinner that evening.

I also remember when Lynn Hickey Dodge was always doing something strange to bring customers in. I remember when they had Evel Knieval up in the van that was up on the crane...and good ole Tom Park.

Speaking of Foreman Scotty, I was on his show when I was a kid, before most of you were born. It was actually my sister’s birthday, and naturally, I didn’t win anything. Also, good ole Kaptain Kangaroo..I sure miss him. I watched him every morning as a kid before I had to go to school.

I also remember the TG&Y in Moore (where I grew up). I actually purchased a bottle of flea and tick dip from the store, and accidently dropped it on the floor, shattering the bottle. It must have been potent stuff, because it ate the wax right off the floor. Just south of the TG&Y, there was a bicycle moto-cross track. It was fun to watch on weekends.

Then there was 14 Flags drive-in on south Western. When I heard they were tearing it down to build a housing addition, I though there was no way anybody would move in to that area. Now, it is packed.

In the media world, I do remember Linda Soundtrak and her annoying, shrilling voice. I don’t miss her. How about Ernie Schultz, Jim Williams, Lola Hall, John Snider, and Robbie Robertson (now doing Bob Howard commercials) as is Kevin Foreman (Joe Cooper Ford), a former weatherman.

I remember the U.S. Olympic festival also. I was out of a job during that time, so when it came through S. OKC by the Community College, I followed it all the way out to the airport. It was fun.

How about those Southwest Ford commercials. “That’s Incredible…no that’s Southwest Ford.” The original pitchman (can’t remember his name) was killed in a plane crash and he was replaced by another man who stayed with it for a long time.

Ok, how about those Tall Paul commercials? “Protecting all the things you own, like cars and trucks and mobile homes, with accidents and tickets too, call and we’ll take care of you at 524-1541…..that’s Paul Meade Insurance.” Scary…I still know that jingle. Ok, admit it....while reading the words to that song, you started singing it, huh?

B.C. Clark jingle…..”Jewlery is the gift to give, cause it’s the gift that will live and live, so give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clark’s…. anniversary sale. Most sales are after Christmas, but Clarks is just before, most everything is marked way down, savings you can’t ignore, at Oklahoma’s oldest jeweler, since 1892. So give the gift you know can’t fail, at BC Clarks anniversary sale.”

More memories to come.....

The "pitchman" was Curt Scwartz. He died in a Delta crash at DFW in 1985. Tall Paul? Neat spots. Linda Soundtrack? Never really bothered me much. Christmas is not Christmas in Oklahoma City without the BC Clark jingle.

I also remember 14 flags. I am surprised Winchester has not been demolished.

My main TG&Y memory is the big one at 240 and Pennsylvania. When it opened in 1962 (Aprox) the opening act was Buck Owens. I remember being the "mascot" for the store and will always be greatful to Gerrel Johnson for getting me my first job there. Mr. Johnson was a dear friend and his son David will be well beyond our days on earth.

The shopping center is Redding. A bit still remains, but the majority is now a medical center. Lynn Hickey? My dad always liked him. And Forman Scotty? Who in our generation could forget.

larrys66cafe
12-20-2004, 11:54 PM
- You know the unofficial Oklahoma Christmas Carol, the BC Clark Anniversary sale song

- You're the only one in the car that knows you're getting close to Oklahoma City by seeing the large cluster of TV towers on the horizon after dark and you tell your fellow passengers, "Well, we're about there," and they don't have a clue how you know that other than guessing you read a highway sign.

:p Continue the Renaissance!!!

I still know that BC Clark jingle like the back of my hand, and I miss it terribly!! I have downloaded from their website and play it every so often; needless to say, I've been playing it a lot recently.

And yes, do I ever miss those towers and seeing OKC at night. I even saved a .jpg from The Oklahoman website (a TV 9 webcam) of OKC at 6:00AM from the Integris site. I miss that place terribly!

As mentioned by someone above, in fact, I remember the construction of Lake Hefner Parkway in 1990. I remember when Hefner Drive went all the way around the lake and now it doesn't, due to the parkway. I've also lived several places there [mostly in and around Warr Acres]. When I lived at 122nd Street & MacArthur, I can remember it being almost desolate and barren. [I worked at the Sonic Drive-In there.] The last time I visited OKC a couple years ago, that area was booming and thriving!!!!

I can only imagine what it will look like when we visit next year!!!! :)

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-17-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a historic moment:

There was one day when I went to work. I had a meeting scheduled for 10:00 with some people. We got in the meeting, and 10 minutes later we found out that the bombing had happened. I led our group in prayer. 15 minutes later we found out one of the attendants who we were looking for was in the building. We all realized how one minute, you can be furious at someone for being late, and next minute mourn their death, and that these things happen at anytime, and anywhere. In OKC, you would always expect a tornado or freeway accident to take lives, not terorism.

windowphobe
01-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I actually met Linda Soundtrak (Verin). Very nice, and only slightly reminiscent of the cartoon character she became in her TV spots.

The real old-timers here can probably tell you about KOKH-TV (yes, channel 25, and they've had the same call letters all along) when it was an educational station run by Oklahoma City Public Schools out of the old adminstration building on Klein.

And remember: At Penn Square Bank you can beep for bucks.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Was that the bank that started the national economic crisis?

Patrick
01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Ah, simply put, Penn Square decided to issue a ton of bad loans to oil and gas companies. THey loaned much more money than they had to back it up. Many other banks wanted to get into the growing oil and gas market...thus they purchased Penn Square's "overlines", thinking that Penn Square new the local oil and gas market well and used this expertise to issue "good" loans with high interest rates. Well, these other banks were sadly mistaken. With Penn Square's foolish and somewhat fraudelant practices, obviously the day came when bankruptcy was the only option. Because of the alliances they had with several other banks on these loans, other banks lost millions as a result of Penn Square's collapse.

Okay, for a better description check out: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/727318/posts

okcpulse
01-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Yupp. The day was July 5, 1982. A lot of Oklahoma Citians were at Lake Texoma for Independence Day when the collapse was announced on the radio.

mranderson
01-19-2005, 05:32 AM
"The real old-timers here can probably tell you about KOKH-TV (yes, channel 25, and they've had the same call letters all along) when it was an educational station run by Oklahoma City Public Schools out of the old adminstration building on Klein."

Keep Our Kids Happy

mistipetal
01-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Springlake. That's one of my favorite memories as a kid. They had a lil roller coaster I could ride forever. Great summer days and so much fun. I cried when I heard it burnt down.

The Reding movie theatre and the apollo twin (sneaking into R rated movies to sit behind the cute boys) I remember when Crossroads was brand new and for me was huge.

The May 3 tornado wiped out the area I ran in as a kid and the homes of my best friends, first real boyfriend. We were over there almost every day.

My grandmother used to tell me stories about the 1930's and 40's OKC. She used to be a Rosy the Riveter at Tinker, would go downtown and see all the jazz greats at the smoke filled clubs and dance.

I remember my horror when I heard there was going to be a dome covering our capital building. In school, loving the two unique things about Oklahoma capital, we were the only ones without a dome and the only ones with an oil well.

I can't remember his name, but the late night host of bad movies who dressed like a vampire...help me out on this one.

kruzun2
01-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Count Gregor was the name of the vampire on the late night movies. I actually met him at Crossroads mall a few years ago when I took my children to Kids Club and had my picture taken with him. He was very nice and not near as old as I thought he would be. He must have been really young when he started doing his spot.

kruzun2
01-23-2005, 07:55 PM
I was born in Edmond over the movie theater, but grew up in south OKC.

There are so many memories that I don't even know where to start. Redding shopping center was actually a farm and when they put the stores in he, Mr. Redding, still lived in his farm house on the north end of the farm at the corner of Western and 36th. I remember seeing horses running. Douglas, to the west of Western, was a dirt road in the early 1950's. I remember when they built South Community hospital, I still call it this to this day. Housing did not go much past 59th street on the south.

We did not have interstate highways. I can remember going to Texas on the old highway 77. When I-35 came in it was great on time, but we missed going through all the small towns.

Capitol Hill was it's own little town with a Katz drug store, Jack and Jill children's store, John A. Brown's (I remember their basement), J.C. Penny's right next door, and Capitol Hill Baptist Church with Hugh Bumpas as pastor. There were lots more, but the memory cells are going. I remember my mom taking me shopping and walking down the street and looking in the windows. Dad used to go to the Katz between Sunday School and church and have a cup of coffee. One time Conway Twitty sat down next to him.

Speaking of Oklahoma Country stars, how many remember Butch and Ben McCain and that Garth Brooks got his start on their show. I remember watching the morning he was on. I have a Butch and Ben signed album. Hum... wonder how much it would be worth on E-bay.

We used to go the the show at the Redskin. It was a really nice walk-in. Sad to see what they have become now.

Someone mentioned the Milk building. My grandfather worked there. Which reminds me of the Anna Maude (I think I spelled it right) Cafeteria downtown. My mother and several aunts worked there.

I found this board when I was looking for information on TG&Y. The National Headquarters were located at 36th and N. Santa Fe. I worked there for 15 years. The best store was at 74th and Penn, the Super store, where you could buy anything, but I really liked the one in Reddings.

One person mentioned Holly's. What about the Spot? That's where all the Capitol Hill students were. We used to drive from the Spot to Hollies to another place on Classen (can't remember the name right now) and back. For good root beer we went to Weber's which is now Colt's. There was a little cafe on the north west corner from Captiol Hill Jr. High call the Lil' Chief. I remember a grocery store on the corner of Western and 25th. I think it was called Kispert's. They had the largest frankfurthers.

I better close now. Will add more later.

downtownguy
01-23-2005, 08:52 PM
I would really appreciate hearing all you can share about your memories of Capitol Hill. It's the one part of town we don't hear enough about.

mistipetal
01-24-2005, 11:49 AM
kruzun2 Thanks! Count Gregor. I watched all the time. I can't believe he is still around. I felt like he was ancient when he was on, must have been some good makeup.

downtownguy,

I didn't grow up in capital hill, my memories are pretty much mid-del...sorry.

kruzun2
01-24-2005, 07:45 PM
In thinking last night about Captiol Hill there is a lot I want to talk about, but need to reach back in my memory and get the names right.

But I do remember "The Scene" run by Ronnie Kaye. It was located on Agnew north of SW 29th. He held dances there for teenagers in the late 60's. He also held Battle Of The Bands. My husband played bass in the Psyterions. The main group who always won were the Psychos with Danny White. The Midnight Rebels were from the north side of OKC. They used to bring a large crowd with them. I heard the other day that Danny owns a Jazz club in OKC. We had lots of fun at the Scene. Ronnie Kaye also had a TV show on Saturday mornings called The Scene. I know that there have been several Reunions held at the fair grounds with the bands who played back then. We went to the first one and had a lot of fun.

I will try to do some research and get the names of the stores in Reddings and other places. I can remember when strip malls were new and the big malls like Crossroads were not even thought of.

Does anyone remember the Humpty Dumpty grocery stores? We had two around us. One in Redding's and one on 29th.

I also remember when McDonalds came to town. Untill then we only had places like Webber's A&W and Del Rancho for drive in fast food. The one I remember was located on 29th east of May. This was in the late 60's as I was in high school and the boys (they did not hire girls) went to work there and we would go and buy a order of fries so we could flirt with them. Does anyone remember that they used to have a sign saying how many hamburgers they had sold. I remember when they hit one million.

Rancho Village Baptist Church, located just south of 36th street between Blackwelder and Kentucky, was struck by lightning and you could still send the spot in the bell tower a few years ago. My husband remembers when it happened as he lived on 36th and saw it happen.

As I think of more I will add to this.

windowphobe
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I worked at that Mickey D's during the summer of 1970. (Not one girl ever flirted with me, but then I had no reason to expect that any of them would.) What I made (at $1.95 an hour or thereabouts) got deposited in Stock Yards Bank.

mistipetal
01-26-2005, 12:59 PM
What about Sonic...it was an early fast food place around. My parents actually met and fell for one another there. Still together also. It was the place to hang out and flirt. It's still there. I remember telling my daughter how her grandparents met at this very sonic. She thought that was cooooool.

okcpulse
01-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I was at Will Rogers World Airport on Sunday dropping family off for their flight back to Houston. We had to go to the old snack bar in the old Concourse C because the food places in the new concourse are beyond passenger check point. Needless to say, I can't wait until the old terminal is nothing BUT a memory.

USG'86
02-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I was 16 in 1984 when I got my first job sacking at Rudy's Redbud at Redding Shopping Center. Rudy Pybus was the owner. One day I met Mr. Redding and his daughter in the parking lot after carrying groceries out for a customer. He must have been in his 80s then. He got out of his daughter's white Continental and just stood there staring at the 'Redding Shopping Center' sign. She must have noticed me staring at her father staring, and explained that he liked to look at his name on the sign. Eeew-kay, I thought. I went back to work. That job lasted just long enough to earn the money to buy myself a '78 Cutlass.

A few stores down from Rudy's was Otasco. I can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet. Maybe they have and I missed it. I thought Otasco was a fairly odd collection of stuff, from Auto Parts to Toys, in a very small store.

My second job was at Home Software at Crossroads (lower level entrance corridor near Penney's). While I was there, we carried software for the Apple II, Macintosh, Commodore VIC-20 & 64, Amiga, IBM PC/PCjr, and Atari 400/800/ST. Across the hall from us was a restaurant called The Lion's Den (I think). I was a sucker for the chocolate-chip cookies they sold to weak-willed people right at the restaurant entrance. They had red house phones at each table to place your order, and when it was ready a red light would flash on your phone. They had another restaurant on S. Penn, just north of 44th. I always ordered the Hickory Burger.

Going back a few more years, I remember my Grandpa took me to see OETA's Festival '76 in the center of the open-air Penn Square Mall. I just remember that they played the music really, really loudly over the speakers when they went live for a pledge segment from the mall.

I miss TG&Y, too. In addition to the countless toys my family got me there, I bought a Kodak Super 8 movie camera at the store on 74th & Penn when I was about 11. I think I still have it around here somewhere. I put it on lay-a-way because I think it cost me close to 35 bucks! My Grandpa always had dozens of creative alternative names for the TG&Y acronym. 'Turtles, Girdles and Yo-Yos' was my favorite. I remember I always blushed when he said 'girdles.'

Thanks for the memories, folks.

mranderson
02-05-2005, 07:46 AM
I know all the joke names for TG&Y, however, I have a question. (I know the answer, I am just seeing if anyone else does).

If you worked at TG&Y and remember your employee manual, you know this. What did the letters TG&Y really stand for?

Keith
02-05-2005, 01:28 PM
I also have some real good memories of the Redding Shopping Center, and Rudy's Bestyet. I was in my early 20's (in 1982), and I was a salesman for a food broker that was based out of Tulsa. I only lived a few blocks from the Redding, and Rudy Pybas was one of my best customers.

He had stores at SW.59 & Penn, and SW.59 & May, and I became very good friends with the managers of each store. I remember when Rudy had his business office in an office complex at SW.89 & Penn. I would call his office and set up appointments with Rudy, so that I could buy space in his weekly flyer to advertise my products. Everytime I went in to see him, he always had a smile on his face, and he was very friendly. He was a very easy man to do business with, and I always felt comfortable talking to him. One thing you never did was lie to Rudy, or try to get one past him. I had too much respect for him to try anything like that, but I did witness a few other salesmen doing that, and he promply kicked some of their products out of all his stores.

I also remember when he bought the Buy-For-Less store at SE.44 & I-35. Many salesmen were setting up appointments with him to set up big grand opening specials. I actually sold him 3 semi truckloads of Libby's canned vegetables, and he sold them for 4/$1.00. You never see that anymore.

Eventually, Southwest Medical Center bought the land and was planning on expanding. Because of that, all the stores in the shopping center had to be shut down, and then they were all torn down so that the expansion of the hospital could begin. One of the saddest days of my life as a salesman, was the day that I heard that Mr. Pybas had passed away. He was certainly an excellent business owner, and was always talking to each employee he saw in his stores. They were like family to him. His legacy and the great memories will always be there.

Curt
02-15-2005, 03:38 PM
I live near Detroit, my best memory was when I first visited OKC two years ago, and have been back twelve times since. I visited to meet a woman I had been talking to and not only fell in love with her, but also OKC. We no longer talk, but I still want to move there.

Zoedith
02-15-2005, 10:18 PM
I miss the Mcdonalds with the biplane inside. I believe it was the one at meridian and I-40. We had out bithday parties there and would east off the wings.

Other places for birthdays were showbiz pizza, and crystals pizza. I hear there is a crystals pizza in texas that also has the cartoon room.

I remember as a preteen being dropped off at the dollar shows. The one of NW Expressway and the one off 2-40.

I also remember Photon. Does anyone else remember that? I still have my little ID. My brother would get so mad at me for following him around and getting him shot.

One of the first video rental stores was right by white water.

xrayman
02-25-2005, 01:16 AM
I know all the joke names for TG&Y, however, I have a question. (I know the answer, I am just seeing if anyone else does).

If you worked at TG&Y and remember your employee manual, you know this. What did the letters TG&Y really stand for?
Ahhhh.....Thompson, Goslin (sp?) and Young! I believe that there is still an art structure with their names on it at the airport. Great civic leaders from the past!

xrayman
02-25-2005, 01:20 AM
I miss downtown as I remember it in the early sixties. The movie theaters of which a couple could have been called palaces, the department stores, the retail that kept it bustling. The art deco buildings we lost in urban renewal. A lot about the old downtown actually.

The fun places - Wedgewood and Springlake amusement parks. A lot of memories at both places.

Too many things that are gone to list! However, in their places are many great places that future generations will remember just as fondly.

mranderson
02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Ahhhh.....Thompson, Goslin (sp?) and Young! I believe that there is still an art structure with their names on it at the airport. Great civic leaders from the past!

You missed one.

xrayman
02-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I did???
Thompson, Goslin (sp?) and Young.
That's TG&Y...
Trick question ----- or did I really miss something?
What do I win?????? I like my cars black or dark blue!
EDIT: You are absolutely right. I realize what I did, I won't ruin it for someone else and let the games continue! I guess that means my car color really doesn't matter, huh?

mranderson
02-26-2005, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=xrayman]I did???
Thompson, Goslin (sp?) and Young.
That's TG&Y...
Trick question ----- or did I really miss something?

Tomlinson, Goslin and Young.

xrayman
02-26-2005, 04:44 PM
I had just edited my post above and saw your post.
I was close, but no cigar (or car).

Moondog
03-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Yes, I know... the topic is called "Oklahoma City Memories".... but most of my memories are centered around my hometown of Guthrie and neighboring Edmond, which are part of the greater metro area :)

I can remember when Edmond's hospital was red brick and went by the name Edmond Memorial Hospital. I can remember when the doctors building on the SE corner was erected... I want to say around 1985.

Bealls, TG&Y, Edmond Discount Foods, Anthony's and Wyatt's Cafeteria were the main anchors at Bryant Square. There was another TG&Y at Edmond Plaza, along with a Skagg's Alpha Beta. There was a Safeway at 2nd & Broadway. The now-closed hotel across from UCO (then it was Central State Univ) was a brand new Sheraton. Another memory is when Kickingbird Square was built, anchored by a Foodworld, Hyde Drug and the Cinemas. In Edmond, there was nothing south of 33rd or west of the railroad tracks. And traffic in Edmond: I can remember when there wasn't any. Back then (1980s) Edmond was home to just about 35,000. (I believe it's up to about 80,000 now... I could be off just a little)

One memory that stands out: The 1986 Post Office shooting spree. A friend of my mothers just happened to be one of the postal workers who worked out of that post office. But he lucked out, he wasn't there during the rampage. My mom was pretty worried until she found out he was ok.

Now to Guthrie. Back then, downtown Guthrie wasn't the place for antiques, art galleries and B&Bs. Downtown was the place to shop for everything! We bought our clothing at JCPenney and Anthony's. There were numerous locally owned shops selling everything from dresses and shoes to hardware and electronics. My great-uncle operated the downtown Radio Shack until his death and along with his death came the death of the downtown Radio Shack. We knew it was back to school time when mom would take us to McVicker's Stationary Supply. I got my first bicycle from Otasco (anyone remember them?) Next door to Otasco, was Coast to Coast hardware -- which was pretty similar to an Ace or True Value. One of my earliest memories: Seeing E.T. at the Melba Theatre, now occupied by the Pollard Theatre. The town was angry when the Melba closed and the Pollard came in. That meant we had to go to the Beacon Drive In (still open) or go to Kickingbird Cinemas in Edmond.

The best memory I have of downtown Guthrie was in 1988 when I met Tom Cruise when him and Dustin Hoffman were in town filming Rain Man. I got his autograph and talked to him for like a minute. He was really friendly!

The Penney's and the Anthony's are both gone, as is the Otasco, McVicker's stationery store, Coast to Coast and pretty much everything else. However, Downtown Guthrie is anything but dead. Downtown Guthrie has just revamped itself into a tourist destination with the art galleries, antique shops, etc. I'll argue with anyone 'til I'm blue in the face that Guthrie has the best downtown of any town in the state. But the lure of Wal Mart and proximity to neighboring Edmond and OKC wiped out most of the real retail in Downtown Guthrie.

carlinda50
03-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Wedgewood Park - When it first opened it was at 59th & N May Ave on the west side of the street, where Best Buy is today. We would drive south on May Ave and it was so exciting for a kid to see that little Ferris Wheel at the top of the hill ahead. I think they had a pony ride and a little bitty roller coaster. There was a golf driving range where dads could practice hitting the ball towards where Home Depot is now.

We lived between JMHS and Nichols Hills Elem. We'd shop at Corsin's or Humpty Dumpty in Casady Sq or Precure's in Britton, or even Puddin' Lanes IGA where Johnnie's is today. Britton Rd was 2 lanes. You could drive west from Puddin' Lanes (the bowling alley was on the N side of the street), past the Twilight Gardens (which had a great Kiddieland with a little train) and come to May Ave. Turn N on May and there was the Sonic on the west side and then the water tower and the Hangar, or turn S towards Wedgewood and you'd pass a Tastee-Freez on the left, then the Lakeside Theater and the shops across the street. I think there was a Humpty Dumpty at the S end of Lakeside shops, too.

There wasn't much on May then, but the just past the Sinclair station at 63rd & May, you'd see Wedgewood ahead.

Growing up in OKC in the 50's was the best.

vineyardalto
03-06-2005, 05:35 PM
What a GREAT thread! Thought I’d add some of my many memories of OKC:

Danny Williams and co-host Mary Hart (later Kerri Robertson?) on “Dannysday” (our 10th grade Swing Choir performed on that show in 1979)

Ho Ho the Clown

Listening to KOMA and WKY in the mid to late-70s, when they were pop stations; debut of “album rock” station KATT

Springlake Amusement Park (the Big Dipper, Wilde Maus, Calypso, etc), Frontier City in the early days, State Fair of Oklahoma (as a kid, my favorite thing was the Native American dances), the Oklahoma City Zoo (I have home movies of my folks pushing me in a stroller around the zoo in 1966)

Penn Square Mall when it was an open air shopping center; the opening of the first mega-mall, Crossroads; Shepherd Mall

Shopping for toys at TG&Y, Gibson’s, C.R. Anthony’s, Walls Bargain Center, Streets, and … anyone remember this one? … AMC Department Store, now the AMC Flea Market

Us kids being dropped off at movie theaters such as the Apollo Twin, the Del City Theater, North Park Cinema

Eating at Kip’s Big Boy, Zider Zee Seafood Restaurant, Sleepy Hollow, chicken fried steaks at Del Rancho, Dotson’s Cafeteria, Don’s Alley, A&W Drive-ins (Papa, Mama and Baby Burgers)

Thanks for the memory of Linda Soundtrack -- I’d forgotten her!!

The late night horror movie (wasn’t there a “Dialing for Dollars” type of thing?)
Trust House Jewelers

B.C. Clark’s Christmas commercial

I remember going to dinner at a restaurant with my mom in either Moore or OKC in the early '70s, and watching Conway Twitty walk in and get a table. About a year ago, Mom pointed out his former house in Moore to me.

Leslie

vineyardalto
03-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Was anybody else sad to see the Moore Shopping Center "golden arches" taken down?? They had been there since I could remember!