View Full Version : Oklahoma City Memories

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

papaOU
04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
The thing I hated about new Levi's is that Mom would not let us wash them before we wore them for the first time. You could hear us a mile away and you could end-up with rashes in some of the strangest places. Cornstarch.

Prunepicker
04-10-2009, 09:53 AM
The thing I hated about new Levi's is that Mom would not let us wash them
before we wore them for the first time. You could hear us a mile away and
you could end-up with rashes in some of the strangest places. Cornstarch.

That awful memory was totally gone until you brought it up. Now I'm going
to have to go back to therapy.

Generals64
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
That awful memory was totally gone until you brought it up. Now I'm going
to have to go back to therapy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
took a long time to get the blue out of your underwear also.....I have the same feelings Pruner.....Why wash them????they're not dirty....Also, it was late the other night and my calculator was still turned on...

grantgeneral78
04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
The thing I hated about new Levi's is that Mom would not let us wash them before we wore them for the first time. You could hear us a mile away and you could end-up with rashes in some of the strangest places. Cornstarch.

hahaha I had forgot all about that!

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
took a long time to get the blue out of your underwear also... I have the
same feelings Pruner... Why wash them? they're not dirty... Also, it was late
the other night and my calculator was still turned on...

Prunette put my best friend in the washer. I'd only worn them a few weeks.
Some women get testy about some things.

grantgeneral78
04-13-2009, 05:27 PM
remember that hugepair of jeans hanging from the ceiling in anthonys on 29th OMG they were humongoooooo.

Generals64
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
remember that hugepair of jeans hanging from the ceiling in anthonys on 29th OMG they were humongoooooo.

I used to have a pair of them as well as a pair of size 90's women's panties.....Don't know what happened to either of them...

papaOU
04-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I used to have a pair of them as well as a pair of size 90's women's panties.....Don't know what happened to either of them...

I think my ex-wife has them. When she sits around the house she really sits around the house.
Used to call her my Big Legged Emma.:tiphat:

Theres a big dilemma
About my big leg emma, uh-huh, oh yeah
Theres a big dilemma
She was my steady date
Until she put on weight

Theres a big dilemma
Theres a big dilemma
She used to knock me out
Until her face broke out

grantgeneral78
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I think my ex-wife has them. When she sits around the house she really sits around the house.
Used to call her my Big Legged Emma.:tiphat:

Theres a big dilemma
Theres a big dilemma
She was my steady date
Until she put on weight

Theres a big dilemma
Theres a big dilemma
She used to knock me out
Until her face broke out

uhoh papa is loosing it again....lol

Generals64
04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
uhoh papa is loosing it again....lol
Hey, put the little blue things down....go nite-nite.....

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
remember that hugepair of jeans hanging from the ceiling in Anthony's on
29th OMG they were humongoooooo.

I remember them. I think every C.R. Anthony's had them.

Funny, I don't remember the name of those jeans. Momprune wouldn't buy us
Levi's. We wore whatever Anthony's sold or Wrangler.

Generals64
04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I remember them. I think every C.R. Anthony's had them.

Funny, I don't remember the name of those jeans. Momprune wouldn't buy us
Levi's. We wore whatever Anthony's sold or Wrangler.
Buckeye's or Tuf-Nut was the other brands......

grantgeneral78
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Buckeye's or Tuf-Nut was the other brands......

HAHAHAHA i FORGOT ALL ABOUT TUF NUT JEANS 2 FUNNY MAN:LolLolLol

Generals64
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
HAHAHAHA i FORGOT ALL ABOUT TUF NUT JEANS 2 FUNNY MAN:LolLolLol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry about the other's, they were called Buckhides....Langston's sold them also....

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2009, 01:19 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry about the other's, they were called Buckhides....Langston's sold them also....
Do you know who sold "Billy the Kid" jeans? I think the only ones came in black..

papaOU
04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you know who sold "Billy the Kid" jeans? I think the only ones came in black..

Billy the Kids Mother after he was killed. He had 60 pair.:LolLolLol

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Billy the Kids Mother after he was killed. He had 60 pair.:LolLolLol
Maybe that's why they were BLACK, stop, your killin' me!! LMAO

papaOU
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe that's why they were BLACK, stop, your killin' me!! LMAO

Be careful!! LMAO too much and your jeans won't fit.:tiphat:

teb
05-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I need your help. Does anyone in OKC know, or have a lead to locate, Jerry Adams. He was a popular OKC TV news anchor during the 70s and 80s. I am writing a book on Tulsa music, and during the late 50s and early 60s, he was part of the Tulsa music scene...even recorded a record. If you have any info on him, please email me at: blackwellt at ahec dot edu. Thanks. Teb.

papaOU
05-17-2009, 03:56 PM
I need your help. Does anyone in OKC know, or have a lead to locate, Jerry Adams. He was a popular OKC TV news anchor during the 70s and 80s. I am writing a book on Tulsa music, and during the late 50s and early 60s, he was part of the Tulsa music scene...even recorded a record. If you have any info on him, please email me at: blackwellt at ahec dot edu. Thanks. Teb.

If it's the same Jerry Adams you might contact KMOA. Ronnie Kaye or Fred Hendrickson. They have been on air forever. The Jerry Adams I am aware of was a news caster for WKY T.V. now KFOR in okc. Someone, like Bob Barry Sr. would know. Another oldie doing t.v. commercials now is Danny Williams. If you don't get info from one of these people it's a lost cause. Wish I could give you a number or more info. Good Luck..................

papaOU
05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I found this:

Tulsa TV Memories GroupBlog 282

tulsatvmemories.com/gb021309.html - 46k

Generals64
05-26-2009, 09:28 PM
do you remember the Shriners circus that they would put on in the Municipal auditorium (Civic Center)....then the Cerebral Palsy telephone...before there was a Jerry's kid's....that was a place for a cheap date....you could go there with you girlfriend and see the talent that would show up and split a Coke and large bag of Popcorn...Maybe cost a dollar. but, we had fun...How about Cruising the old Reno avenue area?....I remember one night we had a halloween mask and we were going to scare this "drunk" we accomplished the deal but it made him so mad he chase the car for a block.....doesn't say much about the speed of the old chevy does it.....Summer's is now upon us and we need to dig the old OKC memories for the new posters to this thread.....ever have an Ice Cream fight?????Hmmmm little costly now though....Come on now, dig back and tell some of your good times in OKC as kid or as an adult....

gen70
05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I know it's been brought up before but I remember watermelon was a big deal. We had watermelon feasts (we called em) after ball games after church and after almost any group function. The watermelon place on S.W. 59th & Kentucky was owned by a friend of mines Dad, last name Hunt. Also remember a watermelon place at S.W. 44th & Portland. We had alot of watermelon feasts at Golf Acres. Man I'am gonna go get me some watermelon right now.

Generals64
05-27-2009, 10:42 AM
I know it's been brought up before but I remember watermelon was a big deal. We had watermelon feasts (we called em) after ball games after church and after almost any group function. The watermelon place on S.W. 59th & Kentucky was owned by a friend of mines Dad, last name Hunt. Also remember a watermelon place at S.W. 44th & Portland. We had alot of watermelon feasts at Golf Acres. Man I'am gonna go get me some watermelon right now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the 74th st.
TG&Y we used to have a yearly watermelon feast..Everyone was invited but, we normally waited til the last of July as we were trying to drum up business before Back to School. Sidewalk sales, Rodeoes and Free Watermelon. I would have a farmer from Rush Springs bring up a 16 ft trailer full of the melons and the feast and contests would begin....Talk about a mess to clean up.....But a good time was had by all.....We need to have a watermelon meeting before the summer is over.....What do you guys think?????

papaOU
05-27-2009, 02:37 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the 74th st.
TG&Y we used to have a yearly watermelon feast..Everyone was invited but, we normally waited til the last of July as we were trying to drum up business before Back to School. Sidewalk sales, Rodeoes and Free Watermelon. I would have a farmer from Rush Springs bring up a 16 ft trailer full of the melons and the feast and contests would begin....Talk about a mess to clean up.....But a good time was had by all.....We need to have a watermelon meeting before the summer is over.....What do you guys think?????

I always loved the yellow meated. Of course I loved them all.

How about the homemade ice cream? Usually vanilla but at times we added fruit; strawberries, peaches, my favorite blackberries. Anyone under 30 should have to hand-crank one gallon.

Blackberries? Anyone go picking' blackberries (other than my dad and I)?

Prunepicker
05-27-2009, 04:59 PM
... We need to have a watermelon meeting before the summer is over... What
do you guys think?

Sounds good to me, as long as there are plenty of napkins.

papaOU
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Sounds good to me, as long as there are plenty of napkins.

A watermelon feast sounds good. Maybe an extra meeting than the saturday meeting. I know I have only attended three but our group is a lot of fun. :tiphat:

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
i'm in for the watermelon . But i'm not crankin the ice cream

gen70
05-28-2009, 07:56 AM
i'm in for the watermelon . But i'm not crankin the ice cream

If I could possibly be there I would gladly crank the ice cream for a short photo shot then plug in the new fangled electric crank.

Prunepicker
05-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm in for the watermelon . But i'm not crankin the ice cream

Was crankin' ice cream mentioned? Too much vigorous exercise could
diminished my Atlas-like figure, and you've all see what an awesome
spectacle it is.

I'm all for the electric cranker, or somebody else.

twinkles
05-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Blackberries? Anyone go picking' blackberries (other than my dad and I)?

Heck yeah, picked blackberries. Dewberries, too. And while you are snacking on the berries, chiggers are snacking on you!

And why would you waste fresh blackberries in ice cream - blackberries are for cobbler baby!

Homemade ice cream for us was either vanilla or black walnut.

papaOU
05-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Was crankin' ice cream mentioned? Too much vigorous exercise could
diminished my Atlas-like figure, and you've all see what an awesome
spectacle it is.

I'm all for the electric cranker, or somebody else.

Remember when it was your turn to crank and after 5 or 6 turns you yelled, "It's ready!" only to be told to keep crankin...........

papaOU
05-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Heck yeah, picked blackberries. Dewberries, too. And while you are snacking on the berries, chiggers are snacking on you!

And why would you waste fresh blackberries in ice cream - blackberries are for cobbler baby!

Never had a problem with chiggers, tic's, mosquitoes or any other blood sucking parasites or insects.

I have a reputation in their kingdom.

Last mosquito to bite me had to check into the Betty Ford Clinic.......

Prunepicker
05-28-2009, 09:57 PM
... Heck yeah, picked blackberries...

Prunette intentionally planted blackberries.

papaOU
05-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Seldom used the berries in ice cream. You're right! Best in cobbler or pie. Heat it and put ice cream on it.
Another way we ate berries was with cream and a little touch of sugar.

twinkles
05-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Or mascerated berries on sweet biscuits! Yum yum!

bradleyracn11
07-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I had many memories of the Fairgrounds as a kid. My dad was a sign painter and painted the "State Fair of Oklahoma" sign across the cattle barns that can be seen from 44 and the huge "Grandstand" sign obviously on the Grandstands. I believe it was painted for Gerald Ford's visit back in 76. I remember as a kid watching the clowns at the dunk tank make everyone mad. The Fair used to be so big until they expanded the event to what seemed like 3 weeks in the late 80's. I also used to sneak onto the racetrack and ride my bicycle on the dirt track.

papaOU
07-08-2009, 08:25 PM
I had many memories of the Fairgrounds as a kid. My dad was a sign painter and painted the "State Fair of Oklahoma" sign across the cattle barns that can be seen from 44 and the huge "Grandstand" sign obviously on the Grandstands. I believe it was painted for Gerald Ford's visit back in 76. I remember as a kid watching the clowns at the dunk tank make everyone mad. The Fair used to be so big until they expanded the event to what seemed like 3 weeks in the late 80's. I also used to sneak onto the racetrack and ride my bicycle on the dirt track.

My memeory of the race track was a Willie Nelson 4th of July Picnic there one year. They sold beer in plastic gallon milk jugs. Tom T. Hall pulled a woman from the audience to sing with him. She was so wasted all she did was let out a yeee hawwwwww. The place was steaming hot. But I stayed to the end.

kevinpate
07-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I miss Tom T Hall stories. Growing up most of my friends thought I was nuts, but I liked him, like Jerry Clower, rarely missed Hee Haw.

papaOU
07-09-2009, 02:54 AM
I miss Tom T Hall stories. Growing up most of my friends thought I was nuts, but I liked him, like Jerry Clower, rarely missed Hee Haw.

The song was "The Cowboy and the Poet"

Faster horses, younger women, and the girl was supposed to add, "and more money." She was too drunk to remember to do that.

dalewill
07-23-2009, 01:16 AM
I was born in 1955 at the old Edmond Hosptial above the Broncho Theatre. Edmond was very small at that time (around 7500) and there wasn't much except country when you drove past Kelly on the west side, Danforth on the North, 15th St on the South and Central State College on the East. When we were kids, we used to go to Reynolds Park east of Central State (I believe it is where Kickingbird Golf Course was eventually built) and shoot fireworks. On the way home we would stop at a DQ or Tastee Freeze on 2nd Street just south of the college and across from Fink Park.

My dad would drive us to campmeeting in Oklahoma City which was located at Nw 10th and Rockwell. We would drive Edmond Road to McArthur and down to 63rd or so and it was pretty much farm land the whole way until we got to 63rd street.

Does anyone remember the old Hope Minature Golf place on either Kelly or Eastern just east of the zoo? They had batting cages too and great sno cones.

Cafeterias: O'Mealy's on May Ave, Tropical on 23rd and Villa?, Adairs at several locations and Anna Maude downtown. Oh, and the Queen Ann Cafeteria as well.

I was also remembering the old "Stars and Stripes Show" that was put on every fourth of July for a few years in the late 60's or early 70s. They had some celebreties such as Red Skelton and Bob Hope attend and one year it was actually televised nationally. I can't remember the TV promoter who put that together but he was one of the pioneers in early OKC TV.

I live in Texas now but I will always consider my self an Oklahoman and I love Oklahoma City and all it's history. I know I will move back there someday. Thanks for a great place to remember.

gen70
07-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Same...same...i live in s.c. And will not rest easy if not return to okc later,

gen70
07-24-2009, 10:07 PM
N,c. Not s.c. My bad

papaOU
07-25-2009, 01:46 AM
N,c. Not s.c. My bad

Are you sure you are NOT in OKC and hallucinating, believing you are in the Carolina's?

gen70
07-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Too many silver bullets Fri. night.

gen70
08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
I remember watching the Blazers at the fairgrounds arena and the 89ers at the fairgrounds.

USG '60
08-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Seeing Ray Charles there when it was brand new. My first concert, too.

papaOU
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Too many silver bullets Fri. night.

I crack-up every time I see or hear "silver bullet". Used to be the term used to describe the hypo used to cure VD. Learned that from dating Grant girls.

Generals64
08-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Remember when the Motels on Lincoln going towards the Capitol Building were nice and expensive....The Palomino?????

Karp's Drive-Inn was out there somewhere does anyone remember that or am I just losing my mind????AGAIN....

Prunepicker
08-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Remember when the Motels on Lincoln going towards the Capitol Building
were nice and expensive... The Palomino?

Karp's Drive-Inn was out there somewhere does anyone remember that or
am I just losing my mind? AGAIN...

I remember the Palomino motel. It was so expensive that people could only
afford to stay there for an hour. There were a couple of other 10 star
motels on Lincoln, too. The names escape me. The WigWam and the Will
Rogers?

Don't forget the Trade Winds. Every representative and senator was there
for lunch!

I knew the guy who was hired to tear down the Palomino.

I don't remember Karp's.

Generals64
08-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I remember the Palomino motel. It was so expensive that people could only
afford to stay there for an hour. There were a couple of other 10 star
motels on Lincoln, too. The names escape me. The WigWam and the Will
Rogers?

Don't forget the Trade Winds. Every representative and senator was there
for lunch!

I knew the guy who was hired to tear down the Palomino.

I don't remember Karp's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karp's (maybe Carp's) was the local Northside teenie-bopper hang-out...

USG '60
08-22-2009, 06:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karp's (maybe Carp's) was the local Northside teenie-bopper hang-out...Wasn't it a bit south of 36th on the west side of Lincoln?

Generals64
08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Wasn't it a bit south of 36th on the west side of Lincoln?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yep I think you're right. You are the only one of this crowd that would remember Carps' other than Red/Gen and he just hits and runs anymore....that guy has a memory like a Steel trap....

Prunepicker
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Yep I think you're right. You are the only one of this crowd that would
remember Carps' other than Red/Gen and he just hits and runs anymore...
that guy has a memory like a Steel trap...

I remember hearing of it but never knew where it was. At least it sounds
familiar.

Redskins/General
08-23-2009, 05:57 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yep I think you're right. You are the only one of this crowd that would remember Carps' other than Red/Gen and he just hits and runs anymore....that guy has a memory like a Steel trap....
Just Hits and runs huh!! Well, I like that.. It was spelled Carps and it was on the west side of Lincoln, but I may be wrong but I would swear it was just North of N.E. 23rd like 24th or so? I may be wrong on that but I don't think so. Actually I think it was between 23rd and 24th.....

USG '60
08-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Just Hits and runs huh!! Well, I like that.. It was spelled Carps and it was on the west side of Lincoln, but I may be wrong but I would swear it was just North of N.E. 23rd like 24th or so? I may be wrong on that but I don't think so. Actually I think it was between 23rd and 24th.....I was thinking it was north of most of the motels. That is why I thought it was closer to 36th.

Redskins/General
08-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I was thinking it was north of most of the motels. That is why I thought it was closer to 36th.
You may very well be correct, I just can't remember that well where it was!! That's been a while back, I don't remember what year they closed either!!

andy157
08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone remember the 89er Inn, and what year it burned down? East side of Lincoln between 23rd and 36th.

3arr0ws
09-02-2009, 12:08 AM
l'm new here...anyone remember rotary park. l lived near there on 17th street

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Welcome, I think most of us do.......I went to the pool at rotary some.....