View Full Version : Oklahoma City Memories

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

papaOU
06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed and have been amused at all the postings on this site----I have been reminiscing on all the places mentioned---Bixlers, Cherry's, Hollies, Dennis Donuts, Crystals, Shotgun Sams, Shakey's Pizza Parlor, Sugar Shack, Carps, Kaisers and all the many other places. I am not too familiar with the areas other than the North part of OKC---I did a juvenile program and was required to go to Mulligan Flats and was so appalled at the area and felt ashamed of all the material items I had and worried about those who lived there and also in the Flats area also. Being so young, they were rather reluctant to allow me to work in that area---but I wanted to---until I saw how it was at that time. I also worked for many years for Curtis Photography on Classen Blvd and then returned and completed my degree at Central State Collge in Edmond. . Those of you who have posted are quite a group and I have really enjoyed and have been amused with you all. You all are quite a group!!! I do want to ask if any of you all can remember a restaurant where you ordered at the table with a phone and there were little juke boxes on the table also. Seems as if it was on Lincoln??? I know it wasn't the Across the Street Restaurant for certain. Could anyone be of help??? Thanks and I look forward to reading more posts---it has been like a time machine warp!!!!

You never went to the Spot?

RealJimbo
06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed and have been amused at all the postings on this site----I have been reminiscing on all the places mentioned---Bixlers, Cherry's, Hollies, Dennis Donuts, Crystals, Shotgun Sams, Shakey's Pizza Parlor, Sugar Shack, Carps, Kaisers and all the many other places. I am not too familiar with the areas other than the North part of OKC---I did a juvenile program and was required to go to Mulligan Flats and was so appalled at the area and felt ashamed of all the material items I had and worried about those who lived there and also in the Flats area also. Being so young, they were rather reluctant to allow me to work in that area---but I wanted to---until I saw how it was at that time. I also worked for many years for Curtis Photography on Classen Blvd and then returned and completed my degree at Central State Collge in Edmond. . Those of you who have posted are quite a group and I have really enjoyed and have been amused with you all. You all are quite a group!!! I do want to ask if any of you all can remember a restaurant where you ordered at the table with a phone and there were little juke boxes on the table also. Seems as if it was on Lincoln??? I know it wasn't the Across the Street Restaurant for certain. Could anyone be of help??? Thanks and I look forward to reading more posts---it has been like a time machine warp!!!!

Curtis Photography! When I worked for TG&Y Stores, I was promoted into a management job and they sent me to Curtis for a portrait. I still remember that wooden box camera he used and wish I had one just like it. It was mounted so that the box could be tilted any direction. His photo work was great. I still have that photo.

Can't recall the restaurant you are asking about. There were many that had the telephones at the booths and many that had juke boxes at the booths but I can't recall any that had both.

Generals64
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Curtis Photography! When I worked for TG&Y Stores, I was promoted into a management job and they sent me to Curtis for a portrait. I still remember that wooden box camera he used and wish I had one just like it. It was mounted so that the box could be tilted any direction. His photo work was great. I still have that photo.

Can't recall the restaurant you are asking about. There were many that had the telephones at the booths and many that had juke boxes at the booths but I can't recall any that had both.
================================================== =========
Didn't the Sussy's on North Lincoln have those?...About 36th street???

RealJimbo
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
================================================== =========
Didn't the Sussy's on North Lincoln have those?...About 36th street???

I don't think so. By the way, old joke: why did Sussy's keep burning down? answer: He couldn't start a flood.

Prunepicker
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Didn't the Sussy's on North Lincoln have those? About 36th street?
... and on the N.E. corner. I never went to Susy's so I don't know if they had
phones or not. Susy's is how Jake Samara, the real owner of Sussy's, spelled
on the first sign. Jake owned the Tempo Club. He was so tight he wouldn't
buy a new sign and had the painter cover it with, "Susy's". That's what Jake
told me. I have a copy of a check he wrote to me. It said, "The King's Club"
and Susy's Restaurant. I think he owned about every dive tavern in OKC.

Yes, Jake was one of the Samara brothers.

kevinpate
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't think so. By the way, old joke: why did Sussy's keep burning down? answer: He couldn't start a flood.

Oh, that's good.

bluedogok
06-14-2010, 07:03 PM

Oh, that's good.
That was always the joke about the every 5-7 year fire at the Red Dog as well....must have been time for a remodel.

papaOU
06-14-2010, 07:52 PM
A raging Lightning Creek. Almost like today. Back a few years ago this rainfall would have equaled FLOOD!!!

RealJimbo
06-15-2010, 02:46 PM
That was always the joke about the every 5-7 year fire at the Red Dog as well....must have been time for a remodel.

A fire at the Red Dog was the only way to get it clean. Did you ever see the skanky women who danced there? Ick!

skyrick
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM

That was a Large Format view camera. Still in use all over the non-digital photo world, and new ones are also available. There are still a lot of us out there. I have a Medium Format Graflex. It uses sheet film approximately the same size as 120 roll film, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. The front standard tilts up or down as you noted. LF cameras and sheet film are still available in 4x5 (most common), 5x7 and 8x10.

skyrick
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
A fire at the Red Dog was the only way to get it clean. Did you ever see the skanky women who danced there? Ick!

Only thing skankier than Red Dog dancers were the dancers at a string of 2 or 3 really small strip clubs a mile or so east of the Dog on the north side of 10th street. I used to deliver Miller beer there. I think/remember that one was an Outlaws MC hangout and one was the Hangmen's lair.

OSUMom
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM

Ok, you are seriously ringing some bells with the jukeboxes at the tables. I remember flipping through the song choices as a kid. But for the life of me I can't remember what restaurant it was. Darn it.

bluedogok
06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I think Ann's Chicken Fry had them at one point. I vaguely remember them at some other places.

The only place that I definitely remember having them was Campisi's/Egyptian Restaurant in Dallas.

ljbab728
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Ok, you are seriously ringing some bells with the jukeboxes at the tables. I remember flipping through the song choices as a kid. But for the life of me I can't remember what restaurant it was. Darn it.

Those table jukeboxes were really not that unusual. I remember that a number of places had those when I was young. I can't give you a specific name at this point but I think at least one was even in a bowling alley restaurant that I frequented, maybe Capitol on 29th.

USG '60
06-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Those table jukeboxes were really not that unusual. I remember that a number of places had those when I was young. I can't give you a specific name at this point but I think at least one was even in a bowling alley restaurant that I frequented, maybe Capitol on 29th.

Garland's had them. They were common from mid-50s thru mid 60s.

jmpokc1957
08-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Most of my memories centered around the NW part of town.

I worked at Kennards Grocery at 50th and MacArthur for a few years. Mr. Kennard was a great guy. He gave a lot of kids a chance at a job. I also remember the minimum wage was $1.30 !

Fishing on the docks at Lake Hefner was great fun. We could ride our bikes there and afterward we'd go to the ranger station where we'd get a pop and they'd let us go up into the observation tower.

There was the Oklahoma City Country Club( or something like that ) at 63rd and Portland Ave, across from channel 5. We belonged there for a few years and went swimming there. There was the Coronado Square shopping Center there, too. I remember the barber shop. Walk in on saturday morning and take a number!

My father was an engineer at the General Electric plant. That was in the days when a computer occupied an entire room.

NW 39th street still looked a lot like the old Route 66 it once was.

Good days and we managed to survive without cell phones, computers, the internet or video games.

Anyone else remember these things?

Mike

Prunepicker
08-24-2010, 04:37 PM

I worked at Kennards Grocery at 50th and MacArthur for a few
years. Mr. Kennard was a great guy. He gave a lot of kids a
chance at a job. I also remember the minimum wage was $1.30!

NW 39th street still looked a lot like the old Route 66 it once
was.

Good days and we managed to survive without cell phones,
computers, the internet or video games.

Mike
$1.30 That would be 1968 or 69, right? I know Kennard's
daughter.

I was a southsider but did most of my cruising on the northside.
39th Expressway was a staple as was N. Classen, i.e. Hollie's
to Quick's.

skyrick
08-24-2010, 05:57 PM

I worked at Kennards Grocery at 50th and MacArthur for a few years. Mr. Kennard was a great guy. He gave a lot of kids a chance at a job. I also remember the minimum wage was $1.30 !

Fishing on the docks at Lake Hefner was great fun. We could ride our bikes there and afterward we'd go to the ranger station where we'd get a pop and they'd let us go up into the observation tower.

There was the Oklahoma City Country Club( or something like that ) at 63rd and Portland Ave, across from channel 5. We belonged there for a few years and went swimming there. There was the Coronado Square shopping Center there, too. I remember the barber shop. Walk in on saturday morning and take a number!

My father was an engineer at the General Electric plant. That was in the days when a computer occupied an entire room.

NW 39th street still looked a lot like the old Route 66 it once was.

Good days and we managed to survive without cell phones, computers, the internet or video games.

Mike

Yep, a little west of my territory but that's right in the heart of my Miller Beer and Coca-Cola routes circa 1973-77.

Generals64
08-25-2010, 11:39 AM
a $1.30 per hour?.....I started TG&Y at 65 cents per hour and after a couple of weeks got a raise to 80 cents....then (4 years later) $1.05 but, I got to work 54 hours a week with over time....Then Asst. manager...$125.00 a week and worked about 65 hours a week (no overtime....in middle management by then)...got married then I didn't ever know how much I got......oh yeah, $10.00 per week for lunch....for the week guys.....

Prunepicker
08-25-2010, 12:21 PM
... oh yeah, $10.00 per week for lunch... for the week guys...
Let's see... $0.35 for a hot dog with everything + chili! $0.15
for fries and $0.10 for a fountain drink then $0.02 tax. That's
$0.62 x 4 because you went to El Charrito on Wednesday for
the enchilada special, that was $1.49 and iced tea was $0.15,
$0.05 tax $0.25 tip.

Hey! That's $4.42 on lunch. You had $5.58 for the weekend!
You made out like a bandit!

jmpokc1957
08-25-2010, 02:55 PM
a $1.30 per hour?.....I started TG&Y at 65 cents per hour and after a couple of weeks got a raise to 80 cents....then (4 years later) $1.05 but, I got to work 54 hours a week with over time....Then Asst. manager...$125.00 a week and worked about 65 hours a week (no overtime....in middle management by then)...got married then I didn't ever know how much I got......oh yeah, $10.00 per week for lunch....for the week guys.....

Yup, about $1.30 an hour. That was about 1973. I remember when we got raised to $1.50 or so! Of course with gas
around 25 cents a gallon or less!

Kennards store did a big business, especially on Saturdays. I can remember looking on with awe when someone spent $100 on groceries and the four full carts it got you! Had to call another guy over to help me take it out.

I'll never forget one morning at the Community National Bank at 39th and Macarthur. I saw Mr. Kennard pull up in his beat-up old pickup and pull out sacks of money to take in to deposit. Just slung them over his shoulder and walked right in!!

Those were the days!

Mike

papaOU
08-26-2010, 01:00 AM
My first by the hour job was the summer of 1965. Washed dishes at a hamburger joint downtown on California, just right across the street from the Santa Fe Railroad Station. Only worked the lunch rush Monday - Friday. $.50 an hour.
Downtown OKC was a very busy place during that time and era.

Generals64
08-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey PapaOU was that Ellen's Grille?....there was a diner right across the street from the railroad station....

skyrick
08-27-2010, 03:38 PM
My first by the hour job was the summer of 1965. Washed dishes at a hamburger joint downtown on California, just right across the street from the Santa Fe Railroad Station. Only worked the lunch rush Monday - Friday. $.50 an hour.
Downtown OKC was a very busy place during that time and era.

1st hourly job was busboy at El Charrito-Paseo. 1968. $1.11 an hour. Waiters/waitresses got $0.85.

papaOU
08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Chick's Burger Bar.

3 locations. On W. California across from Santa Fe Depot./ On Walker directly south from the Bus station/ The third on west side of N. Broadway around N.W. 8th or 9th.

Chick's and Cherries could have been mistaken for each other. Same tin (?) building (part of a bus) red and white paint job. Spinning stools, same menu. The location on N. Broadway I know changed hands at least once.

The burgers. So greasy that the bun started falling apart before you were half way through. A real chicken-fried steak sandwich. A hot steak which was roast beef on sliced white bread, mashed taters, all covered in a brown gravy. Individual boxes of cereals, single cans of soup. And a for real "malt" machine.

Prunepicker
08-27-2010, 11:03 PM
1st hourly job was busboy at El Charrito-Paseo. 1968. $1.11 an
hour. Waiters/waitresses got $0.85.
Was Jorge ever the Maitre'd? He was at the one on S. Robinson
for years.

skyrick
08-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Was Jorge ever the Maitre'd? He was at the one on S. Robinson
for years.

Florinda, the old-maid sister of Luis Alvarado, was the hostess for years, then after they sold out to the Cuellar family and became El Chico they hired some incredibly hot, blonde woman from Spain, whose name I can't remember.

RealJimbo
08-28-2010, 09:32 AM
1st hourly job was busboy at El Charrito-Paseo. 1968. $1.11 an hour. Waiters/waitresses got $0.85.

The Paseo restaurant is still my favorite of all time. Lupe was the greatest. My standard order was the Explorer which we nicknamed the exploder.

Prunepicker
08-28-2010, 10:11 AM
The Paseo restaurant is still my favorite of all time. Lupe was the
greatest. My standard order was the Explorer which we
nicknamed the exploder.
Did the Explorer have an enchilada, tamale, taco, rice & beans?

OKCisOK4me
08-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember a place inside of North Park Mall that had a slide going out of it? I might have asked this before but I really can't remember. I believe it was on the west front of the main corridor kinda near the movie theater. It was a kids store and the slide went through the wall at the end and you'd slide out to the main walking area. I remember being a kid (early 1980s) and doing this. What was that place?

Prunepicker
08-28-2010, 10:21 AM
I remember the menu at El Charrito's but not everything because
I always ordered the cheese enchiladas & iced tea. What was
the name of that?

Here are some of the names of the platters, I'm thinking
everything came with rice & beans.

The Defeat - wasn't that soft cheese tacos.

The Explorer -

The Village? or was that Monterrey House?

Laredo -

Nachos - a slice of cheddar and jalapeno on a chip.

What do you all remember?

bluedogok
08-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone remember a place inside of North Park Mall that had a slide going out of it? I might have asked this before but I really can't remember. I believe it was on the west front of the main corridor kinda near the movie theater. It was a kids store and the slide went through the wall at the end and you'd slide out to the main walking area. I remember being a kid (early 1980s) and doing this. What was that place?
Tammy-Linn?

I thought it was the same people who did the Guy Madison's/The Madison Shop there. Here is an old Journal Record article from 2000 about the son who took them over.
Bnet.com - The Journal Record: Finding your life's work (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20000724/ai_n10139918/)

skyrick
08-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Did the Explorer have an enchilada, tamale, taco, rice & beans?

The Explorer was two enchis, rice and beans. $1.29 on Wednesdays. The Defeat, one enchi & one cheese taco w/no rice or beans, was $0.99 on Wednesdays. I hated Wednesdays.

OKCisOK4me
08-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Tammy-Linn?

I thought it was the same people who did the Guy Madison's/The Madison Shop there. Here is an old Journal Record article from 2000 about the son who took them over.
Bnet.com - The Journal Record: Finding your life's work (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20000724/ai_n10139918/)

I skimmed over the article and didn't see any mention of a slide. I wish it had pictures in the article of the old store. I have an image in my head but can't paint it, if ya know what I mean and my parents are so old they've probably forgotten the name of the store!

CarltonsKeeper
08-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I remember the menu at El Charrito's but not everything because
I always ordered the cheese enchiladas & iced tea. What was
the name of that?

Here are some of the names of the platters, I'm thinking
everything came with rice & beans.

The Defeat - wasn't that soft cheese tacos.

The Explorer -

The Village? or was that Monterrey House?

Laredo -

Nachos - a slice of cheddar and jalapeno on a chip.

What do you all remember?

The Laredo!

The Juarez Special!

The Jalisco!

Wasn't the Juarez Special an explorer plus a Meat Taco and a Guacamole salad????

village idiot
08-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I remember them having a "Boomer Sooner" on the menu. I asked the waiter one day why they didn't have a dish named for OSU and he replied: "senior we do. . .we call it The Defeat!

gen70
08-29-2010, 07:35 AM
i remember them having a "boomer sooner" on the menu. I asked the waiter one day why they didn't have a dish named for osu and he replied: "senior we do. . .we call it the defeat!

lol..lol..

Dood
11-07-2010, 09:50 AM
The restaurant you speak was called 'Lion's Share'. I worked at the one near to Grant Square bank on 44th and Western. I was a dishwasher.....almost every menu item included chili. Needless to say, dishwashing was a greasy job.

I also worked at the Del Rancho around the corner. (years ago there was a Griff's hamburger joint across the street...where the bank drive through is now). Anyway, at this Del Rancho, we stopped getting paid at 10pm and yet we had to stay later then that to clean up. I remember the managers name was Nadine. talk about a chain smoker....but she was likeable. She always called the owners 'Mr. and Mrs. '

MikeOKC
11-26-2010, 11:42 PM
This thread should be a book.

skyrick
11-27-2010, 07:52 AM
This thread should be a book.

This thread, and others like it in the Nostalgia and Memories Forum, are what got me started on OKC Talk. I googled C.R. Anthony's and Rothschilds to see whatever became of those stores, and this forum popped up in both searches. Sometimes when I wander into the political forums I want to abandon the whole site, but then someone will revive one of these threads and I'm hooked all over again.

USG'60
11-27-2010, 08:53 AM
This was the first thread I ever read and responded to, too. By now it would be a looong book, but, heck, with a little editing .......... I too can hardly look at the political thread as the people who are sweethearts on HERE are complete rear ends on THERE.

jmarkross
11-27-2010, 09:10 AM
This was the first thread I ever read and responded to, too. By now it would be a looong book, but, heck, with a little editing .......... I too can hardly look at the political thread as the people who are sweethearts on HERE are complete rear ends on THERE.

I see the droppings of many surviving multiple personalities around here...fascinating...

bella suzanne
02-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Sounds like you knew Jake Samara, I called him Mr. Samara. I was just a kid, tho. My Grandmother worked for him.

bella suzanne
02-05-2011, 01:32 PM
HI, Are you talking about Sussy's Italian? I was a young girl, my Grandmother worked there, her boss was Jake Samara. They has jukeboxes on the tables.
Dim lighting and candles on tables with cloth tablecloths , I think. Best pizza in the world !!!!!!

s00nergirl
05-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I graduated in 1977 from Southeast High School. I remember hanging out at skate-a-rama in junior high and walking to a little store in our neighborhood where $.25 would buy you 25 pieces of candy! I remember all thru high school we would cruise 59th street, we would eat lunch at Roy Rogers (YUMMY), Neptunes, McDonalds, A&W, Sonic and Jack in the Box and Winchell's Donuts in the morning. After football games everyone went to Crystals Pizza on SW 74th/Penn, Kips or Shotgun's Pizza. I remember my mom taking us to TG&Y for photos and I believe that is where I ordered my senior ring from. (They had everything--I guess they were the "Walmart" of the 60's-70's) I remember at 74th/Penn in 1977 at Sirlion Stockade when several were murdered inside the meat locker, then it changed to I think a Fuddruckers, but it didn't last very long. I remember the high school kids "parking" on Straka when it was nothing but a field! Does anyone remember the store on 74th/Shields? It was a couple different stores but I can't remember either one of them! I do remember when Crossroads opened and the prediction that it was going to "fall" (I guess being 2 levels!) I also remember going to Street's Dept Store at Redding shops on 44th/Western, I loved Street's clothes/shoes!!! Sure do miss those days!

Phoenix59
05-15-2011, 05:29 AM
I remember a big Woolco at 74th and Shields which was later a Venture store. Dunno what's there now.

Achilleslastand
05-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Anyone remember the old spartan dept stores back in the 70s and before. There was one on nw 4th and may ave and one over off of lincoln i believe

Prunepicker
05-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Anyone remember the old spartan dept stores back in the 70s and
before. There was one on nw 4th and may ave and one over off of
lincoln i believe
It's where Fox Lumber is. I don't know about the one on Lincoln.
If I remember the history, Atlantic Mills was first. There was one on
S.W. 29th and S. May Ave. Then came Spartan and I think they
merged and were called Spartan-Atlantic.

ctchandler
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Anyone remember the old spartan dept stores back in the 70s and before. There was one on nw 4th and may ave and one over off of lincoln i believe

The one on Lincoln was just South of Lincoln Plaza and the structure was either remodeled or razed and is currently share by Langston University and the Oklahoma County Election Board. Wasn't there one in South OKC also?
C. T.

ctchandler
05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
It's where Fox Lumber is. I don't know about the one on Lincoln.
If I remember the history, Atlantic Mills was first. There was one on
S.W. 29th and S. May Ave. Then came Spartan and I think they
merged and were called Spartan-Atlantic.
I just noticed your reply about South OKC.
C. T.

rondvu
05-17-2011, 12:02 PM
As a youngster my parents would shop at Spartan Atlantic. My sister's first bike came from Spartan along with out first green artificial Christmas tree. We upgraded from an aluminum pom pom. We would also shop at Gibson's. It was a great store as well. I was shopping there into my mid twenties. Would buy Christmas decorations there. I believe the Gibson's on SE 29th is now the home of Midwest Trophy. They used to have a brick wall out front with a wishing well near the entrance. The location on MacArthur is now a church. Hagee's was another great Oklahoma business that is no more.

Prunepicker
05-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Wasn't there one [Spartan] in South OKC also?
C. T.
I believe it was Spartan-Atlantic. The two merged but I'm not 100%
sure as to which came first. I think it was Atlantic Mills.

Prunepicker
05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
How about the Mr. Charles bowling ally on S.E. 29th. I remember
the roof caved in. Never got to go inside.

silvergrove
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Does anyone remember the name of that little mall that was on NW Expressway and Council? I just remember it had a few stores in it and it was very small.

Jim Kyle
02-13-2012, 09:02 PM
There were several there. One was on the NE corner of the intersection where CVS Drug is today; it was converted to the HQ and processing lab of "Glamour Shots" before being demolished to make way for CVS, Unfortunately I don't remember its name. The one on the NW corner was much larger and still exists, although its major anchor has closed its doors. Finally, there was one on Britton Road just east of Council, again still there but without many occupants...

Prunepicker
02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Does anyone remember the name of that little mall that was on NW
Expressway and Council? I just remember it had a few stores in it and
it was very small.
Like John Kyle said, on the N.E. corner was a small strip mall. On the
corner of that strip was a pizza shop. Don't remember the name.
They had a pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza that was tremendous.

Can't say that I remember the name of the center. I drive past that
intersection almost daily and don't remember a specific name. It was
rather upscale at the time, i.e. 1985 or so. The construction reminds
me of the Pepper Tree shopping center, same era, between Rockwell
and MacArthur and south side of the Expressway. Same color of brick,
curved corners, etc...

silvergrove
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Maybe it was that, I was only a little boy. All I remember was an outlet mall type or some sort of indoor mall in the northwest side of town. My aunt took me there a few times and she hates driving on highways so we took Rockwell north towards NW Expressway. As for location, I don't know...

This would have been late 80s or early 90s.

Pete
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about... It was a small, enclosed mall called Outlet Mall of America that was between NW Expressway and Britton Road (actually closer to Britton) and west of Council. There was another one right off of I-35 in Moore. They both only stayed open a few years then sat empty for a long time. They were early to mid 80's.

The one off of NW Expressway is now a part of the Express Personnel campus and is an event center:

http://www.expresseventcenter.com/

Cimmaron
05-19-2012, 05:51 PM
New at OKCTalk. I was born at St Anthony's in 1950, we lived at 1840 NE 25 and Hope's Driving Range was at the end of street on Eastern (MLK). We'd go to the Bison Theater or Pink Kitchen on 23rd, but a real treat was Triple AAA Root Beer at 13th & B'way. In 1956 we moved (white flight?) to NW 83rd, with TWO 10 for/$1 burger places at end of street on wast side of Western. Still a bar there today. We shopped at Corsin's Stop'N'Shop on Western, great fountain at Black Drug next door. Also shopped at Humpty Dumpty in Casady Sq, Puddin' Lane IGA on Britton where Johnnie's is now, Kimberlings on May & Grand (Firestone Store today) but my fave was Precure's in Britton because they had little chairs near door where kids could read comic books, even the new ones (Family Dollar now at 824 W Britton). We bought clothes at Browne Dept Store (NOT John A Brown) in Britton next to the Ritz and they had my Nichols Hills Rattlesnakes Y Jr Baseball T-Shirts. We's play the Harrison Hares, Britton Squirrels/Braves, Johnson Jaquars, Ridgeview Rams (our caps with a gold R), West Nichols Hills Wildcats, and then the new Sunset Sharks. I do remember games at Sequoyah, Fillmore, Putnam Heights but no memory of their names. Anyone have pics or names of those old Y-league teams/t-shirts? Pic of one of our teams attached, taken at our classy field at Grand Blvd Park in Nichols Hills. Alos will attach pic of Pink Kitchen as it looks today if I can. Also wanting to know if anyone remembers the address of the Black Brick. THANKS!.http://www.snapdrive.net/files/531840/rattlesnakes.jpg[http://www.snapdrive.net/files/531840/pink%20kitchen%20a.JPG

I was just thinking about "The Brick" and wondering where that place was located myself... Since 70's retro fashions complete with bellbottom jeans, etc. are back in fashion wouldn't it be great to go visit The Black Brick? Does anyone remember all the wonderful fashions available on and around 23rd and NW Classen? I -still- wish I could replace some earrings long lost...actually found same pair at a vintage store but someone decided to change them into two baby bracelets by changing out the pierced ear portions... Alas... By the way, hubbie and I -just- came from Johnnie's on NW Brittion Rd, where IGA used to be located. Anyone recall the little 'theatre' area for children to view films? I remember when they sold paper dresses, mini length of course. Saw one of those on Antiques Roadshow, and worth some bucks. Made me feel like an antique. Also saw 'my' toy china set at an Antique store in Guthrie...that was the first time 'my' stuff was considered an antique...and that was a few years ago. Vintage...thank you very much! : - D

biznesschic1959
05-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Yes. It was located around 48th and Lincoln. State offices and Langston University OKC is located there.