View Full Version : YMCA to occupy 2nd floor of Plaza Court (Midtown)

Pete
09-29-2007, 09:24 AM
YMCA is coming to MidTown, others could follow
By Steve Lackmeyer Business Writer
Steve Lackmeyer: 475-3230, slackmeyer@oklahoman.com

After aggressively courting local shops and restaurants to his MidTown Renaissance development, Greg Banta was giddy announcing his newest tenant — the YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City.

The deal calls for the YMCA to open a branch in the second floor of Banta’s Plaza Court Building by January — marking the first time in two decades the historic building has neared full occupancy.

“It’s great, just a great deal for the property and for the neighborhood,” Banta said. “It’s more people coming to MidTown.” Mike Grady, YMCA president, credited St. Anthony Hospital for sealing the deal.

Grady saw membership at the downtown branch double to 5,300 after it relocated to NW 5 and Broadway in 1999. The YMCA was considering whether to open a second downtown branch when it was approached earlier this year by St. Anthony Hospital. “Their interest was to promote a healthier work force,” Grady said. “We thought we would make good partners, and looked at how that might work.”

Banta, meanwhile, was busy renovating and reopening the Plaza Court Building, a MidTown landmark. Nearby he was creating a restaurant row along the 1000 block of N Walker, with housing planned for the Osler and Heritage buildings across from the Plaza Court. “This is a significant part of our overall plan,” Banta said. “With the types of tenants we’re getting, it all lends itself to a nice environment for housing. You can go outside, have breakfast, work out, grab lunch and then go out at night for a drink.”

Grady said the hospital’s involvement was key to completing the deal. The hospital is guaranteeing 250 memberships and will pay half of the membership costs for its 2,500 employees.

Joe Hodges, president of St. Anthony Hospital, said he likes the location because it’s across the street from the hospital’s growing campus.

“It’s important as a non profit community-based health organization that we need to improve the health of the community, and we must start at home with our employees,” Hodges said. “I think if we can get 250 employees in who are not working out now, I’m making an impact with my employees.”

Grady said the new YMCA will be similar to the current downtown branch, and will occupy 10,000 square feet. Grady estimated the branch will cost about $400,000.

The YMCA announcement follows the opening this week of 1492 New World Latin Cuisine at 1207 N Walker. Banta said plans are on track for openings later this year of Gaijin Sushi, to open next door to the Mexican restaurant, and for a Prairie Thunder bakery and James E. McNellies Public House on the first floor of the Plaza Court Building.

Conversions of the Osler and Heritage buildings into condominiums also are under way. A bridal shop owned by Meg Guess, meanwhile, is to be the first tenant at the Walker Shops, which was the former Reesers Eyewear Building at 1215 N Walker Ave.

The YMCA deal brings together the two forces that have separately bought dozens of properties in MidTown the past few years and have led in the area’s redevelopment.

“We have more announcements coming and deals pending,” Banta said. “This just goes to prove that with the restaurants, shops and now with the YMCA, that St. Anthony’s commitment to the area is real and our commitment to the area is real.”

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/09/29/22/Img/Pc0221100.jpg

Midtowner
09-29-2007, 09:29 AM
It'd better have some damn racquetball courts.

Pete
09-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I imagine it will be a pretty basic facility due to constraints of the building.

But, I think this is fantastic for the area. It really is turning into a true neighborhood with everything residents need within walking distance.

Midtowner
09-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah... I have a YMCA membership primarily due to their racquetball facilities. Unfortunately, to find one of the things, I have to either drive to NW OKC or Midwest City. Since they close so early, I'm not really able to keep up a consistent workout regimen there (I go to school in the evenings).

Ah well.. this one is *slightly* closer than the downtown facility.

metro
10-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Lackmeyer broke the news first with this story. Here is JR's response a few days later.

Banta, St. Anthony seal deal for OKC Midtown YMCA

October 2, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – The YMCA is coming to Oklahoma City’s Midtown. In Greg Banta’s mission to create a community feel for Midtown, he has brought restaurants, has housing planned, and through a joint effort has plans for the YMCA to open on the second floor of the Plaza Court building in January 2008.

Banta, president of the Banta Companies, teamed up with St. Anthony Hospital and the YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City for the project. Banta said he initially started visiting with Mike Grady, president of the YMCA, to look at the potential to open a branch in Midtown.

The Midtown YMCA will occupy 10,000 square feet on the top level of the two-story building.

The Plaza Court is already filling up with several eateries that are open or set to open in the coming months.

“That just goes into exactly what we’re looking for,” Banta said. “The YMCA was just a great addition to the Plaza.”

To help establish a membership base, St. Anthony will pay for half of all membership fees for its 2,500 employees.

The offer will extend to the Bone and Joint Hospital and Healthfirst Physician Management employees.

“This is our way of saying we believe in Midtown, so much so, that we’ll invest in its business and our employees at the same time,” said Joe Hodges, president of St. Anthony.

Banta said the YMCA will also benefit future residents of the area. In addition to other housing that has popped up, or is planned for the area, Banta has his sights on condos in the existing Osler and Heritage buildings near the Plaza Court at NW 11th Street and Walker Avenue. Both buildings are scheduled to be available sometime next year.

The next closest YMCA is the downtown branch, which opened at 1 NW Fourth Street in 1999 after the old downtown YMCA building was damaged and later torn down after the Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995.The Downtown YMCA will be signing up members for the Midtown branch.“I think we’re making a pretty big impact in Midtown,” Banta said. “I think its great we all got together to make it happen.”

trison
10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
This got good coverage on Fox 25 and Channel 9 news. I think Mid-Town is going to be wonderful for the city.

HOT ROD
10-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Definitely, hopefully AAlley will really start to pick up as well.

Pete
10-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Here's a video posted on newsok.com:

NewsOK Media Center (http://www.newsok.com/video/brightcove/?bctid=1213867786&bclid=1111461627)

Says they hope to open by the end of the year!

metro
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Looks like the YMCA in MidTown is scheduled to open next month. The floorplan is below.

http://www.ymcaokc.org/images/mid_floorplan.jpg

http://www.ymcaokc.org/images/img_midtown.jpg

tuck
01-10-2008, 05:43 AM
It will be interesting to see how everyone reacts to the parking situation after the YMCA and McNellie's opens. The surrounding streets will be full. I'm OK with it, but most won't be, IPO.

metro
01-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Good point tuck! It's already packed completely during the busy hours and only Irma's and Subway is open. Imagine when all the tenants are in! Looks like St. Anthony's parking lot might be open up by the end of the month, but I wonder if the public will be allowed to park there and walk over? I know Saints is a big supporter of the new YMCA. Midtown really does need a parking garage in that general area.

mecarr
01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Speaking of the other tenants in plaza court, when is that Prarie Thunderbird Baking place opening up? I remember walking by there in September and they looked like they were completely done. What's the holdup?

metro
01-10-2008, 09:32 AM
mecarr, if you read the thread on Prarie Thunder (I think it's called Midtown Update), then you will see they have been waiting on their ovens from Europe. The main one has arrived and an installer from Europe is supposed to be here later this month to install it and instruct on how to use it. One of the smaller ovens should be here next month and again the same process. I think there third oven will be here later in the spring. I do believe they plan on opening up after they are geared up with the first larger oven. The expected opening is sometime in February. Oh and the name of the place is called Prarie Thunder Bakery.

trison
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
A lot of people don't realize but there is parking on the upper level of Plaza Court. I think they have been keeping this blocked off for the YMCA. Also, I noticed that there is another large parking lot just east of Cafe Do Brasil that states it is for Plaza Court parking.

Pete
01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm sure a lot of the Saint Anthony people will just walk over to the new Y.

Between Prarie Thunder and McNellie's, I've never seen two businesses take longer to get open in my life.

trison
01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
While I was at lunch I noticed that they were delivering workout equipment today. Appears that they will be opening soon. Also peered in the window of Praire Thunder and appeared that they were installing one of the ovens.

mecarr
01-22-2008, 10:38 PM
While I was at lunch I noticed that they were delivering workout equipment today. Appears that they will be opening soon. Also peered in the window of Praire Thunder and appeared that they were installing one of the ovens.

Great news. I've been looking forward to the Prarie Thunder restaurant opening. It must be frustrating for them that they were ready to open way back in late summer but just didn't have the right oven in place.

mecarr
01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
I saw a flyer today that the YMCA is having an "open house" tomorrow (friday). I am not sure of the hours, other than that you can go in the afternoon. I think cookies will be served.

mecarr
01-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Did anyone go to their open house today?

solitude
01-26-2008, 02:02 AM
I wonder what their fees will be like? I haven't checked for years, but I remember not that long ago when they caught a lot of slack for turning the downtown YMCA into a luxury gym for executives who work downtown, with super-high membership fees to match. Hardly the mission of the 'Y'.

trison
01-26-2008, 01:08 PM
The space looked great with all new equipment. I think membership fees are the same for all of the locations in the city. I may be wrong but I know if you have a membership you can go to any of the different locations.

solitude
01-26-2008, 01:58 PM
The space looked great with all new equipment. I think membership fees are the same for all of the locations in the city. I may be wrong but I know if you have a membership you can go to any of the different locations.

You are right. I just found out they went through a period of so-called "Gold locations" or something of the sort that incurred extra fees. I was told this was in the late 80's. The fee now includes all locations in Oklahoma City.

This new location will be a boon to MidTown which is already experiencing so many good things.

metro
01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, according to their website (I looked at it last week). During January all metro locations are offering half off initiation fees which would be $35 and a single membership is $38.00 and I think the family membership was $55 and a membership gets you into any metro area Y. I'll probably be joining the new MidTown YMCA although I want to tour the much pricier Park Harvey Athletic Club first. I also got a postcard in the mail last week from Chesapeake Boathouse and they are now offering gym memberships for $30.

trison
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
The YMCA is open at Plaza Court. It really looks nice.

metro
02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Wow, I'll have to get over there in the next day or two and take a tour (try to take my camera). I plan on joining here or a downtown gym in the next few weeks.

jbrown84
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I got a flyer in the mail about Chesapeake Boathouse membership. For only $30 a month you get free weights, cardio, rowing machines, rowing lessons, free bike rental, yoga classes, and a bunch of other stuff. I thought that was a steal.

metro
02-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Me too jbrown. I posted about it last week back on page 1. I may consider it as well.

trison
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I think Plaza Court is a whole lot more convenient plus you have the benefit of using any of the Y's facilities around town.

jbrown84
02-06-2008, 09:20 AM
But how much is it?

metro
02-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Again, I think the "Y" is about $38 for a single person and $58 for a family if I remember right. If you go to their website, it will tell you.

OKC YMCA: Rates (http://www.ymcaokc.org/rates.html)

metro
02-07-2008, 08:21 AM
I drove by last night and took pictures. I'll try and post them tonight. I'll also post new pics of downtown construction projects.

eataroundokc.com
02-11-2008, 05:29 AM
I worked out at the MidTown YMCA yesterday afternoon and this morning. It is AWESOME!! It's not huge, but it's got a full room of freeweights, plus machine-weights, treadmills and ellipticals. It's actually bigger than I thought it would be considering they only occupy half of the second floor up there. There is a large aerobics room so they will likely be starting some group classes. The aerobics room is one the end of the building so the windows wrap all around it. Beautiful. They told me they are considering whether or not to offer childcare, but most likely will once the demand is there (they have another room ready for it if they need it).

All of the equipment is brand new and top of the line. 6 flat panel TVs line the wall in front of the aerobic equipment. The locker rooms are small, but very nice. This small little gym has the feel of a corporate gym. What an awesome location.

Parking is not a problem as there is a second floor lot which is actually closer to the Y than parking lower floor.

The YMCA continues to lead this city with value. The family membership for all members of your family is less than $60/month and with the downtown facility nearby for full service courts and swimming and now this smaller place within walking distance of my house, I couldn't be happier. I can't wait for warmer weather so I can just jog down to it.

Oh, and they are also opening at 5am in midtown, 30 minutes earlier than the downtown location for those of us who like to get an early start. Now I can workout and still get to the cafe by 6am to get some work done before hitting the office at 8am. Brilliant.

jbrown84
02-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Where do you enter from the ground floor?

eataroundokc.com
02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Where do you enter from the ground floor?

There is a sign on the building, right about in the middle. The sign is over a staircase that leads up to the 2nd floor entrance.