View Full Version : Stooges Comedy Club opening in Bricktown

metro
09-28-2007, 08:06 AM
I know there has been unofficial talk on here about a comedy club coming to Bricktown. I saw an ad in the newest Gazette today.

Stooges Comedy Club
64 N. Oklahoma

Grand Opening Friday, Oct. 12th

Dueling Piano's and National Headliner Comedians
Every Friday and Saturday Night 7pm & 9pm
Smoke Free shows are Friday at 7pm
405-232-6463

This should be a great addition to Bricktown and give another much needed entertainment option.

kevinpate
09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Nice. Joker's was once the main reason I went to BT. Hope this new place succeeds in a big way

Jack Wonder
09-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Interesting. I think OKC is finally mature enough to support a comedy club, but we'll see.

Intrepid
09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I went to The Looney Bin a few weeks ago and enjoyed the show. It was a light crowd, but only because it was a Sunday show. I'd definitely go back, but wish it was located elsewhere, besides a shopping center.

rugbybrado
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
For me the looney bin is located about 30 minutes away from me with light traffic, i think a place in bricktown would be much more accesiable for the whole city.

metro
09-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Interesting. I think OKC is finally mature enough to support a comedy club, but we'll see.

What do you mean, Looney Bin has been around for awhile now.

Pete
09-28-2007, 02:26 PM
They will have dueling pianos too?

Remember, Pete's has already announced they will be bring that concept to Bricktown:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/10931-petes-piano-bar.html?highlight=pianos

jbrown84
09-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Which building is it in?

teacher girl
09-28-2007, 03:01 PM
i love dueling piano bars! we LOVED going to Pete's when we lived in fort worth!!

Easy180
09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
That would make it three places with dueling pianos in Bricktown

Dueling piano craze finally makes it down to Okieville

metro
09-28-2007, 09:55 PM
That would make it three places with dueling pianos in Bricktown

Dueling piano craze finally makes it down to Okieville

3 places? Are you sure? It would be just this place and Pete's when it opens. If you're thinking of City Walk's piano bar, that is not dueling piano's, that is just one piano.

Easy180
09-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Two dudes sitting on opposite ends of a piano singing all the standard dirty dueling piano songs doesn't qualify?

I'm hoping you aren't saying that since they are technically playing on one customized piano with two separate sets of keyboards one can't consider it a dueling piano bar or something lame like that metro

Easy180
09-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Spotted this line describing the guys in Citywalk

Stooges Piano Bar, where classic entertainment and dueling pianos can be found

Judging from the name I'm guessing the Citywalk owners and the dueling dudes have a hand in this

PUGalicious
09-29-2007, 07:49 AM
3 places? Are you sure? It would be just this place and Pete's when it opens. If you're thinking of City Walk's piano bar, that is not dueling piano's, that is just one piano.
Easy's right. Metro, you obviously haven't been inside CityWalk's piano bar or inexplicably didn't notice the two baby grand pianos facing each other with two guys playing each piano at the same time. The only thing I'm not sure of is if they are really "dueling" since they are playing in harmony most of the time.

Easy, have you heard them play the "Cat" song with a young bachelorette sitting on one of the pianos?

Easy180
09-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Easy's right. Metro, you obviously haven't been inside CityWalk's piano bar or inexplicably didn't notice the two baby grand pianos facing each other with two guys playing each piano at the same time. The only thing I'm not sure of is if they are really "dueling" since they are playing in harmony most of the time.

Easy, have you heard them play the "Cat" song with a young bachelorette sitting on one of the pianos?

Yeah I have...Pretty funny stuff...Those guys aren't the best I've ever seen, but they do a pretty good job for those of us too old to hang out in the other parts of Citywalk :053:

Andy1807
09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm excited. I'd love to see a comedy club that could actually bring some headliners in every once in a while.

PUGalicious
09-30-2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah I have...Pretty funny stuff...Those guys aren't the best I've ever seen, but they do a pretty good job for those of us too old to hang out in the other parts of Citywalk :053:
I hear ya, man... I hear ya. My wife and I are usually the first people there and leave much earlier than the rest of the younger crowd.

Intrepid
09-30-2007, 09:26 AM
I remember going to "Bricktown Keys on The Canal" in 2001. The two dueling players were outstanding and very funny. The two times we went, there were a lot of people.

Unfortunately, that place did not last long, even though it was voted as the Best New Nightclub in the Gazette.

PUGalicious
09-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I think those two players may be the same players that now play at Stooges. It seems like when we talked to them one day before the show that they said they had been in Bricktown previously at a place that went out of business. According to them, it was business (mis)management, not (lack of) popularity, that forced the old nightclub to close.

In any case, the guys at Stooges are pretty entertaining. We always go there when we're spending a "night on the town" in Bricktown.

kmf563
10-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Actually, they don't even have pianos in citywalk anymore. They stopped that a while back. Now it's cityrock where live bands play. Like last night, it was Aranda. And on sunday nights the rest of the place isn't open so you can go in the side door straight into cityrock. Piano bars just don't hold in this town so, I hope they have more ideas on how to bring business on their slow comedy nights.

PUGalicious
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Really? The City Walk website still lists Stooges and its dueling pianos in addition to City Rock.

CityWalk In Bricktown Offers Nightlife Entertainment For The Entire Oklahoma City Metro Area! (http://high.citybrickwalk.com/index.php)

kmf563
10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
But isn't that the place we are talking about opening up? Stooges. So maybe they are bringing the pianos back this way.

Jack Wonder
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
What do you mean, Looney Bin has been around for awhile now.

I know. But I work nearby LB, live relatively close, and still I NEVER hear anything regarding it. No big-name draws, mid-sized, or otherwise.

I'm not putting it down or anything, but it could stand to have a little stronger marketing.

And I never hear anyone talking about it either.

Joeldavidd
10-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Stooges is located beneath Citywalk, which owns almost that entire block. I believe it's in the basement bar that used to be the downstairs VIP area in Citywalk.

lpecan
10-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Did anyone go to the opening show this weekend? Does anyone know how much it costs? By the way, it is located in the hallway right next to uncommon grounds. I assume its owned by whoever owns citywalk, as they both use the "located in the heart of bricktown" tagline.

Nixon7
11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Anyone know the costs?

murphystone
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Stooges is located in the basement of the old Mideke Supply Building.
Not sure who owns it.
Has anyone heard anything about an Antique Mall coming to one of the upper floors of the old building?I remember the good old days when the Antique mall was such a fun place to find treasures

jbrown84
11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I noticed they had Jay London coming to Stooges. He was on Last Comic Standing a couple seasons ago. It's certainly the biggest name I've ever seen in an OKC comedy club.

CMSturgeon
11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Let Me Guess........... 21 To Enter?!

CMSturgeon
11-30-2007, 09:05 AM
And I'm guessing 21 to enter...?

Intrepid
11-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Stooges Comedy Club & Piano Bar :: Welcome (http://www.stoogescomedy.com/)

Intrepid
11-30-2007, 07:46 PM
And I'm guessing 21 to enter...?

Unfortunately, that info is not on their web site.

Stan Silliman
12-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm curious if anybody has been there, to the Stooges.

The Loony Bin has been open since 2002, is very well run, is part of a chain of four clubs and has had many of the top headliners making today's circuit - Dave Atell, Steve McGrew, The Chinaman, Tom Rhodes, Kenny Rogerson, Michael Mack, Todd Yohn.

Stooges is only a weekend club so it's hard to imagine that unless they're charging a heavy ticket price and seat a bunch of people how they can afford
to pay top headliners for only few shows a week.

Back in the early nineties Bricktown was overrun with Comedy Clubs and I worked at all of them -- Laughs, Piggy's, Comedy Corner and Jokers. It finally shrunk down to the Comedy Corner, run by Shirley Bynum, who eventually leased her place to Jokers.

lpecan
12-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm going to make an effort to go this weekend. I think they are hurt by the fact that they do not advertise prices, do not tell you on the phone recording and never seem to answer the phone. I've almost gone like five times, but I can never get a hold of them.

lpecan
01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
By the way, I went last weekend. It was a great time with two good comics. Definitely better than I expected. Also, it was only 15 dollars. Of course, like everything in OKC, use it or lose it! The place was 60% empty!