Address: 1207 N Walker
Phone: (405) 236-1492
Hours: Mon - Thu: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Links:
Official Website (http://1492okc.com/)
Menu (http://1492okc.com/full-menu/)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/1492-New-World-Latin-Cuisine/130680286046?fref=ts)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/1492-new-world-latin-cuisine-oklahoma-city)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/662690/restaurant/Midtown/1492-New-World-Latin-Cuisine-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/1492wiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

jbrown84
09-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Any hints of the menu for us?

trison
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Lot's of appetizers. Basic Tex/Mex. Lot's of speciality dishes like roasted duck enchiladas. Their menu reminded me of Ted's on steriods. All of the basic items but with a flair and a lot of unique dishes. I wasn't sure what a lot of the items were but when the chef explained them to me I was really impressed. I think this is going to go over big. This is definitely not your typical Mexican Food place. The decor was really nice and was a definite upgrade from what you normally see.

jbkrems
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Do they have a website?

John
09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
This is definitely not your typical Mexican Food place.

...hence the Latin/Fusion tag.

mecarr
09-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I walked into the 1492 restaurant at 1207 N. Walker and they told me that they plan to open for business next week. I got to check out the menu and after looking at it I got so hungry that I had to go to lunch immediately. I think this is going to be a great addition to the area and to Banta's Midtown Renaissance.

I've been looking forward to seeing this restaurant open up. It is interesting that they have had the silverware and napkins set out on the table for the past month but will only be opening up next week. Regardless, the menu sounds delicious and the inside of it looks very nice.

Do you remember what the prices were like?

trison
09-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I thought the prices were good. Less than Ted's....more in line with Chelino's but better selection of food.

metro
09-22-2007, 10:49 PM
mecarr, the reason they took so long was that they were waiting for the city to finish up utility and streetscape work in the area. 1492 has been good to go for awhile now as you have mentioned.

redcup
09-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I walked into the 1492 restaurant at 1207 N. Walker and they told me that they plan to open for business next week. I got to check out the menu and after looking at it I got so hungry that I had to go to lunch immediately. I think this is going to be a great addition to the area and to Banta's Midtown Renaissance.

My Wed. night dinner group might like to check this out. Are they open evenings??
Thanks for the headsup!

:sofa:

metro
09-24-2007, 07:39 AM
redcup, it's the type of place that will probably only be open in evenings.

trison
09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
1492 is officially open. They are serving lunch and dinner starting today. I went to their soft opening on Saturday and the food was outstanding. Be careful with the frozen mojito's. They are unbelievably good but hit you when your not expecting it. I'm just now starting to feel my legs again. I strongly recommend this restaurant. I don't think you will be disappointed.

betts
09-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I went for lunch today. The decor is very nice and understated. I had the duck enchilladas and don't remember their name. They were amazing. It might be the best dish I've ever had in that genre. My daughter had the Pollo Azteca, which was basically chicken covered in white cheese and green onion. She said it was OK, but nothing special. We couldn't decide what we thought about the queso, which was the standard chile con carne (there was one that sounded really interesting, with peppers, sour cream, beans and meat in it, but it sounded like a whole meal). It looked like melted Velveeta, and almost tasted like it, but there was something extra that made it good, although I had the vague idea that I shouldn't be liking something that had that much of a Kraft undertone. My daughter said the black beans were quite good, and the rice was delicious. I'll be going back to try some of the other interesting things on the menu, if I can talk myself out of having the duck enchiladas again. Now I may need a nap.

Misty
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I was really excited about trying this place until I saw the word Velveeta....anyone else been there yet?

metro
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Misty, if you look she said there was something extra that made it good. Even though I haven't got around to eating there yet, I can assure you the owners of this place wouldn't use Velveta. These are the same owners of New World Cuisine in Edmond (very nice eclectic food, often with a Latin fusion). I've tasted nothing but amazing things from New World and expect the same with their new concept.

tuck
09-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Metro, are you sure these are the same guys from New World Cuisine in Edmond? I know the Edmond store has closed, but I don't think the 1492 group is connected at all. In their Velveeta defense, about 99% of all mexican (tex-mex) restaurants use either Velveeta or a product called Golden Velvet for their queso. Not just in OKC, but everywhere.

trison
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Different people own 1492. Arturo and Marco Chavez are the owners. This is their first restaurant. They do come from a long line of restaurantors from Dallas. As far as the queso it is not velveeta. I asked them at lunch and they said they make it fresh each day from 3 different types of cheese.

BDP
09-26-2007, 10:08 AM
I drove by yesterday and it looks very cool. I am getting really excited about this area. Looks like they are working on the buildings surrounding 1492, as well. This area could by like Western, but even cooler as it would be older, more dense, and have more variety within walking distance. I hope it works out that way.

In defense of velveeta, I believe that's what makes Johnnie's cheeseburgers so good. ;)

tuck
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I drove by yesterday and it looks very cool. I am getting really excited about this area. Looks like they are working on the buildings surrounding 1492, as well. This area could by like Western, but even cooler as it would be older, more dense, and have more variety within walking distance. I hope it works out that way.

In defense of velveeta, I believe that's what makes Johnnie's cheeseburgers so good. ;)

Johnnies uses Kraft shredded american cheese

betts
09-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Glad to hear it's not Velveeta, as based on everything else I had there, it seemed as if it would not be. As I said, the queso is good, it's just got a thicker, oranger look to it, and a sweeter taste than I'm used to around here. I didn't really mean for that to be the focus of my report, as my meal was excellent.

metro
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
yes BDP, one of the buildings is going to be Gaijin? sushi restaurant. I forget what the other one is going to be.

tuck
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Ive heard a wine bar will be taking one of the spots.

BDP
09-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Johnnies uses Kraft shredded american cheese

Doh! My bad.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Dined at 1492 late last night, and it seems to be off to a good start. They are open until 10PM week days and 11PM friday and saturday . . . good spot for a drink after the movie or theater downtown. Sunday brunch also. As with any new restaurant, it has a long way to go, but the place has a good restaurant feel to it . . . good menu . . . good decor . . . good location . . . etc. Our meal included tortilla soup which was a tiny bit on the salty side . . . just a tiny bit . . . but the chef provided a solid explaination to the cause and agreed with our assesment. The Varacruz Red Snapper I had was very good . . . moist & tasty . . . the grilled vegetables on the plate were nicely done as well but not presented to their best advantage. The duck enchilada plate . . . three enchiladas . . . way more than any normal human could consume . . . was very rich and tasty as well. our only critisim of that dish was an excessive amount of the sour cream and ???? topping. The wine selection is a short unprinted list now and hopefully that will be expanded soon. The wine glasses were the appropriate shape and the pour very generous . . . perhaps too generous (he slured as he staggered to his car) as I still had some wine drinking to do after I finished my meal. The bar layout is good and the wide open glass facades on the east and south offer really good city views. All in all, they're off to a good start and I look forward to dining there on a regular basis.

One of the two buildings to the north of 1492 will be a bridal shop and the other a wine bar or restaurant I believe. Gijin Sushi will occupy the building with the interesting tall round entrance next door on the south of 1492.

Midtown rocks.

metro
09-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Well my wife and I finally got to eat here last night. The ambiance and the view of the heart of Midtown is nice. I was a little disappointed with the menu, but all in all it was ok. They only had about 2 dishes or so that stuck out from your average Mexican restaurant. One was the duck enchiladas and the other was a mole' dish. Everything else was similar to other restaurants and I was expecting more fusion dishes.

They have complimentary chips and salsa. The chips are good and tasted fresh. The salsa is watered down and really really spicy (and I like spicy) but it was too hot for me even. I ordered the Tres something that included a cheese taco, a cheese enchilada and a beef taco. I must say they were excellent. The queso is velveeta like in texture as others have mentioned, however it was much better than velveeta. You could definitely tell it was thick mexican cheeses. It probably catches most people off guard since most mexican places literally put water in their cheese to water it down and thin it out. I would say their traditional mexican items are better than most places (tacos, enchiladas, etc.). Some of their plates are a little pricier than I'd expect, but all in all not much different than say Chelino's. My wife had a mango coconut chicken with rice and it was okay. She said it was okay but I thought it was a little overcooked and dry. We finished off our meal with "fried icecream". I must say I was a little disappointed with it as well. It wasn't true fried icecream. Basically it was premade and frozen. They scooped the icecream and rolled it in crushed corn flakes and cinnamon sugar and then froze it. When we ordered it, I'm guessing all they did was add the carmel and chocolate sauce as well as some strawberries. The icecream was really hard and you could barely even get it on to your spoon. Most fried icecream I've had was served fresh and the outside crust was hot, thus the inside of the icecream was a little melty.

Average dish price is approximately $15, some more and some less. Their lunch prices are $8. Most dishes are not served with rice and beans. I will definitely go back to support Midtown and I love the fact it is blocks from my home and work so I could walk or ride my bike.

1492okc.com (http://www.1492okc.com/)

jbkrems
09-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I also dined at 1492 earlier this evening, and yes, it IS off to a very good start. I had the roasted duck enchiladas, and although I did not express this vocally, it was not seasoned enough and was a bit bland. I did not think they were rich and tasty. However, I had probably the best tres leches cake I've had anywhere for dessert, and it was great, with a lot of fruit in the topping and as a garnish around the plate (sliced strawberries, pineapple, and mango). Normally tres leches cake is not like this, i.e. served with fruit, but this time it was, and it was good. They need to change that when summer really ends next month, and drizze it with chocolate and caramel or something for fall/winter. Otherwise, I was very impressed, I met at least one of their managers, and it was just overall VERY GOOD. I also can't wait for the wine bar that will open next door as well.

jbkrems
09-28-2007, 07:47 PM
I dined at 1492 earlier this evening, and yes, it IS off to a very good start. I had the roasted duck enchiladas, and although I did not express this vocally, it was not seasoned enough and was a bit bland. I did not think they were rich and tasty. However, I had probably the best tres leches cake I've had anywhere for dessert, and it was great, with a lot of fruit in the topping and as a garnish around the plate (sliced strawberries, pineapple, and mango). Normally tres leches cake is not like this, i.e. served with fruit, but this time it was, and it was good. They need to change that when summer really ends next month, and drizze it with chocolate and caramel or something for fall/winter. Otherwise, I was very impressed, I met at least one of their managers, and it was just overall VERY GOOD. I also can't wait for the wine bar that will open next door as well.

metro
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Please feel free to post food reviews in the 1492 thread in the Food Court food review section of this website.

mecarr
09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
I ate there last night. I ordered the dunk enchiladas. I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the enchilladas. The cheese on the enchiladas was a bit bland, and there just didnt' seem to be much taste with the meal. My wife ordered the chicken with mango sauce. I thought it was pretty good, better than what I had ordered. The cocunut rice was nice as well.

Beware of the salsa, it is very very spicy. I like spicy things, but in my opinion it was a bit too spicey. After ordering an appetizer, two beers, and two entrees, our total, including tip and taxes came to $57.

trison
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Attached is a rendering of the new 1492.

trison
10-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Attached are renderings of the new sushi bar and wine bar that will be on either side of 1492. I think this is going to be a really neat area when everything is open.

jbrown84
10-02-2007, 08:12 AM
to the tune of Fall Out Boy:

"thanks for the renderings, thanks for the renderings..."

lkberry1
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Isn't 1492 supposed to be "Latin Cuisine"? What's up with all the same ole Mexican food on their menu?

Midtowner
10-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Why ride your bike? They have valet parking :)

Rifleman2C
10-02-2007, 01:43 PM
For those of us that are currently out of the 'know' because we live elsewhere... where exactly is 1492? And more importantly, when will the wine bar open up next door to 1492? I only ask because I will be in OKC next week... and not surprisingly, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about!

bandnerd
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
It's near 10th and Walker, on Walker...just north of Brown's Bakery. It's in a small building, and you'll see the valet guys out front.

BoulderSooner
10-05-2007, 08:39 PM
For those of us that are currently out of the 'know' because we live elsewhere... where exactly is 1492? And more importantly, when will the wine bar open up next door to 1492? I only ask because I will be in OKC next week... and not surprisingly, I'd like to see what all the fuss is about!

the wine bar and on the other side the sushi place open before thanksgiving .. so they say ... both have a long way to go

FritterGirl
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Just got back from lunch at 1492. All I can say at this point is "ehh..."

Here are my first impressions:

Valet (imo) totally unnecessary. Unless you are really a valet snob, or are unable to park and walk, I suppose it's nice. I don't fit either category so prefer to park myself.

Service - nice. Attentive, but not overly so. It was 3/4 to capacity, and lunch service was fine. Our server seemed a bit on the aloof side, but I think that was just a personality issue. He came to our table quickly, answered necessary questions and our food was brought out in a timely manner.

Menu - The specialities certainly seemed to fit the bill of "New Latin Cuisine." The Tex-Mex lunch offerings seemed to be the same old Tex-Mex fare we've grown accustomed to in OKC, and were, frankly disappointing. I guess they are easy and quick to make so they can get people in and out quickly.

As I was neither willing to fork out $20+ for my lunch (assuming a $15 meal, plus drink, tax, tip), nor interested in their general lunch offerings, I went with the no-risk "Business Executive" chicken Fajitas.

Mostly, they were your standard fajita fare. Tortillas not the best I've ever had, but they did (either by accident or on purpose, I don't know) keep the veggies nice and crispy, as if they had been freshly sauteed and not pre-cooked and seeping in oil all day. The green peppers still had a very fresh taste and just enouch "snap" to them. I hate mushy green peppers and these were definitely fresh, which added to the overall good taste of the dish. My grade: C+/B-

My work colleague got the #3 (1 beef taco, 1 cheese enchilada and 1 mystery chili enchilada). She finished the taco and said it was quite good. She couldn't get through the 2 enchiladas; said the cheese enchi was too cheesy and the "beef" enchilada with chili sauce tasted more like a coney than an enchilada. Overall: C-

I might give it another go if I am really jonesing for some Mexican, and I certainly will want to go back just so I can try some of their dinner offerings. For lunch, though, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed, mainly because they are not living up to how they market themselves as "new latin cuisine."

metro
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
ParksGal, I ate lunch their today as well. Perhaps we saw each other and didn't even know it. Anyhow, I totally agree with you on the valet. It's a waste of their money which they pass on to you by higher food prices, etc. It would be a nice service for perhaps Saturday nights or special occassions, but for lunch and most nights it is totally unnecessary. Encouraging more people to drive so they can "valet" is not very urban in a district that despirately needs more foot and bike traffic.

I agree service is good, but our server seemed aloof as well. He was nice though. As I've said above, I agree with you it's way more Tex Mex than Latin Fusion. I do like the fact almost no dishes come with rice and beans since I don't eat them anyways. I do think their food is slightly better than most TexMex joints around, but nothing outstanding. I ordered the #4 lunch special. One cheese enchilada, one chicken enchilada, and a beef taco. I finished it off with a Mexican Tres Leches cake. It was outstanding and topped with fresh pineapple and strawberries.

I did mention to our waiter that myself and my business colleague thought the salsa was wayyyyy to spicy. My wife and I also thought so the other night. The waiter didn't seem to care and probably didn't tell the management. I also think it is way to watered down. It tastes like super spicy water.

flintysooner
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I went to lunch there today with 2 associates. We were pretty late. I liked the valet parking especially since you can't park in the lot next to it - the one with the guard. We all liked the salsa and food. The salsa was hot but tasted freshly made to me - actually thought it was quite good. Our servers were prompt, courteous, and competent. And we struck up a conversation with our main server.

A little nostalgic as I remember my parents' doctor had an office in the Osler building and my childhood pediatrician was across the street in the low building north of Osler. And we used to have prescriptions filled in the pharmacy that I think was in the building were 1492 is.

Nice to see the area doing well actually. It is a little far for me but we'll probably return.

Turanacus
10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I went to 1492 on Saturday. I wanted to see if they'd valet park my bicycle. They did and I was very appreciative. I didn't get to eat but enjoyed the valet.

Rifleman2C
10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I went to 1492 on Saturday. I wanted to see if they'd valet park my bicycle. They did and I was very appreciative. I didn't get to eat but enjoyed the valet.

You didn't get to eat? Hopefully, the drinks were good... :biggrin:

So, I'm getting the idea that the food is average to better than average, and the desserts are good to very good. But I'll be honest, I don't see 'Latin Fusion' in what has been discussed here. I guess I'll just have to wander down and see what is what!

Millie
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I ate there tonight. I didn't really see the "Latin Fusion"- more like tex-mex and Mexican.
The queso was okay, but had too muich going on (beans, guac, sour cream, some kind of chili stuff, etc.). Best comparison for flavor I can think of is that it is kind of like the queso at Chili's, but not exactly.
The chips were very good. The salsa was very good- excellent flavor and was the best part of the meal.
The tortillas are okay- they didn't taste very fresh and weren't too special.
I had the shrimp and bacon tacos. They were good to above average. The person with me had some kind of chicken enchiladas. I had a bite- they were dry and the chicken was bland. You could tell the chicken was very good quality, though.
The service was good, but my waiter had the demeanor of a person who was serving over-priced, not very good food- he phrased things carefully so as not to invite complaints, and he did not really offer any recommendations when we asked.
For dessert I had the flan- it was gummy and kind of lukewarm.
If the place is still in business in three months (a big if, given the fact that I saw two people sending their food back because they didn't like it, and given the comments of the people at the table next to mine), I may go back to see if things have improved.

CCOKC
10-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I went to 1492 on Friday night and I can say I was pretty disappointed as well. The service was not that great. I am a vegetarian and asked the server for recommendations and all he could come up with was nachos. With all of the interesting looking items on the specialty menu, I am sure they could have come up with something better than nachos. It was a pretty restaurant but it was way too loud. Not sure what they can do about that though. I hope they can get it together because it could be a great asset to midtown. I think I would have preferred to go to the Boulevard and had a piece of icebox pie.

metro
10-10-2007, 07:28 AM

That's freaking awesome! Valeting your bicycle. Classic!

and CC, you figure for vegetarian options he could have at least recommended cheese enchiladas or the cheese tacos.

CCOKC
10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
That's what I ended up getting but looking at the grilled veggies and mushrooms that were in some of the other dishes I thought I might be able to get something different than what I can get better and cheaper at Los Mariachis. I live close enough to Los Mariachis to ride my bike but they would not valet it for sure so I guess 1492 is better in that respect.

mecarr
10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
If the place is still in business in three months (a big if, given the fact that I saw two people sending their food back because they didn't like it, and given the comments of the people at the table next to mine), I may go back to see if things have improved.

I ate there too and was disappointed. However, everytime I drive by there it is packed so I expect it will do well. The essential problem I had with it was that the food just tasted too bland.

eataroundokc.com
10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
I ate here on the day it opened at lunch. Looked at the dinner options and they sort of looked interesting, but I didn't want to spend that much for lunch, so I tried their lunch specials. The lunch specials were not very good. It was like "burrito," "enchilada" -- those were the choices. Extremely basic. The guy I was with got "three chalupas" which basically amounted to three little shells once with cheese sauce in it, one with guacamole in it, and one with beans in it. That was it. That was the "lunch special" and it was $8. I looked like something you would dip chips in.

Anyway, I tried not to judge it too harshly since it was their first day and I was having lunch and not dinner. Would like to go back. It's very close to my house and I hope they do well for that area.

Misty
12-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I finally tried 1492 for lunch today. Based on some of the other reviews I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. I saw no signs of "latin fusion", looks like tex mex to me which is fine. I have disliked most of the tex mex in OKC I've tried and this was one of the first places that I thought was decent. Not as good as what I'm used to in Austin, but for what OKC has to offer it was good. Many people commented on the salsa being hot in the other reviews, my thoughts were that it had a little heat compared to what the other places serve, but was no where near what I would consider HOT. So, not the best tex mex I've ever had but pretty good for what OKC has to offer. The waiter was awesome and the place is cute, also can't beat the location. Having true professional waiters/waitresses is important to me, it really "completes" any dining experience. It was nice to have linens and professional waiters for an $8 lunch, that was nice and unexpected. Thank GOD they don't serve that disgusting cream-gravy-consistency "queso" that all the other places in town serve. I hate that stuff!

escan
12-06-2007, 01:15 PM
We stopped for Happy Hour the other day...it WAS Saturday , but they still gave us HH pricing...GREAT service! :) We drank a couple of the frozen mojitos (wonderful) and had some awesome nachos. I was expecting the salsa to be hot, based on previous reviews, but it wasn't. I commented that it was good and the bartender told us that they had to take out some of the heat because of several complaints from customers who are used to the tomato sauce served in most restaurants. We thoroughly enjoyed it!

BDP
12-06-2007, 03:19 PM
commented that it was good and the bartender told us that they had to take out some of the heat because of several complaints from customers who are used to the tomato sauce served in most restaurants.

That's unfortunate. It always amazes me what qualifies as spicy food in Oklahoma. I'm not even a huge spicy food eater, that is, I don't like heat just for the sake of heat, but it seems so many have to error on the side of bland to accommodate Oklahoma palates.

Misty
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
That's unfortunate. It always amazes me what qualifies as spicy food in Oklahoma. I'm not even a huge spicy food eater, that is, I don't like heat just for the sake of heat, but it seems so many have to error on the side of bland to accommodate Oklahoma palates.

Amen sista! I like hot and spicy. Maybe blandness is a midwestern thing (are we considered the midwest?). I know people in Maine love bland. I grew up on bland meat and potatoes (every.....damn.....meal). I like my lips to burn while I eat :)

bandnerd
12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Maybe they could keep a batch of the hot stuff for special requests? I don't like it really hot, I'll admit I'm a big wuss when it comes to that; however, if there is demand it would be in their interest to serve it :)

CCOKC
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I had some drinks at the bar last Thursday night and the bartender brought out some hot salsa for the guy who was eating next to us. It was so hot he said that he could barely eat it. So maybe you can get hotter salsa if you ask for it.

mburlison
12-06-2007, 06:13 PM
ask for the habanero salsa ;).

Doug Loudenback
01-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I had my 1st, absolutely not last, meal at 1492 yesterday. I was in a bit of a rush and had to leave earlier than my wife and our friend who met us there. Having read this thread fairly closely before posting, I'm not sure what to say to the less than favorable comments, because mine are totally the opposite.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/contrib_pix/j/e/hds/jean_reno.jpgThe atmosphere was fresh, open and even breezy, the art on the walls was nice and the chairs were attractive mahogany-type wood and comfortable. The service was always timely and our waiter was a hunk, a dark hunk, and the ladies loved him and his low voice ... a darker and younger version of Jean Reno, except that he was bald. Nice meringa-type music played unobtrusively in the background.

It also "felt" good eating in an original home of one of Okc's Beverlys Chicken-in-the-Rough's, and the Osler building across the street is where my mother's doctor officed, the guy who assisted in my extraction from my mother's tummy quite a few years ago!

To my taste, the complimentary chips and salsa were some of the best I've eaten and I take my salsa quite seriously. My favorite commercial salsa is La Victoria's Salsa Suprema (medium) ... La Victoria Salsa Suprema - 67 oz. (http://www.mexgrocer.com/14901.html) ... but it's been hard for me to find locally over the past few years. I've even been known to order a couple of cases directly from La Victoria. The salsa here had a different texture than La Victoria's but the flavor was entirely as good ... a small, but not hurtful, bite with a rich taste and non-watery texture. I would have been satisfied to eat nothing else and, as it was, the refills came without asking. We got some extra salsa to take home. By noon today, it was gone.

As mentioned, I had time limits so I got something easy to fix ... soft cheese taco, cheese enchalada, rice & refried beans & iced tea. The taste of the cheeses was different ... it took me a few bites to consider what I thought about it ... and the more I ate the more I savored every bite. Everything else was quite fine, too ... including the plentiful and tasty iced tea. If I'd not been in a hurry, I would have licked the plate! Next time! Dawgz get away with stuff that people don't, don't you know?

My wife had a salmon something, and our friend's dish was chicken based. Both of them said that their food was quite good ... I didn't taste, I was by then deep into the cheeses that I'd become a fan of and I didn't want that savory taste getting messed up with fish or chicken!

I rushed off to get to the junior high basketball game, leaving the ladies behind. I was told by the waiter that a take-out menu was available and I asked my wife to bring one home. She did.

Larger image at http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/1492_2.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/1492_2s.jpg

Larger image at http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/1492_1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/1492_1s.jpg

This will definitely be a place I'll revisit and, as I live only a few blocks north, often. I unhesitatingly recommend this place.

jbkrems
01-20-2008, 09:27 PM
I unhesitantly recommend 1492 as well. The owner-managers are very nice and I always get carne asada, which is a winner each and every time. I am known as a regular there, and always get good service and treatment.

foodiefan
01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
SUPER GOOD!! Had lunch there today with a friend. I had the luncheon chicken enchilada plate. . . our waiter indicated that it was pretty typical "Tex-Mex" fare. Not in my book. . . it was great. Tender shredded chicken in the enchiladas, nice white sauce, not just a bunch of sour cream plopped on top, Rice was outstanding. . .lots of cumin, but tender, soft, not dried/crusty. My friend had a plate from the dinner menu. . .shredded beef with plaintains. . .VERY tasty!!. . .black bean soup and yucca fries. . . A monster Tres Leche cake for dessert (would be a big dessert for 2, an ample tast of heaven for 4!!)

metro
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Doug, good review. If you re-read the posts, myself and others liked the food (I think it and the cheese is quite well actually, much thicker than most places), however the main criticism of this place has been that it really isn't a FUSION restaurant as it claims to be. Most of the dishes are standard Tex-Mex dishes with the exception of the duck enchiladas. The taste, I agree is better than a lot of other Tex-Mex places.

FoodieFan, I agree the Tres Leches cake is amazing and very generous portion.

betts
01-22-2008, 07:00 AM
I thought the duck enchiladas were divine. My daughter had the Pollo Azteca. and it was just alright. Basically a chicken breast with some seasoning and a sauce. But I will go back there anytime for the duck enchiladas. They're not terribly spicy, but the flavor is amazing, and the meat, tortilla and sauce compliment one another very well.

mecarr
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I had posted a review of 1492 a while back when I went for the first time. My first experience at 1492 consisted of good service but lackluster food. SInce then, I have visited three more times. I will say that my experience since the first time has been a lot better. While I have not ordered what I ordered the first time, the other dishes I have tried have been very good. They changed up the salsa too and it is very tasty. Finally, the tres leches dessert was amazing. I'm glad that now I only have positive things to say of 1492.