View Full Version : Capitol Hill Needs a Web Page

downtownguy
11-27-2004, 09:27 AM
I don't usually try to plaster my blog entries on this great site, but forgive me for doing so just this time:

A couple of great stories appeared at www.okcbusiness.com recently about Capitol Hill, Oklahoma City’s forgotten southside downtown. It’s difficult to dismiss comments from Mr. Anderson, a regular poster here at www.okctalk.com. His opinions aren’t always popular, but in this regard, his family’s history in southside business and civic affairs merits some attention on this particular subject. In this post, he also refers to David Sellers, who continues to publish the community’s Capitol Hill Beacon.

So let’s first get into what Anderson has to say:

“I know David Sellers and will say this. He is a big dreamer. His newspaper, if you want to call it that, is nothing more than a gossip column with stories about Maud's dog running across the street and jumping on Gert's bed. He has said for years that Capitol Hill would be restored. I have yet to see any real progress, and will not believe it until I see it. Probably looking down from my office in heaven after I die.

Yes. There are memories. Just that... Memories. The TG&Y, Zales, Emmers, Langston's, Lavine's, my dad's stock brokerage dealership, Fred Jones, Eskridge Oldmobile, Otasco and more. However, those are gone. Even Anderson-Bryant & Co. We sold it in 1989. I remember walking up and down Commerce while my mom was picking up orders from my dad to pick up stock from First Fedelity in the First National tower (we later bought First Fedelity) (sp). Anderson-Bryant was a big part of my life and of the Hill's life.

However, David Sellers only dreams. I see no action, and I doubt I will ever see any. I think someone should buy the roughly six square miles, tear it down and build a motion picture studio. At least it would not look like a slum or the downtown of smallville USA"

Now, here are some comments on www.virtualtourist.com, by a Vancouver resident:

“The Capitol Hill Main Street district is due south of downtown and is the centre of the city's Latin oriented commerce. While development has been much slower than other Bricktown or the Asian District, Capitol Hill does host many restaurants and retail outlets that would leave you to believe you were actually in Mexico.

It is tough to say exactly what direction the district will take but hopefully with the N. Canadian river (Oklahoma river) re-development and the apparent desire to return to the inner city interest in Capital Hill will recover more strongly.

At least do this: Walk the street and experience the local shops, restaurants, and flavour of the district. Oh, and by the way, knowledge of Espanol may be helpful."

Now, here is what I’ve got to say:

I’m what some would describe as being a “building hugger.” I value our city’s architecture, and the Capitol Hill has an abundance of original architecture beckoning back to a time when southsiders considered the area centered around Southwest 29th and Robinson Avenue to be their downtown. Capitol Hill was home to a J.C. Penneys, John A. Browns, Langstons, a bank, bakery, at least three theaters, grocery stores, and dozens of other shops and restaurants.

Whereas downtown Oklahoma City was torn down in the 1970s, Capitol Hill simply died from neglect. I understand Anderson’s cynicism; he’s surely heard numerous stories and schemes about how his old haunt would come back to life, only to be disappointed. As for Sellers, he’s a quaint reminder of what used to be; at one time, his newspaper was published at least twice a week (you can find microfilm of the 1950s editions of his paper at the downtown library).

Yes, Capitol Hill is dogged with poverty in surrounding neighborhoods and prostitutes on Robinson Avenue. But the area has a ton of potential, especially being so close to the river and with so much of the original architecture still standing. But dangers persist; ask the people redeveloping Deep Deuce how much they wish the Aldridge Theater and Slaughers Hall hadn’t been torn down by those writing the area off. It was tragic to see Capitol Hill’s Redskin Theater torn down earlier this year. It was also sad to see the Oklahoma Opry move out.

Some say Capitol Hill won’t truly join the ranks of Paseo, Bricktown and Stockyards City as recovering historic districts until the battle between the old south and the new Hispanic population ends. It’s a battle that ultimately will be won by the Hispanic residents, but can Capitol Hill stay intact until then?

So, what can we do? I know there are some talented folks out there, reading this page and others promoting Oklahoma City. I’ve tried to find a web site that promotes Capitol Hill and its history. To date, I’ve found none.

I will offer the following deal; I’ll feature Capitol Hill’s history and current events for a straight week in mid to late December. I’ll provide links and resources for photos and art of its history. I’d be delighted if one of you takes this material and assembles it into a web page.

Think about it… you contribute the html know how and I’ll provide the copy.

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

mranderson
11-27-2004, 09:48 AM
A web site never hurts. However, I still do not think the hill will ever be what it once was, or even close... Not in my lifetime.

Maybe if David Sellers retires, then someone can do something. A person that is a doer, not a dreamer.

And, yes. You are correct. The Beacon was once a real newspaper. In fact, they were quite kind to Anderson-Bryant with articles about the company. Today, it is the way I described. I only wonder how the Sellers' make a profit.

Patrick
11-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Hey, thanks downtownguy for including your blog here. By the way, for those that may be knew and haven't had a chance to view downtownguy's blog, I encourage you to check it out. He's definitely "in the know" when it comes to Oklahoma City! Check it out at www.downtownguy.blogspot.com.

Anyways, I think a web page would be great for Capitol Hill. To tell you the truth, I really don't know what businesses are down there. Having a site listing upcoming events, the different businesses, a map showing locations, etc. would sure help. I know the Bricktown site isn't updated very often, but it's nice to have a Bricktown site to kep us somewhat up to date on events in Bricktown. Capitol Hill could benefit from something similar!

TheHill
01-14-2005, 09:50 PM
Hello, I am TheHill coming on board. I look forward to participating and one thing I know about is Capitol Hill, more later. Have a good evening.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey welcome TheHill...it's great to have you aboard. We'd love for you share with us more about the resurrgence of the Capitol Hill District. Feel free to chime in anytime!

downtownguy
01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
The work that Luke and I did is finished. Nobody has yet to create a web page, so I've gone ahead a set up a dedicated blog to Capitol Hill. Anyone who wants to add to it can do so by posting comments on the site. Visit it at www.capitolhillokc.blogspot.com.

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

Patrick
01-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks downtownguy for letting us know. By the way, I've enjoyed reading your blog entries on the Capitol Hill District. They've been quite informative. Hopefully, in due time, someone will create a webpage for the Capitol Hill District. For such a page to be successful, it will have to be put together by someone within the district. Do they currently have a district association? Seems like if they bonded together and formed an association like Bricktown, it would not only help Capitol Hill, but probably allow then an opportunity to join forces and possibly put together a website to benefit the entire district.

kruzun2
01-25-2005, 07:05 PM
My daughter and I were talking about Capitol Hill there other day. I grew up in the area and only moved out in the '90's after my mother died. I would love to see someone, anyone, do something with this area and not let it get run down more than it has. She was telling me about a man who supposely had set up an Captiol Hill Main Street Association. She is looking for more information about it. I will let you know what she finds. She did find the following article. I don't know if it has been done, or even started, or will be started. I told my husband that I wanted to go drive around the area to jog my memory on names of stores. I'll see what is done.

The Beacon put together some maps a few years ago that had all the houses and businesses along with the names of who owned them. I talked to them the other day and she said they still had a few of the 1950's ones. I am going to get one this week.

I did not know the Redskin had been torn down. I hate to hear that. I don't like the new multiplex movies. No personality.

Here is the article. It's dated 2003.

Vacant store to become new home for CAA
The Community Action Agency of Oklahoma City and Oklahoma/Canadian Counties is planning to renovate a long-empty department store in the historic Capitol Hill area to become its new offices.
The renovation of the old John A. Brown store will give a shot in the arm for the Capitol Hill area, said State Senator Keith Leftwich. “We’re seeing a rebirth of Capitol Hill,” added State Representative Al Lindley during a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
Jim Sconzo, Executive Director, said the agency is getting $3 million in Community Development Block Grants to renovate the building.
The building will be gutted and new mechanical and electrical systems installed. Sconzo said he hopes contractors can begin work by March and complete the work before the end of the year.
Sconzo expects to move 75 Community Action staff members into the 45,000 square foot building.
The agency also acquired an adjacent and also vacant J.C. Penny’s building. Sconzo would like to begin working on renovating that building later as part of an area economic development effort.
In conjunction with the building renovation, the Capitol Hill Main Street project is spearheading an effort to improve streets, sidewalks and lighting in the area.

kruzun2
01-25-2005, 07:16 PM
I wish I had read downtownguy's message before I wrote mine as I just repeated what he had on his site for Capitol Hill, and his is a lot better. Oh well!

I do remember when Chelino's started on S. Robinson. It had only been there a few months when we started going there. They are such a wonderful family and a wonderful addition to OKC. My son was 15 and he is now 30, so it was over 15 years ago. With people such as this involved in Capitol Hill, it has to have a good chance to become what it once was.

I hope all this makes sense. I have been working all week on getting the Moore Book Sale ready and am tired, so not sure my brain in working too well.

Later,

Kruzun2

theenye
12-05-2005, 10:16 PM
I own a software development firm, Latino music company, and new Latino media company. I am thinking of moving our offices from downtown Norman to Capitol Hill. The place needs quite a bit of work, but I would like to be part of it. We also, of course, build web sites. I would be willing to look into starting a Capitol Hill Web Site.

metro
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Theenye,

First of all, welcome to the site! We can definetely use some more Latino representation. Secondly, I think that would be an awesome idea if you could help be one of the few to help renovate the Capitol Hill area and possibly one day even get an official Hispanic district

HOT ROD
12-06-2005, 11:22 AM
yes indeed, great news!!!