View Full Version : Where to go

wheeler
09-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Where do the young (age 25-35) singles gather in OKC? I recently heard someone say that OKC was the worst place in the world to be single. Back in my day there were singles bars everywhere. How about here?

bandnerd
09-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Not single, but I think it depends on your perspective. Do you really want to meet people at bars? I personally wouldn't, but you can always do the club scene...there are plenty of single people there. I always encourage people to try different venues, maybe a little more upscale type stuff or volunteer work, to meet people during the day, without the haze of alcohol, because you will tend to get a better picture of who they are.

Just because one person thinks that being single in OKC is bad doesn't mean it is. Half of NYC's population is single and has been that way for a long time.

Midtowner
09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Where do the young (age 25-35) singles gather in OKC? I recently heard someone say that OKC was the worst place in the world to be single. Back in my day there were singles bars everywhere. How about here?

Depends on your budget. Edna's is always a decent place for a dive bar. Citywalk ain't bad. There are tons of places in Bricktown.

Anyone who complains that there's nothing to do in OKC just isn't trying.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
The intertubes!

I've met my last couple of girlfriends online, and they turned out to be smashingly good women.

The main problem with finding somebody online is that you find yourself getting much more picky than you would in person. Won't even talk to a woman with something wrong with her...Like having thin eyebrows, sharp knees, etc.

bandnerd
09-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Well, sharp knees can be dangerous in certain situations.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Exactly!

BaldDriller13
09-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Not single, but I think it depends on your perspective. Do you really want to meet people at bars? I personally wouldn't, but you can always do the club scene...there are plenty of single people there. I always encourage people to try different venues, maybe a little more upscale type stuff or volunteer work, to meet people during the day, without the haze of alcohol, because you will tend to get a better picture of who they are.

Just because one person thinks that being single in OKC is bad doesn't mean it is. Half of NYC's population is single and has been that way for a long time.

I agree with not necessarily looking at bars to meet people. However, if I am there, the possibility exists that I could meet someone who really doesn't want to be there, but doesn't see much other choice as well. I like your suggestions on other places, but maybe a little more specific?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I agree with not necessarily looking at bars to meet people. However, if I am there, the possibility exists that I could meet someone who really doesn't want to be there, but doesn't see much other choice as well. I like your suggestions on other places, but maybe a little more specific?

When I lived in San Diego, I did a LOT of volunteer work for the San Diego Humane Society (my girlfriend was a paid employee) and there were tons of single women around at all their functions. You might try Pets and People out in Yukon.

bandnerd
09-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Well, there are other typical "meat markets" like Red Rock out on Hefner (they have a happy hour or something). You might try going to the Paseo for the art galleries and the once-a-month gallery walks on the first Friday of every month. There is the Blue Moon place there, too, with music and drinks but it's very low-key. There's the cocktails on the roof of the art museum Thursday nights. There are a million concerts, plays, musicals, etc. to attend, as well. Read the Gazette for ideas on stuff you might like.

You can always try meeting people through those you already know...people you work with, or other friends/relatives might have an occasional suggestion.

Think about what type of activities you enjoy and then search for opportunities to enjoy those activities with others in a group setting.

Okay, I didn't even have to go through the whole whirlwind of dating, so I don't know why I'm giving advice on this. I guess I knew a lot of single people at some point. Most people met their significant others in college or through people they already knew! I met Mid through a couple of his fraternity brothers, but then later we ended up playing in the university orchestra together so we might have met eventually, anyway :P

Midtowner
09-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Sunsets on the roof of the Museum Cafe on Thurs. night.

redcup
09-23-2007, 10:48 AM
You could check out Sauced (coffeeshop) on the Paseo. Redcup Coffeeshop on NW 31/Classen usually has some cuties there.

redcup
09-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I forgot one place. Rococo's on NW 27/Penn. I think Thursday nights are Jazz nights and has a great following. They also have great food. Many of my younger friends go there and find it a great place to meet prospective dates.

Misty
09-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I've never understood why people have trouble meeting other people? I meet people all the time, everywhere I go. If you are friendly then people just approach you. Now granted, I don't think I've ever gone out with an "I've got to find me a man tonight" attitude, so maybe that's why I meet so many people. You can smell desperation from a mile away, there is nothing that is a bigger turn off than a desperate man. I met two different people last week that I'm meeting again this week, not "dates" (one is too young, one too old!) but cool people that will be friends and fun to hang out with. Just get out there and live your life and you will meet lots of people as you go. It's more fun to stay single anyway folks, quit trying so hard and enjoy your freedom!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I've never understood why people have trouble meeting other people? I meet people all the time, everywhere I go. If you are friendly then people just approach you. Now granted, I don't think I've ever gone out with an "I've got to find me a man tonight" attitude, so maybe that's why I meet so many people. You can smell desperation from a mile away, there is nothing that is a bigger turn off than a desperate man. I met two different people last week that I'm meeting again this week, not "dates" (one is too young, one too old!) but cool people that will be friends and fun to hang out with. Just get out there and live your life and you will meet lots of people as you go. It's more fun to stay single anyway folks, quit trying so hard and enjoy your freedom!

Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Misty
09-24-2007, 09:33 AM
I am wise beyond words, Grasshopper. I was, at one time, known as The Social Queen. I've since decided sleep is more important. I should have an infomercial for my methods. I can see it now, me onstage spreading my wisdom with an energetic studio audience. Oh Gawd, you can be my sidekick and act all amazed at how smart I am!!!!!!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I am wise beyond words, Grasshopper. I was, at one time, known as The Social Queen. I've since decided sleep is more important. I should have an infomercial for my methods. I can see it now, me onstage spreading my wisdom with an energetic studio audience. Oh Gawd, you can be my sidekick and act all amazed at how smart I am!!!!!!

I'll be needing some Captain Morgan's for that.

I'll take that in lieu of a salary.

Misty
09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
I'll be needing some Captain Morgan's for that.

I'll take that in lieu of a salary.

Looks like you already drank it all.

Misty
09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Looks like you already drank it all.

Sorry, here it is:

OU Adonis
10-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Not everyone is a social butterfly Misty. :)