View Full Version : The shining crosses

Keith
11-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I noticed this evening as I was driving west of downtown, that the crosses are lit up on the two tall buildings downtown. Not only does it look cool, but it is a shining beacon for all those who travel I-40 during the night. Yes, the holiday season is upon us, and the crosses just make the season more special. :)

mranderson
11-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Although I would not do it on my building, the crosses have become as much a Christmas tradition as the BC Clark jingle.

Patrick
11-29-2004, 11:58 PM
I think it's interesting that the Bank One Building started this many years ago, and Kerr McGee followed suit with a brighter, larger cross! Anyways, they both add to the uniqueness of our skyline. On another forum board a few years back, we discussed the legality of these crosses. We came to the conclusion that the buildings were owned by private companies, and thus it was their 1st Amendment Right to display the crosses. Anyways, I thought it was interesting to bring that up!

Luke
11-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Sadly, I believe it will only be a matter of time before a few people (and I do mean a few) will get so upset about it that the crosses will come down.

I hope I'm wrong.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
11-30-2004, 10:55 PM
I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Patrick
12-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Obviously if either Bank One or Kerr McGee were sued, they plaintiff would lose, but it would still cost both companies soem in legal fees. Hopefully someone won't ever consider the option. I don't know of any lawyer that woul take the case on.....it's private property....there's no way a lawyer could win that case.

Underling
12-25-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't know if there would be any legitimate legal standing for such a suit, unless it were filed by an employee who was claiming religious discrimination. I'm not one for big showy displays of faith, but I LOVE the crosses in downtown. It's a signal of Christmas for me and generally make me smile when I'm driving back into the city at 1:00 in the morning.

windowphobe
12-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Besides, the crosses are technically outside the buildings; I'd hate to have to conjure up an argument that an image you can't see during your workday somehow causes you pain.