View Full Version : OG&E Problems

brianinok
09-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Hopefully I get this posted before my electricity goes out again....

My electricity has been out most of the day. It was also out most of yesterday. This is the fourth time this year my electricity has gone out for a prolonged period, and weather has not been the culprit any of those times. I live near NW 164th and Western. Has anyone else had these problems? I know at my last house, I had power surges all summer in the heat of the day, which would trip the breaker on my A/C every day when I was at work. I would come home to a 90 degree plus house every day (this was the summers of 2003 and 2004, which had many 100+ days). Back then, OG&E's attitude was "oh well" and it is the same now. Any time you call, they always say, "we do not know what the problem is, but we are working to fix it." How can they work to fix the problem when they don't know what it is??

In 2006, OG&E had net income of $149 million dollars (keep in mind net income is after depreciation expense, which is not a cash expense) on $1.746 billion in revenue. Does anyone else think OG&E needs to update their equipment? It's like they don't care about the problems they have. Baghdad probably has had more reliable electricity than I have had this year.

NewsOK: Outage hits parts of city, metro (http://newsok.com/article/3127583/1189982359)
OGE | Financial Reports (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=106374&p=IROL-annualreports)

Karried
09-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Brian - we are pretty close neighbors ... My power has been out ALL day! It comes on intermittently and just when I get the clocks reset, it goes out again! So frustrating!

drumsncode
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I too, feel your pain.

I live relatively close to "brianinok", and although I haven't had a prolonged outage today, this area has been worse in terms of power reliability than anywhere I've lived in the OKC/Edmond area.

I've had 3 quick outages today which, of course, came at terrible times.

OG&E needs to update a lot of things. They should start with the salaries of their corporate executives, then work downward. I don't really think they care that much about the public interest. They care a lot more about their own bank accounts.

They make huge profits and yet they will cut off the electricity to poor people in a heartbeat. They could easily give the Jesus House free electricity, yet they seem to threaten them with cutoff every year or so, and it makes the news. They want us to foot the bill, while their executives live in Nichols Hills in the lap of luxury.

They wanted us to foot the bill for their new power plant. Imagine that! Thank goodness the Corporation Commission voted it down. I guess they didn't make the bribes large enough.

brianinok
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Karried, I had the same problem! But, I gave up setting the clocks this last time. They are still flashing. Maybe if I leave them flashing, the electricity will stay on.

oldglory
09-17-2007, 05:54 AM
mine was out some of the day.........

NikonNurse
09-17-2007, 10:01 AM
There is a hospital that I work at....on Memorial that is apparently at the end of an "O G& E" line that is suffering from issues as well. (The end of the line thing is what we are told quite often (as this happens every so often). Thank god for generators.

Karried
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Now that is frightening! We were inconvenienced but we could survive easily.. patients in hospitals.. that's really scary for them I imagine. Glad the generators kicked in!

windowphobe
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I can count on at least one 18-hour (or more) outage every summer. When it hits, I wait twenty minutes, and then check into a hotel for the duration.