View Full Version : State Fair?

Karried
09-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Anyone going to the fair this week?

List of places to get Discount Tickets:

| Oklahoma State Fair (http://www.okstatefair.com/)

http://www.okstatefair.com/documents/07CarnivalCouponLocations.pdf

I think this year will be good because of the Centennial Celebration.

Karried
09-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Complete Fair Schedule:

http://www.okstatefair.com/schedule/07DailyScheduleCOMPLETE.pdf

jbrown84
09-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm going monday night. Thanks for the links.

Karried
09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Cool... let me live vicariously through you.. keep track of each and every delicious morsel you indulge it...I want to hear all about the funnel cakes/cinnamon rolls .. although, I have to admit, I'm craving a turkey leg.. lol

metro
09-15-2007, 06:46 PM
If you ask me, the city and state missed the mark already. While I haven't visited the fair nor intend to, as usual they don't make much if any beautification efforts to the city before hand. As usual I-44 and I-40 by the fairgrounds is a dump as usual and has weeds in excess of 1 foot. If the fairgrounds draw sooooo much money and are our staple for being the "Horse Show Capital of the World" then why don't they beautify the roads and highways surrounding it. 10th street around the fairgrounds is ugly and crime ridden.

jbrown84
09-15-2007, 07:10 PM
There's not much they can do about the status of the surrounding neighborhoods and the kinds of businesses that attracts. I drive that area daily and haven't noticed overgrown grass on city easments, in fact I just saw someone trimming the bushes in the May Ave. median this morning.

MadMonk
09-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I went today. I don't know if it's because it's still early in the schedule, but I think this is the cleanest I've ever seen the fairgrounds during the fair. Whoever is in charge of keeping things clean is doing a great job. I didn't go everywhere though; I spent most of my time with my kids in the carnival area.

Doug Loudenback
09-15-2007, 08:11 PM
I'll be goin'. Doug Dawg wouldn't miss the Centennial (2nd version) State Fair for nuttin! :)

Midtowner
09-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't generally go. I haven't been to the fair in probably 3-4 years. Didn't have a great time the last time I went... probably because I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Perhaps one day when I'm rollin' in the dough, I'll be able to more fully appreciate the fair. For now, I dedicate my disposable income to nobler pursuits.

SWOKC 4 me
09-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I'll be there even if just for the Indian Tacos!

Intrepid
09-16-2007, 11:13 AM
I went last night and must say that I was extremely disappointed. Some of the building exhibits were extremely spread out more than usual (which to me says there's a drop in participation) and they were VERY boring.

I'm not a ride person, but even those seemed different this year.

There were also many more food vendors and, of course, higher prices.

Because I promised her, I'm taking my daughter next Saturday or Sunday (during the day), so maybe/hopefully my experience will be different.

Intrepid
09-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh yeah...

This is what I had for food and beverages:

Regular Corn Dog - $3.00
Funnel Cake - $6.00
Indian Taco - $7.00
Bud Light (which I RARELY purchase) - $5.00

I can't imagine feeding an entire family with those prices.

Architect2010
09-16-2007, 11:37 AM
okay!!! the fair was so fun this year!!!
Went with my friends yesterday, there were so much more people than last year when i went! Yeah, the rides werent different, but its because they changed how they were arranged. They took the rainbow out but added like 2 rides i think. Foot Loose and Hard Rock. The car show was like the same as every year, newer cars.
the food! hmmm. where to begin. well it really helps to know people in the food stands..... I went to go buy myself a calzone and a pizza on a stick and i saw my friend from Southeast. She only charged me for the Calzone. (pizza on a stick - $8 calzone $5). And then I went to Meatball Factory and saw another one of my friends and got a free drink. So I only spent $5!
So overall. I thought it was so much better this year, except the lines are way longer! But it was awesome and Im going monday, cause I get in free and Im going again next saturday!

BailJumper
09-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Went today. Once again, I got all hyped about going and then got there only to realize all I accomplished was paying $8 for the privilege to be around a bunch of people I would otherwise avoid and paying $6 for an obscenely long corn dog.

Why do I do this to myself year after year?

Karried
09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
lol .. that made me laugh! It sounds like me.. I get all excited and then reality hits while I trudge through the crowds with hundreds of other hot sweaty people! I then start imagining myself at home with A/C watching a good flick with $1 popcorn - all under $5 bucks!

The thing about the fair is that I love rides but again, I'm all happy, I get all strapped in (or trapped in as some might say) and the ride starts and all I can see is the Carnie below and it hits me while I'm spinning at 100 mph that this is the person tightening the nuts and bolts of the ride that my children are on! Agghhgg.. talk about a buzz kill!

But I bet your kids love it! Don't you find we do a lot of things that we probably wouldn't do for our kids?

NE Oasis
09-16-2007, 05:35 PM
State Fair-a safe topic-There's been some concern of late because I haven't been active. No one has run me off, things have just been busy at work AND the home front. Visited the fair Friday night. The place is clean, the crowds orderly. I could not bring myself to sample "deep fried mashed potatoes on a stick". I guess booth rent has gotten too steep, I miss the local TV stations setting up their booths so the anchors cna meet and greet.

Karried
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
yay! I was worried about you! Glad to see you are okay....

What??

You passed on 'deep fried mashed potatoes on a stick?!' Maybe you're not okay after all? Who in their right mind could resist that??

lol

Easy180
09-16-2007, 07:44 PM
We tried the mashed potatoes on a stick and they were just ok....It is the law with the wifey to hit the fair at least twice during it's run...

One big difference this year....HUGE lines to get tickets into the fair on the northside where most people park....We went Saturday morning around 10:45 and that line was disgustingly long....So we just parked to the east and there wasn't one person in line at that one...Kinda funny

Came back out the same way around 1:00 (where there was no wait) and the line was now beyond crazy....I swear it must have been at least an hour wait in that line....People did not look happy at all

Just have to know if you see a huge line keep driving and look for another

Misty
09-17-2007, 10:49 AM
This was my first year attending and it was pretty much what I expected. I have been to very few fairs or carnivals so I don't have much to compare it to. I also don't go to the circus because I have clown phobia (what would possess someone to be a CLOWN for gods sake?) and don't like the exploitation of people with unusual diseases or features. Well, at the fair yesterday there was a booth with "the world's smallest woman" that we went to. We saw a bunch of kids going in and laughing and laughing so we figured it was just some mirror trick or something. I was SHOCKED to see an actual person sitting there. She was just a little person but she looked so, so sad. My friends and I were all highly disturbed by this. I thought it was just terrible. There also was a "snake woman" with no arms and legs stand that we did not go to, I can only imagine what that poor woman has to go through if she truly was a leg and arm amputee. I don't find any amusement or humor in the suffering of others. It was very sad, I can't imagine just sitting there and being laughed at all day.

jbrown84
09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Went yesterday and had a lot of fun. I just go with friends, get some fair food that you can't get any other time of the year (mmm Chicken on a Stick) and laugh at all the [interesting] people. I will be going back tonight to do the rides. :)

BailJumper
09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Oh Misty, it's not so bad. One of the news channels interviewed the "tiny woman" of the fair last year. Don't know if it was the same woman or not (she was a little black woman last year). But she said she liked the job but got really bored. She said she had worked other jobs where they hire those with impairments, but she said she only got just sabove minimum wage. She said with the fair she gets much more and gets to talk on her cell phone all day.

They interviewed the snake lady too and she was just a woman sitting under a table with a fake snake body. Looked to be an illusion with mirrors. She too said she liked the job.

There is a great documentary on 'Circus Freaks' that airs every now and then on the discovery channel. While abuse happened, their take was that it gave pretty good jobs and some celebrity to those who would otherwise be shunned.

Misty
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks BailJumper, that makes me feel better! I'm tender-hearted and have been thinking about those ladies all day. Now if you can just help me understand why all clowns are evil maybe I can start sleeping with the lights out. I saw Poltergeist when I was way too young and still get freaked out if I let my feet dangle down within reach of the evil clowns and monsters under the bed.......