View Full Version : 101 story tower in China

Easy180
09-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Judging from the quality of the toys they make I think I will take a pass on going into this place if I ever make it over there :eek:

Shanghai's bristling skyline gets giant new landmark

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- After a more than a decade of delays, China's tallest building is slicing through Shanghai's hazy, skyscraper-studded skyline -- a new trophy built by a Japanese property tycoon.

The 101-storey Shanghai World Financial Center, a 1,614 foot wedge-shaped tower with a rectangular hole at the very top, was topped out on Friday as its last beam was laid amid a drizzle that obscured the building's panoramic view of endless high rises.

In a city whose skyline evinces the belief "the taller the better," the building is bound to be a major tourist destination and landmark.

With China's economy growing nearly 12 percent a year and stock and real estate prices soaring, "the timing is just about the best it could be," said the builder, Minoru Mori.

"When I saw the building this morning, at its full height, I thought it's really beautiful. I think we've really succeeded," Mori told reporters at Shanghai's Jinmao Tower, a silver spire next door to the World Financial Center that at 1,381 feet was China's tallest building until now.

CuatrodeMayo
09-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Currently one of my favs:

http://i2.tinypic.com/s664xy.jpg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Mega Maid is pleased with this. Looks like a giant Dustbuster.

CuatrodeMayo
09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Ludicrous speed!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-18-2007, 07:41 AM
It's Mega Maid! She's gone from suck to blow!

In other news...Mega Maid has turned her life around, and now travels around the galaxy cleaning up smog.

http://members.cox.net/imawingnut/fark/spaceballs.jpg

I love Photoshop.

Karried
09-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I just hope they don't piss off Al Queda.

CuatrodeMayo
09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
As long as Mega Maid wears a burka she should be OK.

ETL
09-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I wish they built buildings here in America like they do in the rest of the world. I just don't see that style of modern architecture.

CuatrodeMayo
09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
It does happen in the US...But the buildings are few and far between. We are trying but the public is hard to win over.

The freedom tower in NYC should be something edgy and modern.