View Full Version : What happened to N.E. okc

rugbybrado
09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
As everyone knows i havent lived here for very long, ive looked at a couple of okc maps and i always wonder why NE okc isnt developed like the other areas. Seems like its pretty vacant land that would be ideal(hilly, wooded, and close to the city center) Why has this never been developed?

Map of Oklahoma City, OK by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=Oklahoma+City&state=ok)

click on arial image.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Racism.

Millie
09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Some really nice developments are going in north of 63rd on Sooner Rd.

rugbybrado
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I was out that way the other day and saw some HUGE homes going in on the east side of i-35, but the vast majority of the area seems to be vacant. Just looking at the city and it goes very far north and south and to the west but nothing in this huge vacant area.

Now i understand that historically spencer and places like del city havent been the good places to live, but north of those it seems like it would be such ideal vacant land.

Why i ask because in tulsa east of eastland mall was once predicted to grow like the areas of broken arrow but it still lays completely vacant (and is a reason eastland mall failed) but ive always heard that there was problems with the soil and water table to support housing in that area...is NE OKC the same?

I honestly hope its more than just racism and white flight but it seems like such a large area to go to waste - the areas between 77 and i-35 and north east of the i-35 and i-44 junction.

Karried
09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
In about ten years I predict that you will see a high density developed area ... I know a lot of land has been bought up for just that purpose but with the real estate slowdown... who knows how long it will take to come to fruition.

russellc
09-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Same reason there is nothing in North Tulsa, but they don't even have a grocery store!

rugbybrado
09-12-2007, 06:31 AM
I was a magnet student and went to booker t. washington on the north side each day and there are alot of grocery stores in the area. In the last 4 years i also know they built a new albertsons at pine and and peoria. I can clearly see on the map where osage reservation is in the north west part of the town.

Map of Tulsa, OK by MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=tulsa+&state=ok&zipcode=)

stlokc
09-12-2007, 08:18 AM
It may be old-fashioned racism and it may be hard-core reality and it's probably a little bit of both, but there is the general feeling out there among a lot of people that the Oklahoma City Public School System began a steep decline in the 1970s.

Areas that are within the boundaries of that school system stopped growing for all practical purposes, as developers found it was easy to leapfrog north a few miles and build in Edmond or Deer Creek or shift a few miles west out to Putnam City, to districts that were "considered" better. So you see areas south of Memorial Road and as far west as Pennsylvania empty while development is frantic 20 minutes further out.

I surmise that if the Edmond School District boundaries were dropped south to 63rd or Wilshire, the attractive land around I-35 would develop quickly.

And I surmise that in a few more years, if Maps For Kids has really produced the kind of innovative, high-achieving public school system for inner-city OKC that is its goal, the desirable areas in the NE part of town will again seem attractive. Just my two cents.

Midtowner
09-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Racism.

Sort of, but only incidentally.

If anyone thought they could make money there, they'd be developing. The fact is we're talking about the least educated, highest crime, highest unemployment, lowest income part of the whole city. Not many businesses are going to flourish in such an environment.

It's not racist to look at the demographics of an area and decide that it'd be better to build your grocery store in the Quail Creek area. It's just business.

As to why that area is the way it is? Well, yes, racism is totally to blame. It used to be the case that blacks weren't allowed to buy homes in many "white" neighborhoods. In NE OKC, however, they were allowed. It became (by design) the de facto black part of town.

As to why because it's black it must necessarily be poor? Likely because all of the well-to-do blacks got the heck out once it became safe to move to historically white neighborhoods with better schools leaving all the poor folk behind. It's my guess, but I'm guessing I'm right.

Anyhow, I guarantee you if the area was 100% black today, but also mostly college educated, with an average income in the $60,0000 range, that part of town would be very well developed.

rugbybrado
09-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Oklahoma City Public School System began a steep decline in the 1970s.

Good point about the schools - i dont have any kids yet so i dont often take something like that into consideration, but i can see why most families who are wanting a new home would rather go to suburb schools then chance it with metro schools.(not saying all metro is bad , just generalizing)

betts
09-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Nichols Hills Elementary has a lot of kids in it who would have gone to Casady or Heritage Hall twenty years ago. Classen does as well. It is possible to improve Oklahoma City schools and reverse the suburban flight. There are some beautiful old school buildings and neighborhoods, and as the neighborhoods are improved, the schools should do the same. Interest and enthusiasm on the part of the residents of a school district is important as well.

Midtowner
09-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah, we can save our schools by resegregation.

Great idea!

I think charter and magnet schools are a far better concept. Instead of dividing kids up by lines arbitrarily drawn (or not in most cases), why not divide kids by those who want to excel versus those who need babysitters until they graduate to the penal system?

stlokc
09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Betts, I agree. Nichols Hills Elementary is an excellent school from what I've heard. I know that the parents in that area worked their asses off to create that school because they wanted a high quality public option in their neighborhood. So it is definitely possible. I know some great things are happening with the charter schools as well. But it's going to be a long, slow slog to get the entire city system up to those standards...

Rugby Brado, I don't have kids yet either, but when looking for my first house, the advice I got was to pay very close attention to the school district for re-sale value.

jbrown84
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I always wondered the same thing, but I think that the school district explanation is spot on. Putnam City allowed the NW side to develop just in time for 50's white flight, and now it's Edmond and Deer Creek. Because that NE side didn't have a Putnam City equivalent, it never developed and there is a noticeable lack of density between I-35, I-44, Broadway Ext., and the Kilpatrick.

metro
09-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Let's not forget good ole' Willa Johnson was elected County Commissioner on Tuesday. I'm sure she'll be pulling for more county funds to be targeted towards the "east side". She is from there and has always tried to lure businesses to her district. It just makes sense.

HOT ROD
09-14-2007, 02:41 AM
So who will take her place on the city council I wonder?

metro
09-14-2007, 11:43 AM
I imagine they will have a special election in November to determine that HOT ROD. I was hoping Ann Simank would either win or resign from city council as she was originally running for County Commissioner as well. Then I could have ran for her city council seat since I live downtown and be the first downtowner (maybe ever, but at least in decades to actually live, work in downtown) and serve on city council.

jbrown84
09-14-2007, 12:05 PM
mr anderson, of course

Midtowner
09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Brown, I actually typed those exact words earlier today. I found it hilarious.

--then I realized that he might win and was frightened. I believe he lives on the south side and is [thank God] ineligible.

jbrown84
09-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah thank God for that. ;)