View Full Version : Rapist's mom says he deserves burial in military cemetery

sella35
11-25-2004, 01:34 AM
I am sorry but I just think this is wrong. Did Tim McVeigh get buried in a military cemetery? Just curious because I don't know. But I guess he could too, if a rapist can?

Associated Press
<snip>

TUCSON, Ariz. - The mother of a convicted serial rapist who was accused of attacking four women in San Diego before he killed himself says her son deserves to be buried in a military cemetery.

Authorities said James Allen Selby, 38, hanged himself with his bedsheets Monday morning at the Pima County jail hours before he was to be sentenced to life in prison for attacking six Tucson females, including a teenage girl.

Selby served in the Army for almost seven years, was a Persian Gulf War veteran and earned an honorable discharge.

"My son fought for his country, and if, in fact, he did all these things, his mind was tainted by what he saw and couldn't handle in this war," Betty Brewer said Tuesday in a telephone interview from her home near Oklahoma City.

Selby's family will pay for his body to be returned to Oklahoma for burial.

A representative of the Fort Sill National Cemetery, a Veterans Affairs facility in Elgin, Okla., said the facility has begun paperwork for Selby's burial.

</snip>

Entire Story-
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/10263779.htm

Keith
11-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I agree with you, sella35. The man attacked 6 females and was about to be sentenced before he hung himself. I understand that he served in the military, however, the men and women that were buried in the military cemetary deserved to be buried there. He doesn't.

If the war was that bad on him then why wasn't he on some type of medication that would help him control himself? There are medications everywhere that help with anxiety, depression, and other illnesses that he could have taken.

I just can't see a sexual predator being buried in a military cemetary. They didn't say why he was honorably discharged.

mranderson
11-25-2004, 09:10 AM
I understand your feelings. However, look at their war record... If they have one.

Any decorated veteran has the right to be buried in a national cemetery. I think there are certain medals that quailify, and not just the Purple Heart. I could be incorrect on that one.

If I am not mistaken, Timothy McVeigh was a decorated soldier. That would entitle him to burial in a national cemetery. Granted, he commited the worst mass homicide on US Soil by a US citizen, and literally in our own back yards. However, no matter how devistating that event was, he was still a veteran, and what I understand, a good one. That entitles him to the right of burial... No matter what he did after his military action. However, I think he was Bar-B-Qued.

This other guy. The rapist. If he had similar military experience, he also is entitled to the same veteran rights as any person who risks their lives in military action to save our freedom... No matter what crimes he commits afterward.

Yes. A rape is not a good thing. Killing 169 (including yourself) is not a good thing. However, as the son of one of the most decorated Oklahoma native veterans in state history, I respect these men's efforts in military service and will grant them their veteran rights to burial. If there is a heaven and hell as we are taught, no need to worry. They will get their punishment. Honor the good things, but do not forget the bad things. Even the worst people have done something good. Even Hitler. That VW "Bug" some people like so well? Thank Adolph. He designed it. So, driving a VW that a mass killer designed, but not letting a veteran or two that commited some crimes have their veteran earned burial? Double standard.

Midtowner
11-26-2004, 10:00 AM
A decent argument could probably be made that the man was suffering from post-traumatic-stress-disorder and that played a role in his becoming a serial rapist. It could be argued that his PTSD was caused by his service to our country and something that happened to him during wartime caused him to 'snap'.

I don't know.. his crimes were horrible and I'm sure he possessed free will. He had the abilty to do right and he chose wrong. His judgement may have been clouded though. To say he's "deserving" of any kind of honor is questionable. However, his mother's request is understandable.

I think there really are two very good sides to this argument.