View Full Version : Lawnmower Died - Cheap Mowing Service?

Cid
09-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Lawnmower died today. I'm in need of cheap lawn mowing services for the remainder of the summer. Anyone recommend anything?

Tex
09-09-2007, 04:27 PM
is it not more cost effective to buy yourself a new lawnmower? sorry, i don't know of any cheap mowing services since i live in an apartment.

rugbybrado
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
go to sears/walmart and buy a new one for 150 bucks. cheaper than a new lawnservice for the rest of the summer.

Karried
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
We use

Integrity Lawns ....
17517 WainBridge Ave. Edmond ... ( I don't have the number in front of me - sorry)...

oudirtypop
09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
CID...where is your house located at? i own a lawn care and landscaping company...send me an email and i can get you a price in the next couple of days...superiorlawns@cox.net.

zuluwarrior0760
09-10-2007, 12:15 AM
If he wanted a new lawnmower, he would have asked who has
the best price on a new lawnmower.....

He doesn't want a lawnmower. He wants a juanmower.....

Karried
09-10-2007, 07:17 AM

I just spewed coffee over that one ... lol

MadMonk
09-10-2007, 07:34 AM
If he wanted a new lawnmower, he would have asked who has
the best price on a new lawnmower.....

He also asked for cheap. A cheap mower is likely less money than a lawn service would cost.

Juanmower...that was a good one. :)

Cid
09-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks. Fortunately, I was able to rehab the lawn mower. I think it will last through to the end of the season.

By the way, is making fun of latinos like the new fun racist thing to do?

CuatrodeMayo
09-11-2007, 07:49 AM
It's just the reality of community...95-99% of mowing businesses employ hispanics.

But I'm an equal-opportunity offender:

JohnMower.
DeShaunMower.
WangMower.

Jesseda
09-11-2007, 07:49 AM
I guess it is, I am half latino, and what was sad is my dad is full and they live in a upscale area, and when he is out mowing his lawn once a month someone will pull up and ask for his business card or phone number, some oklahomans are just ignorant like that, we moved from the westcoast and no one ever asked my dad for a business card until we arrived here.. I mean what if I came up to a white person and asked if they are growing tomatoes in the back and if they wouldnt mind sparing a glass of sweet tea.

Karried
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
That reminds me of the caveman commercial where the caveman asks the therapist if she would be offended if someone asked said to her, 'so easy a therapist could do it' .... or something like that..... I don't get the sweet tea or tomato thing/insult .. it's not offensive .. just like saying someone mowing a lawn is offensive.

What's offensive about mowing lawns or being gainfully employed?

Sorry if smiling about 'jaunmower' sounded racist. I know many Latinos who are extremely talented landscapers ... I guess that's what came to mind. No offense intended.

Misty
09-11-2007, 09:23 AM
I guess it is, I am half latino, and what was sad is my dad is full and they live in a upscale area, and when he is out mowing his lawn once a month someone will pull up and ask for his business card or phone number, some oklahomans are just ignorant like that, we moved from the westcoast and no one ever asked my dad for a business card until we arrived here.. I mean what if I came up to a white person and asked if they are growing tomatoes in the back and if they wouldnt mind sparing a glass of sweet tea.

Ohhhhhh you gotta love Oklahoma. Believe it or not I see a lot less racism here now then 10 years ago. It's progress, just not as quickly as most places. Anyone familiar with Chingo Bling? He pokes fun at the stereotypes, pretty amusing and I love people that wear cowboy boots with their shorts.....por favor believe it.....

Chingo Bling: Fruit Picker on mun2 :: Who's your Papi? (http://holamun2.com/candy/original/chingo-bling-fruit-picker/)

rugbybrado
09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
^ im an ass, but i didnt comment on the juan mower joke because it wasnt funny.

if anything i thought the funny thing was that the orignal poster would actually consider it smart to hire someone for the rest of summer instead of buying a new mower. im never surprised at how lazy and fat the majority of americans have become.

-a society of people who think its alright to drug their children instead of raising them properly
-pay someone else to raise their children
-put their grandparents in nursing homes instead of helping them
-pay someone to clean the house they messed up
-pay someone to mow their lawn or even wash their car because they would rather watch tv...

Then they wonder why they are obese and live short lives, as an american i think we are becoming the joke.

CuatrodeMayo
09-11-2007, 10:23 AM
-a society of people who think its alright to drug their children instead of raising them properly
-pay someone else to raise their children
-put their grandparents in nursing homes instead of helping them
-pay someone to clean the house they messed up
-pay someone to mow their lawn or even wash their car because they would rather watch tv...

Then they wonder why they are obese and live short lives, as an american i think we are becoming the joke.

When I was in high school I worked summers for a carpet cleaning company with a high-end clientel. I spent many days in houses all over Nichols Hills and Edmond thinking the exact same thing. It made me sick to see someone employing a nanny to take care of their kids...even on their day off. I decided the day I couldn't manage my own lifestyle was the day I change it.

MadMonk
09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
All race jokes are not hateful/racist jokes! Why do people always have to be so thin-skinned? :rolleyes:

rugbybrado
09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
All race jokes are not hateful/racist jokes! Why do people always have to be so thin-skinned? :rolleyes:

says the racist.

why dont you pull the juanmower joke at work ?

stlokc
09-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I think some of you are painting with a pretty broad brush. I happen to know a number of people that employ housekeepers and yardmen precisely so they can spend the weekends with their children at the zoo, the pool, the playground, whatever, instead of spending all weekend working after they have spent all week working.

Also, a significant percentage of lawn workers are either 16 year olds working their first jobs or less-well educated people without a lot of skills. Either way, you're providing these people with a hand-up instead of a hand-out and/or some valuable work experience. If you have the means, employing some help in this manner can be a win-win.

I do agree that stay-at-home parents should not be hiring nannies. However, if you work all day and have a couple of children it can be cheaper than a day-care center.

MadMonk
09-11-2007, 03:16 PM
says the racist.

why dont you pull the juanmower joke at work ?
I did! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/finger-1.gif

I should have known someone like you wouldn't be able to understand.

stlokc
09-11-2007, 03:21 PM
One other thing...as someone who grew up in Edmond and knows a lot of people from Nichols Hills, I really get tired of the reverse snobbery I see on this board from time to time. Most of the people who do well financially are there as a result of a lifetime of studying and very hard work. (Yes, there are trust funders but it is a very small percentage in Oklahoma)

Martin
09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
says the racist.

rb,
i think you need to cool it. personal attacks aren't permitted. -M

rugbybrado
09-11-2007, 03:33 PM
rb,

what i said was not an attack, its an observation.

Martin
09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
you don't get to make that call. end of discussion. -M

Karried
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
rb,

Rugbybrado,

The Moderators are in agreement on this issue. Please reaquaint yourself with the TOS of this board and refrain from personal attacks or personal 'observations' about another poster.

Should you have further questions, feel free to PM the moderators to discuss the issue.

Cid
09-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Interesting responses about the racism.

The juanmower joke is only funny because there is condescension. If latinos were known for doing a job that most aspire to, there would be nothing funny about it.

It's not about thin skin. I just plain don't find racial humor funny at all. I don't like Mind of Mencia. I don't like white trash jokes. I don't like jokes on black people, white people, yellow people, brown people. It's only funny because it is condescending.

Until people choose to look past the color of someone's skin, racism will always exist. Racist jokes only perpetuate the situation.

The thing is, you don't know me. That is especially why I find the juanmower joke offensive. I'm NOT just like you. I don't rub elbows with you. I'm not your buddy. You may tell your racist jokes with your friends and family. That's between you and them. I'm not your friends. I'm not your family. Keep your racist jokes to yourself.

Peace.

Karried
09-14-2007, 08:02 PM
What about blonde jokes, lawyer jokes, priest jokes, children jokes, pet jokes, funny home videos? Do you find any of those funny?

This isn't a racist issue.. it's a play on words referring to someone mowing a lawn .. sheesh, there's no shame in yardwork/landscaping. It so happens that a large portion of Hispanic people choose to mow lawns .... what's racist about that?

I'm the first one to abhor racism but I didn't find this comment offensive at all ..

Tex
09-14-2007, 10:55 PM
that's screwed up... which is why i want to move from racist oklahoma even more.

Karried
09-15-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm from California.

I will admit to a racism here in OK but it exists everywhere. Take a look at any newspaper or talk forum. It's everywhere.

What I'm not understanding about this comment is why people are taking it as a racial slur.

Should Caucasians or other nationalities be ashamed of owning a landscaping business? or mowing a lawn? That's what I'm not understanding.. what's wrong with mowing lawns?

There is a great feeling of satisfaction in a job well done whether it be landscaping or closing a big deal.. hard work is never anything to look down upon.

That's what I don't get about this comment. It didn't seem like it was derogatory but maybe I just didn't see it that way because I don't think anything is wrong with working hard and earning money instead of sitting home earning unemployment - now that would have been a slur in my mind.

MadMonk
09-15-2007, 08:39 AM
High-lighting our differences in a light hearted, joking manner is not racism. There was nothing demeaning or hateful in that joke. No one really believes that all (or even most) latinos are lawn mowers.

Some people are just hyper-sensitive to perceived racism and tend to blame others for their own misconceptions and automatically scream out "OMG - Rasicm" without thoughtful consideration of the situation. This is the world we live in - one where a person can make a movie titled "White Men Can't Jump" and nobody bats an eye, but a harmless play on words concerning a non-white person gets you ostracized. Where a large number of hip-hop artists use the universally disgusting "N-word" in their songs, but if it's used by someone not of their own race, that person (rightfully) receives condemnation from the black community.

Any modern, intelligent person knows that people are basically all the same, but there are differences in our mannerisms and values and a wide variety of other things and this can be a basis for humor (similar in the basis for blond-brunette jokes). It's not hate, it's humor. If you can't understand or don't agree with that then you are indeed hypersensitive and thin-skinned.

rugbybrado
09-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Its amazing how XXXXX and self absorbed both of you are.

Have either of you stopped to think that some members of this board might not be white and/or offended by the 'joke'?

Numerous people have said thay they were offended and then you both waste a paragraph on trying to tell them what they should find offensive or not.

By the way, is making fun of latinos like the new fun racist thing to do?

I guess it is, I am half latino, and what was sad is my dad is full and they live in a upscale area, and when he is out mowing his lawn once a month someone will pull up and ask for his business card or phone number.

^ im an ass, but i didnt comment on the juan mower joke because it wasnt funny.

The thing is, you don't know me. That is especially why I find the juanmower joke offensive. I'm NOT just like you. I don't rub elbows with you. I'm not your buddy. You may tell your racist jokes with your friends and family. That's between you and them. I'm not your friends. I'm not your family. Keep your racist jokes to yourself.

that's screwed up... which is why i want to move from racist oklahoma even more.

MadMonk
09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I (and many others) find you offensive, but don't whine about it. Perhaps you should stop posting to keep from offending us? Do you really have that much difficulty posting something without calling names? I would think that your huge nearly-MBA brain would allow you to understand the rules and abide by them.

Karried
09-15-2007, 08:48 PM
if anything i thought the funny thing was that the orignal poster would actually consider it smart to hire someone for the rest of summer instead of buying a new mower. im never surprised at how lazy and fat the majority of americans have become.

wow..

That is pretty offensive.

Seems like someone is prejudiced against overweight people.

A lot of overweight people have thyroid problems or other issues that affect their weight - they are not all lazy. Some might find that offensive.

rugbybrado
09-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I wasnt calling either of you names, as i said earlier i was just making an observation. As you both know im not even hispanic but myself and other members have repeated numerous times how we were offended, but you both go on and on about how we are being to sensitve and thinned skin and then try to lecture us why we shouldnt be offended. I didnt even mention the joke at first because it was stupid, but when other people started objecting the offensive thing was when you guys went on and on trying to tell everyone what they should find offensive or not. Youre not them and you cant dictate to someone what they should find offensive when it comes to racial humor.

Everyone knows im 25 and i get called childish but how old are both of you again?

But im am man enough to apologize, if i offended you by pointing out how more and more americans are becoming obese and lazy - i apologize to you and your family. I will not make any more comments about fat or overweight people on this board because i respect that it might be unsensitive and hurtful to you. I only wish you guys could do the same.

Karried
09-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Apology accepted.

bretthexum
09-21-2007, 04:50 PM
So did Rugby get banned for this? Whatever I guess. I guess I have to back him up. More than one person found this post racist. But since the mod's didn't see it as racist, the guy who calls them out gets banned. I guess I am beating a dead horse here though... :(

Misty
09-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I have to wonder why he got banned as well. I thought the joke was in bad taste too. Rugby may not have been a popular poster and was outspoken but I saw nothing "ban" worthy from him. Surely people here aren't banned just because others don't like their opinions.

Karried
09-21-2007, 06:13 PM
So did Rugby get banned for this?

No, not for this.

It was a temporary break. He is welcome to come back in a few days if he chooses.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-22-2007, 05:52 AM
What about blonde jokes, lawyer jokes, priest jokes, children jokes, pet jokes, funny home videos? Do you find any of those funny?

This isn't a racist issue.. it's a play on words referring to someone mowing a lawn .. sheesh, there's no shame in yardwork/landscaping. It so happens that a large portion of Hispanic people choose to mow lawns .... what's racist about that?

I'm the first one to abhor racism but I didn't find this comment offensive at all ..

No jokes are funny unless I tell them.

Watch this:

What's green and skates on ice?

Peggy Flem.

See? Admit it. You laughed.

:pink_elep