View Full Version : Sonics Might Give OKC a New Image

betts
09-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Sonics might give OKC a new image

By Darnell Mayberry Staff Writer
Staff Writer
Harry Mitchell was there, lodged in the thick of a dispute between city and ball club no different than the one between Seattle and the NBA's SuperSonics.
As Mayor of Tempe, Ariz.. from 1978-94, Mitchell, now a congressmen representing Arizona's 5th Congressional district, was a pioneer in luring the NFL's St. Louis Cardinals to Arizona in 1988. He heard the same rumblings then about his city "looting” the Cardinals. The same brand some have put on Oklahoma City now that an Oklahoma-based ownership group has threatened to move the Sonic here.

"I don't see how you can blame Oklahoma for that,” Mitchell said. "I don't think there would be a black eye for Oklahoma at all. I think Oklahoma just wants to step up and be in the big leagues. It's ready to be in that elite group that has a professional team. I think it says a lot for Oklahoma.”

With little progress on an arena agreement in Seattle and an Oct. 31 deadline looming, Oklahoma City could become the latest city to have its image altered by the addition of a major league franchise. Recent developments in Seattle, however, have shifted the momentum in Seattle's favor of keeping its oldest team. According to reports, Sonics chairman Clay Bennett toured Muckleshoot Indian Tribe-owned Emerald Downs racetrack in suburban Seattle earlier this week in an attempt to find a suitable arena location. Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire has selected three Seattle-area business leaders, including two from Microsoft and Boeing, to discuss potential arena options. According to the Seattle Times, Bennett has also said he would not file for relocation on Nov. 1 in an effort to not overshadow the basketball team's season opener.

If the Sonics do land in Oklahoma next year, many say their arrival will not tarnish Oklahoma City's image. In fact, the team is expected to help change negative perceptions across the country.

Kevin Kane, CEO and president of the Memphis Convention and Visitor's Bureau, remembers when the NBA's Vancouver Grizzlies relocated to Memphis in 2001 despite having four years left on their GM Place lease. "You can't blame a city for wanting to offer great amenities for their citizens,” Kane said. "If there are franchises available in major league sports and you feel like that's a good opportunity for your city and a team is looking to relocate anyway, I certainly don't think that it's the fault of a Memphis or an Oklahoma City to pursue those opportunities. "In the case of us with the Vancouver Grizzlies, (team owner) Michael Heisley was leaving Vancouver...It wasn't a question of if. It was a question of when.”

The Cardinals' relocation most closely resembles the Sonics' current state. Like the Sonics, who have a storied 40-year history in Seattle, the Cardinals moved to Arizona after 28 years in St. Louis. Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill, much like Sonics chairman Clay Bennett is promising, relocated his team (despite years still remaining on the lease) when St. Louis government leaders refused to build a new stadium, while Phoenix vowed to build the Cardinals a new stadium. "It's not the city's (fault), it's the owners,” Mitchell said. The owners see a better opportunity. That's the bad thing. These owners play these cities off each other like this. And to a certain extent, because people see the value in (sports franchises), these teams can make these cities compete for where they're going to be. "I think in Oklahoma, since this would be their only major league sport, it will just have a great fan base and it will do a lot for the image of Oklahoma.”

Los Angeles Times NBA writer Mark Heisler, who has covered the NBA for 24 years, said he doesn't think national media would view Oklahoma City negatively if the Sonics relocated here, "They've been negotiating and negotiating,” Heisler said. "I think everybody understands that Seattle just hasn't done anything for them. So I don't think that's going to be a problem. I think Clay Bennett might have a bit of a credibility problem. "(The ownership group) is definitely going to have to take some kidding. The fact that (they're not moving to) San Francisco, New York or Los Angeles is definitely going to get mentioned.”

Heisler thinks the addition of a major league team could boost Oklahoma City's reputation and help the city separate itself from a group of about 10 other cities similar in size. "It's a part of your image, so it helps,” Heisler said. "But it's only a part of your image.” But it's the kind of help Oklahoma City officials have longed for.

Mike Carrier, president of Oklahoma City's Convention and Visitor's Bureau, hears the same perceptions of Oklahoma City no matter where he travels or to whom he speaks with. "Most people don't think of Oklahoma City as having a skyline,” said Carrier. "They think we're in the middle of a dust bowl. They think the weather here is terrible, that we have tornadoes all the time. There are misperceptions about things of that nature. They don't perceive this area perhaps as being as sophisticated as it is.” A major league sports team, Carrier and others say, can help change that image. A successful sports franchise could signal stability for corporations looking to move into a market. It could add to the quality of life and be used as a selling point for existing businesses looking to attract employees. Nationally televised games often spotlight a city's offerings and developments, and more subtle publicity like newspaper box scores could put a positive perspective of Oklahoma City into the minds of millions across the country.

"Our reputation has been branded by its tragedies,” said Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett. "And this is something that we've allowed to happen. In our part of the country it's not so much of an issue, but on the East and West Coast people either have no compelling image of us or it's one that's been illustrated by the tragedies that we've endured. And a sports team can help change that. So I think it's significant.”

Roy Williams, CEO and president of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, said acquiring a major league team is an important step in keeping Oklahoma City flourishing. "What we aspire to do, and it's not just in sports, is move Oklahoma City up to the next level of competition as it relates to tourism and conventions,” Williams said. "Not just in image, not just in sports, but also in conventions and as a considered destination, we want to merge onto a higher platform in the United States and move to a tier two level city. "To do that, we're going to learn that there's multiple things that you have to do. And we think sports is obviously one piece of it.”

y_h
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
The Cardinals' relocation most closely resembles the Sonics' current state. Like the Sonics, who have a storied 40-year history in Seattle, the Cardinals moved to Arizona after 28 years in St. Louis. Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill, much like Sonics chairman Clay Bennett is promising, relocated his team (despite years still remaining on the lease) when St. Louis government leaders refused to build a new stadium, while Phoenix vowed to build the Cardinals a new stadium. "It's not the city's (fault), it's the owners,” Mitchell said. The owners see a better opportunity. That's the bad thing. These owners play these cities off each other like this. And to a certain extent, because people see the value in (sports franchises), these teams can make these cities compete for where they're going to be.

This really isn't true. Bennett and his group have tried to work with the folks in Washington on an acceptable stadium deal. Bidwill never negotiated in good faith with anyone in St. Louis or the state of Missouri. He simply went on this ridiculous road show to Phoenix, Jacksonville, Oakland, Baltimore and I believe Shreveport, trying to see who wanted his team the most. The St. Louis representatives offered up a stadium proposal in a very convenient and proximate suburb but Bidwill wanted a development downtown. Local politicians went to work on a funding package which was ultimately passed and resulted in the construction of the Ed Jones Dome - a structure which was completed eleven years before Bidwill got his promised stadium in a very remote suburb of Phoenix, I might add. St. Louis tried to work with Bidwill and passed legislation to fund a stadium on the first try - unfortunately he was already on his way to Arizona when the bill passed. Bennett's group has made much more of a good faith effort to keep the Sonics in place than Bidwell ever did.

Comparing Bennett's group to Bill Bidwill is a tremendous insult to Bennett's group. McClendon's comments aside, the ownership group has never made a public spectacle out of their negotiations with other cities and venues. Bidwill was very public with his travels and made sure that there was a press contingency at whatever airport at which he was arriving. Bidwill was a total ass whereas Bennett has made every effort to show some class.

I have no information on which to base my beliefs, but I believe Bennett and his group purchased the Sonics with the intent to bring NBA basketball to OKC but not necessarily the Sonics. If there was really a legitimate chance for Seattle to retain the team (and let's not forget David Stern wrote Seattle off a couple of years ago when this arena debate was first fought and lost by Howard Schultz) then the NBA would have probably gone to Bennett's group with a deal to find a new owner for the Sonics in exchange for an OKC expansion franchise agreement. The NHL did this in 1990 when the owners of the Minnesota North Stars announced they were moving the team to the Bay Area. The NHL offered to find a new owner for the Stars (which they did, and then the team wound up in Dallas 3 years later) and gave the Gunds a franchise which became the San Jose Sharks. Alternatively, Bennett's group might have worked out a deal to swap the Sonics with another ownership group in a shaky market (Memphis, Charlotte) and then moved that team to OKC. There have been a number of opportunities for Seattle to make a wholehearted effort to save their team -- they simply haven't done it and it's not fair to place all the blame on ownership despite their geographic pedigree.

betts
09-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I couldn't agree more.