View Full Version : Would you take your family to this type of a clinic?

Easy180
09-07-2007, 04:15 PM
First....Look at Moore go....First of these in the entire state

Don't have any kids so I'm wondering if those of you them would take them to this sort of place...I'm one who thinks the nurses actually do most of the work in a doctors office anyway and wouldn't be too concerned about this type of place for minor ailments

Thoughts?

By Jim Stafford
Business Writer

MOORE — The health care alternatives expanded Wednesday beyond a scheduled doctor's appointment or a visit to the emergency room for customers who walked into the CVS Pharmacy at 1040 SW 19 in Moore.

The state's first MinuteClinic opened in the pharmacy, offering walk-up medical care for a limited menu of health care conditions to the metro area population. The clinic is the first of seven planned by MinuteClinic in Oklahoma City area CVS Pharmacies, said Michael Howe, the chief executive officer of the Minneapolis-based health care clinics.

For the price of an insurance co-pay or an average of $59 for a cash-paying patient visit, the clinic offers treatment by nurse practitioners who are trained to diagnose, treat and write prescriptions for common family illnesses such as strep throat and ear, eye, sinus, bladder and bronchial infections.

A subsidiary of CVS, MinuteClinic operates 240 retail clinics — which it calls "health care centers” — around the nation, the first opening seven years ago. MinuteClinics already have seen more than a million patients, Howe said.

"We represent about half the retail clinics around the country,” Howe said. "It's an access point to simple, common family ailments that consumers absolutely love once they try it. We have an exceptional customer satisfaction rate.”

The MinuteClinics in Oklahoma are operated under a strategic alliance with Integris Health, which provides the clinics' medical director.

The nurse practitioners who staff the clinics all operate under the authority of collaborating physicians, which permits them to write prescriptions for patients. About three nurse practitioners are employed at each clinic, Howe said.

Manager of operations for Oklahoma City is Cheryl Hooper, a nurse practitioner who previously worked for the Veterans Administration.

The Moore clinic features two patients' rooms and uses about 185 square feet of space in the pharmacy. It is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.

"We will probably see some mothers with children who can't take off work and need to come in after hours because we're open until 8 in the evening and it's convenient,” Hooper said. "It's probably going to be people who don't want to take off work and can't take off work.”

MinuteClinic is an "in-network” health care provider for many insurance plans, including Aetna, Assurant Health, Medicare and a host of preferred provider plans.

Two nurse practitioners staffed the clinic on opening day, although by noon they had yet to see their first patient. That will change. The average MinuteClinic sees about 30 patients per day, a spokeswoman said.

MinuteClinic has served as a template for copycat clinics, including Quick Clinic, which opened several locations earlier this year but quickly closed when financing did not materialize, founder Fred Minter said.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to open 400 clinics nationwide in its retail stores and already operates two in Oklahoma, one each in Owasso and Broken Arrow.

The concept of walk-in health care provided by nurse practitioners challenges the traditional model of medical care offered by physician-staffed clinics.

But for what the clinics offer in convenience, they lack in scope of service, medical training and in their mission, said Dr. James Dixson, president of Mercy Health Networks, which operates seven clinics in the Oklahoma City area.

"Every individual needs to have a physician they can call their primary physician, who knows their problems and knows their family,” Dixson said. "And that is not what you are going to find in these kind of operations.

"They try to limit their costs, so they are going to limit their services. Quality of care is an issue I would worry about if I were a consumer.”

However, Howe said MinuteClinic has received accreditation by a medical accreditation organization that looks at quality of care at hospitals, clinics and ambulatory centers. The clinics use electronic records for every patient and treatment step, he said.

"We took that (electronic) system a step further and actually imbedded the best practice treatment guidelines for each of the conditions we treat into the medical record protocol,” Howe said. "So, what we have done is we have created a decision support tool for the practitioner to ensure the highest level of care is delivered in the clinic.”

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Well now I know what CVS to NOT go to.

I don't want sneezing kid-cooties on me.

:D

rugbybrado
09-07-2007, 04:34 PM
thats a awesome idea. i have bluelincs but being single (and rairly getting service over my yearly deducatable) this is a awesome alternative for minor things that you would normally need to -

-take off work
-wait for 45 minutes in the waiting room
-wait another 30 minutes in the office to see a dr for 4 minutes
-have them charge your insurance 190 dollars for the 4 minutes you actually met with the dr(or in my experince a PA)
-and then drive to go get your prescription

the prices they charge are crazy and i dont understand how they even could possibly justify it for the actual time that you actually deal with a dr/pa.

ShiroiHikari
09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
This is an awesome idea. I don't have insurance or much money, so I usually have to go all the way to Ada to see a doctor at Carl Albert. One time I had to drive all the way down there and wait for hours and hours just to get some meds for a UTI. I knew it was a UTI, but no, I had to sit there and wait for them to tell me that. So something like this would be extremely helpful.

Karried
09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea as well. Yes, I would take my children there for some of their less serious symptoms.

soonerfaithful
09-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I think it's great for the run of the mill sickness. It would never fail on Friday afternoons one of my kids would suddenly come down with a ear infection or strep. This would get them on the path to recovery right away.

betts
09-07-2007, 10:54 PM
The big problem is that any clinic like this is going to operate with time constraints. Giving people antibiotics, even when they don't need them increases customer satisfaction and speeds patient movement through the clinic.

"I've got a sore throat." "Oh, let me give you a prescription for penicillin" is much faster than explaining why adults with sore throats almost never need antibiotics, and why children shouldn't get antibiotics for a sore throat without a strep screen, or explaining why you think someone has a virus and why viruses shouldn't be treated with antibiotics. Also, since the clinic is associated with a pharmacy, there may be some pressure on the physician to prescribe as well. I guarantee you will see an increase in people being diagnosed with sinus infections, rather than allergic sinusitus, which is 100 times more common, antibiotics being given when a child has a fever "to keep them from getting pneumonia" or an ear infection, etc. It's bad medicine, and increases antibiotic resisitance, but it's what people think they want.

Clock4869
09-08-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm with Betts on this as well. Except on one thing. I don't believe there will be pressure on a physician directly because it will be nurse practioners and P.A.'s that run these clinics. Don't get me wrong from what i understand they will be operating under a physicians license, but it will be something like 1 physician for a bunch of these little clinics. I doubt the Doc will even review the charts before signing off on it anyway. It just seems that without continuity of care and patient history there will be a high probability for missing something. I understand the appeal, but i'm still very cautious.

Maybe more incentives for people entering the medical field to choose family medicine instead of more lucrative specialities is the solution rather than these quick clinics. I'm sure that's a much broader debate though.

BailJumper
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, like there is no pressure on a doctor to prescribe one medication over another. I have family members who are drug reps and the perks they give these doctors is incredible.

soonerfaithful
09-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Most doctors don't sign off on patient records that a P.A. has seen till long after the patient has left and then they hardly read the records.

My sister is a P.A. out of state in a emergency room. There are doctors there but they don't see the records if it's non life threatening till the end of the shift and then they just sign off on it. Same thing in most doctor office's.

I hope there is enough record keeping to know if someone has a history of faking sickness to just get some drugs.

soonerfan21
09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
I agree, that most of the so-called "run-of-the-mill" illnesses that people go to doctors invariably turn into something else. My daughter is also a PA and she says a great majority of people come in for say. "runny nose" and then start talking about major depression symptoms. As she works in a doctor's office, they do offer continuity of care.

rugbybrado
09-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Most doctors don't sign off on patient records that a P.A. has seen till long after the patient has left and then they hardly read the records.

My sister is a P.A. out of state in a emergency room. There are doctors there but they don't see the records if it's non life threatening till the end of the shift and then they just sign off on it. Same thing in most doctor office's.

I hope there is enough record keeping to know if someone has a history of faking sickness to just get some drugs.

But on that same note - all that these places will offer is things like anti-bitotics. No really getting getting high off of those.

bombermwc
09-10-2007, 07:46 AM
I prefer the doctor since, oh you know, he graduated from med school and all. If it's going to cost $60, which is what I pay for my insured visits, why would I not want to go to a real doctor instead of a practitioner? And why would I not want a doctor's office instead of the 7-11?

Karried
09-10-2007, 11:02 AM
If it's going to cost $60, which is what I pay for my insured visits, why would I not want to go to a real doctor instead of a practitioner?

I think this service is catering to the under or uninsured.

If you have insurance, by all means go to your MD.. but for those who don't, this might make the difference between getting medical care for their kids or not.

I know a few people who are in med school. Suffice it to say, I'd take my chances with a practitioner.

I've visited many a practitioner and they are very qualified and most are very compassionate, down to earth and unassuming.

rugbybrado
09-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I prefer the doctor since, oh you know, he graduated from med school and all. If it's going to cost $60, which is what I pay for my insured visits, why would I not want to go to a real doctor instead of a practitioner? And why would I not want a doctor's office instead of the 7-11?

i think the main appeal of it is when people get simple colds/ congestion that its alot more convient to go visit a pharmacy with nurse practitioners(i personally have seen the shift where nurses and PA now have the majority of workload in dr's offices anyway) instead of going through the whole ordeal that it is to visit a dr

-long waiting room times
-long waits once you are in the office
-see the dr for no more than 5 minutes

= alot of time off work. im salaried, but in the past when ive had a sore throat and ive had a dr appt at 2pm(so leave work around 1:30) and i waited until 3:20 to see a dr. then had to drive to the pharmacy afterwards and i still didnt get home until past 4 pm, i can think of better things to do when i take time off of work.

I know the problem is compounded for anyone with kids in school. I agree it shouldnt be anyones main healthcare provider, but i think its a good solution to help clear up all the long wait times for the people who are feeling worse and need to see a dr asap.

MadMonk
09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
i think the main appeal of it is when people get simple colds/ congestion that its alot more convient to go visit a pharmacy with nurse practitioners(i personally have seen the shift where nurses and PA now have the majority of workload in dr's offices anyway) instead of going through the whole ordeal that it is to visit a dr

-long waiting room times
-long waits once you in the office
-see the dr for no more than 5 minutes

= alot of time off work. im salaried, but in the past when ive had a sore throat and ive had a dr appt at 2pm(so leave work around 1:30) and i waited until 3:20 to see a dr. then had to drive to the pharmacy afterwards and i still didnt get home until past 4 pm, i can think of better things to do when i take time off of work.

I know the problem is compounded for anyone with kids in school. I agree it shouldnt be anyones main healthcare provider, but i think its a good solution to help clear up all the long wait times for the people who are feeling worse and need to see a dr asap.
Not to mention that it may help reduce the waiting times in the DR.'s office for those that really need a doctor by reducing routine visits that don't really need a busy Dr.'s attention.