View Full Version : 3:10 to Yuma

Easy180
09-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Just got back from checking this movie out and it is one of the better Westerns

I would say it's even better than the king of all Westerns.....Young Guns :LolLolLol

Russell Crowe and Christian Bale were both excellent as usual...Crowe plays the bad dude with a very slight hint of a conscience and Bale plays the down and out rancher...Sorry ladies no hint of Brokeback Mountain in this one :053:

Overall I would give it a 4 out of five

One bad thing was the ticket price....$7 for a 1:10 matinee on a Friday...Guessing it was due to it being the opening day of the film?

jbrown84
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
This was a great film. The story unfold so perfectly that you really don't fully understand the characters or their motivations until the very end.

8/10 or A-

MadMonk
09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Nonsense, the king of all westerns is Unforgiven. ;)

3:10 to Yuma looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out.

Misty
09-11-2007, 12:26 PM
You are all wrong....the King of All Westerns is Red River. I loves me some John Wayne. Rio Bravo comes in a close second, John Wayne, Dean Martin AND Ricky Nelson? I mean come on, does it get any better than that?

metro
09-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Tombstone

Karried
09-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Brokeback Mountain

( I kid, I kid!)

Actually, I liked that movie but I'm not much of a Western movie watcher anyhow.

traxx
09-11-2007, 03:12 PM
How does it compare to the original?

An Aussie and a Brit in a Western though? Just doesn't seem right to me. That's like casting Larry the Cable Guy in a Harry Potter movie.

jbrown84
09-11-2007, 03:28 PM
At least it wasn't shot in Italy...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Nonsense, the king of all westerns is Unforgiven. ;)

3:10 to Yuma looks pretty good. I'll have to check it out.

You are all wrong....the King of All Westerns is Red River. I loves me some John Wayne. Rio Bravo comes in a close second, John Wayne, Dean Martin AND Ricky Nelson? I mean come on, does it get any better than that?

Tombstone

You're all on crack.

The best western of all time is actually a tie between Blazing Saddles and The Frisco Kid.

Dark Jedi
09-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Silverado, no contest.

California L33
09-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Of course the question is- is it better than the original? I'm always wary of re-makes and the "improvements" that are always added.

jbrown84
09-17-2007, 05:53 PM
The original isn't a particularly highly regarded film. Most critics are saying this improves on the original.

Jack Wonder
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Finally saw 3:10 over the weekend. Unfortunately, I was EXHAUSTED from a long day of garage-saling, OSU-watching, Olive Garden eating activities!! :( Add insult to injury, we went to the 10:10pm screening at AMC....I was SOOO tired throughout the movie, it was hard to appreciate what I was watching, let alone stay awake.

Now I'm not going to say it was a bad movie, because I was not in the correct frame of mind to judge, but I would say it falls beneath most of the modern classics.

And in other double-rediculous news, the end of the movie was interrupted when a theater patron started raising hell vocally towards a small group of people who'd been kicking his chair and chit-chatting throughout the movie!!?

The incident surely pulled the entire audience out of 3:10 just as the climactic end was setting up! And once the movie ended the man continued his tyrade towards the noisy threesome. I thought it was going to come to fisticuffs, but we never got to that point. Too bad. It was also too bad that I didn't go to the front to demand reparations for the incident! But I was too tired, and just needed to get home and get to bead.

But as for the movie, from what I can remember, the cinematography was gorgeous, as were the key performances by Bale, Crowe, Fonda, and others..

Ginkasa
09-25-2007, 12:14 AM
It was also too bad that I didn't go to the front to demand reparations for the incident!

I hope by "demand' you really meant "politely explain the situation to a suitable employee in the hopes of receiving compensation for the disturbance." There's nothing more frustrating than someone yelling at you because you didn't stop a disturbance no one told you about (which, BTW, is what that guy should have done; done to the front and ask for someone to talk to or even kick the kids out instead of yelling and ruining everyone's experience.)

Next time you should go to Harkins ;)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-25-2007, 03:43 AM
I hope by "demand' you really meant "politely explain the situation to a suitable employee in the hopes of receiving compensation for the disturbance." There's nothing more frustrating than someone yelling at you because you didn't stop a disturbance no one told you about (which, BTW, is what that guy should have done; done to the front and ask for someone to talk to or even kick the kids out instead of yelling and ruining everyone's experience.)

I had a horrible time at Harkin's a few days ago when the g/f and I went there. The movie shut off right after the previews, yet evidently continued to play. By the time they figured it out, we had to sit through the previews twice, and the movie itself didn't start until almost 45 minutes after it's start time.

They gave all 10 people in that theater a coupon for free popcorn.

BTW...Rush Hour 3 kinda stinks.

Jack Wonder
09-25-2007, 11:34 AM

I was at Harkins last week for the sneak preview screening of Eastern Promises. The projector shut down three times before people started leaving. It was an embarrassment for viewers, the radio stations hosting the show, and Harkins.

All that to say I'll continue to go to both, but they each have their disappointing moments.

Karried
01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
oh my goodness..... that was by far the best movie I have seen in a lonnnggggg time... wow, wow, wow. Spectacular performances.... I am in love with Christian Bale after this movie.. heavy sigh.. what a great flick.

5/5 Stars for me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
oh my goodness..... that was by far the best movie I have seen in a lonnnggggg time... wow, wow, wow. Spectacular performances.... I am in love with Christian Bale after this movie.. heavy sigh.. what a great flick.

5/5 Stars for me.

Go rent The Machinist (NOT for the kiddos). He plays that role to the hilt...He's beyond creepy skinny in it too.

FritterGirl
01-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Go rent The Machinist (NOT for the kiddos). He plays that role to the hilt...He's beyond creepy skinny in it too.

Amen on the Machinist. Interesting story, great performance by Bale, and great twist at the end. It's one you really have to "digest" for a while, then go back and see it again to see if you can then pick up any hints from the beginning.

A fascinating film! And I agree, definitely NOT for the faint of heart. Bale really goes the distance in prepping for this role. And it's all real.

jbrown84
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
The Machinist is the BEST Hitchcock movie not directed by Hitchcock.