View Full Version : Cruise to Greece?

Karried
09-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I know we have a lot of world travelers on board...

Question?

Anyone have recommendations for a cruise to Greece next year?

We're planning a trip with our best friends ( we're all celebrating our 20 year wedding anniversary and decided to go on a cruise to Greece (and surrounding areas) together) ...

I've looked into and it looks amazing but it is pretty pricey.. the flight alone from OKC to Venice, Italy (port) is 3K and then add on a 12 day cruise - yikes! ... so does anyone have any experience with Mediterrean or European Cruises?

I've cruised Mexico and Caribbean quite a bit but never Europe... any experienced travelers with advice out there?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Dang....It would be cheaper to join the Navy!

Karried
09-07-2007, 06:28 AM
ha,ha.. lol, that's an idea!

Free meals, free cruises, free sniper rifles..

I'm in!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Plus you get several free pairs of those bangin' bell bottoms.

Not to mention the Gilligan hats.

Midtowner
09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Karried, the flight is 3K? You should perhaps try a different airport. Milan isn't that far away from Venice.

Venice itself is a sparsely populated city (most of the homes there are not occupied). It's more a tourist playground than anything else.... that said, it's a simply amazing place.

The cruise sounds great though. Do it.

Karried
09-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I should have clarified... 3K for two people.. great idea though... go to another airport and taxi in .. it might save quite a bit.. I have to admit I was pretty shocked at the airfare. I expected a 12 day cruise to be pricey but the flight itself was surprising.

But, I am of the mindset that we do only live once and our 20 year anniversary deserves some celebration. We're not taking the kiddos ( we'd have to sell the house to do so, lol) so I am already getting excited about this trip.. and it's a year away! That's the beauty of long term planning. ... you can pay it off in installments! ha,ha.

Rifleman2C
09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I know we have a lot of world travelers on board...

Question?

Anyone have recommendations for a cruise to Greece next year?

We're planning a trip with our best friends ( we're all celebrating our 20 year wedding anniversary and decided to go on a cruise to Greece (and surrounding areas) together) ...

I've looked into and it looks amazing but it is pretty pricey.. the flight alone from OKC to Venice, Italy (port) is 3K and then add on a 12 day cruise - yikes! ... so does anyone have any experience with Mediterrean or European Cruises?

I've cruised Mexico and Caribbean quite a bit but never Europe... any experienced travelers with advice out there?

Karried,

Yep, Med Cruises are expensive. Even if you live over here in Europe they can get you flustered on just the 'fees' alone.

But in the long run, it just doesn't matter... you will make more money. But you'll never make more memories of places you have been unless you have been there.

Go! Enjoy! Convert your Dollars to Euros and spend what you want! And talk about it later to your friends and family... most likely, they will want to go, too.

Karried
09-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks Rifleman2! I need encouragement!

It is a big occasion but sometimes it's easy for me to spend money on other people but not on myself!

I've wanted to go to Europe my whole life so it's probably a good time to go.. who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Are you in Europe now?

Rifleman2C
09-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Am I in Europe? ... yes, I am! I currently live in southcentral Belgium, near a small city named Mons. That will only last for another nine months or so, so I plan on trying my best (around my dastardly work schedule) to see what I can in the remainder of my time here.

The weather isn't so great, but the beer and the food are downright memorable.

Karried
09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
You must be in the military.... call me Sherlock Holmes .. lol. Free travel, you can't beat that!

Have a brew for me!

Rifleman2C
09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Military? Well, with a screen name like Rifleman, you'd at least have a 50/50 shot of being right with that statement.

Yep... the travel is 'free', I suppose. But there is a price for all this 'free' travel... just ask my wife. We've been doing this together for just over two decades. And most of the travel is certainly not to what one might call 'vacation destinations'.

But I'll admit, I seem to have that right now, so you won't hear a peep of complaint out of me.