View Full Version : Oldest Bar in Okc??

okclee
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
What is the oldest bar or drinking establishment in Okc??

flintysooner
09-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Always heard it was Eischen's in Okarche.

windowphobe
09-06-2007, 05:26 PM
If you limit it to the city itself, Sipango (b. 1936) seems to be a reasonable contender, though it's forty years younger than Eischen's.

rugbybrado
09-06-2007, 05:37 PM
eischens....if you've never been GO!!

okclee
09-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Sipango, 1936, that is a good start. Are there others in Okc??

I know about Eischens, (excellent by the way), but I am thinking more of the oldest in Oklahoma City or at least the metro area.

I would think that with Okc being an old oil and cattle town that there would be some kind of historic saloon somewhere in the Okc metro.

Midtowner
09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
As far as buildings go, I know that the present County Line BBQ used to house the famous "Kentucky Club" -- a former speakeasy. They had curtains on all the booths, a dance floor out and the middle and big band music all night long. ETA: My grandmother used to go there quite a bit.

Midtowner
09-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Here's the most I could find on it:

4/15/2006

Gangsters, Ghosts and Barbecue: The County Line's Colorful History Lingers Decades Later

Oklahoma City, Okla. –The County Line Bar-B-Q in Oklahoma City's Adventure District is not only known for great food and a unique atmosphere, but is hauntingly out of the ordinary!

During its storied history The County Line has been home to speakeasies, nightclubs and several eating establishments since the 1920s. The County Line isn't just another barbecue joint; you may eat your meal with some unexpected guests. Local legend has it a murdered man's spirit still wanders the building late at night.

Two Oklahoma paranormal teams, Ghouli and PROS Investigation, have monitored The County Line for ghostly activity since 2004. Both teams report paranormal activity upstairs and downstairs, declaring The County Line an official haunted site.

The ghost sightings originate from one of the facility's most notable establishments, The Kentucky Club. Tony Maneres, a Greek immigrant who moved to Oklahoma City with his wife, Winnie, entertained their first guests at The Kentucky Club one sultry summer night in 1939.

The club quickly became known as a "speakeasy," a place where the most select personalities like governors, doctors and lawyers could go to gamble and imbibe liquor. The club gained a notorious reputation due to the many raids by law enforcement officials who confiscated everything from slot machines to gambling dice.

The County Line staff members know the legends by heart. Brenda Harper, the current general manager, recalls the story of a well-known club member.

"A man known as Russell was a regular at the club until one evening when his wife burst into the club and caught him illegally drinking and gambling," said Harper. "He was murdered in front of the fireplace."

Decades later, the once infamous facility is home to one of Oklahoma's most famous barbecue restaurants. Guests can still enjoy a cool 1940s atmosphere. Sit in one of the many private rooms previously used for eating, drinking and a little illegal gambling. But remember, if the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, one of The County Line's ghostly guests may have joined you for dinner.

The County Line is located just two blocks west of the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum on NE 63rd St. in Oklahoma City's Adventure District. The restaurant is opened for lunch and dinner seven days a week.

Oklahoma City's Adventure District is your place for a delicious time. For more information on attractions, call (405) 290-PLAY or visit Oklahoma City's Adventure District - vacations, travel, entertainment (http://www.okcadventure.com).

MadMonk
09-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I didn't even know we had an "Adventure District". :cool:

metro
09-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Always heard it was Eischen's in Okarche.

Eichens isn't in OKC. He was specifically asking in OKC, not the state.

okclee
09-10-2007, 10:49 AM
I know when you go to other cities, it seems like they all have old pubs and bars that are still nice places to visit and get a drink and relax. A type of place that your dad went to and his dad also went to.

Someone from out of town asked where an old bar / pub in Okc is at that I would suggest?, and I drew a blank.

Midtowner
09-10-2007, 12:15 PM
The Blue Note has been there forever.

Centerback
09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I could be mistaken but I believe that Eischen's claim of oldest "bar" in Oklahoma was based only on the actual wood bar and not the establishment itself.

John
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I could be mistaken but I believe that Eischen's claim of oldest "bar" in Oklahoma was based only on the actual wood bar and not the establishment itself.

Correct.

I used to know the answer to the bar that has been in operation for the longest amount of time, but I'm currently having a brain fart. :053:

CS_Mike
09-11-2007, 12:42 PM
According to the Paseo website, the Red Rooster Bar & Grill is the oldest bar and grill in OKC. The MySpace page for the place lists it as being 79 years old. That would put its founding in 1927-28.

I cannot attest to the accuracy of this claim though.

Dustbowl
03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
According to the Paseo website, the Red Rooster Bar & Grill is the oldest bar and grill in OKC. The MySpace page for the place lists it as being 79 years old. That would put its founding in 1927-28.

I cannot attest to the accuracy of this claim though.

There is a dive bar at N. May and 16th called the Bali Hai. Its been there as a beer bar with different owners since the thirties. I know the owner and hang there sometimes just to see what happens.

Redskin 70
03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
The Frog Pond on SE 29th Past Douglas
Our Nic-name for it is th Ass kick bar:tiphat:

okclee
03-19-2008, 08:15 PM
How old is the frog pond bar??

Redskin 70
03-20-2008, 06:49 AM
About 1950, give or take a few days:tiphat:

Now Charlie Floyds place was a real speak easy from the pre war.
It was on Central off SE 22.
Barred doors peap hole, i t had the whole thing.
Dad used to tell me such stories about that place.:tiphat: