View Full Version : Sooner Fans Among Least Educated in the Nation

rugbybrado
08-31-2007, 11:13 AM
USA Today
Friday, August 24, 2007

Jump on The Bandwagon; Literally: Sooner Fans Among Least Educated

Norman, OK – A new study released last month by the Sports Statistics Foundation, a research and statistical think-tank based in Dallas, Texas, shows that Sooner fans are among the least educated in the nation, and dead last in the Big 12.

The study was commissioned by the Big 12 last year to assist the sports marketing department. "We thought the information would be valuable in determining where to place our TV, radio, and print advertisements", said Bill Brenner, Big 12 Executive Director, "but we never expected these results."

The study looked at the percentage of each school's fans that have a college education. Only 4.7% of sports fans identifying themselves with The University of Oklahoma had completed a college degree, lowest among the Big 12 teams. OU ranked in the lower 5th percentile nationally. Additionally OU ranked 3rd in the nation in number of high school dropouts claiming allegiance to the school as a percentage of the total fan base.

The survey results were both good and bad for the State of Oklahoma. Oddly enough the study showed the Oklahoma State University had some of the most educated fans. According to Brenner this wasn't so surprising, "OSU is known nationally and internationally for several programs that are consistently recognized for their quality. It's not all about cows and corn there in Stillwater."

OU fans, get ready. Change is on the way. "Due to the surprising results, we're going to have to reevaluate our entire advertising campaign", says Joe Castiglione, University of Oklahoma Athletic Director. "Historically our strategy has been to target wealthy, educated professionals in an attempt to increase season ticket holder revenue which carries higher profit-margins. Now we see a more targeted economic class approach being appropriate, focusing on the low-income, uneducated fan base."

What does that mean for the fans in Norman? "We'll have to explore more non-traditional ad spaces, says Castiglione. We've started a pilot program in two separate trailer parks in the OKC metro area in an attempt to increase the Sooner brand awareness there, passing out OU car flags and lawn signs to residents. We've also purchased ad space in several gentlemen's clubs."

These tactics may seem extreme and even bizarre, but this could be just the tip of the iceberg according to Castiglione, "We've just begun to explore innovative advertising for the low-income, low-education demographic. We're currently in discussions the Oklahoma State Prison system about providing free televised OU football games, as well as plasma TVs in exchange for exclusive broadcasting rights within the State's prison system."

It's hard to say if the campaign will be successful according to Brenner, "We commissioned the study to help schools generate athletic revenue through improved marketing. How they choose to implement ad campaigns is up to them. Though I can't imagine the prisoner fan-base is the way to go. I wouldn't want to be known as the official school of the state penitentiary".

-Stanley Greer is an AP sportswriter covering college and Olympic athletics and can be reached at sgreer@usatoday.com

Discuss -

Midtowner
08-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Nice fake story.

I googled the title... the only other place this story appears is in some thread on orangepower.com.

There's nothing to discuss -- the story is fake.

CuatrodeMayo
08-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Just did the same...faux.

MadMonk
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
The REAL question is did the poster know it was fake? Likely so, but I have my doubts.

Rifleman2C
08-31-2007, 01:31 PM
The REAL question is did the poster know it was fake? Likely so, but I have my doubts.

Well, this should be a fun thread! Whatcha got, Brado? (not that we are trying to single anyone out or anything...)

rugbybrado
08-31-2007, 02:27 PM
someone already posted that i found it on the orangepower board - the advertising in trailer parks and strip clubs really sets it off as a fake

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
- the advertising in trailer parks and strip clubs really sets it off as a fake

I thought trailers and strip clubs were OSU recruitment tools.

Midtowner
09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Colorado actually.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Nah, I lived there...They just say "John Elway" and a line forms.

They also think that all their problems are caused by the Californians moving there.

Karried
09-01-2007, 07:34 AM
For a minute there my heart dropped.

ad47aw
09-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Doug Gottlieb thought it was real. He has quoted it on the air.

Midtowner
09-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Doug Gottlieb thought it was real. He has quoted it on the air.

hahaha douche..

soonerfan21
09-21-2007, 06:36 AM
I love how all the OSU folks jump on the bandwagon without checking the story out first . . . I have received it several times from O-State "friends" and they assume it is real. But then I get the supreme pleasure of telling them it is a fake story!:fighting3

Midtowner
09-21-2007, 07:14 AM
UNIQUE CHILD CUSTODY PROCEEDING IN STILLWATER

September 17th, 2007

AP - STILLWATER, OK:

A seven year old boy at the center of a custody fight in Stillwater, Oklahoma was given a unique choice usually reserved for older children in custody battles. He got to choose his custodial parents.

"Typically, we don't allow the child to select their custodial parent until they're a little older. Usually 13 or 14" said local attorney Felix McCarthy.

The child had been subject to repeated domestic abuse at the hands of both parents following a DHS investigation. Temporary custody was awarded to the child's aunt. Following an in-chambers interview, however, the child told the judge that his aunt beat him even more than his parents did. The judge raised the prospect of placing him with his grandparents and to that the boy responded that they beat him even more.

After two days of hearings, the court allowed the boy to be placed with the Oklahoma State University football team. Judge Donald Worthington announced in his order "This Court takes judicial notice that the Oklahoma State University football team is incapable of beating anyone, therefore, in the best interest of the child, the Oklahoma State University football team will be granted full custody."

CuatrodeMayo
09-21-2007, 07:53 AM
OMG! I can't believe the Judge said that!

(haha)

Martin
09-21-2007, 08:00 AM
two words: comedy. genius.

wow, that's a really good one. -M

PUGalicious
09-21-2007, 08:15 AM
It's on par with the original poster's contribution. Juvenile.

Midtowner
09-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Difference: one is good natured humor directed at a team which admittedly can't win.

The other is a personal attack on the fan base.

Don't take it so personal.

--also, while I did write that version, it wasn't my idea. I've read similar versions elsewhere.

PUGalicious
09-21-2007, 08:50 AM
It's juvenile nonetheless.

Midtowner
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Ok. Whatever you say.

CuatrodeMayo
09-21-2007, 09:48 AM
You think that is juvenile...Check out this fan:

YouTube - Lloyd Carr Protest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXmaR_7UYhY)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-21-2007, 09:55 AM
You think that is juvenile...Check out this fan:

YouTube - Lloyd Carr Protest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXmaR_7UYhY)

What a douchecanoe.

ultimatesooner
09-21-2007, 10:15 AM
of course OSU fans all have college diplomas, you can get one from OSU without even being able to read - see dexter manley

Misty
09-21-2007, 12:53 PM
What a douchecanoe.

Maybe, but he's the World's Greatest Dad.

Misty
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
It's juvenile nonetheless.

ICV, are you fka Pugalicious? His old stuff goes to your profile? If not what the hell happened to Pug?

Dave Cook
09-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Clever Dexter Manley retort.

Is it just me or does Oklahoma remind you of Groundhog Day? Leave for 10 years, come back...and see the same jabs back to back to back to back....

For those not keeping score, here's an update;

Aggies - or Aggots, OSucks, BlowSU, etc - hump sheep, sleep in barns, dress like DOC prisoners and somehow remain illiterate despite four years of higher education.

Sooners - or Zero U fans, Gooners, etc - live in trailer houses, sport mullets, drive old Trans Ams, wear Sooner clothing from Wal Mart, are typically white trash variety....and usually never step foot on the campus at any point other than the odd game.

Aggies - have never, do not, nor with they ever have any sort of ability to play football or have any kind of resemblance of 'tradition'. They are a step sister to OU and will never be a rival.

Sooners - the Sooners are the greatest team in the history of college football.

Aggies - cheat.

Sooners - cheat.

I'll stop here for now....this could go days.

What year is it again????? Mine keeps reading 1988....1988....1988....1988....

Midtowner
09-21-2007, 01:11 PM
ICV, are you fka Pugalicious? His old stuff goes to your profile? If not what the hell happened to Pug?

ICV is a serial name changer.

PUGalicious
09-22-2007, 08:17 AM
ICV, are you fka Pugalicious?
Guilty as charged. I got bored with the name PUGalicious.

ICV is a serial name changer.
I've changed it twice. Does that qualify as "serial" now? You seem to have the same grasp for reality Keith used to. Besides, what the hell does it matter to you anyway? Why did you feel the need to answer for me Misty's question to me?

Midtowner
09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
ICV -- calm down buddy.

At this point you have changed your name more than anyone in the history of this BBS. In my opinion (and that's the only one that matters :) ) that qualifies you as serial.

A tad sensitive this morning?

PUGalicious
09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Only to moronic observations.

Midtowner
09-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Only to moronic observations.

How juvenile.

PUGalicious
09-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, your response was. I'm glad you agree.

To the main point, why did you have to butt in to answer a question that was not direct to you? Furthermore, what freakin' difference does it make?

Misty
09-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I like the name Pugalicious, I need a new screen name. Mistalicious.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-27-2007, 10:15 AM
My new one should be "Oh GAWD I Smell Delicious".

Karried
09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
lol...
ogisd .. based on your Foot/DirtySocks post earlier, I'm not sure we're all in agreement on your new user name.

Okay, I'll be HaloIcious!

MadMonk
09-27-2007, 10:58 AM

To the main point, why did you have to butt in to answer a question that was not direct to you? Furthermore, what freakin' difference does it make?
Allow me to butt in. Your name matters because people can relate to you better when they have a history to associate with you. Perhaps that's one of the reasons you wanted to change it - a fresh start from the Scribe/Brad/Pug history(nothing really wrong with that though). What does ICV stand for anyway (not that it freakin' matters of course)? :D

PUGalicious
09-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. :biggrin:

Midtowner
09-27-2007, 11:51 AM

Jesus.. is your next retort "I know you are but what am I"???

PUGalicious
09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm just trying to speak on your level. And please don't call me Jesus.

Misty
09-27-2007, 01:32 PM
My new one should be "Oh GAWD I Smell Delicious".

More like Oh GAWD I Wash My Socks With My Dishes

Midtowner
09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm just trying to speak on your level. And please don't call me Jesus.

Believe me, I wouldn't confuse you with anything holy or pure.

And your insults are becoming more and more odd. Is there something wrong with you today?

PUGalicious
09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Nothing wrong with me. I'm at a loss as to how to respond to your inane comments.

CuatrodeMayo
09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Allow me to butt in. Your name matters because people can relate to you better when they have a history to associate with you. Perhaps that's one of the reasons you wanted to change it - a fresh start from the Scribe/Brad/Pug history(nothing really wrong with that though). What does ICV stand for anyway (not that it freakin' matters of course)? :D

ICV Ileocecal Valve
ICV Incoming Verification
ICV Independent Commanders Viewer
ICV Individual Cell Voltage
ICV Infantry Carrier Vehicle
ICV Infantry Combat Vehicle
ICV Initial Calibration Verification
ICV Inlet Check Valve (automotive)ICVIntegrity Check Value (IETF Authentication Header for IPV6 and V4)
ICV Inter Company Voucher
ICV International Conference Volunteers (Geneva, Switzerland)
ICV International Cruise Victims (advocacy group)
ICV Intracerebroventricular
ICV Inventory Carry Value

PUGalicious
09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
You got it! IntraCerebroVentricular it is.