View Full Version : Colin Powell to speak in metro on Sept. 12th

metro
08-29-2007, 08:25 AM
University of Oklahoma announces upcoming Colin Powell speech, event

8/28/2007

The University of Oklahoma announced today former Secretary of State Colin Powell will speak at the school Sept. 12 presenting “The Challenges Facing America.”
The speech will be at 4 p.m. at Paul F. Sharp Concert Hall in Catlett Music Center and will be open to OU faculty, staff and students with overflow seating available to the public.

Powell -- who last visited OU in 2000 to promote the campus-wide philanthropy Big Event as founding chairman of America’s Promise – The Alliance for Youth -- will also attend a President’s Reception, dialogue and dinner featuring himself and President David L. Boren.

“We’re honored to welcome General Powell to our campus. He is admired not only as a public servant but also because of his work as a civic volunteer in reaching out to help others,” Boren said in a statement. “His wide personal experience at the highest levels of our government give him a unique perspective about the greatest challenges which our country faces in the years ahead.”

rugbybrado
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
what a smart good man - ive always thought highly of him and it sealed the deal when he resigned when bush was pushing for us to go into iraq(which showed as we all found out years later/billions of dollars spend/american lives lost) that the war was completely unfounded and to this day the weapons of mass descruction that still havent been found.

bandnerd
08-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Heard him speak last year at OCU at a Mass Comm. thing. He was witty and grandfather-like. I enjoyed hearing him quite a bit, and my students were so excited.

I was just happy they knew who he was!

Jeopardude
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
what a smart good man - ive always thought highly of him and it sealed the deal when he resigned when bush was pushing for us to go into iraq(which showed as we all found out years later/billions of dollars spend/american lives lost) that the war was completely unfounded and to this day the weapons of mass descruction that still havent been found.

Uh, he resigned AFTER that was accepted as conventional wisdom. He allowed his popularity to be exploited by Bush/Cheney to argue (with faulty cherrypicked intelligence by anonymous defectors) before the U.N. that Saddam sought WMD. He resigned only after Bush won the 2004 election.

I have respect for Gen. Powell, but he's somewhat of a tragic figure in the Bush administration.

soonerguru
08-29-2007, 08:26 PM
rugbybrado,

I hate to puncture your balloon, but Saint Colin did not resign in the run-up to Iraq. Rather, he made an Oscar-worthy performance in front of the UN to drag us into that war.

He staked his personal credibility on that war, and it proved to be a farce.

Colin Powell did nothing to stop Bush or the lying Cheney Junta. He did as he always did throughout his career: suck up to whoever was boss. The so-called "good soldier" had the power to stop that war, but did nothing.

His integrity is forever disgraced.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-30-2007, 01:03 AM
rugbybrado,
The so-called "good soldier" had the power to stop that war, but did nothing.

His integrity is forever disgraced.

While I agree with you somewhat...He didn't have that power. Nobody did. The buck stops at Bush. He's always had stacks of "yes men" that would have jumped all over presenting intel to the UN had Powell refused to do so.

soonerguru
08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh Gawd,

You make a strong point, but none of Bush's "yes men" had the credibility of a Colin Powell -- not only with the UN but, more importantly, with the American people.

Putting Colin up to give the pitch was brilliant by Bush, but a poor decision by Powell, who, in retrospect, admits now that he knew better.

If nothing else, he could have sent a strong message by resigning. Instead, he allowed himself to be tooled by Cheney and Co.

Remember the Powell doctrine? They didn't even adhere to that. They didn't have enough troops to secure basic security after the invasion.

Also, Powell used to biblically rant about how we can never go to war again without a clear plan of action and a clear exit strategy. This war still has no plan or exit strategy.

He swallowed all of his principles to be Bush's lackey. We shouldn't lionize him now. If anything, he owes a LOT of people a massive, pleading, get-down-on-the-knees and beg apology.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm not a huge Powell fan, but in my opinion he's 10x the man most of the rest of the administration ever has a hope of being.

He screwed the pooch, saw what happened, then left. Maybe not immediately, but he left. The others have been wearing that pooch out for years now, and continue to insist that the bitch likes it.

metro
08-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow, to no surprise another thread ruined by the Bush administration bashers.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Well...What did you want people to talk about? Colin Powell's fruit salad?

metro
08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
No, about his visit to OU. Either way you view him, I think one owe's it to himself to see him in person and hear what he has to say. I'm willing to bet you wouldn't want someone to judge you on your past, but hear you out where you are at in your life now as well.

soonerguru
08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Metro,

I do think Colin's a good man. But it's hard to expect that no one would comment on something that is very real to people right now, the Iraq War, for which Colin deserves at least some of the responsibility.

He's trying to rehabilitate his public image right now, which is why he is on this tour. There's no reason NOT to comment on something very topical right now.

Remember: he had his chance to be a statesmen, and he chose political expediency. He's a politician, first and foremost, and if you mention a politician will be speaking locally in a thread, expect political commentary in the thread.

soonerliberal
08-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Powell is a respectable man and a wonderful speaker. Regarding his role with the Bush administration, he admitted to never being sold on Iraq, but let his guard down to follow his boss, the President, something he regrets. It takes a lot to admit your faults, especially when you are serving at the will of the President. I have a lot of respect for him.

Jeopardude
08-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Wow, to no surprise another thread ruined by the Bush administration bashers.

Sorry to "ruin" this amazing thread. I just wanted to challenge a dubious assertion that was made. I think most people here have said kind things about Mr. Powell.

metro
09-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Did anyone go hear Powell last night?