View Full Version : Tax on bigger wheels?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-24-2007, 10:52 AM
I just talked to a friend of mine that bought a new truck, and he got an extra little surprise when he went and purchased his tag...I had to call the tag office and verify it because I wasn't sure that I heard him right.

Evidently, they are now charging an extra tax on wheels larger than 17.5" in diameter. $2.50 per wheel up to 19.5 inches and $3.50 per wheel over 19.5 inches.

The lady on the phone said that this started around July or so.

What I want to know is a) what does this have to do with the registration of my vehicle with the state b) why does it matter and c) what possible justification did they come up with to charge more for larger diameter wheels/tires?

One of my vehicles came from the factory with 20" wheels, and now I have to pay a penalty because the manufacturer decided that this was the proper wheel and tire size combination for my vehicle?

It's not much money, but was there a vote on this? How does an extra "tax" like this come about?

rugbybrado
08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
they should start taxing truck owners more for owning a truck.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Only if they tax the self-righteous too.

Easy180
08-24-2007, 11:55 AM
This is a direct attack on us Southsiders :LolLolLol

OU Adonis
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Don't bigger tires do more damage to the road or no? I have no idea.

The 33s I plan on getting will be fitting on a 15" rim :D

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
My tires are no bigger than your average mid-sized vehicle tire, and I highly doubt they're doing any more damage to the road either.

BDP
08-24-2007, 03:06 PM
It's probably just a back door way of trying to weight taxes towards those that do the most damage. Sort of like a roundabout use tax. While there isn't a strict positive relationship, typically bigger wheels are on bigger cars, which, of course, do a lot more road damage than smaller cars. Of course, that a pretty lazy way of doing it, since you could easily just base the tax on the cars actual weight.

But, then again, we've passed incentives for small businesses to buy bigger cars that due more damage, so who knows why they do it and who did it. Someone's trying to pay for something while not upsetting the people who don't want to pay for it...

Disclosure: All of the above is pure guessing, don't quote me.

BDP
08-24-2007, 03:16 PM
My tires are no bigger than your average mid-sized vehicle tire,

Were you talking about wheels or tires?

The wheel size of your average mid size car is usually going to be 15 or 16 inches, with 17" wheels usually available on premium models or as an option. So, 17.5 to 19.5 is definitely bigger than on your average mid-size car like a fusion, camry, accord, etc.

OkieKAS
08-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Only if they tax the self-righteous too.

hahahaha.....ohh........ holding my side....hahahahahahaha:yourock:

OkieKAS
08-24-2007, 04:11 PM
So...........::::snicker:::::::is this on new vehicles only? What are they gonna do go out and measure your tires? This puts a whole new light on "highway robbery".....

rugbybrado
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
This is a direct attack on us Southsiders :LolLolLol

i live in moore. (westmoore)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Were you talking about wheels or tires?

The wheel size of your average mid size car is usually going to be 15 or 16 inches, with 17" wheels usually available on premium models or as an option. So, 17.5 to 19.5 is definitely bigger than on your average mid-size car like a fusion, camry, accord, etc.

My tires are no bigger in diameter than what comes on say...A Ford Explorer, or a Nissan Pathfinder. But my wheels are a bit larger in diameter (20").

No, they're not all "blingy" or anything. It's a performance oriented vehicle.

I'm not really bent out of shape about it. I was just wondering if anybody had an understanding of the hows/whys behind it.

windowphobe
08-25-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm guessing that this is a surcharge added to the excise tax.

House Bill 2087 from this year requires the collection of this data:

The actual sales price of the vehicle, which total shall be the basis of the motor vehicle excise tax, as well as the number of tires on the vehicle and the tire rim diameters, shall be entered on the bill of sale furnished by the seller to the purchaser, or on such other form as may be prescribed by the Tax Commission.

Then again, HB 2087 wasn't supposed to go into effect until November, so....

OSCN Found Document:[HB 2087] - An Act relating to tires; amending 68 O.S. 2001, Section 2104, which relates to vehicle excise tax; requiring certain information be included in bill of sale; and providing an effective date. (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=449344)