View Full Version : Stucco argument continues in Bricktown

betts
08-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Since this article is in the DOK, we've got a chance to comment on our thoughts about stucco at the end of the article.

Stucco argument continues in Bricktown

Urban or Suburban? Top: Synthetic stucco was used on the exterior of the Sonic restaurant in Lower Bricktown. Developer Randy Hogan, while he admits stucco is less expensive than brick, said he has chosen to use the product because it provides a lighter look that blends well with an entertainment district.

The use of brick in Bricktown building projects is preferred by preservationists and several local architects. By STEVE LACKMEYER, the oklahoman

‘It's become a neighborhood'
Bricktown condo sales lead way for others
By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman
Which of the buildings pictured with this column would be the best match for Bricktown?
That's the question weighing heavily with many as developer Randy Hogan prepares to start construction on the last major pad site left in Lower Bricktown. He's drawn praise from city leaders for bringing a 16-screen theater, a Bass Pro Shops, a Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill, a Starbucks, bowling lounge and other shops and restaurants to the entertainment district.

But Hogan's work isn't universally loved. Critics have cited the inclusion of surface parking that abuts the Bricktown Canal. Members of the Bricktown Urban Design Committee, grappling with plans by McDonald's to build a suburban-style restaurant at Reno and Lincoln, warned representatives of the fast food giant they didn't want to duplicate "mistakes” made south of Reno (Lower Bricktown).

That committee has no say over designs in Lower Bricktown, which is an ongoing project of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.

Friday, however, was Hogan's day to celebrate. The last condominium at The Centennial, being built next to Harkins Theater, was sold and Pete's Piano Bar of Austin had agreed to be the anchor tenant of Hogan's next Lower Bricktown building.

Hogan was quick to point out, repeatedly, The Centennial sold out even though it has the top three floors encased in stucco — the very material that was cited in this column last week as an example of developers looking to save money at the cost of the city's image to visitors.

Hogan wasn't singled out in the column, which focused on local billionaire Aubrey McClendon's work with architect Rand Elliott and their desire to do every building "first class.”

But Hogan felt another side should be told when it comes to the use of stucco.

He said the stucco used at The Centennial is not cheap — it cost about $150,000 more than the Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS) that draws genuine hatred by preservationists and several respected local architects.

Hogan said he was looking for a lighter look and material that would blend well with an entertainment district. He confesses stucco was cheaper than brick, but dismisses any talk his choice was based on anything but style.

But when asked about the extensive "EIFS,” a synthetic stucco he used on some of the smaller one-story buildings in Lower Bricktown, especially on the building shown with this column, Hogan explained the choice was that of the tenant.

Either way, the building's design ends up remarkably similar to several suburban properties, most notably at 33rd and Broadway in Edmond.

The question is, as Bricktown becomes one of the state's biggest tourist magnets and a catalyst for urban development statewide, does this sort of design promote Oklahoma City's aspirations of becoming a world-class city?

Or does it indicate the city has settled for suburban mediocrity?

It's not that all suburban architecture is forgettable or disposable.

The vintage-style brick facades shown in the second photo with this column are also in Edmond — at its much heralded Spring Creek Shopping Center at 15th and Bryant.

metro
08-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Hogan is so dilusional...

metro
08-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Can someone with access to the pictures that go with Lackmeyer's article please post them?

Pete
08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/08/21/18/Img/Pc0181900.jpg

Urban or
Suburban?
Top: Synthetic stucco was used on the exterior of the Sonic restaurant in Lower Bricktown. Developer Randy Hogan, while he admits stucco is less expensive than brick, said he has chosen to use the product because it provides a lighter look that blends well with an entertainment district.

Bottom: Vintagestyle brick facades grace the exterior of the much heralded Spring Creek Shopping Center at 15th Street and Bryant in Edmond. The use of brick in Bricktown building projects is preferred by preservationists and several local architects.

http://olive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/2007/08/21/18/Img/Pc0182000.jpg

Pete
08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
First of all, kudos to Steve Lackmeyer who really forced this important issue with Hogan and continued to push for answers after Randy tried to brush him off.

Steve also did a great job in probing Aubrey McClendon and Tom Price of CHK for answers regarding their plans for 63rd & Western.

Secondly, the reason cheapo materials 'blend' with his entertainment district is because it was all built to the same low standard!

And finally, I don't believe for a minute that tenants specified EIFS. He probably built-to-suit places like Toby Keith's and rather than demanding a certain minimum standard (which is part of being a developer rather than an order taker) he allowed them to cheap out in order to keep their costs down.

CuatrodeMayo
08-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Steve::congrats:

Midtowner
08-21-2007, 11:20 AM
An Oklahoman Reporter who is free to ask tough questions of the captains of industry and development!? Say it ain't so!!!

Articles in the Oklahoman which are critical of Bricktown are music to my ears. Hopefully Ed Kelley (Editor) allows this sort of critical writing to continue. Way to go Mr. Lackameyer. You done your town proud.

rugbybrado
08-21-2007, 01:19 PM
i dont think the sonic looks bad, but i think in a place selling itself as BRICK TOWN, buildings should be made of brick.

Pete
08-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Yep, Hogan is trying to capitalize on the Bricktown name but doesn't want to withhold (or even approach) their standards or ambiance.

He deserves every bit of criticism he gets.

Midtowner
08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Yep, Hogan is trying to capitalize on the Bricktown name but doesn't want to withhold (or even approach) their standards or ambiance.

He deserves every bit of criticism he gets.

Frankly, I think it was a mistake for the city to sell that land to Hogan (give would be a better word) in fee simple absolute. It should have been a lease for a term of years contingent upon the land being used for the best and highest use.

City leaders need to have a means to ensure that land in such areas, especially given at charitable prices to developers is properly utilized.

Pete
08-21-2007, 02:40 PM
At least a lesson seems to have been learned.

This is exactly why Mayor Cornett is proceeding so cautiously with Bob Funk's proposal for the property east of the ballpark. And by his statements, the city is no longer interested in selling such prime properties out-right, but rather want to do long-term land leases with tighter control.

Midtowner
08-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I wonder if Cornett's attitude would have been the same had the would be developer have been a Humpheries, Norick, etc.

wsucougz
08-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Hogan was quick to point out, repeatedly, The Centennial sold out even though it has the top three floors encased in stucco — the very material that was cited in this column last week as an example of developers looking to save money at the cost of the city's image to visitors.

Some logic. This guy is absolutely clueless.

wsucougz
08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
The more I think about this, the more it gets my goat. What is Hogan's problem? This guy just gave us all a collective, time-release donkey-punch.

What will lower bricktown look like in 30 years? I'm guessing these types of buildings don't age very gracefully. So what's going to happen? Maybe the action slides on down to the river and up to Midtown and you end up with pockets of dilapidated junk over time... the movie theater starts to fall apart, that mustard yellow color on the Centennial begins taking on a dirty tinge, Toby Keith becomes the new Michael Bolton. Worst case scenario, these decisions could end up killing Bricktown somewhere down the line. Right now that area is the only game in town, but in 30 years I imagine there will be a lot of competition for our downtown entertainment dollars. Lower Bricktown is pennywise, but pound foolish because we'll all probably end up paying to redevelop it again at some point in the not-too-distant future(at future prices, of course). Should have payed it forward like Macauley Culkin.

No matter to Hogan, though, who ends up taking a lot of money off the table, which is obviously what he's most interested in.

Pete
08-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I think the best hope for Lower Stucco-town is that as the areas around it continue to be developed much more responsibly that the shear forces of the market will cause some of those surface lots to be converted to other uses and some of the crappier buildings will ultimately be replaced.

Other developers have proven you can build a quality product and still make a profit.

HOT ROD
08-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Malibu, Im sure your plan will happen.

I think OKC just wanted to 'rush in' development for Lower Bricktown so that the entertainment district would be "complete" in time for the developments of late.

Look at what OKC has been hosting the last few years, Big XII, Hornets, major concerts, major sporting events, conventions!!! I think the city really just wanted to get rid of the 'piles of dirt' at the south end of the canal at that time rather than 'holding out' for better designs.

You sort of have to ask yourself, hm in hindsight - I see what the city wanted (to have a complete district to serve as an attraction for downtown patrons and visitors) but

what I dont understand is why they "gave" hogan all of the land. Like was said, they could have leased it to him or at least created an urban design committee similar to Bricktown or inclusive with it.

Like was said, I think the city learned about its mistake and is now 'holding out' on new proposals (see funk), but honestly - I'd rather have funk's proposal in LB rather than Hogan.. ..

I think the city was just comfortable with Hogan since he was a good ole boy, they chose him to fill that hole with a subpar yet 'complete' looking hood. One thing to keep in mind tho, is that these buildings were NOT built to last - so they will need to be replaced, which will be all the better for Oklahoma City long term.

Pete
08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
And to be fair to Hogan, that whole area was a wasteland and he did succeed in bringing in a major theater (who would have thought that possible 10 years ago?) and has at least built out the majority of the project with a much-needed hotel, a destination restaurant/club in Toby Keith's, added residential units and will soon be adding some unique entertainment venues in Pete's and the bowling lounge.

And he's at least demonstrated that such projects are viable, which paves the way for other, more quality-minded developers.

Blangdon
08-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Speaking of all of this...I remember seeing a post on here a while back about the land between DRINKZ and the Skyy Bar site being developed by someone as an 8 story and 5 story mixed-use development. Can anyone update me on this or point me in the direction of that post??

traxx
08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
The more I think about this, the more it gets my goat. What is Hogan's problem? This guy just gave us all a collective, time-release donkey-punch.

What will lower bricktown look like in 30 years?

I'm wondering if LB will actually be around in 30 years. I can see it being torn down and replaced, hopefully with better structures after having learned our lesson.

As far as Toby Keith's, though, I really don't have a problem with it. It has a different style and I can see the look that they were going for. It's kinda that Southwestern, adobe style. It's in a different league than the stucco on the Sonic restaurant and the Centennial bldg.

jbrown84
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
And to be fair to Hogan, that whole area was a wasteland and he did succeed in bringing in a major theater (who would have thought that possible 10 years ago?) and has at least built out the majority of the project with a much-needed hotel, a destination restaurant/club in Toby Keith's, added residential units and will soon be adding some unique entertainment venues in Pete's and the bowling lounge.

Yeah, with the exception of Bass Pro, I like the tenants he's brought, just don't love the structures he's put in them.

traxx
08-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah, with the exception of Bass Pro, I like the tenants he's brought, just don't love the structures he's put in them.

What's the knock against Bass Pro?

metro
08-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Blangdon, you're referring to Gary Cotton. I believe he was supposed to have started by end of summer 07. He would have started it last year but his or someone in his family's health problems delayed the deal. PM Steve Lackmeyer and he can fill you in with the latest. Or better yet, Steve do an update on this!

jbrown84
08-22-2007, 02:23 PM
It doesn't fit Bricktown or downtown at all for that matter. Nothing against having it in the city however.

y_h
08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
What will lower bricktown look like in 30 years? I'm guessing these types of buildings don't age very gracefully. So what's going to happen? Maybe the action slides on down to the river and up to Midtown and you end up with pockets of dilapidated junk over time... the movie theater starts to fall apart, that mustard yellow color on the Centennial begins taking on a dirty tinge, Toby Keith becomes the new Michael Bolton.

Thirty years? Try about ten to twelve if the area isn't populated by sustainable businesses. When I visited OKC in 2006 it had been 12 years since I had last been in town. Driving west on NW Expressway, I was amazed at the amount of commercial development that had come AND gone in that amount of time, especially on the north side of the street west of Independence. There is a plethora of exploitable retail space sitting vacant or occupied by lower tier retail and/or service providers. It's all about filling that space with businesses that have staying power and keeping them there for the long haul. Do that and you won't have to worry about the condition of the buildings - they'll continue to be maintained and upgraded.

My apologies if I took this thread a bit off topic.