View Full Version : Remembering the Victims of the Flood

OkieKAS
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Man Sees Wife Swept Away In Okla. Floodwaters

The bodies of three people swept away by floodwaters were recovered late Sunday, hours after the husband of one victim watched their van swept away.

Authorities said Dorita Horse, 77; Helen Horse, 34; and Rose Saddleblanket, 17, were traveling home from Lawton when high water washed the van off Highway 58, six miles south of Carnegie.

Dorita Horse's husband was in another vehicle and saw his wife being washed away.

"When it died out, it began to float sideways, and I said, 'Oh my God, I hope they have trees over there where they can catch them.' Then I started to dive in. I thought, 'I'm not like I used to be,' so I'll be a casualty today. I backed up, and I hollered, 'I can't help you. There is nothing I can do,'" said Billy Evan-Horse.

Bessie James said she warned her mother about the imminent danger along these roads just moments earlier.

"You guys will need to pull over or go to someone's house until this is over because you are right in the center of it. There are 70 mph winds and flash floods," she said.

"(I told her to) call me in the morning, let me know or call me when you all get home, and that was it. I never heard from her," James said.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers found the women's bodies on Sunday night.

Evan-Horse and his wife were married for 60 years. They had 11 children and were part of the Kiowa tribe.

"She was just like a force in the neighborhood. She went to church, and everybody liked her," James said.

Man Sees Wife Swept Away In Okla. Floodwaters - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/koco/20070820/lo_koco/13931944)