View Full Version : Kang's Asian Bistro adds new location, looking for more

metro
08-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Pan-Asian restaurant opens second location

By Sara Ganus
Business Writer
Two years after opening in Edmond, Kang's Asian Bistro opened a second location on Monday at 6600 N Olie Ave. near Nichols Hills — and the plans don't stop there.

Kang and Mary Nhin, owners of the Pan-Asian cuisine concept, hope to open three additional shops — in south Oklahoma City, the Quail Creek area and Norman — within the next two years.

"When we started in Edmond, we knew that there was a need for fresh Asian cuisine in Oklahoma,” Mary Nhin said. "We wanted to bring something energetic that Oklahoma hadn't seen before.”

After finding success in the Edmond market in 2005, the Nhins decided to expand to multiple locations, beginning in Oklahoma City.

The opportunity to open an Oklahoma City restaurant came when the couple asked their brother-in-law, Dinh Nguyen, to join the Kang's restaurant group. After owning the House of Hunan at 6600 N Olie Ave. for eight years, Nguyen agreed to their business proposal.

Just like that, the Kangs got a prime piece of property in the Nichols Hills area and someone to run their new operation. Nguyen closed House of Hunan on July 15 to become the general manager for the new Kang's.

"I like the way they run their business,” Nguyen said. "I like the concept. It's very exciting, and I like change. I think change is how business should be.”

With that in mind, the Nhins, along with Nguyen, decided to bring a different theme to the new restaurant. Being so close to Western Avenue, this Kang's will cater to a younger crowd, seating fewer people — about 90 — and incorporating a larger bar area, Mary Nhin said.

"The Edmond location is a little bit more traditional because we do have a family base there, and then we decided this location was going to be a bit more modern,” she said. "We'll have a more youthful ambience here.”

Christopher Weston, director of operations, said the restaurant is also hoping to capitalize on the area's business community.

"Here, as opposed to Edmond, there's an influx and a large amount of businesses, where in Edmond, it is more residential,” said Weston, who is also the general manager of the Kang's in Edmond. "We're going to have a much larger lunch crowd, and then what we're hoping is a lot of people will do cocktails in the evening, enjoying happy hour as well as having the opportunity for a great dinner.”

One thing that won't change, however, is the menu — which represents traditions from China, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam. Signature dishes include Kang's Thai fire fish, Japanese sesame chicken, scallop drops with broccoli and, of course, sushi.

Mary Nhin said Edmond's master sushi chef, Ashley Nguyen, will make guest appearances at the new Kang's during its opening month.

Kang Nhin added that both restaurants will continue to hand-make spring rolls and use organic vegetables like green beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, Thai basil and squashes, which grow in his mother's garden in Edmond.

Items range from $5.50 to $23.95.

The new Kang's also will host special events.

Mary Nhin said it's all part of bringing traditions from the east to Oklahoma.

"When you stop in, you should feel like you're not in Oklahoma. You should feel like you're somewhere else — somewhere distant, somewhere to take your mind off things,” she said. "And then when you taste the food, of course, that should be an experience in itself.”

Hours for the new Kang's are from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Wednesday and from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday through Saturday.

http://static.newsok.biz/article/3104684/biz-a14kangs_08-14-2007_7L499J6.jpg

General manager Dinh Nguyen, director of operations Christopher Weston and co-owner Kang Nhin in the recently opened Kang's Asian Bistro at 6600 N Olie Ave. By Jaconna Aguirre, The Oklahoman

betts
08-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Has anyone been to the original restaurant? The new one is pretty close to me and I wondered if it's worth trying.

John
08-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Great food. One of my favorite asian places in Oklahoma, and we have quite a variety to choose from.

You'll enjoy it.

metro
08-15-2007, 09:51 AM
I've always heard great things about this place betts.

windowphobe
08-15-2007, 06:50 PM
How long before Chesapeake buys them out?