View Full Version : OKC's GMP up by 33%

metro
08-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Oklahoma City’s Gross Metropolitan Product grew by 33 percent from 2001 to 2005

8/8/2007

The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber today cited a report stating Oklahoma City’s gross metropolitan product grew by 33 percent between 2001 and 2005.
With a $43.1 billion GMP, Oklahoma City surpassed the GMP of regional cities Kansas City; Omaha, Neb.; Nashville, Tenn. and San Antonio, Texas as well as the U.S. economy, which grew 23 percent in the time period.

Oklahoma City’s GMP also outpaced the gross state product of Alaska, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. Oklahoma City’s GMP accounted for 35.4 percent of the state’s gross state product.

“These numbers truly reflect how Oklahoma City's economy continues to expand,” said Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President and CEO Roy H. Williams in a statement. “They help paint the picture of Oklahoma City's success, which can be attributed to its diverse economy, and establish the foundation for the next stage of growth this city is on the verge of experiencing.”

Recent U.S. Census Bureau statistics indicate the Oklahoma City area’s population has grown 1.26 percent in 2005-06 to 537,734. Currently, Oklahoma City ranks 13th among 33 cities with more than 500,000 people in one-year growth.

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 11:25 AM
With a $43.1 billion GMP, Oklahoma City surpassed the GMP of regional cities Kansas City; Omaha, Neb.; Nashville, Tenn. and San Antonio, Texas as well as the U.S. economy, which grew 23 percent in the time period.

Oklahoma City’s GMP also outpaced the gross state product of Alaska, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and North Dakota. Oklahoma City’s GMP accounted for 35.4 percent of the state’s gross state product.

I don't know why anybody has not responded to this, but this is truly amazing.

(What report is the CoC referring to?)

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Upon futher research: I could be wrong, but the CoC doesn't seem to know how to read very well.

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0107/GMPreport.pdf

adaniel
08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I think they are referring to the actual growth rate and not the total GMP number...having just taken a trip to Nashville and seeing how it is booming, it is still an impressive feat.

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 11:49 AM
If, in fact, that is what they are reffering to, they need to learn to write better.

According to the report:

Average Annual Growth Rage
OKC = 6.1%
Nashville = 6.1%
San Antonio = 6.9%
KC = 4.8%

Their statments and the number are not jiving.

redland
08-10-2007, 03:33 PM
There is a lot of confusion here (at least for me). The annual growth rates you posted are for the time span 1995-2005, whereas the figures in the report Metro posted are for the period 2001-2005; so maybe OKC has been doing better in the more recent years.

HOT ROD
08-11-2007, 03:11 PM
also, its not the Oklahoma City area's population that is now 537.000 people, that is just for Oklahoma City city!!!

OKC area is well over 1.3M.

JOHNINSOKC
08-11-2007, 03:27 PM
HOTROD, thanks for the clarification on the population!:) I was about to do that myself because some people would take that misinformation and run with it. I think this new information gives us a clearer picture of just how much the OKC metro economy has really expanded in more recent times. Just driving around this city gives you the chills and I wish all the behind-the-scenes things would start being announced so that we can be even more proud of this place. I was in Ft. Worth last weekend and I drove I-820 on the east side of the city and, frankly, I wasn't too impressed. I always hear people talk about traffic down there, but they have more four-lane interstates than OKC does. My mom and I had a friendly exchange about my opinion that OKC is a mix of both Ft. Worth and Dallas and she told me that she didn't see an ounce of Dallas in OKC when she was here last month, but she also didn't travel all over the area either while she was here. I told her that we have two skylines and how it's like Dallas in that sort of way and she said that she didn't consider the NW Expressway corridor to be another skyline. Well, there aren't another group of towers in Ft. Worth like that.:) We did agree that Ft. Worth and OKC are similar in many ways, but honestly, as a whole, I think OKC is cleaner and more sophisticated, unless you are counting the mid-cities, including Arlington. As for the GMP increase, it says alot about how far we've come as a city and we are catching up to our peers pretty rapidly. Any thoughts???

OU Adonis
08-11-2007, 04:26 PM
HOTROD, thanks for the clarification on the population!:) I was about to do that myself because some people would take that misinformation and run with it. I think this new information gives us a clearer picture of just how much the OKC metro economy has really expanded in more recent times. Just driving around this city gives you the chills and I wish all the behind-the-scenes things would start being announced so that we can be even more proud of this place. I was in Ft. Worth last weekend and I drove I-820 on the east side of the city and, frankly, I wasn't too impressed. I always hear people talk about traffic down there, but they have more four-lane interstates than OKC does. My mom and I had a friendly exchange about my opinion that OKC is a mix of both Ft. Worth and Dallas and she told me that she didn't see an ounce of Dallas in OKC when she was here last month, but she also didn't travel all over the area either while she was here. I told her that we have two skylines and how it's like Dallas in that sort of way and she said that she didn't consider the NW Expressway corridor to be another skyline. Well, there aren't another group of towers in Ft. Worth like that.:) We did agree that Ft. Worth and OKC are similar in many ways, but honestly, as a whole, I think OKC is cleaner and more sophisticated, unless you are counting the mid-cities, including Arlington. As for the GMP increase, it says alot about how far we've come as a city and we are catching up to our peers pretty rapidly. Any thoughts???

My thoughts is I hope we can sustain this growth and see some real population growth in the near term.

HOT ROD
08-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I agree OU and John. Hopefully we can sustain the rapid economic growth - it will translate into a population boom. Sure, we have seen steady growth with even a few big jumps - but if we keep building the economy, I could see OKC city being 600,000 in the 2010 census and the metro well over 1.4M.

I just hope that we could deannex the watershed areas and the far NE, SE, SW, and far north rural areas. This would allow us to focus on the urbanized area, densify it even further - with little if any population loss.

I think if we were to shrink the city limits, we could become a bit more "dallas like" in that we would have dense urban areas, complete with urban business parks - maybe even some Transit Oriented Developments (TOD).

But yes, I am very proud of Oklahoma City - we surely are much better than we've ever been. I think some new skyscrapers are due downtown to show the world that the NEW OKLAHOMA CITY has arrived!!!

Continue the Renaissance!