View Full Version : Gassaway Fired

Karried
08-09-2007, 04:42 PM
From NewsOK...

Can you imagine this????

August 9, 2007
Family of dead child fires attorney

The Oklahoman

Attorney Mike Gassaway filed a multimillion dollar lawsuit without the permission of his client, a family who lost their son Tuesday when a dump truck ran over him, family members said today.

"Please be advised that your legal services are terminated immediately,” the boy's father, Byron Glenn, wrote in a letter to Gassaway today.
Glenn said he never gave Gassaway permission to file the lawsuit and never asked him to do so.
"We're not money-hungry,” Glenn said. "We need to bury our son.”
Gassaway could not immediately be reached for comment. Byron Glenn's son, Thomas Glenn, 14, was run over by a dump truck and killed while jogging on a city trail Tuesday.

bretthexum
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
What a clown. Really cant imagine anyone would do that...

Dave Cook
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Why can't this guy avoid the papers? Unreal.

I remember him when he was a 'client' at the Oklahoma Halfway House in the mid-90's while I was working there. Very quiet and standoffish cat. Trouble always seems to find him.

BailJumper
08-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Something doesn't smell right with this story.

The family went to Gassaway and signed a contract. Yet, now they claim they didn't know what they were signing (thought it was a medical release).

If they didn't want to sue, then why did they go to Gassaway to begin with? Why would you think a lawyer is having you sign a medical waiver. Lawyer's contracts are very clear.

What I think happened is that the family did what should be done and got legal representation. But, they didn't go after just any old lawyer, no, they went for the Gassaway, someone known for sueing for big bucks and going on TV.

They didn't realize the law suit would become public so fast and when they got ridiculed they turned on Gassaway.

I don't believe for a minute a person contacts Gassaway unless they either need to be defended for a criminal charge or to sue the city.

Personally, I wouldn't hire Gassaway to get me out of a paper bag, but that doesn't justify piling on when this family obviously approached him.

Midtowner
08-10-2007, 06:52 AM
What makes you think they contacted Gassaway? It's entirely possible that he contacted them.

soonerfan21
08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
I believe in the article it says the family contacted Gassaway "for advice" or something to that effect. So they did make the first contact.

BailJumper
08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
What makes you think they contacted Gassaway? It's entirely possible that he contacted them.

Lawyers don't call victims, it's considered unethical and in many cases illegal.

The article was clear that the family contacted Gassaway. The funny part is where they expect the public to believe they only contacted him for "legal guidance and never intended to hire the attorney." BUT, the family then admits to signing a contract! That they now say they didn't read/understand.

Folks, you don't contact an attorney when your kid dies unless you plan to sue.

Gassaway had a legal obligation to file the suit immediately to put the defendants on notice.

The family just got some heat and decided to blame the lawyer.

Also, how does a family firing a lawyer make the front page of the newspaper?

tinkerafbrat
09-06-2007, 10:00 AM
I believe they were embarrassed that it did end up on the front page of the paper.

l
Look for it to land there again....later.......after they get their bearings they will surely hire another attorney to sue.

And who wouldn't?

www.IraqWarHeroes.org/Allbaugh.htm