View Full Version : BJ's on Memorial?

OKCGRL99
08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone tried this place out yet? Going there for the first time on Friday....suggestions?

betts
08-07-2007, 07:04 PM
The Oriental chicken salad (can't remember exact name) is great. I've also had the beef/swiss/grilled onion sandwich and it was really good too.

traemac
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
you MUST do a pizookie

Karried
08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Pray tell... what is a pizookie? A cookie pie?

traemac
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
they take a mini deep dish pizza pan and bake a cookie in it and it doesnt quite get all the way done in the middle and top it with two scoops of ice cream

teacher girl
08-11-2007, 05:38 AM
haven't been to the one here, but my hubby would eat at the dfw one and LOVED it!! I notice they are also doing one way south (I could be wrong, though)

that cookie thing sounds spectacular!!

metro
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
My wife and I ate here after church yesterday. The atmosphere was okay, too cookie cutter fake looking for me, however most people would say it's "nice" by suburban design standards. Anyhow, I ordered the BJ's favorite personal pizza and my wife had the Great White. The BJ's favorite is basically a supreme pizza. I must say it was awesome and clearly the closest thing to Chicago Style pizza I've had in OKC thus far. Light years better than Old Chicago's pizza. The Great White was chicken in an alfredo sauce pizza. It was pretty good too, but not near as good as my supreme. We shared an Oatmeal Raisin Pizookie for dessert. Although it didn't live up to all the expectations I had after reading all the rave reviews on this board, it was pretty darn good. I give this place a good recommendation if your looking for a good deep dish pizza or dessert.

The service on the other hand was very poor. And from what I can tell, that was a consistent, store-wide problem. The table next to us, a kid spilt their drink all over their dad. Two waiters/waitresses walked right by and didn't even acknowledge the spill (even stepped in it). The family after waiting about 5 minutes or so trying to get someones attention, finally just left since the dad was soaked. They didn't even get to finish their food. They just put some cash on the table and left. My wife and I stayed another 15 or so minutes and no one still had not come to clean the mess. Our waitress was also exceptionally slow. Took a good 10 minutes or more just to introduce herself and ask for our drink order (water). Took another 10 to bring them out. Keep in mind the restaurant had an over abundance of staff (many of which were standing around the back wall and up front). We were near the back wall.) It was nearly 3pm when we got there, so most of the church crowd was gone although the place was a little more than half full still. Our food took quite a while to come out ( I know deep dish takes longer to cook) as well as our check, etc.

Again, all in all if you want good food I recommend it. If you're expecting good service, it seemed poor from all observations I had as well as hearing/seeing other tables reaction to their service.

MicheleL
08-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I had dinner there on Saturday night and thought the service was excellent. We arrived at 6:00 and had a 30 minute wait, which I don't consider bad for Sat night at a new place. Our party of 5 had eaten and finished a couple rounds of drinks in an hour & 15 minutes. We all enjoyed our meals but none of us cared for their beer. Wish we would have tried the pazookie.

metro
08-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Any reviews of the food Michele?

jbkrems
08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I had dinner there as well on Sunday night, and Metro --- I had the same service problems as you did. Slow service, etc. etc. etc. There were also OTHER mistakes and issues (with the food) --- and I will NOT be going back.

betts
08-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I just ate there on Sunday and had great service and great food. Everything was delicious, and there are a lot of things on the menu I'd like to try. To me, the food is a cut above Chili's and TGI Fridays and chains of that ilk. I like all the flat screens that had the PGA on as well.

MicheleL
08-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I had the Santa Fe Salad and it was very good. My husband had the grilled chicken pasta and Santa Fe spring rolls. Others in our party had salads and everyone commented on how much they liked the food. Next time we go I'm definitely going to try their pizza.

metro
08-13-2007, 01:01 PM
I will go back for the food. I hope the service is better. Their menu reminds me alot of Cheesecake Factory, a very deep diverse menu. Has anyone tried their avocado egg rolls? They sounded pretty good, I want to try them next time.

Karried
08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I finally got to try BJ's yesterday. I was very impressed. The place was packed... it was around 12:30, yet the service was really good considering the crowd. Every table was full and the servers were hustling like crazy.

I had the Fish Tacos ( lightly breaded halibut with shredded cabbage, carrots and an awesome chipotle sauce, served with guacamole dip) they were extremely tasty... some of the best I've had.

My husband had Fish and Chips... they were breaded pretty heavily but again, very tasty. The chips ( fries ) were awesome.

For lunch the portions were pretty good.... I wasn't stuffed ( two fish tacos and a handful of colored tortilla chips).

We had good service, our server offered up a sample of their brewed blonde beer for free to sample (1.50 normal sample - even though we had already told him we would order a full beer.. but we had told him it was our first time there, so he probably wanted us to sample it before committing).

I think the service problems will get worked out in time - they haven't been open all that long. Probably just trying to work out the kinks.

As Betts said, they are a cut above Chilis and their prices are a few dollars more per item.

I can't wait to go back and try some more menu items. Especially the cookie pazookie!

MadMonk
08-26-2007, 04:09 PM
The wife and I went to BJ's last night. We were told a 40-50 minute wait so we hung around the bar area until a barstool opened up. We tried the 7-beer sampler while we waited. I like the "Nutty Brewnette", a brown ale, and my wife's favorite was the "Jerimiah Red Ale". The "Harvest Hefeweizen" was excellent as well. Their "Tatonka Stout" was sold out for the night so they substituted a Pilsner that was very good.

The atmosphere there is very nice. Not very quiet, but not too loud either. It's very open. The big screen above the bar is awesome, and is split into six different channels, all with a variety of sports on them. Very cool! There are a good number of wide-screen TVs hung on the wall throughout the place as well.

We were seated after a total of about 30 minutes. We asked our waiter for opinions for appetizer as it was our first visit and he suggested the Santa Fe spring rolls. We said we would need a few minutes to decide on our dinner so he left us for a while. It turned out to be a long while. A different employee delivered our appetizer and we had finished it (and our beers) by the time the waiter finally got back around to taking our order. That's the only negative I have to say about the night. Just a little slow on the service.

The food was excellent though. The spring rolls were very tasty and was plenty for an appetizer - about six total, split in half for 12 total pieces. My wife had the New Orleans Jambalaya and it was spicy and delicious. I had a pepperoni and mushroom calzone and it was very tasty as well. I was almost able to finish my dinner, but my wife gave up about halfway through hers. The portion of Jambalaya provided was very generous. I had to have the pizzookie that I'd been hearing about so we ordered one as well - chocolate chunk. It was excellent, but I was just too stuffed to eat very much of it.

Overall, we both enjoyed ourselves and plan on returning. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Jack Wonder
09-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Uuuu, I still haven't gone to BJs.

...Sounds like it is better to wait until they get figure things out more.

Dr. Pants
09-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I've been there a couple of times and it's pretty good. I've had a slice of the pizza (delicious), a bowl of jambalaya (spicy and good) and a chicken-stuffed baked potato (without the alfredo sauce it was still great).

The most exciting part is the beer, though. If you enjoy a lot of different brews, take a look at their selection of locally brewed beers. Take some friends and get a pitcher.

Easy180
09-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I've been there a couple of times and it's pretty good. I've had a slice of the pizza (delicious), a bowl of jambalaya (spicy and good) and a chicken-stuffed baked potato (without the alfredo sauce it was still great).

The most exciting part is the beer, though. If you enjoy a lot of different brews, take a look at their selection of locally brewed beers. Take some friends and get a pitcher.

Get a pitcher of the stronger (4.8 I think) hefeweizen...It is freakin good

hipsterdoofus
10-06-2007, 09:34 PM
My wife and I went there last week. We don't drink so mostly just going to check out how it looks and the pizza and such. I got a mini pizza and my wife got one of their super humongous stuffed potatoes (or whatever their description is). The pizza was pretty good - nothing better than i'd had at Old chicago. My wife was very disappointed in her potato. They made it sound like it was massive, and it cost like 8.95 and was like half the size of what you'd get at Jason's deli for 5 bucks. Also, the potato was tough like it had been over cooked. Also, she thought that it tasted like they didn't wash the skin off very well.

We had a bad experience with the customer service as well. Only got a refill to my $2+ pop by flagging down the waitress. I think she checked on us one time. Its really a shame, I thought it was pretty cool inside, but we are not going back again.

eataroundokc.com
10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
It's your basic huge portion, slightly overpriced suburban chain restaurant. It's edible, but there are a lot of more interesting places to try.

Easy180
10-27-2007, 12:37 PM
It's your basic huge portion, slightly overpriced suburban chain restaurant. It's edible, but there are a lot of more interesting places to try.

Not exactly....One of only a handful that brew their own beer in the metro

I guess I can agree with you if you judge it on the food only

Jon27
10-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Went there for dinner tonight. They have about the best mozzerella sticks I've ever had! If you go, get a Pazooki for dessert. We had the peanut butter. This is one of my favorite places to eat!

eataroundokc.com
10-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Not exactly....One of only a handful that brew their own beer in the metro

I guess I can agree with you if you judge it on the food only

You're right, I was thinking food only. I don't drink so the beer isn't a factor for me, but I can see how that does set them apart.

SoonerDave
10-30-2007, 08:59 AM
If its anywhere near as good as the BJ's my son and I visited over OU-Texas weekend in Dallas, I've gotta go give it a try....

Matt
01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm a bit late to the party here, but what the hell, I'll post anyway.

Ate at BJ's the other day. The food wasn't nearly as good as the atmosphere and service. I waffled between ordering a personal mini pizza and the fish and chips, eventually deciding on the fish. I think I picked wrong. I didn't care much for the fish at all, and the chips (steak fries) were a little undercooked.

But the worst thing was the Guinness. The bartender didn't seem to know how to pour it, as both of the pints I ordered had heads that were way too thick.

The food and drink wasn't so bad that I'll never go back there, but if I do, I'll be staying far, far away from the fish and chips and Guinness. Guess it'll be the personal pizza and the local beer, if I go again.

MadMonk
01-30-2008, 03:36 PM
He must not have taken the full 119.5 seconds for the true Guinness pour. ;)

Matt
01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
He must not have taken the full 119.5 seconds for the true Guinness pour. ;)

That's what I was thinking! I did get them awfully fast (which, with most things, isn't a problem at all).

Maybe he wasn't aware that good things come to those who wait. . .

OkieHornet
01-31-2008, 08:40 AM
since they brew their own beer, maybe you would like one of their other microbrews instead of a Guinness? they're awfully good, and finding someone in town who actually knows how to pour a Guinness is a chore...

bradbkj103
02-04-2008, 11:20 AM
i have to admit the Pizza is CRAZZZZZy good-

6string79
02-04-2008, 04:47 PM
i have to admit the Pizza is CRAZZZZZy good-

Nobody called my ass up to go eat at BJs!