View Full Version : POPS in Arcadia now open!

soonerfan21
08-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that POPS on Route 66 in Arcadia is officially open as of today. I went to a soft opening last night and they had the sign flashing "Open Monday."
The food is great and so are the prices - check it out!

CuatrodeMayo
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Pics courtesy of my brothers. Turns out we have 2 cousins that now work there...go figure.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020959.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020958.jpg

Our family namesake Root Beer.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020955.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020954.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020953.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020951.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020948.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020947.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020946.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020944.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/CuatrodeMayo/S4020942.jpg

traemac
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
great pics i will be trying it out later in the week

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
My fiancee' and I went out there last night. Didn't get to eat, but they have Faygo Rock N' Rye, so my opinion is that it's the coolest place ever!!!!!!

zuluwarrior0760
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
place is incredible.......
they had a feature on news9 last nite:

NewsOK: (http://newsok.com/video/233572)

MrZ
08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Drove by there 2 weeks ago and wanted to stop but it wasn't open yet. Looked pretty cool.

soonerfan21
08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
ARCADIA — When Aubrey McClendon thinks about Route 66, his thoughts turn not just to trips to California, but to the road's darker history as an escape route from Oklahoma.

"I had always been fascinated with the road going to California,” McClendon said Monday. "I read ‘The Grapes of Wrath' and wondered what it would be like to be starved out of Oklahoma.”

No such exodus could be seen Monday when McClendon's own contribution to the mother road, "POPS,” opened at 5:30 a.m. Monday to a line of about 40 people.

Customers spent hours in the Chesapeake Energy chief executive's tribute to soda pop, snapping photos of the giant pop bottle along the Route 66, waiting for a table in the small cafe or simply browsing through the hundreds of varieties of soda on sale in the convenience store.

The crowds continued throughout the day, confounding McClendon's plans for a quiet opening without any publicity. Manager Marty Doepke encountered one news crew after another as customers packed the landmark's old fashioned lunch counter, convenience store — and grabbed up soda brands usually unheard of in this part of the country.

"We did our very best to keep this quiet, but word spread quickly,” Doepke said. "The last three or four days we had to have someone at the door to keep the public out.”

Admitted stalkers included Barbara Johnson, who shared lunch at POPS with sister-in-law Joy Jeffrey and grandchildren Brandon, 7, and Madison, 9.

"We saw it all lit up last night when we came by to check on it,” Barbara Johnson said. "So we came back again today. It's just so neat, so different for this area.”

The Johnsons left after sampling three different varieties of soda.

Those keeping an eye on the first-day crowds included Hardy Watkins, director of the Oklahoma Department of Tourism.

"We know this is a business, but it's also an attraction,” Watkins said. "It's on Route 66, and with the unique way they are putting this concept together, it's going to make people want to stop. I think Route 66 will see a nice impact from it. It speaks to the viability of the road today. You have a nice juxtaposition — the 100-year-old Round Barn down the street and now this new style convenience store and soda fountain.”

Watkins said he appreciated the tributes to Route 66 inside POPS — including photos of Oklahoma highway attractions in the cafe and Route 66 sites from other locations in the convenience store.

Not all visitors were gravitating to the glass wall of soda bottles. Amy Thigpen, an architectural intern from Manhattan, N.Y., spent the afternoon photographing the building itself before settling in for a drink and a bite to eat at the lunch counter. She had high praise for Oklahoma City architect Rand Elliott, who designed POPS.

"It's not just a gas station,” Thigpen said. "It's interesting to see the new icons coming on board, and he's establishing a new identity for Oklahoma.”

McClendon said Elliott was the first person he visited with when considering building POPS three years ago. Their work together includes more than two dozen projects, including development of the Chesapeake Energy campus at NW 63 and Western Avenue.

McClendon had bought the property a decade earlier, and was never happy with an adjoining gas station that faced the highway. He decided to replace the gas station when it was closed by previous owners.

"But anybody can build a gas station or convenience store,” McClendon said. "I wanted to build something unique. So how do you get a hook — how do you make it a nationwide attraction? I described to Rand growing up on vacation, and I mentioned seeing the different pop bottles from around the country.”

Elliott took that tidbit and developed it into POPS. The name carried special meaning for McClendon, since he refers to his own father as "pop.”

So with just about every soda pop imaginable at his fingertips, what is McClendon's favorite flavor?

"Dr Pepper,” he responds. "I'm also a big fan of Ginger Ale.”

traemac
08-09-2007, 02:21 PM
went by and tried to do dinner but was going to be a 2 hour wait and no to go food yet

soonerfan21
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess the "new" might have to wear off first, as they did not plan such a big splash. Was supposed to be a quiet opening with no media until August 25th, but you know what they say about the best laid plans!

If nothing else, go by and check out the building and 66' tall pop bottle. From the TV clips it looks stunning at night.

metro
08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
What I don't understand is why the heck did they build the inside so small. It is very small and they knew it would be a huge tourist draw. I would have expected a little better. The parking lot planned for a huge crowd, why didn't the convenience store and diner?

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 07:24 AM
I am assuming the reason was too keep it true to the idea of a roadside gas station and cafe. It is still new so people are flocking. Wait a while. The size will make sense then. It's not in I-40, it's on 66.

metro
08-10-2007, 07:30 AM
I understand your point Cuatro, but I don't think it will die down too much. Keep in mind, there are plenty of residents in the area (east Edmond, Arcadia, Lake Hiwassee). Not to mention Route 66 touring is busy all year long. Also McClendon recently bought and closed down the popular Hillbillies cafe just down the street a few weeks ago. (Glad I ate their about a month or so ago before they closed for good). Needless to say, dining choices are fairly limited in the area, and this cliche as it sounds is now an instant icon as many have said. I think they could have made it a few hundred square feet bigger to accommodate more business (thus keeping more money in state tax coffers for roads, schools, etc.) instead of losing out on possible business. They have a sea of parking, why not take advantage of it on the inside as well?

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 07:51 AM
It is about being true to a concept. If Aubrey was after the money, then we wouldn't have POPS...we would have an enormous c-store. It's a choice that was made between creating an icon or a business. He traded more space and revenue for something less tangible but more important in him.

I agree with you. It would be nice if it was bigger. but I am sure Aubrey and Rand discussed it, and for one reason or another decided to keep it small. I don't know. There are plenty of residents in the area, but most decided to do their business in Edmond. If there really is such a pent-up demand for restaurants in the area, they would already be there.

metro
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Good points Cuatro, I can' always support staying true to style!

soonerfan21
08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Cuatro hit the nail(s) on the head - the entire concept (in my mind anyway) is about the Route 66 experience. From looking at the pics posted, that experience starts on the highway leading up to POPS, continues with the 66' pop bottle and continues through the store onto the patio looking out into the grove of Redbud trees. I think people should go visit and walk around the site as did the architecture student from NY who was quoted in the Oklahoman article.

I wish folks would get away from this "fast-food" way of thinking about the food and focusing on the $$ and see it for themselves.

zuluwarrior0760
08-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Pop's will not stand alone. Give it some time,
and all that parking in relation to the square footage
will make sense......

CuatrodeMayo
08-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Zulu...I believe you and I are thinking the same thing...

MsProudSooner
08-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I wonder if they will have Delaware Punch? I used to love that stuff!

John
08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
They ran out of EVERY soda, except Coke/DP/etc in normal plastic bottles this weekend.

I think they said they should be stocked up by today.

I've been for breakfast and lunch, so far. I'll post a review in the Food Court once I have dinner there.

If nothing else, go check it out, preferably at night so you can check out the bottle in action.

zuluwarrior0760
08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
set the Tivo to record the Colbert Report tomorrow night on
Comedy Central with Stephen Colbert. His guest will
be Michael Wallis....who has been a big part of the historical
end of Pop's and I'm sure Pop's will be discussed.
Should be interesting to see what he has to say about
the mother road in general and Pop's in specific on this
national program tomorrow night.

metro
08-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Cuatro hit the nail(s) on the head - the entire concept (in my mind anyway) is about the Route 66 experience. From looking at the pics posted, that experience starts on the highway leading up to POPS, continues with the 66' pop bottle and continues through the store onto the patio looking out into the grove of Redbud trees. I think people should go visit and walk around the site as did the architecture student from NY who was quoted in the Oklahoman article.

I wish folks would get away from this "fast-food" way of thinking about the food and focusing on the $$ and see it for themselves.

Actually I have soonerfan, before I posted my comments. I totally get and understand staying true to style, but adding another 300 sq. feet to the interior would still have accomplished that and provided a better experience (not fast food experience) in my opinion. If you've read my posts long enough, you'd know that. Heck it would make the building look better with the gigantic canopy roof and the sea of parking. I see how it all relates now, but it's my honest opinion it would look more to scale if the interior was just a slight bit bigger. I'm not talking about another 5,000 sq. feet here.

soonerfan21
08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
I get the gist, metro, but seems like the masses are not talking about a mere 300 sf. Hopefully when the new wears off people can "pop" in for a soda (sorry, couldn't resist!)
Anyone see Michael Wallis on the Colbert report? I saw on line this morning - he was just talking about his new book. Nothing was said about Rt. 66.

diesel
08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I went last night to POPS and I was very shocked at their lack of selection. On their website they show all the different types of POP that they have but when you go in there all the good stuff seemed to be gone. Pretty sad. I am going to take some friends up there tonight and try their food. Seems pretty interesting. Is it just me or if they have that wide of a selection, why would they have so little refrigerator banks?!?! Also why did he build this in BFE?!?! This place would do AMAZING in Oklahoma City...

BoulderSooner
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
went yesterday for lunch .. parking lot was full and they said a 40 min wait at 1120am .. lucky for us 3 seats opened at the counter and we were the only group of 3 waiting .. so we sat after 5 min ..

food was very very good .. one of the best burgers i have had away from home ... also friendly service and good prices ..

Actually I have soonerfan, before I posted my comments. I totally get and understand staying true to style, but adding another 300 sq. feet to the interior would still have accomplished that and provided a better experience (not fast food experience) in my opinion. If you've read my posts long enough, you'd know that. Heck it would make the building look better with the gigantic canopy roof and the sea of parking. I see how it all relates now, but it's my honest opinion it would look more to scale if the interior was just a slight bit bigger. I'm not talking about another 5,000 sq. feet here.

the problem is that they only had limited space between the supports of the cantalever (sp?) overhang .. and they only built between the supports instead of having the supports inside the building also remember this is only week 2 and the demand will go down at some point with the location

I went last night to POPS and I was very shocked at their lack of selection. On their website they show all the different types of POP that they have but when you go in there all the good stuff seemed to be gone. Pretty sad. I am going to take some friends up there tonight and try their food. Seems pretty interesting. Is it just me or if they have that wide of a selection, why would they have so little refrigerator banks?!?! Also why did he build this in BFE?!?! This place would do AMAZING in Oklahoma City...

this is because of the suprise crowd .. they were planning a soft opening until the grand on aug 25 .. then all the tv people showed up and boom packed daily and sold out of most of the pop ..

interesting for thought .. i doubt they ever intend to franchise or add other locations ... but if they did this concept .. would go over huge in california and in other locations in ok..

maybe 10 new locations across america ON route 66

Pete
08-16-2007, 03:43 PM
^

I was just thinking the concept would be great out here in California.

Of course out here, it would have to be called 'Sodas'. :)

soonerfan21
08-16-2007, 04:36 PM
it's my understanding that a great deal of the concept has to do with the placement in Arcadia - so much for the franchise idea!

diesel
08-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Honestly I never knew that there was a town called Arcadia until I looked on the map where POPS is located. I always thought it was just a name of a lake..

betts
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
This is cool!:

"The first week it was open, Pops sold 11,000 bottles of pop. In addition to the hundreds of kinds you can get, Pops will soon set up kiosks where you can order from a selection of 1,400 different kinds and have them shipped anywhere in the United States."

ToddyWoddy
08-17-2007, 07:26 PM
We drove out there yesterday (8/16) to check out the hundreds of brands of pop and buy some to take home. We were checking out all the differents kinds on the walls. I went to pick one up and was surprised that they were glued to the shelves!

I saw a few I wanted to buy, but all they had in the cooler was 8 or 10 different kinds, certainly not "hundreds".

I asked the girl at the counter on how to purchase the ones on the shelves and was informed that we can't buy them, they were only put there for decoration.

We were a bit dissappointed....

Karried
08-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Saw a great story on Headline News CNN today on Pops.. very complimentary.. nice story and a good representation of our state. They interviewed the marketing director who presented herself very well.. articulate and informed. The customers seemed to be enjoying themselves. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Matt
08-18-2007, 12:00 AM
set the Tivo to record the Colbert Report tomorrow night on
Comedy Central with Stephen Colbert. His guest will
be Michael Wallis....who has been a big part of the historical
end of Pop's and I'm sure Pop's will be discussed.
Should be interesting to see what he has to say about
the mother road in general and Pop's in specific on this
national program tomorrow night.

I watched that whole show, and he barely mentioned Route 66 at all, much less anything about Pops.

I sat through that whole horrible, conservative, right-wing, propaganda show for nothing. Thanks a lot.

zuluwarrior0760
08-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks a lot?

That's why I said Tivo it you nitwit.

That way, you could record it in your absence, while you're
watching something else like Nancy Grace or a rerun of Big Brother,
and then when you login here afterward and see that
he didn't say crap about POP's or Route 66, then you could hit the DELETE
button....

Instantaneous no left wingage

:)

Shake2005
08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I watched that whole show, and he barely mentioned Route 66 at all, much less anything about Pops.

I sat through that whole horrible, conservative, right-wing, propaganda show for nothing. Thanks a lot.

If you think that the Colbert Report is "horrible, conservative, right-wing, propaganda" then your entire irony and sarcasm bones have been removed. The entire show is intelligent and very pointed political satire of "horrible, conservative, right-wing, propaganda" shows. It's making fun of Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh, it's not one of them.

Matt
08-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks a lot?

That's why I said Tivo it you nitwit.

I don't have a Tivo, sir. And I don't appreciate the name-calling. And I don't appreciate being tricked into watching a fascist television show like The Colbert Report, either.

If you think that the Colbert Report is "horrible, conservative, right-wing, propaganda" then your entire irony and sarcasm bones have been removed. The entire show is intelligent and very pointed political satire of "horrible, conservative, right-wing, propaganda" shows. It's making fun of Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh, it's not one of them.

I don't have any irony or sarcasm bones in my body, thank you very much, but I do have a gut. And my gut tells me all I need to know about Mr. Colbert and his television program, which is nothing more than a nightly, thinly-veiled campaign video for the Bush administration.

Consider this a wag of my finger.

Shake2005
08-18-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't have a Tivo, sir. And I don't appreciate the name-calling. And I don't appreciate being tricked into watching a fascist television show like The Colbert Report, either.

I don't have any irony or sarcasm bones in my body, thank you very much, but I do have a gut. And my gut tells me all I need to know about Mr. Colbert and his television program, which is nothing more than a nightly, thinly-veiled campaign video for the Bush administration.

Consider this a wag of my finger.

I will assume then you didn't look it up in a book then?

John
08-18-2007, 02:08 PM
We drove out there yesterday (8/16) to check out the hundreds of brands of pop and buy some to take home. We were checking out all the differents kinds on the walls. I went to pick one up and was surprised that they were glued to the shelves!

I saw a few I wanted to buy, but all they had in the cooler was 8 or 10 different kinds, certainly not "hundreds".

I asked the girl at the counter on how to purchase the ones on the shelves and was informed that we can't buy them, they were only put there for decoration.

We were a bit dissappointed....

Can you imagine if some kid knocked a bottle on one of the walls over? Domino effect!

They had no idea that this is the response they'd be getting and in the future, will be more prepared with the pop. It's just taking a while to get in from all the distributors.

Give it another shot.

Matt
08-18-2007, 02:32 PM
I will assume then you didn't look it up in a book then?

I'm sorry, I've never been a fan of books. I don't trust them. They're all fact, no heart. I mean, they're elitist, telling us what is or isn't true, or what did or didn't happen.

Shake2005
08-18-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry, I've never been a fan of books. I don't trust them. They're all fact, no heart. I mean, they're elitist, telling us what is or isn't true, or what did or didn't happen.

I feel you

metro
08-18-2007, 08:00 PM
You've got to be crazy if you think Colbert Report is right wing.

Matt
08-18-2007, 08:33 PM
You've got to be crazy if you think Colbert Report is right wing.

He's as right wing as Bill "Papa Bear" O'Reilly.

And that's scary.

metro
08-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Your posts are amusing Matt sir. And I don't think zulu "tricked" you into watching Colbert either. We're all adults after all. If you are so against that "type" of show, then you shouldn't watch it. I was able to discern from zulu's post that he wasn't sure about the agenda of what they would be talking about that night. It was pure speculation.

Shake2005
08-19-2007, 07:08 AM
I hate bears

PapaJack
08-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Here we go again!

A thread about Route 66 and soda pop has taken a left turn, no a right turn? into a politically charged "duscussion" of bears, liberals, conservatives and O'Reilly.
Is this a great country or what?

dalelakin
08-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Here we go again!

A thread about Route 66 and soda pop has taken a left turn, no a right turn? into a politically charged "duscussion" of bears, liberals, conservatives and O'Reilly.
Is this a great country or what?

Isn't great how the internet brings out the "best" in communication skills?:fighting3

MadMonk
08-19-2007, 09:53 AM
He's as right wing as Bill "Papa Bear" O'Reilly.

And that's scary.
Are you serious?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/icon_lol.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/hysterical.gif

flintysooner
08-19-2007, 10:51 AM
This thread is hilarious. What a hoot. I've always wondered about a satire of a satire.

Matt
08-19-2007, 01:19 PM
And I don't think zulu "tricked" you into watching Colbert either.

Alright, "duped," then.

We're all adults after all. If you are so against that "type" of show, then you shouldn't watch it.

I was totally unfamiliar with the program until I read zuluwarrior0760's mention of it here. And I figured, being on Comedy Central and all, it was probably a funny little show, and maybe I'd get to see something about Pops.

What I didn't know is that Stephen Colbert is basically George Bush's puppet, and that his show is nothing more than a vehicle for pushing Bush's policies under the guise of a "comedy show." Well, I didn't see anything funny about it.

Rest assured, I'll never be tuning in to that ultra-conservative dreck, ever again. Comedy Central should be ashamed for allowing it on their airwaves. It really belongs on Fox News with Papa Bear O'Reilly and Sean Hannity.

I was able to discern from zulu's post that he wasn't sure about the agenda of what they would be talking about that night. It was pure speculation.

"Agenda" is a good way to describe that night's program.

Are you serious?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/icon_lol.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/hysterical.gif

Yes, I am.

John
08-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Alllllright....

Back to the topic at hand -- Pops!

zuluwarrior0760
08-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Matt,

My profuse apologies for lassoing you into watching that awful awful show
based on speculation.

In a profit scheme, they don't show these shows until they .........well........show
the shows.......so we didn't have access to enough insider info for you.....

Good did come out of it though, we all got to laugh hard at your comments
calling the Colbert Report a real show, and Colbert himself a Bush puppet....
and I especially liked your comments about not reading books because all
they ever have are facts.......

You say you're serious about this stuff..........but there's just no way!!!!

FWIW, when Steven Colbert roasted Bush relentlessly at the last Washington Correspondent's Dinner, George Bush was visually disgusted with his jokes, and rebuffed Steven when he came over to shake his hand. In addition, Laura Bush was overheard "on tape" telling Steven Colbert to "get F*&^ed"......

It's all on Youtube........and no......I'm not gonna tell you to go watch it!

Seriously, are we to believe from your comments that you also believe
that the sketches on SNL making fun of the president are actually real also?

Okay, now back to POPS!

soonerfan21
08-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Y'all have been busy lil bees over the weekend - I agree, back to the original thread :dizzy:

Matt
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Matt,

My profuse apologies for lassoing you into watching that awful awful show
based on speculation.

I accept your apology.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Are they restocked yet?

John
08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I was there last night and they were pretty stocked up on the pop.

I got eight different kinds to try. Sorry about depleting the stock... ;)