View Full Version : It's time we look at building an NBA Class arena and Football/MLS Soccer Stadium.

Laramie
08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Obviously it's time to look at building a new NBA-NHL arena and a 25,000 seat football/soccer stadium adjacent to the Ford Center. MAPS 3 initative is right around the corner; it's time we plan ahead.

We need a new world-class arena seating 20,000 to 22,000 and a sports stadium for football and MLS soccer specifications with a minimum seating capacity of 25,000 capable of being expanded to 75,000 to 90,000 in the event we want to pursue the NFL.

We built the Ford Center for right at about $100 million and the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark for $28 million; therefore, we could probable look at spending $250 million on a new arena and $40 million on a multipurpose outdoor stadium capable of hosting track and field events in addition to football and soccer.

We may later want to cover (retractable roof) that stadium and add more seating.

What are your thoughts? Could the Ford Center be ungraded to 80 suites with increased seating? Could Taft Stadium (15,000 seats) be used and upgraded to MLS specifications?

kmf563
08-06-2007, 07:38 AM
yes. please. soccer would be great. I haven't been to Taft stadium in forever...but I really question the area and support games would receive there. I think a new arena should be built with all of the specifications required. Could it have multiple uses maybe for smaller leagues too - like the women's football team and other local leagues? Maybe tournaments?

CuatrodeMayo
08-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Obviously it's time to look at building a new NBA-NHL arena and a 25,000 seat football/soccer stadium adjacent to the Ford Center. MAPS 3 initative is right around the corner; it's time we plan ahead.

We need a new world-class arena seating 20,000 to 22,000 and a sports stadium for football and MLS soccer specifications with a minimum seating capacity of 25,000 capable of being expanded to 75,000 to 90,000 in the event we want to pursue the NFL.

We built the Ford Center for right at about $100 million and the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark for $28 million; therefore, we could probable look at spending $250 million on a new arena and $40 million on a multipurpose outdoor stadium capable of hosting track and field events in addition to football and soccer.

We may later want to cover (retractable roof) that stadium and add more seating.

What are your thoughts? Could the Ford Center be ungraded to 80 suites with increased seating? Could Taft Stadium (15,000 seats) be used and upgraded to MLS specifications?

I'm not sure we want to tie up that much land that close to the CBD with such an expansive sports facility. Maybe it could fit in Core 2 Shore. Soccer, yes. NFL...Not sure we even want this, considering a much better football experience can be had in either Norman or Stillwater. You might double your figures for the cost...construction cost is rising exponentially and the Ford Center was a steal.

Taft is a good idea. It has been discussed here: Taft Stadium a novel idea (http://www.okmet.org/bb/index.php?topic=2419.0)

traxx
08-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't really see enough Oklahomans getting on board with MLS to make it a success. Soccer is like the metric system: They keep telling us Americans "Just try it and you'll love it. The rest of the world loves it and you know 10 million monkeys can't be wrong." In reality you deal with it only when you have to like with 2 liter soda and late at night when you can't sleep and there's nothing on ESPN but soccer.

We'll never love soccer like those crazy, rioting Europeans do.

Midtowner
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
This almost happened in Edmond. UCO's Wantland field is configured as a multiuse facility. It could fairly easily have an additional 14,000 seats added and it'd be a top-notch MLS facility.

dalelakin
08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
When the US wins the World Cup soccer will be bigger than the NFL.:kicking:

traxx
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
When the US wins the World Cup soccer will be bigger than the NFL.:kicking:

They did. At least the women did and it was as big as pre-season football for about a week. It's kinda like the tour de france or the America's Cup. We enjoy dominating but I don't see a ton of kids running out buying deck shoes and training to sail or buying Lance Armstrong jerseys like they do football jerseys. The media thinks and tries to make these bigger deals than they actually are to the general public.

dalelakin
08-08-2007, 03:35 PM
:sofa: That was said some what tounge in cheekish. Ok lemme rephrase when the illegals outnumber the true citizens then it will be popular?:dizzy:

Midtowner
08-08-2007, 04:10 PM
:sofa: That was said some what tounge in cheekish. Ok lemme rephrase when the illegals outnumber the true citizens then it will be popular?:dizzy:

I think a North American league would be an interesting proposition... or at least some interleague play between the Mexican and U.S. leagues. I think such events would be heavily attended.

traxx
08-10-2007, 08:12 AM

Ah! I get ya. What you say is true though.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
The only way soccer would be interesting is if the field was 1/4 the size and there were hidden landmines that launched players 12 feet in the air along with dropping 12 "decoy" balls that exploded when kicked.

dalelakin
08-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I think a North American league would be an interesting proposition... or at least some interleague play between the Mexican and U.S. leagues. I think such events would be heavily attended.

That is an interesting concept and could garner some support. Still not enough to make it mainstream but it would add alot considering how many people would go to support the "home" team from the south...

Midtowner
08-11-2007, 01:15 PM
That is an interesting concept and could garner some support. Still not enough to make it mainstream but it would add alot considering how many people would go to support the "home" team from the south...

So long as they buy tickets, who cares?

Rifleman2C
08-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep, I'm with Midtowner on this one... tickets sold are a good thing.

Personally, I don't mind watching soccer played, and I would most likely support an outdoor team that is well marketed. But I'll admit that the indoor variety is a bit more exciting to watch (and play) than the outdoor variety. As an ice hockey fan, I find the similarities between indoor soccer and ice hockey somewhat close.

But unless you've tried playing soccer yourself, it is hard to admit that the folks that do engage in playing soccer have a bit a skill. Maybe it is just a skill that you never thought that you would have need of...

excat_56
08-12-2007, 10:58 AM
I played soccer for 4 years, and it definitely takes a lot of skills and conditioning. It requires a lot of eye foot coordination.

I also played football for 6 years, and I must say, you must be in better shape for soccer and football. It is a much faster paced game.

traxx
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
So long as they buy tickets, who cares?

I think that's the point. There wouldn't be enough interest to sell tickets.

We know it takes talent and skill to play soccer, that was never disputed. It also takes talent and skill to play chess, but that doesn't mean I'd pay money to watch someone play chess. Heck, I wouldn't even watch it if you paid me $40 to watch instead of the other way around.

You have to be in better shape to play soccer than football? Please. I'm not saying you don't have to be in shape to play it but you'd have to be in different shape not better. In soccer you don't have a 6'5", 285lb. guy who can run a 4.5 40 whose only job is to beat you into the ground on every play. Yeah, I'm sure that takes no conditioning.

metro
08-15-2007, 02:02 PM
true traxx, but soccer requires stamina and endurance, something most NFL'ers don't have. They have power and short distance speed. Strength/Endurance and Power are all completely different and obviously vary from sport to sport. Look how long winded football players get after a few plays. There is no way they could play the majority of a 90 minute game.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-15-2007, 03:49 PM
true traxx, but soccer requires stamina and endurance, something most NFL'ers don't have. They have power and short distance speed. Strength/Endurance and Power are all completely different and obviously vary from sport to sport. Look how long winded football players get after a few plays. There is no way they could play the majority of a 90 minute game.

For what it's worth...A soccer player would be laying on the ground blowing snot bubbles inside his helmet after 12 seconds of play in football.

traxx
08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
For what it's worth...A soccer player would be laying on the ground blowing snot bubbles inside his helmet after 12 seconds of play in football.

Ha ha! I love it, I love it.