View Full Version : Cruise?

u50254082
08-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Ever since I moved to the metro area, I've always heard about some strip where people go cruise on the weekend nights. A while back I heard a large group of Harley riders passed through there.

Where is it?!?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-05-2007, 12:29 PM
If you want to cruise and show off your bada$$ ride, it's NW 39th street. There are roving packs of borderline street-legal Novas, gaggles of ricers, herds of rumbling 1 ton trucks, and lots and lots of chrome every weekend.

u50254082
08-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Is that the same thing as taking the Expressway exit from I44 and going west? I'm curious if the cruise is only in a certain area...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-05-2007, 10:39 PM
No, it's south of NW Expressway. NW Expressway is Highway 3. NW 39th Expy is Route 66. Click here. (http://www.google.com/maps?q=NW+39th+St,+Oklahoma+City,+OK,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=35.541725,-97.572327&spn=0.100848,0.222816&z=12&iwloc=addr&om=1)

excat_56
08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
well, when i lived back in woodward, i used to come to the city just to cruise. it started at nw 39th and portland and went west until you just passed the bethany sign. generally turn around somewhere in that area.

there used to be a social schedule to call it out there, people started coming out about dusk or so, then went to the street races about midnight.

now from what i hear, friday's cruise now is on nw10th due to increased cop traffic, and they then move to 39th on saturday.

it's been a few years since i was out, so i have no idea how valid that rumor is. i have a friend that goes out quite frequently, and that was the last i heard on it.

hope that's somewhat of a help to you!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't know about Fridays, as I don't go out much on Fridays...But last Saturday night, 39th had all kinds of hotrods out and about. So that part jives with your story excat_56.

excat_56
08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
yeah, like i said, it has been a while. glad to hear there are people still out there tearing up the streets though. actually make those cops over there do something for their money!

u50254082
08-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Is there a popular parking spot on this cruise? Like a retail parking lot or a Sonic that everyone goes in to get a drink? Sorry, I'm just not really seeing it on the map...

metro
08-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Alot of the highschool ricers and wannabe cool kids (newer mustangs, camaro's etc.) still hang out at the Sonic in Bethany on NW 39th near Rockwell. As someone said, the cruises go from about Portland (east) to Rockwell (west) on NW 39th (aka route 66). It's not near what it was a few years ago but about 3 years ago or so the Warr Acres police really weeded alot of it out and ruined it. They started purchasing undercover sport cars and pulling everyone over left and right. They also got OKC and Bethany to agree to put up no U-turn signs down 39th all the way until Council. Now thanks to the jerks normal drivers can't make a valid decent U-turn all weekend long until 6am Monday morning because of their hate for the street racing culture. I haven't been out there in years to watch the cruising, but on occasion my drives end up that way on Saturday night to visit my folks. Seems like it hasn't changed much in the last few years. Also, Meridian cruise is also a blast every year when the National Hot Rod show is in town.

I didn't make it this year. But the Slamborree cruise is always good. The car show was in Norman this past weekend. I think they cruised somewhere in Norman this year.

CCOKC
08-06-2007, 09:52 PM
I live very close to 39th and Portland and was remarking to my husband last weekend how remarkable I thought it was that kids still cruised there. He did not grow up in OKC and apparently did not aprreciate the finer aspects of cruising
39th. Now he grew up in a small town in OK and I know that kids cruised Main Street. Not sure why it's fun when you are a kid and a nuisance 20-30 years later.
I guess maybe I'll understand when my kids start cruising in the next couple of years.

excat_56
08-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Is there a popular parking spot on this cruise? Like a retail parking lot or a Sonic that everyone goes in to get a drink? Sorry, I'm just not really seeing it on the map...

You will mostly see people parked in the entrances to the car lots on the sides, that bout about the safest thing for them to do anymore which the increased cop patrol as mentioned earlier.

People will swing into Sonic and grab something, then turn around at the gas station/McDonalds on Portland, and so on and so forth. I was out there right about the time they police really started cracking down on them. There would be anywhere from 2-5 police officers per BLOCK on a given weekend night. They would pull you over for the slightest thing, even 3/4 mph over. That is the main reason I have chosen not to go out there.

That is the last thing that I need is for a police officer to put one of those magical little flags on me and I work for a charity. That would just go over real well.

I can understand cracking down on the street racing, but the cruising aspect just really sucks. They have even done away with it in the smaller towns such as where I am from. :(

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
I used to cruise 12th in Moore way back when, and I've seen that it's made a recent resurgence. Although it's not gridlock from Eastern to Janeway anymore.

I think most folks on 39th do fine with the police presence. But I hang out with a slightly older crowd with better impulse control now. We don't do big smoky burnouts at stoplights or try and drag race everything in sight. Those are the folks that have problems.

As for where to hang out...Usually people will hang out in groups...Like last Saturday, there was a pack of Novas that all looked like sub-10 second cars driving around (I didn't see where they parked). The GTO's will hang out in their own spot, the ricers will do the same. As will the bikers, the crotch-rocket riders, the guys with the big trucks, the Camaro dudes, etc.