View Full Version : COX offers free high-speed internet to low-income Oklahomans

metro
07-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Cox introduces free Internet for low-income households

July 31, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – Cox Communications plans to give a technological boost to some low-income Oklahomans. The company is offering one year of free Internet service to Oklahomans who qualify for Lifeline, a government assistance program that offers phone service for as little as $1 a month. The Cox Internet service is available to both new and existing first-time Lifeline Internet customers.

Customers eligible for the program can apply by calling Cox or visiting a Cox store. The company also will charge Lifeline users who get the Internet service only half of the $15 installation fee. “We know that our Lifeline phone connection is a vital link for thousands of Oklahoma families,” said Cox Oklahoma President Dave Bialis. “Now, we are offering a free Internet connection for one year to every Lifeline home that previously lacked Internet access.

Since most of those households have children who are in school, this is an opportunity for them to get connected at no cost.”Christine Martin, spokeswoman for Cox Oklahoma, said the Internet service will be on a different tier and is not as quick as its standard online offering. The company has not put a price on the free service.

After the initial year, however, Martin said Lifeline customers can keep the Internet service for a discounted price of $9.95 a month.

BailJumper
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Yet another enabling excuse not to better one's self.

Karried
07-31-2007, 11:22 AM
We pay $150 a month to Cox - sheesh... free internet.

Sometimes you wonder why you work so hard.

OU Adonis
07-31-2007, 11:27 AM
The speed offered will be extreamly low. It would be a dial up like connection.

rugbybrado
07-31-2007, 11:41 AM
heh...wish my internet was free.

but hey, i dont really care. they arent taking tax dollars to give free internet so it really doesnt concern me. but one might think- if the person can afford a computer to access the internet, shouldnt they be able to afford the 10 dollars a month for netzero or some other dialup provider?

but who cares, cox isnt going to lower their rates for everyone, they might as well give back SOMETHING to the poor.

rugbybrado
07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
We pay $150 a month to Cox - sheesh... free internet.

Sometimes you wonder why you work so hard.

No offense, but i could never image wasting that much money on cable and internet.

I have the basic cable, slowest of the high speed(can still watch streaming video) from cox and my bill is 32 dollars each month. Granted i dont come home from work and plant my ass infront of the TV for 6 hours until i go to sleep....

Your money might be better spent on gym memberships of family activities together...

just saying.:tiphat:

BailJumper
07-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Rugbybrado - Since you know nothing of Karried's Internet/TV habits, maybe you should rethink that idiotic statement.

I paid for a T1 to my home prior to cable being available and that cost me a couple hundred a month.

Even if I only spent an hour on the net I'd still want a very fast connection.

The cost is only a waste if it is not being appreciated. Apparently Karried appreciates it.

Hell I have HD, DVR, HBO, High Speed and Cox Phone. And guess what - I couldn't care less if you think it is a waste of money.

Back to the topic - I agree, if the family has a computer then why can they not afford Internet? I do not agree with giving such a non-essential perk to the poor.

Midtowner
07-31-2007, 01:27 PM
This is likely to stave off any further consideration of municipal wi-fi.

MadMonk
07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
No offense, but i could never image wasting that much money on cable and internet.

I have the basic cable, slowest of the high speed(can still watch streaming video) from cox and my bill is 32 dollars each month. Granted i dont come home from work and plant my ass infront of the TV for 6 hours until i go to sleep....

Your money might be better spent on gym memberships of family activities together...

just saying.:tiphat:
Perhaps you should cancel you're gym membership and/or internet services and take a night class on common courtesy. :tiphat:

bretthexum
07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Yet another enabling excuse not to better one's self.

What does this have to do with making someone better? Just because they are low income means they are not as good as someone who makes more money? Open your mind my friend.... not everyone is perfect.

rugbybrado
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
-Rugbybrado - Since you know nothing of Karried's Internet/TV habits, maybe you should rethink that idiotic statement.

-Hell I have HD, DVR, HBO, High Speed and Cox Phone. And guess what - I couldn't care less if you think it is a waste of money.

-I do not agree with giving such a non-essential perk to the poor.

-I know that for 150 bucks a month you get a lot of services from Cox. Anyone who feels the need/desire to spend that much on TV programming might consider what it’s doing to their lives.

Unless you want to argue with me over the health benefits hours of Television brings to a family?

-I work fulltime, lift weights and run 2.0+ miles 4 times a week, and still find time to work on my master’s degree. Im glad you have all those packages from Cox to bring joy and fulfillment to your life. Good for you.

-Hey, im just saying if people don’t like giving free internet access to poor families, then stop paying for huge entertainment packages from Cox...Im sure they aren’t supplying these families off the 32 bucks I give them a month.

BailJumper
08-01-2007, 05:04 AM
What does this have to do with making someone better? Just because they are low income means they are not as good as someone who makes more money? Open your mind my friend.... not everyone is perfect.

Low income is fine - it's also subjective. But if your income is so low you qualify for virtually free telephone service, WIC, etc. then I don't feel you need free perks like internet in your home. Isn't that why our tax dollars pay for computers and internet in the libraries, etc.?

Plus, if I'm making minimum or no wage, exactly what do I need the Internet for in my home?

Now, if they are low/no income but are enrolled in college to better themselves, then I say give them the computer and Internet if needed. Heck, I'd even support free bus rides to and from school.

Trust me, the bar for "perfection" is not whether or not one is poor.

Rugbybrado - So, unless someone conforms to your daily routine then they are not worthy? What a knob.

Maybe to Karried's life it educates (we personally love to watch the History Channel, Animal Planet, etc.). Maybe in the long run it saves their family money that would otherwise be spent on gas, movies, entertainment, shopping, etc. Or, just maybe it is none of your freaking business.

Again, what a knob.

flintysooner
08-01-2007, 06:28 AM
if I'm making minimum or no wage, exactly what do I need the Internet for in my home?

With an Internet connection one can work from home and/or use it to improve one's circumstances. If one is retired or disabled or caregiving and unable to leave the home then it is a very worthwhile thing. Besides it is only one year free.

Seems to me that it is really none of my business what someone else chooses to do with their own resources.

rugbybrado
08-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Rugbybrado - So, unless someone conforms to your daily routine then they are not worthy? What a knob.

Maybe to Karried's life it educates (we personally love to watch the History Channel, Animal Planet, etc.). Maybe in the long run it saves their family money that would otherwise be spent on gas, movies, entertainment, shopping, etc. Or, just maybe it is none of your freaking business.

Again, what a knob.

You origninally said

The cost is only a waste if it is not being appreciated.
Hell I have HD, DVR, HBO, High Speed and Cox Phone. And guess what - I couldn't care less if you think it is a waste of money.
I responded
-. Im glad you have all those packages from Cox to bring joy and fulfillment to your life. Good for you.

I value perusing another degree and working towards long term health goals. If you feel that Television is an important tool in your family’s education then feel free to sit there on your couch for however many hours you deem necessary. I will value the things I find important and you can value Cox’s h.d. package for your education.

Now I think we should give poor people free cable TV access, so they can learn from that and make them a better person - much like you.

I think you're the one being the knob.

Karried
08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
It does seem like a lot of money.. but the alternatives just won't work for our family - Dial up, uh,uh.

Approximately $150.00 (probably closer to $130.00) covers Digital Cable, Faster Internet Connection and Digital Telephone.. The Cox Bundle ...

Anyhoo, I only watch CNN and news channels... love Discovery and History Channels and the kids love all of their channels too. But honestly, we don't watch TV too often.

As far as family time goes.. we are all big gamers in our house so I spend lots of time with the family and kids either playing Halo 2 on Xbox Live (which is why we like the faster internet connection)... it's not all couch potato stuff... we have a Wii and we do a lot of physical gaming too.. Hubby loves his sports and all those channels, but regardless, I'm sure we could use a good workout at the gym as well. Treadmill in front of CNN works too...

I also spend a lot of time moderating this board ( again, a faster connection comes in handy).

We also use our computers for business (research, accounting and bookkeeping) so essentially we have to have reliable internet connections.

Let's not even talk about the cell phone bills or utility bills ... we're getting reamed in every way. Everything is just so expensive.

I guess everyone's different and has different needs.

OU Adonis
08-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Just an FYI-Cox Offers Cell phones now. :)