View Full Version : Disney, Epcot and Oklahoma

Pages : 1 [2]

Taggart
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Knowing what I do know, I'd have to say it's pretty unlikely that it's true. Disney has hundreds of subsidiaries they would buy that land under before they'd put the name Disney on anything. IF and that's a big IF they did buy that land, it would be for a warehouse or for a distrobution center or something along the like. But then again, this rumor pops up all over the midwest, but it's only that. A rumor.

Most people don't realize that WDW was only built to support Walt's vision for an experimental city of the future. He didn't really care to build a park there, but Roy, his brother, advised that it would be good to have to pay the bills. Walt died before construction really began so it just became a mega-resort since they already had the land. Any purchase like that would be almost impossible today with the cost of land. WDW's land was swamp-land that was bought for pennies.

Celebration was another test of the concept but results wern't what they were hoping for. I doubt they'd try that again.

mmonroe
06-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm sure as to how much land, but the it was listed as Disney with something like a DBA attached to it.

Karried
06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I work for Disney, in the department that would be designing this.

Taggert, you are my new best friend...lol, please tell me the best way to NOT drop approx $1,400 bucks on Park Hopper Passes for 5 days for a family of 4?

Heavy sigh.. why is everything so freakin expensive lately?

Any tips? or better yet, employee/new best friend discounts?

ha, ha....

jbrown84
06-03-2008, 12:57 AM
If Disney ever built a mid-america park, it would make much more sense to build in the Branson area, as it's already very Orlando-like.

FRISKY
06-03-2008, 11:14 AM
If Disney ever built a mid-america park, it would make much more sense to build in the Branson area, as it's already very Orlando-like.Hmm, the traffic in that region is terrible and the infrastructure for visitors is already taxed past the limit. A location between OKC and Tulsa would be better.

mmonroe
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I was thinking Kansas City, MO being a good spot...

BUT I'D MUCH RATHER HAVE IT IN OKLAHOMA!!!

Taggart
06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Taggert, you are my new best friend...lol, please tell me the best way to NOT drop approx $1,400 bucks on Park Hopper Passes for 5 days for a family of 4?

Heavy sigh.. why is everything so freakin expensive lately?

Any tips? or better yet, employee/new best friend discounts?

ha, ha....

You can save about $400 if you choose NOT to get the "non-expiration" and water parks. Other than that, there really isn't a good way.

You can always try timeshare sales pitches, but those are usually kinda sketchy.

You can save about half off on food if you do the table service restaurants for lunch and counter service for dinner.

Staying on property at the Value resorts really is a better deal than off property when you consider gas, parking, and related hassles and included benefits like extra magic hours.

If I had any hook-ups I'd give them, but unfortunately even for us, the pickens are slim on the benefit chain.

Karried
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks Taggart, yeah, I've sort of found that there are no discounts on this vacation (we're going on a Cruise for the first 8 days and then DisneyWorld) I've resigned myself to feeding Mickey cash..lol.. it's okay.

I really do embrace the philosophy that life goes by too quickly and my time with my kids and family and friends is too short. We really do only get one chance at this life on earth and I'm making memories with my kids that will last a lifetime..... they are growing up too fast and I only have a few more years before they won't want to vacation with Mom and Dad.. so, it is what it is. When it's over , it's over... and I'll have no regrets.

I'm still responsible about it though... I don't like debt. If I can't pay cash, we're not doing it.

405Metro
06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Disney in Oklahoma makes as much sense as The Mall of America in Minneapolis! I have lived in Minneapolis and it has horribly cold winters, yet it is packed all year round from people around the world.

A Disney here would make a huge impact and be a great success because it is so central, with mild overall winters. This is a City that gave up once upon a time due to the bombing and is trying to become the City it can be. With a NBA team coming and all the money and pride that will bring. OKC is one the rise!!

The only thing that would hurt a Disney here would be traffic and not building a dedicated Expressway. I just moved here from Los Angeles... Traffic is the difference in going to Disney, Sea World,Knotts or Magic Mountain. Traffic & Parking is Key!!! It will make more sense when the Team arrives here and you will notice a huge flux in drive times compared to now.

djohn
07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Aren't land sales and land ownership public information. It seems like it would not be too dificult to find out if this purchase really took place. WDW in Flordia is around 40 square miles.

traxx
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Aren't land sales and land ownership public information. It seems like it would not be too dificult to find out if this purchase really took place. WDW in Flordia is around 40 square miles.

But if they're doing it under a subsidiary or offshoot name it might be difficult to trace to Disney.

okcustu
07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
what are we smoking here Disney will never and I repeat never build a theme park in Oklahoma. Forget about the fact that Dubai is the next world city and China population is increasing let's go to oklahoma. The fact that everybody has heard a different location Disney has too many projects going on to build another park for a while. I mean they are still trying to fix Eisner's "build half a park, charge just as much" strategy with Paris Studios, California Adventure, and Hong Kong Disneyland. The themed hotel is the least crazy idea

metro
07-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I can't believe this topic is still being discussed.

kevinpate
07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
oh, they took a month off from it, and it's not like the new news is overflowing this morning 8^)

traxx
07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I was a bit surprised that it was brought up again too. I was just trying to answer djohn's question about finding out who bought land. The land for DW was bought using several dummy corporations.

I've just resolved myself that this topic is due to come up again every so often.

Luke
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Just an FYI for those of you who would discount a Disney park ever coming to colder climes...

Addressing just that issue, when Disney built Tokyo Disneyland they did this to main street:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1014/539607910_50894b1296.jpg?v=0

So, if Disney sees a market they want to get into... where there's a will there's a way.

I have a book on Disney Imagineering that shows Cinderella's Castle in Tokyo covered in snow. Just beautiful. Can't seem to find it online.

I just love the way Disney runs things. Imagine if they got a hold of Bricktown. :)

HOT ROD
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
Not bricktown, but somewhere else in the city - YES.

Im sick and tired of people thinking investment ONLY needs to be in Bricktown.

How about we put Disney (if it even were to come hypothetically) South of Bricktown/south of the river? Or in West Downtown? there's also that land E of Bricktown (that used to be the refineries (that would be PERFECT actually and pretty cheap) or somewhere else in the city?

We have LOTS of land, why waste Bricktown - the most expensive land by the way, on a single project. What else could go in there if Disney was there?

nope, I imagine they WONT get a hold of Bricktown; but I'd hope they might consider other BETTER spots in OKC.

by the way, Tokyo's Disney is NOT in downtown Tokyo, its on the edge near Narita.

Luke
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
I guess that could be confusing...

What I meant about Disney getting a hold of Bricktown is... If you've seen non-theme park projects that Disney has done like Downtown Disney, their many resorts or hotels or restaurants... you'll know that Disney puts quality and detail first and their ability to attract quality retailers wouldn't hurt down there.

Not to Micky-fy Bricktown. :)

HOT ROD
07-23-2008, 10:46 PM
np. :)

disneyfan1
06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Hmm, the traffic in that region is terrible and the infrastructure for visitors is already taxed past the limit. A location between OKC and Tulsa would be better.

I totally agree with u!!!!!!!!! Branson would be a terrible place! Walt Disney Didnt want his parks around to much commercial advertisement, and Branson is the biggest commercial place there is!!!!!! And all these people that say it could never happen really need to shut up!!! It could be possible because it would be helpful for people in the midwest and the Disney company would be able to expand very wide here because we have so so so so so so so so so empty unused land!!!It would be perfect for a disney resort! :tiphat:

gurantula35
03-07-2013, 01:44 AM
anything every come about with this? would have been incredible

SoonerDave
03-07-2013, 06:43 AM
anything every come about with this? would have been incredible

Check the dates of the thread - going back to 2007. The original announcement dealt only with an Oklahoma exhibit at Epcot back in '07. The rest following was nothing more than speculation/wishful thinking.

As I noted earlier in the thread, there was a rumor back in the 70's that Disney was looking to build here (and the version of the rumor I heard said it was in south-central OK), but nothing came of it.

The only thing to even remotely take note of is if unknown, oddball companies start buying up chunks of otherwise uninteresting land.

I don't see Disney building any new major domestic parks anytime soon. In fact, it looks like they're getting ready to undertake a major reinvention/reconstruction of the Downtown Disney area following the failed Pleasure Island concept. And Disney has recently shuffled its divisional chiefs, among which was the removal of the Disney Parks chair to a "pre-retirement" position to avoid the notion that she was actually "fired." I believe the guy who has run the Disney Cruise Lines has been moved into his position. Presumably, there's been sentiment within the company that the "Disney Magic" that has been their stock in trade has been ebbing at the parks, decreasing quality standards, lapses in maintenance, all brought to a head by apparent disappointment over the initial public reaction to the opening of the new "Fantasyland" at WDW-Magic Kingdom. The current chief was held accountable for it.

Not to diverge too much, but just to point out that there's nothing to indicate there's anything brewing domestically for Disney parkwise outside their existing parks/hotels.

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2013, 08:44 AM
It would be super sweet if Disney did build a park here. 3 Major interstates, center of the country, subtropical climate (;)) and a lot LOT of land to use. I just don't see it happening though. Me, personally, I wouldn't get the same vibe walking around in a Disney theme park with no palm trees to compliment the year-round weather. Although, I have been to Epcot with trace snow on the ground before. lol. . . So who knows. If Disney builds here, I think that would mean Universal would want to jump into OKC as well since they seem to follow Disney wherever they go(or vise versa idk). Wouldn't that be something though. :p

BTW I've never done to much exploring around Orlando, but from what I've heard it is pretty similar to OKC, with the exception of the climate.

venture
03-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I would think Texas would be the likely pick for any new park if they want to go middle of the country. I would also wonder how much our inability to provide a substantial amount of water would come into play for an operation that big.

New Disney parks have been rumored all over the country over the years. Pretty much pick a location with a major highway intersection (major being the actual cross country interstates) and someone has thought about it before. About the only one that had anything behind it was Disney's America in Virginia that actually started to break ground, but was cancelled due to the outcry from historians regarding the land it was going on. The project was scrapped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_America

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Texas doesn't exist, Venture. It's just a big ol' myth. ;)

venture
03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Texas doesn't exist, Venture. It's just a big ol' myth. ;)

Then we're my damn ocean front property! :)

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Then we're my damn ocean front property! :)Not in . . . texas . . . lol ;P

Celebrator
03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
It would be super sweet if Disney did build a park here. 3 Major interstates, center of the country, subtropical climate (;)) and a lot LOT of land to use. I just don't see it happening though. Me, personally, I wouldn't get the same vibe walking around in a Disney theme park with no palm trees to compliment the year-round weather. Although, I have been to Epcot with trace snow on the ground before. lol. . . So who knows. If Disney builds here, I think that would mean Universal would want to jump into OKC as well since they seem to follow Disney wherever they go(or vise versa idk). Wouldn't that be something though. :p

BTW I've never done to much exploring around Orlando, but from what I've heard it is pretty similar to OKC, with the exception of the climate.

Lived in Orlando for 8 years before moving here in '09...can't think of any similarities to OKC there...and that's just fine. OKC feels real, genuine. Orlando feels transient, with very little city pride. We have enjoyed OKC's non-Orlandoness...to be frank. Unmatched place for a fun family vacay, but living here is a lot better!

Plutonic Panda
03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Lived in Orlando for 8 years before moving here in '09...can't think of any similarities to OKC there...and that's just fine. OKC feels real, genuine. Orlando feels transient, with very little city pride. We have enjoyed OKC's non-Orlandoness...to be frank. Unmatched place for a fun family vacay, but living here is a lot better!You know, I have heard that too, alot. lol... I think I saw a bunch of people say that on CityData forum. Anyways, I wouldn't know ahha... If you've lived there that long, I'll take you word for it. I've just been to Disney and Universal a few times and that's it lol. :)