View Full Version : Downtown towers question

JWil
07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I know we have some skyscraper posts littered over this forum, but I was wondering if anyone on here knew the story heights of the buildings downtown, for Chase, KMG, etc.

Thanks!

And oh, still dreaming of a Devon supertower. Our skyline begs for a signature tower. And oh, a friend of mine says her daughter's boyfriend's mom (phew, I'm tired!) is taking a job with Devon and she says she's helping with their downtown re-organization. Take that for what it's worth. My friend is going to ask her about that one soon.

OU Adonis
07-25-2007, 12:19 AM
Tallest towers in OKC

1) Chase, 504 feet , 37 stories
2) First National, 446 feet (not counting spire), 33 stories
3) KMG , ??? feet, 30 stories

Did you know if Devon built a 70 story biulding, that would put is in big time company among towers.

Saying that, a 70 story building would dwarf everything around it.

TaurusNYC
07-25-2007, 12:21 AM
The World Almanac lists all the buildings in North America over 400 feet tall. Another good source is Emprois.com.

Pete
07-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Kerr McGee is 30 floors, City Place is 33, Oklahoma Tower is 31.

okcpulse
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Chase Tower (Downtown) 500ft, 36 floors, built in 1971
First National Tower (Downtown) 493ft (446 w/o spire), 32 floors, built in 1931
City Place (Downtown) 440ft, 33 floors, built in 1931
Oklahoma Tower (Downtown) 425ft, 31 floors, built in 1982
Kerr McGee Plaza (Downtown) 393ft, 30 floors, built in 1968
BOK Plaza (Downtown) 310ft, 16 floors, built in 1972
Leadership Square North (Downtown) 308ft, 22 floors, built in 1984
Regency Tower (Downtown) 288ft, 24 floors, built in 1966

Misty
07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Soooo.........has anyone ever gone down the City Place slide???????

Kerry
07-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Emporis Buildings - International Database about Buildings, Construction and the Real-Estate industry (http://www.emporis.com)

okclee
07-25-2007, 03:30 PM

I can say that I have and it is the best slide / ride ever. They should sell tickets to go down this slide although it was a little bumpy at times.

I can't give to many details of when and how as to incriminating myself.

Misty
07-25-2007, 03:35 PM
I can say that I have and it is the best slide / ride ever. They should sell tickets to go down this slide although it was a little bumpy at times.

I can't give to many details of when and how as to incriminating myself.

I may or may not have done it a time or two myself. It was soooo much fun. The second time that I may or may not have done it I may or may not have brought a sheet and wrapped myself up in it. I flew down that thing like greased lightning.........

keving
07-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Can you explain this please?

okclee
07-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Using a sheet to go faster , I don't know why I didn't think of that. So much fun, don't you think that they should open this up and sell tickets for the slide??

Misty
07-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Can you explain this please?

I've tried to find info or history about it and haven't had any luck. It's the only building I've ever seen that has this. It's a spiral slide that runs down the center of the building for emergency evacuation. And yes OKCLee I do think they should open it up and sell tickets! So before anyone goes to check it out I'm quite sure it's not open to the public or anyone else to use and the security guard would be all over you! It's top secret how you even find it.......or where you come out.........

metro
07-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Wow, if this is true, that is new to me. Been here my whole life and haven't heard that one.

stlokc
07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
I've tried to find info or history about it and haven't had any luck. It's the only building I've ever seen that has this. It's a spiral slide that runs down the center of the building for emergency evacuation. And yes OKCLee I do think they should open it up and sell tickets! So before anyone goes to check it out I'm quite sure it's not open to the public or anyone else to use and the security guard would be all over you! It's top secret how you even find it.......or where you come out.........

When I was in college, I went down the slide at the First National Center. I didn't know any other buildings had them. I may or may not have had an adult beverage prior to taking the trip.

Misty
07-26-2007, 08:44 AM
When I was in college, I went down the slide at the First National Center. I didn't know any other buildings had them. I may or may not have had an adult beverage prior to taking the trip.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's another one! Oh my my my my my........we need to set up a slide field trip.

metro
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Check this out. After interested in this topic, I researched a little with my friend Google. I found this on virtualtourist.com. I also found some info on some other websites. On virtualtourist, they have an "off the beaten path in OKC" section and give insight to things most locals don't know.

Most locals don't know about this either... At the SouthEast corner of Robinson and Couch street is a 32 story building. (1960's era) There is an Interurban restaurant on the ground floor. Anyway, if you sneak in and go to the top floor, you can slide down the spiral slide located in one of the elevator shafts!! The purpose of the slide is for emergency escape, but it's great fun!! It get's quite dusty at the bottom. The 'ride' ends when you kick through some double doors and land in the center of the elevator lobby on the ground floor. Be prepared to run from the security guard.

Here's a pic of the guy who posted the info and him going down the "slide".
http://p.vtourist.com/1/556464-FUN_Escape_Slide-Oklahoma_City.jpg

jbrown84
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
That's crazy.

I don't think I could do that.

keving
07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Okay... I so want to do this now! A 32 story slide sounds like fun. Might need to bring along something to sit on due to the dust and keeping speed up.

Misty
07-26-2007, 02:49 PM
If you get arrested don't blame us....LOL

CuatrodeMayo
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I have heard of this slide. Some of my wife's college friends had "ridden" it.

HOT ROD
07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I;ve seen it, but I didn't opt to ride it.