View Full Version : SF Chinatown-style Dim Sum and Noodles Comes to OKC

jpeaceokc
07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
On a whim, I stopped at a new Asian restaurant on Classen (3009 N Classen Blvd), the Hong Kong Dim Sum.

In the 1970s, I lived in the Bay area of Northern California for a couple of years, and my taste in Asian food was really formed by San Francisco's Chinatown. Well, I found those same tastes and styles at this new restaurant. I ordered a combination pan fried noodles, and it was HUGE. I only ate a third of it, and brought the rest home for two more meals.

They also have the traditional dim sum, complete with rolling tables and steamer cannisters just like they do in SF. And the price was much more reasonable than OKC's other dim sum, the Grand House on Sats and Suns. Hong Kong has dim sum every day they are open, all day (they are closed on Tuesdays). Their dim sum are priced at $2.15, $2.85, $3.65. I tried several, and they typically had 3 to 6 pieces on them The pan fried dumplings were "to die for" and are unlike any similar dumplings at other Asian restaurants in OKC. I spent too much money, but I brought some of everything home, so when divided by 3 meals, it wasn't so bad, hehehe.

They have a menu with pictures, and they were real good at explaining what's what.

Let's see, I tried the jalapeno's with shrimp (half a jalapeno with a large steamed shrimp in the middle, covered with a nice sauce), pan fried dumplings, turnip cakes (don't "turn up" your nose, these were very good, I dipped them in a brown sauce), and a pork and shrimp dumpling. Also custard tarts for dessert.

Hong Kong Dim Sum is a worthy addition to Oklahoma City's Asian cuisine that brings "something new" to the Classen area.

NO, I did not get any free food for writing this review. I just want to make sure they get enough bidness to stay in bidness.

metro
07-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks jpeace for the food review. I'll have to check it out sometime. I don't know if you know or not, but there is a food review section on OKCTalk, it's called the "Food Court". You might find it worthwhile if you like to sample OKC's vast variety of restaurants. There are many user reviews you will find helpful.

xd0nn4x
07-23-2007, 05:07 PM
I eat here all the time! i love it, its cheaper than the other dim sum place here!

HOT ROD
07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
definitely thanks for the heads-up on Hong Kong restaurant.

I will definitely visit on my next visit to the city. We usually go to Grand House for dim sum when we visit (which has been slacking lately) so Im glad OKC has a new option.

And its in the Asia District to boot!! Great.

metro
07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
I thought there was another place on Classen just called Dim Sum. Is that not there anymore? I think it was somewhere around NW 31st.