View Full Version : Summer terror coverage

Easy180
07-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Anyone else enjoying the 24 hour news stations round the clock coverage of

SUMMER TERROR '07

Parading out the ex-Intelligence experts who explain to us the real chance of a terror attack this summer

As if this summer is any different than the last 5 since 9/11?

I understand spreading fear makes for solid ratings, but please spare us the constant coverage of it since there is actually zero actual news to report

And scene....

Rifleman2C
07-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Easy,

Although I don't get the TV you do over here, and therefore I really don't know exactly who you are talking about (Fox, CSPAN, ABC...??), I will say this... when the news is slow, you bring on the folks that will further an agenda of your choosing. That way, when something does go down, at least you can say "as seen on (Fox, CSPAN, ABC...insert network name here) the Terror continues..." And of course, that network suddenly looks like a bunch of geniuses. Ratings ploy? Oh yeah...

And of course, if nothing happens, well, Americans have a very short attention span, so who really gets hurt if your warnings aren't needed?

The problem I see is this: How many times are we going to allow someone to yell 'fire' in our crowded movie house? When will people become truly inured to it? Or are they already there?

flintysooner
07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Are you concluding there is no threat of another terrorist attack on US soil? Is there information you possess that leads to your opinion? Just curious.

Easy180
07-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Are you concluding there is no threat of another terrorist attack on US soil? Is there information you possess that leads to your opinion? Just curious.

Nope just saying they aren't reporting anything new

Just wondering why this summer is any different than the previous five...If I see them report increased chatter one more time I will...Well probably just change the channel, but fear reporting w/o anything substantial to report just plain annoys the heck out of me

Rifleman2C
07-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Certainly not... I'm reasonably certain that America and Americans are still targets from many terrorist's point of view. But is there a need to discuss it constantly in the media, exposing anyone to the depressing realism that there are people out there that despise and choose to try to destroy how we as Americans (or 'Westerners') live? Just how will that help us as citizens? Will that make us more vigilant, or just make people more paranoid?

Does giving terrorism a spotlight help or hinder the process of the terrorists? Although it makes all people within the reach of the coverage aware of the problem, when does it go to far and start to be counterproductive? After all, the point of most organizations that want to strike 'terror' into the hearts of their enemy is to make their viewpoint known at a minimum, isn't it?

I wish I had something more relevant and controversial to post here so that you could debate my opinion, but it's really just my opinion. I just don't believe that anyone can plan for every contingency, no matter how well informed they believe they are...

flintysooner
07-22-2007, 02:37 PM
I thought maybe you were dismissing the July 17th report that concluded that Al-Qaida had restored several capabilities needed for a US strike and that it appeared the group was stepping up efforts to position agents inside the US.

I wasn't arguing - just wondering.

Here's a link to a Yahoo article:
Report says terror threat will continue - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070717/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_terror_threat_4)

Rifleman2C
07-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I wasn't attempting an argument, either. But I believe that a citizen of the United States would have to have hidden his or her head well under a rock for many years not to realize that we are still on some organization's top ten lists for 'social and economic disruption'.

And to quote Easy180...

Nope just saying they aren't reporting anything new

Just wondering why this summer is any different than the previous five...If I see them report increased chatter one more time I will...Well probably just change the channel, but fear reporting w/o anything substantial to report just plain annoys the heck out of me

He actually bears out my point pretty well... he seems to have heard there is a 'fire' threatened somewhere in our 'theatre', but will probably 'just change the channel', mostly because it seems he's heard it before.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm just happy that they seem to have finally STFU about the bird flu and/or West Nile.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Does giving terrorism a spotlight help or hinder the process of the terrorists? Although it makes all people within the reach of the coverage aware of the problem, when does it go to far and start to be counterproductive? After all, the point of most organizations that want to strike 'terror' into the hearts of their enemy is to make their viewpoint known at a minimum, isn't it?

When we let the media constantly remind us of the fear that the threat of terrorism should bring us, the terrorists win. Therefore the terrorists have had an edge on the war on terror all along, and nothing needed to happen on the homefront. I agree with all who have said that we just have to go about our lives and not think about it. Don't be stupid about things, but not let it change our daily lives.

But then again we are the media because we make the ratings. If we turn off the television whenever they go into another terror-pundit-talkinghead-spewathon, they'll slowly turn to more relevant news and less of the fear-factor. Somehow I doubt that will happen, however, that's just the way we are. Fear is entertaining to most people. Makes the heart beat faster and something to talk about at the water cooler.

There's always the BBC and NPR, they are not so bad. At least if they have a discussion about it, its about some substantial fact.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't know one single soul that is "afraid" of a terror attack happening. I don't know of anybody that thinks about it at any time other than when some yahoo on TV is telling them to.

It's only the media saying it. And they're spouting off about reports like the one linked above...And those reports have been coming out for 40 years. They've all said the same thing, just with the names changing over time.

Media=Fail

Again.

flintysooner
07-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I am surprised actually by your views.

It seems to me that a document like the National Intelligence Estimate deserves to be covered by the press.

And it does seem to me as well that the longer we go without another attack should make us want to be more vigilant than less.

Easy180
07-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I am surprised actually by your views.

It seems to me that a document like the National Intelligence Estimate deserves to be covered by the press.

And it does seem to me as well that the longer we go without another attack should make us want to be more vigilant than less.

I would hope by now most Americans understand the importance of reporting suspicious activity especially those in major cities

A document explaining that Al Qaeda still wants to attack the U.S?....I had no idea they were wavering

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
A document explaining that Al Qaeda still wants to attack the U.S?....I had no idea they were wavering

Hell yes they were! They were actually looking at focusing their attention on inner peace and total consciousness, but once they heard that Nichole was no longer Paris' BFF, they got ALLLLL sorts of PO'd, and renewed their vows of jihad against us pigs.