View Full Version : Kid Nation TV show

Easy180
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Anyone set to watch this little gem of a show?

Think I would be a lot more interested if they would have sent them to D.C. instead to try and run the White House and Congress

:please:

Kid Nation is a reality show that is to air on the CBS network in the fall of 2007, filling the time slot of the serial drama Jericho.[1] The show will feature 40 children, aged 8-15, living in Bonanza City, NM. The children will be required to create a functioning society in the town, as well as set up a government system used to solve problems in the town. The children will be attempting to prove that they can create a functioning society.

At the end of each episode an elected council of kids award the "Gold Star", worth $20,000, to a fellow participant. Participants were also paid $5,000 for their involvement in the show's taping.

The show stresses the pressure of creating a viable society. The official CBS promo depicts children arguing with one another, crying, and falling over with exhaustion in challenges.[2] Despite this, a recent article claimed that no serious injuries were reported during filming (only a "minor burn" from one child who was cooking a meal). [3]

The show has already proven controversial, with Variety columnist Brian Lowry commenting, "Kid Nation is only the latest program to use kids as fodder for fun and profit, which doesn't make the trend any less disturbing."[4]

Despite being promoted as an experiment to see if kids can create a working society on their own, it is obvious from the original promo for the show[5] that the shows' producers have provided basic social structure and activities, making the whole experience something substantially different than The Lord of the Flies, and more typical of your typical reality show.[6]

The program was originally scheduled to air in the summer of 2007.

ShiroiHikari
09-03-2007, 02:56 PM
I think I'll pass on this show. I'm not a big fan of reality TV.

kevinpate
09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
As I'm no fan of Big Brother or other such in the genre, I don't see me getting all wrapped up in a season of Kid Brothers

Jack Wonder
09-18-2007, 02:01 PM
This show has had some interesting controversy brewing during the summer. I may check it out, but there are too many shows on TV this year!!? ....I may have to skip it in the long run.