View Full Version : Did WNBA all-star Lauren Jackson buy a home in OKC?

Theo Walcott
07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
The denizens on the Seattle Times forum seem to think that she has purchased a $1.6 million home here.

The Seattle Times: View topic - Lauren Jackson buys home in OKC (http://forums.seattletimes.nwsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17423&sid=7f883ecfc5141f3ac2b69255a80869cb)

Is there ANY truth to this rumor?

Theo Walcott
07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Looks to be nothing more than speculation.

Sports | Offseason changes looming for Storm | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003792489_storm17.html)

In fact, she says she will not play in the Midwest if the team moves. Lovely.

Luke
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Good thing OKC isn't the Midwest.

:)

Blangdon
07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Good...we dont want her anyway! What's her deal with the "not in oklahoma" crap? Has she ever BEEN to Oklahoma? Ever spent any time here? Ever listened to how the Hornets seamed to enjoy us? blegh to her

metro
07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
No she hasn't been Blangdon. The article quoted her saying that she's never been. Of course, like most coasters they judge based on lack of experience.

JWil
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, she probably doesn't realize that America's interior isn't totally devoid and barren, like Australia's is.

Oh well, she's in the WNBA. That whole deal is irrelevant anyway and wouldn't survive without NBA subsidies.

OkieKAS
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Jackson considers Opals v cash

By Grantley Bernard
July 13, 2007

Another factor in Jackson's decision about her 2008 WNBA commitment will revolve around where the Storm plays as there is a strong chance it might relocate from Seattle to Oklahoma City.

But if the Storm moves to Oklahoma City from the city Jackson considers her second home, she will definitely not be joining teammates in Tornado Alley, preferring to play in LA or Phoenix, if anywhere.

"It's been my life playing (in Seattle) for the last seven years and it's a tough decision," Jackson said.

"Seattle always seems like home and I want to play out my career here. I don't want to go anywhere else.

"There are some teams I'd like to play for, but I can't say I'd like to go to the east coast or Oklahoma City.

Jackson considers Opals v cash | The Daily Telegraph (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22067637-5001023,00.html?from=public_rss)

Easy180
07-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow...What a crushing blow from someone who no one has ever heard of

metro
07-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Actually she's pretty big in Australia Easy180. I get your point, but it could hurt outsiders opinions. The part that has me skeptical is that the article stated a $1.6 million dollar home in the NW39th Street Enclave. I don't know any houses in that area even remotely close to that price range. Unless it was a little further north in the Nichols Hills area, which is not too far away. I suppose the out of state newspaper could have got that mixed up since they're not familiar with the area. I guess we'll know either way sooner or later.

Stinger
07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Actually she's pretty big in Australia Easy180.

And I'm huge in Europe.

Turanacus
07-18-2007, 09:20 AM
She's not buying a home in OKC. It was a joke by a blogger in Seattle, he said she bought a $1.6m home in the gay district. From what I've seen of that area, there isn't a home worth $16,000.

It was supposed to be funny. btw, she only makes $93,000 per year (the league maximum)

BDP
07-18-2007, 09:36 AM
What's her deal with the "not in oklahoma" crap?

Maybe it has something to do with the intolerant image we talked about in another thread that's fostered by the apparent focus of our legislators to restrict the rights of people they (we?) don't approve of?

Obviously, I can't say why any one person might say "never in Oklahoma" or never in the Midwest, but many people do, just like you hear the same here from people about the coasts. But I do know we have an image of intolerance and that's going to affect people's willingness to live their lives here and make it their home. The reality is that a lot of that intolerance is openly embraced and even reflected by our statutes, so it's pretty impossible to deny it in an effort to alter that image. I think people take the position that "we don't want 'em here, and if they don't like it, screw 'em" and it's reflected at the capital. So, really if we collectively take the position that we don't want some kinds of people here, then should we really be surprised by someone saying "not in Oklahoma"? I mean, why would anyone want to go where they feel unwelcome? Isn’t this actually the exact result that many here are looking for in discouraging certain lifestyles through legislation or protest?

In the end, it's about image, as many places have many of the same intolerant attitudes and laws that we have, but they don’t necessarily suffer the same image we do. So, we would almost have to take an open stand and be a leader in embracing cultural tolerance. I don't see that happening any time soon, so we probably should get used to "not in Oklahoma" until the day comes that ignorant people look at it in a different light. And that's going to take more than just saying, "well, screw them".

In the end, this specific case could be about oceans, mountains, or mild climate, none of which we can lay claim to. But, considering our rigid cultural image, that is in fact openly embraces by many people and leaders here, it really shouldn’t surprise anyone that some are not going to want to locate here.

OkieKAS
07-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Wow...What a crushing blow from someone who no one has ever heard of

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE OKIE! :congrats:

We don't take too kindly to anti - Oklahoma remarks 'round these parts....
If we ever stop being offended at anti-okie remarks, then we should not live here any longer.

But grant her some credit at least she got the part about "Tornado Alley" right.

http://www.tornadochaser.net/images/frequency.gif

OKLAHOMA! We live it, we breathe it, we even know when to RUN from it!

Turanacus
07-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I've spent a lot of time in Seattle, if I lived there I would not be happy about relocating to Oklahoma City - no matter how cool people say it is.

Easy180
07-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I've spent a lot of time in Seattle, if I lived there I would not be happy about relocating to Oklahoma City - no matter how cool people say it is.

Well I've spent a lot of time in Oklahoma City, if I lived there I would not be happy about relocating to Seattle- no matter how fresh the fish is up there

:LolLolLol

Luke
07-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I was born in Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle. Granted, I only lived there till I was six. However, I've gone back for vacation several times. It's a nice city. Wouldn't wanna live there though. I love OKC.

The least she could do is give it a chance. Sheesh.

HOT ROD
07-20-2007, 03:08 AM
I know, what an idiot. She probably wont be welcome WHEN the Storm relocates to OKC based on her ignorant comments.

Will she even play a game if she joins another team and they play the OKC Storm?

If so, I hope you guys boooo the hell out of her!!